Super Karaoke Karaoke

Torino Karaoke(Wiang Inn Hotel) Karaoke

Looks like a real barrel of fun :D

Rinrada,

Par Club(Inn Come Hotel) Discotheque

Is that the place in the entertainment complex which has

a half decent show with some shapely little singers/dancers

and then next minute turns into a techno-disco :o

and the floor vibrates and your eardrums almost burst?

Apart from that it ain't bad for a few beers. :D

Thats the idea.....unfortunately at the mo i am in North London and not Northern Thailand but will be nipping over for a long weekend in October and will hopefully do a runaround.

In the mean time if there is anybody actually there (Chianger R) why not as suggested bang in a couple of reviews..... :o

The 'Disco Street' as it is called by local residents, with the Sperm-club on the corner with Paholyotin Road and the Par-club on the other end is now full of entertainment places (the sperm is a certain kind of whale, somebody told me).

The nice Funfunfun disco is now called Hotbeat.

The loudest disco is located under the Saenpu Hotel. The good thing is, that you don't have language problems there. Nobody understands nobody anyhow.

The beautiful Space Quest Disco closed its doors already more than two years ago. The official reason was that they didn't have a license to sell foreign whiskey which they did (not having the license but selling the whiskey). A pity, the shows were great.

The Irish Bar is probably back to Ireland. All bars at the backside of the nightmarket disappeared as they changed it to an open air market place. Only French Thierry still has his reggae-bar and he is doing fine.

It is a place where many foreign teachers meet.

The Yed-yod street (from the clocktower to the Wat Yed Yod) has a rather bad name in town among the locals. There are however some very nice restaurants (La Luna, Siam Corner, The New Kitchen).

Some bars there are not really recommendable. One big educational institute in Chiangrai tells its foreign teachers not to be seen in this street, which is not really justified.

All go-go bars are closed. The town-council of Chiangrai has decided that the town should have a Buddhist image.

We wish them succes!

The part of the Paholyotin Road close to nightmarket and busstation has a lot of nice restaurants and terrasses. The Old Dutch, Ayes Place, Da Vinci Pizzeria, the Funny House of Klaus and Kitty and Bo's Place (the former Bierstube).

Nightlife? It depends so to say.

The 'Disco Street' as it is called by local residents, with the Sperm-club on the corner with Paholyotin Road and the Par-club on the other end  is now full of entertainment places (the sperm is a certain kind of whale, somebody told me).

The nice Funfunfun disco is now called Hotbeat.

The loudest disco is located under the Saenpu Hotel. The good thing is, that you don't have language problems there. Nobody understands nobody anyhow.

The beautiful Space Quest Disco closed its doors already more than two years ago. The official reason was that they didn't have a license to sell foreign whiskey which they did (not having the license but selling the whiskey). A pity, the shows were great.

The Irish Bar is probably back to Ireland. All bars at the backside of the nightmarket disappeared as they changed it to an open air market place. Only French Thierry still has his reggae-bar and he is doing fine.

It is a place where many foreign teachers meet.

The Yed-yod street (from the clocktower to the Wat Yed Yod) has a rather bad name in town among the locals. There are however some very nice restaurants (La Luna, Siam Corner, The New Kitchen).

Some bars there are not really recommendable. One big educational institute in Chiangrai tells its foreign teachers not to be seen in this street, which is not really justified.

All go-go bars are closed. The town-council of Chiangrai has decided that the town should have a Buddhist image.

We wish them succes!

The part of the Paholyotin Road close to nightmarket and busstation has a lot of nice restaurants and terrasses. The Old Dutch, Ayes Place, Da Vinci Pizzeria, the Funny House of Klaus and Kitty and Bo's Place (the former Bierstube).

Nightlife? It depends so to say.

innacuracies

The street is called Jetyod! and I see teachers there all the time. who told you the go-go bars are closed? I was there last week. It's the low season!

and you mean the Nice Kitchen restaurant.

The bars are a soft-core Tapae Gate as my friend says.

Instead of just a listing, how's about a review of these places?

Where Else Disco----met my girlfriend there. She is a cleaning lady.

Par Club---hooked up with a university student

Jetyod Bars---goto barladies

Night Bazaar---free cabaret shows

Sperm Pub---dirty danced with a katoey that used to be my student

The new pub above Where Else---started dating a former student of mine I met there. They have turntables, my first love.

some pub across the sperm pub---got a lapdance from one of those tight dressed singers

The Go-Go Bar---hilltruibe girls. see barladies

I LOVE CHIANG RAI

innacuracies

The street is called Jetyod! and I see teachers there all the time. who told you the go-go bars are closed? I was there last week. It's the low season!

and you mean the Nice Kitchen restaurant.

The bars are a soft-core Tapae Gate as my friend says.

Thanks Khun Tyree D. for correcting me.

I had a vague remembrance that 'The Kitchen' restaurant, after moving from its old location at the Paholyotin Road (at present days 'The Old Dutch') to the location at the Wat Yed-Yod, was renamed in 'New Kitchen'' for a while. And 'Nouvelle Cuisine' is not an appropriate name for a Thai restaurant.

My informers concerning the go-go's are old friends of the late Lothar (Lobo). The places might still exist, but here are no ladies with invisible clothes anymore, who in a rather clumsy way try to demolish steel poles (and that with a lot of strong and overheated foreigners glazing at them without offering them a helping hand).

What I understand is that the owners gave up concerning the poles and put karaoke machines next to them.

I think we are talking about the same street, even if we spell its name different.

There is a certain similarity between Yed-yod and Jetyod.

The funny thing is that the official name of the street is different. The real Thanon Yed Yod is the short one from the Paholyotin to the main gate of the temple.

But in a thread about nightlife it might be better not to talk about the sacred expression Yed Yod, even if it is just part of a streetname. It refers to the seven rings on the rooftop of the temple.

Thanks again Khun Tyree D.!

you're welcome. and I wish I could edit some previous posts. I wanted to clarify the students I "hooked up with" were just kisses and I don't teach at their school anymore and they are over 18 (but not 20?).

I thought you put a pun in "Yet Yod". we know what yet means in Thai.

I've heard pre-2004 Chiang Rai stories and it sounds like all I missed was more underaged BGs and more drugs. I can live without those.

• 5 months later...

Isn't it depressing?

Now everybody should understand why we love the mornings in Chiang Rai.

Clean air, silence, bird singing, awakening markets and that kind of stuff.

And this not after a night of excitement, walking around with this mixture of dusty brains and jet-lag kind turbulence in your head, no, after a good night sleep.

That's what we do in Chiang Rai during the night: Sleep!

If you start with it, you get used to it. And after a while you don't even know better. It's addictive. You start with a little bit of sleep and soon you need more!

Now it is very cold before the sun (if..) shows up. So it is very important to have curtains to make the night longer. Long nights are good for sinners. But sin is banned from Chiang Rai.

The number of foreigners settling down in Chiang Rai seems to double each year.

They seem to come here to sleep. The most adventurous ones get themselves some satellite discs in the garden, sometimes surrounded by their favorite flowers.

Yes, it can be very exciting here.

Good night!

Limbo.

Chiang Rai is the place that a lot of people to make fun of because it`s so quiet. But that`s exactly the reason that we live here.

Some people like to stay out in the villages of there respective partners,hopefully because that`s their choice(maybe it`s not always their choice) :o. We don`t hear criticism of this ,do we. Surely one of the biggest concerns that one may have when one decides to settle down somewhere is the number of people that stay there to ensure that we will have friends to converse with. Fortunately, for it`s size Chiang Rai has a large expat. population.

The infrastructure here is advanced enough to suit all needs. Not everyone measures their quality of life by the amount of up to date movies they can rent or by the amount of places they can have a good steak to eat.

You can keep your Groong Tayp`s and your Chiang Mai`s.

Keep up with the bad press about Chiang Rai guys and hopefully it will stay the way it is for a little while longer.

I couldn`t care less that we don`t have a train line all the way up here!

No Sky Trains for me Kop Khun Krap.

Clean breathable air in my town suits me just fine. :D

LONG LIVE CHIANG RAI.ssshhhhh. :D

Edited by chang35baht