Scuba Dive Training And Certification Agencies

bazmlb

Thanks fro the info bazmlb,

YMCA Scuba has ceased to issue certifications as of December 31st, 2008, hence the link doesn't work either. They still can re-issue lost cards however. It looks like YMCA has morphed into SEI Diving. http://www.seidiving.org

Also not on the list is the now defunct National Association of Scuba Diving Schools (NASDS). It was absorbed by SSI in 2001. SSI is supporting C-card replacements for NASDS divers, although some, but not all records are missing prior to 1977 due to a fire in the NASDS headquarters that year.

• 4 months later...

I meant to post this here when you started this thread, but forgot.

For anyone looking to do their academics online, there are many bogus websites out there, such as onlinescubalessons.com, claiming they can provide a new diver with an academic referral which is good at any agency. This is false. It is a good warning to anyone looking to to their certification online.

From PADI:

SPECIAL NOTICES:

Aquatrophics, USA — Please note that neither David Holt, Aquastrophics,

SDA (Scuba Divers of America), nor onlinescubalessons.

com have been PADI Members at any time. Please also note that

the academic program offered by these three entities is not valid

for PADI Open Water Diver referrals or certification. WRSTC

Posting April 3, 2006: “At a recent meeting, the members of the

Recreational Scuba Training Council (RSTC) determined it was

important to provide collective clarification regarding agency-neutral

online training programs. Over the past two or three years,

a number of websites not affiliated with a training agency have

launched online scuba-training programs. On these sites, the customer

is led to believe that all training agencies will accept these

programs to meet their academic requirements for scuba training.

This is not correct. Because of concerns about the educational

validity of these programs and the inability to monitor the quality

of education and services, as well as liability and insurance issues,

each RSTC member organization has independently determined

it cannot accept these non-affiliated training programs to meet its

academic requirements. Before customers sign up for any online

training program, they should first check with the retail store,

instructor or training agency they wish to receive certification

through to verify if that online program is acceptable for meeting

the training agency’s requirements.”

To legitimately complete the academics portion of the basic open water diver course, PADI, SDI, SSI, and NAUI each offer an eLearning option which allows you to complete the academics using independent study, the results of which you then take to a PADI dive center or PADI instructor who will review your exam results and prescriptively teach any topics which you have not fully grasped.

PADI eLearning

SSI Online Services

SDI Online Training

NAUI eLearning

• 1 month later...

I would like to know what the diferances in schools are in relation to what certs I would need to dive anywhere (in the world) as opposed to getting a local cert. What I mean is if i get a PADI open water diver cert here in Thailand, will that be usable in the USA or will it not be recognized? Sorry if this seems basic, but im new to diving and if im spending that much to get a cert I want to be sure its good anywhere.

If you do a PADI open water course here in Thailand it is valid any where in the world. Thailand is one of the cheapest places to get your certification. Although the certification may be universal around Thailand the level of service you receive between different shops will vary. Before signing up for a course have a chat with the staff and check out the boat and equipment you will be using. You can usually get a good impression from having a chat and a look round the shop. :D

If you do a PADI open water course here in Thailand it is valid any where in the world. Thailand is one of the cheapest places to get your certification. Although the certification may be universal around Thailand the level of service you receive between different shops will vary. Before signing up for a course have a chat with the staff and check out the boat and equipment you will be using. You can usually get a good impression from having a chat and a look round the shop. :D

To add: ask if you get every day the same teacher and speak with this guy.

It happens that people speak with a nice sale guy in opinion that this will be their teacher, but the Instructor is someone complete different. Than ask how many dives/how many days etc etc. If the boat has hot shower or not is the least concern. As more dives as better and as more time to ask questions between.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

You should also add ANDI. They have been around for years and are renowned for teaching Tech and Rebreather diving forever, they are also internationally recognized, several instructors in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If you do a PADI open water course here in Thailand it is valid any where in the world. Thailand is one of the cheapest places to get your certification. Although the certification may be universal around Thailand the level of service you receive between different shops will vary. Before signing up for a course have a chat with the staff and check out the boat and equipment you will be using. You can usually get a good impression from having a chat and a look round the shop. biggrin.gif

It happens that people speak with a nice sale guy in opinion that this will be their teacher, but the Instructor is someone complete different. Than ask how many dives/how many days etc etc. If the boat has hot shower or not is the least concern. As more dives as better and as more time to ask questions between.

PADI open water is shore based, pool and/or beach.

No boat. No real diving.

If you do a PADI open water course here in Thailand it is valid any where in the world. Thailand is one of the cheapest places to get your certification. Although the certification may be universal around Thailand the level of service you receive between different shops will vary. Before signing up for a course have a chat with the staff and check out the boat and equipment you will be using. You can usually get a good impression from having a chat and a look round the shop. biggrin.gif

PADI open water is shore based, pool and/or beach.

No boat. No real diving.

Shore diving or boat diving has nothing to do with PADI but with the Divecenter where you do the course.

There will in every PADI Open Water course be confined water (can be pool or confined open water), theory (can be done at home or in the classroom) and open water diving (can be from shore or from the boat).

^ Yeah, nonsensical post from 52. Also to call shore diving not "real diving" makes no sense. Plenty of fantastic dive sites accessible from shore, and it's often a more difficult entry (walking with dive gear on, crossing the surf, long surface swim) than off of a boat. One could just as easily say that diving off a boat isn't "real diving" because in some cases it is so easy compared to shore diving.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

At 65 years old, I have gotten the urge to learn to dive and become certified. The idea of visiting different dive centers prior to signing up, per another post, sounds reasonable, however I am up in the middle of Issan.

Any advice/recommendations for me on how best to proceed?

Thank you.

At 65 years old, I have gotten the urge to learn to dive and become certified. The idea of visiting different dive centers prior to signing up, per another post, sounds reasonable, however I am up in the middle of Issan.

Any advice/recommendations for me on how best to proceed?

Thank you.

Depends where you want to go. If in the Phuket area, I just sent you a PM.

• 1 month later...

Archived