Samosas

Gladiator

As we live a little way out out of town - and had a craving for samosas

This afternoon we cooked our own samosas.

Bought the frozen pastry from Makro 's- cheap!

We researched Samosa fillings on the web but we did look at other sites to mix and match

http://www.curryhous...tw/jasmine5.htm as our main one.

The cooking of the fillings was easy. We did look at many other websites to mix and match but used many powderd spices but were true to the ingredients - onilion garlic chiliy, potaotoes' peas; chicken etc . It was frustrating but fun as we are enthusiastic, if not adept cooks.

The hard part was the 'Origami' of folding the pastry over the ingredients and cooking in oil at the right temperature.

All in all not bad!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi their and i can tell you how to make very good samosas as i trained as a chef .give me a call and i will explain over the phone. forget recipes on internet as their are so many ways to make them. my way has been well tried and tested. Rob. 085-7060105

• 1 month later...

I too love samosas. If you ever go to Bangkok, try Little India. Opposite the new, sort of department store, at the entrance to the soi with lots of shops in it, is a family that makes delightful samosas. If you continue down that soi, about 100 metres , is an excellent Indian grocery shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I always read posts around but didn't post. But I have to reply to this thread....if it's Samosa's you're looking for you have to go to Indian Chaat Restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 23. The best samosa's I've had so far. Will try to get their number next time.

Suraj, 2 posts in one hour, in 2 different forums?Each mentioning ONLY one,the same restaurant,? Sounds Fishy? However you do not HAVE to go to that one. Plenty of places make Samosas. But Little India supplies an Indian population , which you must know about. So Little India gives you a big choice of restaurants , in one small area - a good choice, many different qualities and prices But the Samosa at the entrance of the Soi I mentioned are wonderful. Suraj, Please do try them . Unfortunately, in this respect, I live 430 kilometres from Bkk., and get to satisfy my cravings ,but once a year. On that one annual occasion I have Masala Dhosa , for breakfast and fresh made Samosas for lunch. Heaven!!!

• 1 month later...

afarang, I wish I was getting a commission from this place, but sadly I'm not!

I have recommended this place to hundred's of people already as it is next to my house and serves good food. Hence, nothing fishy about this 100% vegetarian place ;)

WIll however, try the place you've mentioned too.

afarang, looking at your posts around it seems you have a tie up with Little India. ;)

How perceptive of you. !!! Sorry to disappoint you ,but I live in a small village in Southern Buriram,very close to the Cambodian border.I am also an old age pensioner, who has no financial investments in ANY country. I happen to love Indian food, and as so few people seem to know about Little India, I find it A Labour of Love to point out Its location,benefits and advantages. Isn't it surprising , in this day and age , to actually find someone who operates from an altruistic perspective?One who has knowledge and is happy to share it.Freely. As I do , with the other subjects that I have knowledge of and share that knowledge by posting on T.V. for the common good.Edification, dear soul. try it, you might find people appreciate you for it. In conclusion ,may I say , IF I have information that will benefit others who ask , then I will freely give of that knowledge. Unlike some ,I have NEVER started a topic. Always I am replying to requests for Information.

• Like 1

Some times the Market in Khao Fa Chi or Sam sip if you are local, has vegetarian ones. The Thais call them something else, but they are Samosa, and they are delicious, I just need the mint sauce. :)

Some times the Market in Khao Fa Chi or Sam sip if you are local, has vegetarian ones. The Thais call them something else, but they are Samosa, and they are delicious, I just need the mint sauce. :)

Proper samosa are always vegie. Are the Thais calling them Curry Puffs? Certainly the samosas at the start of Soi Ptotooleck Lek , made fresh by the husband and wife team are proper samosas. CaUTION !!!They sell out very quickly. Most enjoyable

Hi their and i can tell you how to make very good samosas as i trained as a chef .give me a call and i will explain over the phone. forget recipes on internet as their are so many ways to make them. my way has been well tried and tested. Rob. 085-7060105

Would you be kind enough to post your recipe for all to see? Khob khun mak, krap!

B)

post-72929-0-77635600-1309935429_thumb.j

I too love samosas. If you ever go to Bangkok, try Little India. Opposite the new, sort of department store, at the entrance to the soi with lots of shops in it, is a family that makes delightful samosas. If you continue down that soi, about 100 metres , is an excellent Indian grocery shop.

Hi afarang

Could you please tell me how much you pay for your MTR meals and how many you order for them to deliver. Also is their a minimum order(how much is your delivery charge?)?

Do the meals include the rice or do I have to buy/make seperately?

Are they good portions?

Do you have any recommended dishes?

Also is their a website to this shop?

Many thanks

Hi afarang

Could you please tell me how much you pay for your MTR meals and how many you order for them to deliver. Also is their a minimum order(how much is your delivery charge?)?

Are they good portions?

Many thanks

1. B 60 per pack,contents 300 grams. 2.I order about 40 packs at a time, 3. freight is B30 to Buriram province. 4.No rice, I put my own in a bowl, pour the curry on top and whack into the microwave for 1 minute 40 seconds.5. They say feeds 2 but I eat one by myself. 6,About 20 different curries, suggest first ,either visit the shop OR order one of each,to find out what YOU like, My personal best are:Dal Fry, Dal Makhani, Palek Paneer, Mixed Veg, Alu Muttar,Shahi Paneer,Paneer Butter Masala.7 Sorry ,no web-site. 8.Laxmi stores390 Chackrapetch Road, Wang Burapha 10200 Thailand. Tel. ::02 224 8005. They are not used to freighting, just learning, are slow to get my orders together, Don't expect speedy service. Also , they come from India, sometimes have to wait for a shipment to arrive.I allow about 2 weeks for my order to arrive. Any other questions . don't hesitate to ask. Happy eating- I am,do.Bill

Now thats what I call a speedy reply. Thanks.

30 Baht is a very good price to Chaing Mai. Is that to the bus station on a bus or to your home?

Do they have other things that you can order e.g. nan bread,samosa, saffron etc(will they get to you in edible condition)?

Now thats what I call a speedy reply. Thanks.

30 Baht is a very good price to Chaing Mai. Is that to the bus station on a bus or to your home?

Do they have other things that you can order e.g. nan bread,samosa, saffron etc(will they get to you in edible condition)?

Caution, read again, it is not to C.M., it is to Buriram. It is by truck, not bus, yes door to door. delivery. Have not tried for other things as you request ,but I suspect not.

Hi afarang

Are they good portions?

Many thanks

1. B 60 per pack,contents 300 grams. 2.I order about 40 packs at a time, 3. freight is B30 to Buriram province. 4.No rice, I put my own in a bowl, pour the curry on top and whack into the microwave for 1 minute 40 seconds.5. They say feeds 2 but I eat one by myself. 6,About 20 different curries, suggest first ,either visit the shop OR order one of each,to find out what YOU like, My personal best are:Dal Fry, Dal Makhani, Palek Paneer, Mixed Veg, Alu Muttar,Shahi Paneer,Paneer Butter Masala.7 Sorry ,no web-site. 8.Laxmi stores390 Chackrapetch Road, Wang Burapha 10200 Thailand. Tel. ::02 224 8005. They are not used to freighting, just learning, are slow to get my orders together, Don't expect speedy service. Also , they come from India, sometimes have to wait for a shipment to arrive.I allow about 2 weeks for my order to arrive. Any other questions . don't hesitate to ask. Happy eating- I am,do.Bill

Hi Bill

i too like indian food and thank you for being kind enough to take the time to post and let us know. At the risk of sounding ignorant, may i ask what is MTR?? And this samosa shop which you recommend, would you remember the name of the department store opposite which it is located so i can tell thew taxi driver. And do they sell all day. Finally, this Laxmi store that you mention, is it in the same vicinity?? Sorry so many questions and thanx in advance for taking the time to reply.

O.K., here goes .. M.T.R., is the name . of the company who make and pack the curries. In Bangalore ,India. The samosas are not sold in a shop ,They are made and sold on the footpath. At the entrance to Soi Pprotooleck Lek. Chackraphet Road. For taxi, just ask for Little India,Chackraphet Road. It is only about 200 metres long .BIG traffic jams all day, Get out anywhere and have fun exploring. You cannot miss the new department store, it is really big, By the way, the samosas are only sold for about 2 hours a day ,around 12.00. They sell out really quickly. Little India is on BOTH sides of Chackraphet Road.If you are going to buy , in person. then continue down The little soi,from the samosa stall ,about 150 metres, to Nisa Sachdevs shop. This is the shop that all the Indian housewives shop at, for things from India.A clean and modern shop.Happy Touristing, Bill

At the entrance to the Soi with lots of shops ??????? in little India ???????

At the entrance to the Soi with lots of shops ??????? in little India ???????

Indeed it is. Easy to find. If in doubt ,try reading post number 21 by me. Does tell you the name of the Soi. Actually really only 2 Sois in Little India, The others are all "troks" or , in English ,Lanes