Imports From China To Thailand - E Form

Please forgive me if this is anot the suitable forum for this question.

My wife is about to import fashion items from China to Thailand. She has been told by the shipper that upon filling out a Form E, and attaching it to the other relevant docs. she will be exempt from paying import duties. Part of the free trade agreement between the two countries I understand.

My question is, can Thai customs (who seem to be a law unto themselves) claim import duties despite the paperwork? Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks.

Import tariffs for Textiles can be found at http://igtf.customs..../main_frame.jsp but it appears that under the China-ASEAN Free Trade Area (CAFTA) agreement, the ASEAN have gradually lowered tariffs upon Chinese textile and apparel and in 2010 those tariffs are supposed to have been completely eliminated (See http://webcache.goog...lient=firefox-a ). If your goods fit under this exclusion will be at the discretion of the Thai Customs officials. We recommend that you bring a Shipping Agent and possibly a Thai attorney with you upon the arrival of the goods to make every effort to expedite the clearing of the items as well as avoid any unnecessary and/or significant tariffs. We can assist you in these efforts. Please call us to schedule an appointment.

You can contact Sunbelt Asia at (66)2-642-0213 or email us here. Please visit our website for more information on doing business, working, investing, traveling, owning real estate, or starting your own business in Thailand at www.sunbeltasiagroup.com. We are located at 1 Ratchadaphisek Rd., Floor 26, Bangkok, Thailand 10400 and can easily be reached by public transportation at the Rama 9 subway stop, with the office located in the CP Tower II inside the Fortune Town complex.

[sunbeltlegal][/sunbeltlegal]