Passport Almost "full"

what happens when I fill up my passport with entry/exit stamps and visas and what not? This is already close to happening, but the passport is only a few years old. Will I have to get a whole new passport, or is there some way to have extra "pages" added so that I can have more room for stamps and what not?

What do I do?

Thanks.

But if it is a UK passport do not believe you have that option. In any case you need to take action now as if you have no free pages you can not obtain visas. Whatever you country is your local Embassy should be able to obtain a new passport or add pages if that is an option.

Depends on the issuing country for sure.... Canada used to issue extra pages, but now insists on a new passport when it is full. They offer a choice now of 24 or 48 page passports.

In any case- contacting your embassy / consulate is required.

You don't say where you're from, but the UK requires you to get another passport - 36 or 48 pages.

I was at the consular section of the British Embassy yesterday and overheard someone say that it's currently taking 7 days to issue a new passport.

If you are a Brit, look at the Embassy's website. They've got the proceedures and up to date prices. Consular fees changed a short while ago.

You don't say where you're from, but the UK requires you to get another passport - 36 or 48 pages.

I was at the consular section of the British Embassy yesterday and overheard someone say that it's currently taking 7 days to issue a new passport.

If you are a Brit, look at the Embassy's website. They've got the proceedures and up to date prices. Consular fees changed a short while ago.

Yes, UK Embassy are turning them around in 7 days, 3 days if its lost. Mate of mine just done it in BKK, as he doesnt live in Bangkok and had to wait 7 days hes now kicking himself for not telling them he lost it ! :o

When you get your new passport, you can still keep the old one with all the visas in it. The embassy will just stamp it with "canceled" but the visas will still be valid.

True. Very true.

The majority of embassies for any country can issue new passports.

You can retain, in most cases, your old passport.

The trend in the world these days is that 'additional' pages are not recognised by a growing number of countries as a valid passport.

Go new dude.

:o

One option> "Lose your pp"... Report it stolen or missing with the cops, go to your embassy, get an emergency pp (usually eight or ten "stampable" pages... Then worry about it when you get back to your country.

Alternatively, if you are NO LONGER REGISTERED in the community you used to live in, in other words, if you have "checked out" from you local council, and the embassy abroad knows you are there, then that embassy can issue you one.

Otherwise it's back home for you mate.

Ciao,

Kayo.

You did not mention your nationality. If you hold a US passport, the procedure is very simple. Just go to the Consular Services section at the US embassy in BKK, and they can add additional pages at no extra cost. Wait time is about 15 minutes.

If you do end up getting a new passport (UK for example) you can retain the old passport but it will be cancelled. If you have any valid multiple entry visas from other countries you will have to go to that embassy and have the visa transferred from the cancelled passport to the new one.

Hope this helps.

You did not mention your nationality.  If you hold a US passport, the procedure is very simple.  Just go to the Consular Services section at the US embassy in BKK, and they can add additional pages at no extra cost.  Wait time is about 15 minutes.

If you do end up getting a new passport (UK for example) you can retain the old passport but it will be cancelled.  If you have any valid multiple entry visas from other countries you will have to go to that embassy and have the visa transferred from the cancelled passport to the new one.

Hope this helps.

The US does not transfer visas period. You just use the old passport along with your new one when you want to use a visa in an expired passport; as has already been said.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to kick an old thread back upstairs, but it's the "newest" one I can find relating to my situation...

I've just successfully applied for a new U.S. passport- I should be able to pick it up fairly soon. Within this calendar year, I've got to get a new visa from Thai immigration. Do I need to do ANYthing before that time (there are no stamps from any other countries that I need) or is keeping the old one the only thing I need to do (it has the visa, extension, and work permit validation). Since my original visa technically just gets extended and extended and extended a year at a time while I stay at the same job, won't the actual visa need to be transferred over to the new passport at some point or another?

"Steven"

Sorry to kick an old thread back upstairs, but it's the "newest" one I can find relating to my situation...

I've just successfully applied for a new U.S. passport- I should be able to pick it up fairly soon.  Within this calendar year, I've got to get a new visa from Thai immigration.  Do I need to do ANYthing before that time (there are no stamps from any other countries that I need) or is keeping the old one the only thing I need to do (it has the visa, extension, and work permit validation).  Since my original visa technically just gets extended and extended and extended a year at a time while I stay at the same job, won't the actual visa need to be transferred over to the new passport at some point or another?

"Steven"

When you pick up your new Passport from the US Embassy you will also receive a letter to immigration requesting them to transfer your current visa and you then proceed to Suan Plau with both passports to do so. You might stop across the street (from immigration) first as believe there are copies required and they know what pages are needed. There is no cost for the transfer service at immigration.

Edited by lopburi3

As a swiss you can not add pages, you have to get a new passport, takes 2 weeks up to 40 days. to order a new id card together gives you some discount compared to buy each individualy. the set price about 4700, buying back home make you safe 7-800 baht.

if you are not registerd here in bangkok on the swiss embassy they might need more time and you must pay for additional investigation costs.

be careful about the dateline the us government gives that they accept the 2003 passport for visa free entry. i belive issued after october 25th this passport will not allow you entry without visa.

the issue date for next generation passport with additional safety featuers required by us governent is postboned from this october to next year due to new requirements from EU countries (endless game?).

i left and entered thailand since many years with almost full passports and i never had trouble that the immigratin officier fit in their stamp in a small space jsut big enough. i even showed them where to stamp it.

but now at aranyapradet i had major problem already leaving when the very bitchy and unfriendly and not communicating lady refused to stamp me out. i never met such a bitch in my life believe me! Khun Sirima her name!

i had to go to the boss opposite building, he gave me the stamp without much story. when coming back of course the same trouble, even i could show about 10 places where there is a space big enough, including above my visa 2 spaces!

again go to the boss and promise to get new passport. i am sure in padang besar i could leave/enter another 3 times without troubles, or do they do the same now, anyone know??

aranyapradet is difficult anyway, also when i left/entered by thai registred vehicule last x-mas. as i would be the first to do that. friends did it many times. it took me 2 hours and avoiding cheating with overpriced copy prices and x-mas fee (there i get receipt 10 baht). And even i asked them they didnt give me a copy of the departure papers, of course they required them at re-entering! the customes no problem but heaven knows why the immigration cares about the vehicule!?