Youtube Findings

• 3 weeks later...

Bangkok: 100 years ago?

From the date the video was posted, that would put around 1909. It's obvious the video is very old, but I'm mpt sure if it's that old or not. In one reference by Mercedes-Benz Thailand, there were 412 automobiles in 1909.

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/content/thailand/mpc/mpc_thailand_website/enng/home_mpc/passengercars/home/passenger_cars_world/About_the_Company/heritage/First_Mercedes-Benz_in_Thailand.html

From the date the video was posted, that would put around 1909. It's obvious the video is very old, but I'm mpt sure if it's that old or not. In one reference by Mercedes-Benz Thailand, there were 412 automobiles in 1909.

http://www.mercedes-...n_Thailand.html

(Electric) traffic lights at 1:19 would suggest a later date. Wikipedia states such lights were first developed about 1914 in the States. Does anyone know when they first came to Thailand?

- Roger -

• Like 1

(Electric) traffic lights at 1:19 would suggest a later date. Wikipedia states such lights were first developed about 1914 in the States. Does anyone know when they first came to Thailand?

- Roger -

:thumbsup: Thanks Roger. Good point. That was something that caught my attention as well. I looked at the object in full view but it's not very clear. However, I agree it certainly looks like some kind of traffic signal, particularly because it's mounted on a candy striped pole. If it's a traffic light, it looks like it only uses a single light. The title doesn't specify a date, but generalizes by saying it's about 100 years ago. I'd guess it might date back to the 1920's. If it is from 20's, even the latter half, then it's possible might be electric, although I'm just guessing. I too would be interested in knowing when the first electric traffic lights came to Thailand. Still, it's an interesting look at BKK long ago.

• 1 month later...

- Roger -

:thumbsup: Thanks Roger. Good point. That was something that caught my attention as well. I looked at the object in full view but it's not very clear. However, I agree it certainly looks like some kind of traffic signal, particularly because it's mounted on a candy striped pole. If it's a traffic light, it looks like it only uses a single light. The title doesn't specify a date, but generalizes by saying it's about 100 years ago. I'd guess it might date back to the 1920's. If it is from 20's, even the latter half, then it's possible might be electric, although I'm just guessing. I too would be interested in knowing when the first electric traffic lights came to Thailand. Still, it's an interesting look at BKK long ago.

Yes, looking at the style of the cars suggests the 20s. Nice clip! Thanks. :thumbsup:

- Roger -

The clip shows at least 3 businesses with English names and the trolley was Western number 43.

Everyready is the sign on one building, indicating the established presence of a farang electrical company or a real good name for one of the early go go bars.

• 3 weeks later...

- Roger -

The place looked a lot cleaner and more modern way back then

• 1 year later...

- Roger -

The place looked a lot cleaner and more modern way back then

Frame 1:16 shows the front view of a phaeton car from the late 20's early 30's, albeit the other cars look older

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...