Happy City, New Golfproject In Chiang Rai

svenivan

I heard from a friend last week there is a new golfcourse coming in Chiang Rai, close to Wiang Chai.

Then I heard more rumours during the weekend so today on our way home from town I tried to find it. Not so hard, just go 1233 out to Wiang Chai, in Wiang Chai where the mainroad turns left, you go straight on. Follow the road for maybe 2 km and there is a sign "Happy City". Turn left and after 2-300 m there is a another sign, turn left again and after 100 m you are there.

It is a BIG project. As you see on the plan they want to build 20 holes (?) full size and another 18 short holes (probably planned to have light in the evenings).

Around the golfcourse then plan for 800 - 1000 houses !!!

post-29230-074971100 1280743030_thumb.jp post-29230-096099700 1280743019_thumb.jp

The left one is small size and the right one is almost full size for the one that wants to see everything in detail.

post-29230-053716600 1280743220_thumb.jp

Detail over the Shortholecourse.

post-29230-039452900 1280743231_thumb.jp post-29230-009697200 1280743245_thumb.jp

They have started with the golfcourse and I found signs telling Tee for hole 12 and Green for hole 11.

post-29230-005322500 1280743253_thumb.jp post-29230-088934400 1280743265_thumb.jp

We were there today just after 2 PM and not much activity.

post-29230-087961300 1280743207_thumb.jp

A pity to see all these beautiful machines just standing there. I remember I paid 10 000 baht for one day for a macro.

Hopefully, if everything goes well, we can play there in beginning of 2013.

But until then I am not looking for their shop to buy a plot of land to buy a new house! <_<

:D:):D

I note the Korean flag, so I guess we know who the main financiers & customers are going to be.

Yes, you are right, it is a Korean-Thai project.

The Koreans are only here in their wintertime so probably we will have the golfcourse for ourselves at least 6 months a year. Best time to play and most time with reduced prices.

IF there will be a golfcourse. <_<

But we hope for the best!

:):rolleyes::lol:

Maybe it's not only the Chinese who are coming, but the Koreans also...

Korean development of tourism complex near fourth Mekong Bridge

(KPL) The Lao government has given a green light to a Korean company to invest in a USD 41 million tourism complex project in Bokeo province, said Mr Choumpheng Vilaisane, Head of the Investment Promotion Section of Bokeo province.

Mr Choumpheng said that the Korean company signed the contract on this project in 2007.

Scheduled for completion in 2015, this complex would have a five-star hotel, a golf course, guesthouses, restaurant, swimming pool and entertainment place.

The project covered the field site of the fourth Mekong bridge and the construction work just started a few days ago.

• 6 months later...

Update about Happy City!

A lot has happening since I was there last time.

They have changed the plans quite a lot.

The short course is only 9 holes and they have reduced the number of houses and replace them with "future projects".

post-29230-0-62557100-1296874364_thumb.j

Here is a panorama that I took from where the "Club House" is supposed to be.

post-29230-0-54454900-1296874221_thumb.j

There a some nurserys with lots of grass.

post-29230-0-25636700-1296874276_thumb.j

And some green fairways.

post-29230-0-97187000-1296874279_thumb.j

post-29230-0-61456400-1296874269_thumb.j

:D:):D

post-29230-0-27435900-1296874271_thumb.j

Hello Svenivan,

So is the 'guesstimated' opening date still the beginning of 2013 do you know?

It will be nice to get another course up here!

Thanks...

The first Grand Opening was planned for December 2010 but it looks like that they missed that.

The next I have heard is June 2011 but that seem to be too early.

I give a guess that theý will try to open before the winterseason for the koreans, end of this year. My guess will be 1st of November 2011!

Someone else that has more information?

:(:o:huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I spoke with the director of the project the other day who said that they were hoping for completion in 6 - 9 months. They're building a large hot spring swimming pool and there's some talk of other fun family activities. It is a giant project, easily over 1000 rai.

Anyone else on TV CR forum noticing any tiny little signs of a real estate bubble around here,

maybe reminiscent of Ireland, Spain, the USA, 1997?

Just asking... kinda wondering, too, at the real utility of another golf course, and

potential consequences from that, but perhaps nevermind on that.

Anyone else on TV CR forum noticing any tiny little signs of a real estate bubble around here,

maybe reminiscent of Ireland, Spain, the USA, 1997?

Just asking... kinda wondering, too, at the real utility of another golf course, and

potential consequences from that, but perhaps nevermind on that.

Using our western logic. Yes, It certainly amazes me but Its still classed as a developing country, maybe thats the difference. Certainly has to be a lot of credit out there.

As for Golf Courses, the current ones are not exactly over used. Although even as a non-golfer I don't think anyone can argue they are not beautiful places.

Maybe the developers know something we don't. or maybe they don't need to make a profit

Chiang Mai was a beautiful little backwater not all that long ago, or so I'm told.

maybe the Koreans are coming along with the Chinese.

Edited by jubby

Now aint that just wonderful. I haven't played a seven hour round of golf since I stopped following the Korean golfers round Springfield, Hua Hin area. I hope there are going to be plenty of kiosks maybe one after each hole instead of every three holes would be good!!! :bah:

• 7 months later...

Time for an update.

A lot has happened at Happy City, the golf course is absolutely on its way. As you can see on the attached photos.

So here is a panorama from same place the panorama was taken 2011-02-05.

post-29230-0-97188500-1319210203_thumb.j

And here is another panorama taken from north towards south from hole 5.

post-29230-0-41990700-1319210353_thumb.j

Yes, as you can see there are people playing the course!

post-29230-0-05706200-1319210390_thumb.j

I saw two groups playing the course.

post-29230-0-25314700-1319210397_thumb.j

I could not see any farangs on the course ! !

But all holes are not playable, I would guess they have 9-12 holes that might be ready soon with good tees, fairways, bunkers and greens. The other 5-9 holes will take another 3-6 months.

And the beerhuts are NOT ready! ! !

"Now aint that just wonderful. I haven't played a seven hour round of golf since I stopped following the Korean golfers round Springfield, Hua Hin area. I hope there are going to be plenty of kiosks maybe one after each hole instead of every three holes would be good!!! "

Well, the Koreans will probably not be here between April and October so during that time we might be able to use the course.

We will see.

Yes, they are also building at least 5 four-storey buildings and they will not be finished this coming season. So maybe we have to wait one more year before we can play with the Koreans.

Are there any golfers that could recommend a group or golf club/course for a complete beginner?

If you are a complete beginner I would recommend you to go to Barry's at the old airport. Take 5 - 6 lessons with him, he is a good teacher in my view.

He also makes some good hamburgers so you don't need to be hungry when you are practising.

After that you are ready to start playing with CRAPS on Tuesday mornings at Santiburi! :rolleyes:

B):)B)

Thanks for the tips, yes I'm a complete beginner apart from a Texas scramble in Florida which was great fun and enlivened by the signs "beware of the alligators". Funnily enough, when I was browsing this thread last night my sister-in-law was watching Mr Bean's golfing episode - Tee Off - even I can't be that bad!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are there any golfers that could recommend a group or golf club/course for a complete beginner?

If you are a complete beginner I would recommend you to go to Barry's at the old airport. Take 5 - 6 lessons with him, he is a good teacher in my view.

He also makes some good hamburgers so you don't need to be hungry when you are practising.

After that you are ready to start playing with CRAPS on Tuesday mornings at Santiburi! rolleyes.gif

cool.gifsmile.gifcool.gif

Lessons are a good idea. I took lessons for a week and the instructor, at the end, gave me this old, well played ball. Impressed but curious I asked, "this ball has been around?" and he said, yes, but a very special ball too. So had to ask, "what's so special?". He explained, "it's lost proof!!!". "Wow I exclaimed, lost proof eh, Where did you get it?". Oh, he said, "I FOUND IT!!!" HaHaHa

I was out by this place last month and again today. The golf course is open and the condos are well underway.

They have an English language website: http://happycitygolf...t.com/index.htm

Hi Donger,

Did you play a round, or just go for a look about? I'd like to have a game there, but at 2500 bht for 18 holes on a weekday (not including caddy or buggy), it's pretty expensive! Especially when I know I can play several decent courses near Chiang Mai for much less money.... A lot of good UK courses are cheaper too!

Was just wondering what the course was like if anyone has played there? It may take a while to 'bed in', being a new build..!?

6000 thb to play for 1 year there, also, which is incredible. Driving range is very nice.

Where did you see this Thighlander?? Paying the green fees shown on the website would mean that 3 rounds of golf are more expensive than a year's fees, which doesn't sound right to me....??

Cheers all,

Mike

So according to their website it's 2500 green fees plus 300 for shared cart plus 250 for caddie? About 3050 baht plus caddie tip for a weekday round?

Seems they think the course is located in korea instead of the outter district of Chiang Rai?

With those prices I don' t think they will see very many CR locals more than once if ever.

The rates posted on the website only reflect future high-season rates. Since opening day Happy City has been charging a promotional rate of 1,000 baht, plus caddie tip.

thanks..that is good to know and more like it...looks like a beautiful layout...i don't think i should ever pay more for a round of golf in dollars than my score....3200 baht is about 100 usd which is about my usual score if i take a few mulligans...

• 3 months later...

The rates posted on the website only reflect future high-season rates. Since opening day Happy City has been charging a promotional rate of 1,000 baht, plus caddie tip.

thanks..that is good to know and more like it...looks like a beautiful layout...i don't think i should ever pay more for a round of golf in dollars than my score....3200 baht is about 100 usd which is about my usual score if i take a few mulligans...

I just played a round in Happy city last week. Waterford is offering 5000 baht year membership with no green fee. You only pay caddy fee (220) and tip.

If you are interested, we can stay in touch to play few rounds. I am trying to gather some golfers to play few rounds together and exchange some bull. I will be moving to CR in July.

• 1 month later...

post-29230-0-97188500-1319210203_thumb.j

I played Happy City with a friend Tuesday and it is in very good shape.

We paid 2000 baht for 2 players incl caddyfee and 1 car.

Our caddies were very good, worked hard and even tried to help with the line for putting ! :)

Here a photo:

post-29230-0-07154400-1340944857_thumb.j