Fork Repair

JonnyF

Hi,

I've got a couple of small scratches on the lower fork leg of my gsxr. Nothing major but I think it's going to start damaging the fork seal if I don't fix it or replace it. Does anyone know if you can repair this sort of thing by chroming over the scratch? I've seen all kinds of smashed up forks repaired so I'm guessing a few scratches can be repaired, or should I replace the lower leg? The scratches aren't deep enough to cause a leak or anything.

If it can be repaired, does anyone know or can recommend a shop that does this kind of work? I guess a chroming shop could do it fairly easily. Or a crash repair shop? In Bangkok.

How did you manage to get scratches there?

Not sure, looks like someones knocked it with their bike while it was parked.

JonnyF, is it a scratch with rough edges or smooth edge marking?

I'd say rough edges. A bit of googling suggests that hard chroming might do the trick but I don't know much about the process.

I'd say rough edges. A bit of googling suggests that hard chroming might do the trick but I don't know much about the process.

JonnyF, save yourself the hassle of paying for removal, possible shoddy hard chrome work in Thailand, pulling it apart, trying to get it done right etc etc et al and just buy yourself a new lower and have it fitted with new seals and bushings (your probably won't need bushings)

JonnyF, save yourself the hassle of paying for removal, possible shoddy hard chrome work in Thailand, pulling it apart, trying to get it done right etc etc et al and just buy yourself a new lower and have it fitted with new seals and bushings (your probably won't need bushings)

Yeah that was the original plan but my mechanic says he can't source the tube. Which means ebaying it from outside Thailand, dealing with customs, possible damage in transit etc.

I just figured it might be easier to have it repaired here if I can find someone reliable. Or try another mechanic who might spend a bit more time looking around for me for the replacement part.

For years we have always repaired slight damage like this by having them rechromed. It is the cheapest, quickest and most reliable option.

Do you know someone who can do the chrome plating? I only know someone here in Pattaya.

Thanks a lot, I was looking for confirmation that this was a viable option. The replacement part is about 5000 baht which isn't a massive amount but I prefer not to deal with Thai customs if possible.

Searching TV I've found this place...

Anan chromium.on soi Anamai Srinikarin road.Tel. 02-3215317

which seems well recommended by a few posters. I was kind of hoping for a one stop shop but it looks like I'll have to get someone to take the forks off and dismantle them and then take them to this place to get them rechromed, then back to the shop for re-assembly. Not too bad I guess but I'd rather just drop it off and pick it up again, maybe if I put my mechanic in contact with them they can sort it out between them.

I had read that small pitting (so presume scratches) could be repaired by using a type of epoxy that didnt react to oil / water / or shrink..

It then can be polished back to smooth and alls fine..

I have a couple of small pits on one fork leg, unsure if its going to kill the seal or not..

... my mechanic says he can't source the tube. Which means ebaying it from outside Thailand, dealing with customs, possible damage in transit etc.

I just figured it might be easier to have it repaired here if I can find someone reliable. Or try another mechanic who might spend a bit more time looking around for me for the replacement part.

Dear JonnyF,

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that OEM Suzuki parts for my GSX-R 1000 K6 were CHEAPER to order through Red Baron here in Bangkok than I could get them in the US. Plus you won't have any shipping costs or worries about damage in the post and/or unexpected taxes. You can call Red Baron and they'll tell you the price for a new fork tube over the phone or stop by and ask- I remain incredibly impressed by the professional service there.

Ride On!

Tony

... my mechanic says he can't source the tube. Which means ebaying it from outside Thailand, dealing with customs, possible damage in transit etc.

Dear JonnyF,

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that OEM Suzuki parts for my GSX-R 1000 K6 were CHEAPER to order through Red Baron here in Bangkok than I could get them in the US. Plus you won't have any shipping costs or worries about damage in the post and/or unexpected taxes. You can call Red Baron and they'll tell you the price for a new fork tube over the phone or stop by and ask- I remain incredibly impressed by the professional service there.

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks Tony, I emailed their spares department today and they said they could import from Japan but I didn't ask them the price because the last quote I got from them was 30,000 baht for a gauge cluster for an '04 R6 which I felt was way over the top.

Maybe that was a one off, I'll ask them to quote for the part.

Dear JonnyF,

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks Tony, I emailed their spares department today and they said they could import from Japan but I didn't ask them the price because the last quote I got from them was 30,000 baht for a gauge cluster for an '04 R6 which I felt was way over the top.

Maybe that was a one off, I'll ask them to quote for the part.

Cheers Jonny,

Well, I don't know if I just got lucky but I ordered some assorted small hardware and fasteners and a new Ram Air Duct from Red Baron and all of the parts were about ~20% less than the cheapest price I could find in the US. I was really surprised. I expected to pay a premium going through Red Baron as they have a reputation for not being cheap.

An R6 instrument cluster is expensive no matter where you order it. Brand new the speedo assembly retails for $415 from BikeBandit.com and the case is another ~$160 or so and that doesn't include shipping from the US or tax... $415 + 160 + shipping + ~30% duty/tax and you're looking at least 25000 Baht... Agree that 30k Baht is pretty steep though. I guess maybe it depends on what you're ordering. Anyway- doesn't hurt to ask!

Suzuki GSXR inner fork tubes aren't cheap! I just checked and the cost new is about $600-$700 per tube for the GSXR 1000 K6. I forget what year your Gixxer is but you can check prices on the internet. If the 600 inner tubes are anywhere as expensive as the 1k I think you probably ought to see if you can repair the scratches rather than buy new. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Happy Trails!

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on this one - RedBaron wanted 15,000 baht for the complete right fork leg saying you can't buy the fork stanchion on it's own (untrue) so I opted for the repair seeing as it was only scratches.

Thanks to ThaiCbr from the forum who kindly recommended www.easyfix1.com and they did a fantastic job hard chroming the fork. They answered emails in English within a day, kept me up to date with the process and all for the grand sum of 1500 baht including delivery back to the office in Ladprao (I ems'd it there). Time will tell how it holds up but it looks like they did a great job, it looks like a brand new fork. It's not very often I'm pleased with service levels here so I thought it was worth a mention.

I to was impressed by this company. I took mine to the factory. They looked like they had all the upto date equipment and a very reasonable price.

I haven't put many Km's on them but they seem fine. Before they went in they were blowing seals.