Bueng Karn To Become Thailand's 77th Province

webfact

Bueng Karn to become Thailand's 77th province

The Cabinet Tuesday approved the plan to establish Thailand's 77th province, which will be called Bueng Karn.

The new province will be separated from Nong Khai.

The new province will be comprised of eight districts and will have 399,233 populations.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-03

• Like 2

Another darn Red province. No good for Dems.

It will not change a single bit for the parliament - the 6 MPs from Nong Khai will be spread between the remainder Nong Khai province and the new province, both having 3 MPs in a single constituency thereafter. I have calculated it, see http://tambon.blogspot.com/2010/07/bueng-kan-province-geocode-and.html

It will not change a single bit for the parliament - the 6 MPs from Nong Khai will be spread between the remainder Nong Khai province and the new province, both having 3 MPs in a single constituency thereafter. I have calculated it, see http://tambon.blogsp...eocode-and.html

And what is the matter with you in that? The Democrat will return to opposition side anytime soon, and then what, anther yellow - blue unrest?

5555, wondering how many ppl live there if there are 399,233 populations.....must exceed the population of TH.... :-)

"The new province will be comprised of eight districts and will have 399,233 populations"

So how would you write it in Thai?

The wording may not be perfect, but it is understandable.

This would be a bit of a nightmare to organise for everyone involved, wouldn't it?

400,000 people need to change their address with all the relevant government departments and utilities, not to mention all the other companies that hold peoples addresses.

If the province really has 399,233 "populationS" (emphasis added) as stated in the article, no one will ever know what the population really is and there won't be any problem with the Reds getting an advantagewhistling.gif

• Like 1

Nong Khai's Bung Kan district upgraded as 77th province

gallery_327_1086_1786.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Cabinet on Tuesday has upgraded Bung Kan district of the northeastern province of Nong Khai as Thailand's 77th province comprising eight Nong Khai districts, as proposed by the Ministry of Interior.

Marut Massayavanich, deputy government spokesman, told a press briefing that the cabinet agreed in principle for a draft bill to elevate Bung Kan district to provincial status before submitting it to Office of the Juridical Council for further consideration.

An upgrade to a new province followed a request made by local residents as Nong Khai local authorities faced difficulties in managing administrative work and solving border problems in remote areas, 350 kilometres from the provincial seat.

If the district is set up as the 77th province, it will help improve administration and will help officials to solve local problems, Mr Marut said.

However, the new province's establishment will not need much budget from the government as local government offices, court and public utility, including the electricity system, water supply and telephone system, have already been put in place.

In addition, government officials concerned have prepared 870 rai (348 acres) of land to build a provincial hall.

The 77th province encompasses some 4,305 square kilometres, consisting of eight districts of Bung Kan, Seka, So Phisai, Phon Charoen, Pak Khat, Bung Khong Long, Si Wilai and Bung Khla with population of nearly 400,000. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-08-03

• Like 1

"An upgrade to a new province followed a request made by local residents as Nong Khai local authorities faced difficulties in managing administrative work and solving border problems in remote areas, 350 kilometres from the provincial seat.

350 kms is a long way. In oz correct me if I am wrong broome is about 4 times the distance approx 1400 kms from the provincial seat and the borders are a lot larger. And they have more than 1 million populations

:)

Edited by Democrat
code deleted
  • Like 1

If the Dems were smart, they gerrymandered the district lines so that it will be easier to take over one of the 2 smaller provinces.

Let's see how things turn out in practice before assuming the reds will come out on top. In any case, what it absolutely will do is establish a new provincial chain of command that hasn't yet been infiltrated by the Thaksin partisans. Thaksin built his dynasty over more than a decade. It will take at least that long to break it. Changes like this are an opportunity to generate cracks in the veneer. Given enough time, his hold on power will weaken. We just have to be patient enough to wait for his reign to finish.

I don't see alot of downside to this. The worst that can happen is that the Dems break even on the deal.

So what's it gonna be : "Bueng Karn" or "Bung Kan" ?

On the traffic signs บึงกาฬ is probably spelled Bueng Kan, since that is the RTGS standard transcription. In an earlier version of the standard, it would have been Bung Kan, and "Karn" is just another inofficial but relatively popular way to transcribe a syllable closed with a N sound.

In addition, government officials concerned have prepared 870 rai (348 acres) of land to build a provincial hall.

I wonder how much and whom they paid for that little lot.

What's odd is that Beung Kan built a provincial hall about 10 years ago, in preparation for the day they would achieve province status. I've seen it myself, but not for a few years. I wonder what happened to it?

What's odd is that Beung Kan built a provincial hall about 10 years ago, in preparation for the day they would achieve province status. I've seen it myself, but not for a few years. I wonder what happened to it?

I wonder who's living in it.

My wife only just last week (with in the new proposed province) received her new Tabien Bann House registration Book and registered with the electric company looks like she and a lot of other people will be having to change it all again shortly including ID, bank books etc i would imagine car registration documents and driving licenses will also have to be changed.

Any think else i wonder?

Nong Khai's Bung Kan district upgraded as 77th province

gallery_327_1086_1786.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Cabinet on Tuesday has upgraded Bung Kan district of the northeastern province of Nong Khai as Thailand's 77th province comprising eight Nong Khai districts, as proposed by the Ministry of Interior.

Marut Massayavanich, deputy government spokesman, told a press briefing that the cabinet agreed in principle for a draft bill to elevate Bung Kan district to provincial status before submitting it to Office of the Juridical Council for further consideration.

An upgrade to a new province followed a request made by local residents as Nong Khai local authorities faced difficulties in managing administrative work and solving border problems in remote areas, 350 kilometres from the provincial seat.

If the district is set up as the 77th province, it will help improve administration and will help officials to solve local problems, Mr Marut said.

However, the new province's establishment will not need much budget from the government as local government offices, court and public utility, including the electricity system, water supply and telephone system, have already been put in place.

The 77th province encompasses some 4,305 square kilometres, consisting of eight districts of Bung Kan, Seka, So Phisai, Phon Charoen, Pak Khat, Bung Khong Long, Si Wilai and Bung Khla with population of nearly 400,000. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-08-03

Give me 348 acres and I"ll build you an Olympic Stadium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how would you write it in Thai?

The wording may not be perfect, but it is understandable.

Well, I'd write it ประชากร 399,233 คน. More importantly, that's how any Thai-language newspaper would write it. One would hope that an English-language newspaper, even in Thailand, could do an equally decent job.

I wonder who's living in it.

It's probably still there but will be upgraded by surrounding it in the middle of 348 acres of beautiful parklands,bush walks,well stocked lakes with fish,BBQ areas and all sorts of recreation facilities for the poor hard-working officials to be able to go outside the doors and relax and listen to the birds at times of over work and stress

So what's it gonna be : "Bueng Karn" or "Bung Kan" ?

On the traffic signs บึงกาฬ is probably spelled Bueng Kan, since that is the RTGS standard transcription. In an earlier version of the standard, it would have been Bung Kan, and "Karn" is just another inofficial but relatively popular way to transcribe a syllable closed with a N sound.

I never see the point of using a K when it is a "g" sound. It should be Bueng Gan, or Bueng Garn.

UPDATE

Govt denies being superstitious in adding the 77th province

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Deputy Minister of Interior Boonjong Vongtrirat denies a claim that the government was superstitious in designating Bueng Kan District of Nong Khai as the 77th province of Thailand.

Deputy Minister of Interior Boonjong Vongtrirat said the Cabinet had resolved to promote the district to the provincial status as proposed by the Interior Ministry because the area was deemed ready in many aspects including the existing government facilities.

Bueng Kan, which is part of the northeastern province of Nong Khai, will comprise seven districts if the proposal wins a parliamentary approval. Bueng Kan’s locals have been demanding for the separation since 1992. The prospective province is located on the bank of the Mekong River with an area of 833.85 square kilometers and a population of 86,162.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-04 footer_n.gif

Of course just another province. After all the bureaucrats must be rewarded with new functions and new possibilities to steal money. Where other countries are reducing the number of administrative entities the Thai government creates provinces. What is more obvious about incompetence than increasing the bureaucracy.

It will not change a single bit for the parliament - the 6 MPs from Nong Khai will be spread between the remainder Nong Khai province and the new province, both having 3 MPs in a single constituency thereafter. I have calculated it, see http://tambon.blogsp...eocode-and.html

And what is the matter with you in that? The Democrat will return to opposition side anytime soon, and then what, anther yellow - blue unrest?

In the last two decades th color of the shirts or the flavor of the government has not made a measurable difference in the governance of Thailand. It is as always about the insiders. I expect they just ran out of jobs for the general that is retiring this year. Without further info I am at a loss to understand why a country with a population of 63,000,000 needs to create provinces of circa 400,000, sorry 399,000 or so. At this rate Thailand really will become ungovernable eventually.

UPDATE

Govt denies being superstitious in adding the 77th province

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Deputy Minister of Interior Boonjong Vongtrirat denies a claim that the government was superstitious in designating Bueng Kan District of Nong Khai as the 77th province of Thailand.

Deputy Minister of Interior Boonjong Vongtrirat said the Cabinet had resolved to promote the district to the provincial status as proposed by the Interior Ministry because the area was deemed ready in many aspects including the existing government facilities.

Bueng Kan, which is part of the northeastern province of Nong Khai, will comprise seven districts if the proposal wins a parliamentary approval. Bueng Kan's locals have been demanding for the separation since 1992. The prospective province is located on the bank of the Mekong River with an area of 833.85 square kilometers and a population of 86,162.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-04 footer_n.gif

"Bueng Kan’s locals have been demanding for the separation since 1992."

Provinces in the South are demanding a measure of autonomy, each of the recent Governments have responded with armed suppression and summary executions (e.g. Thaksin Government.) Go figure!