Bueng Karn To Become Thailand's 77th Province

webfact

What's odd is that Beung Kan built a provincial hall about 10 years ago, in preparation for the day they would achieve province status. I've seen it myself, but not for a few years. I wonder what happened to it?

You are talking about the building next to the district office of Bueng Kan, right? That is NOT a provincial hall (Sala Klang Changwat), it is the provincial court (San Changwat). Despite the name, there are more provincial courts than provinces, the larger provinces can have two or three of them. The fact that Bueng Kan already has a court was one of the reasons why the creation of the new province was approved.

What's odd is that Beung Kan built a provincial hall about 10 years ago, in preparation for the day they would achieve province status. I've seen it myself, but not for a few years. I wonder what happened to it?

You are talking about the building next to the district office of Bueng Kan, right? That is NOT a provincial hall (Sala Klang Changwat), it is the provincial court (San Changwat). Despite the name, there are more provincial courts than provinces, the larger provinces can have two or three of them. The fact that Bueng Kan already has a court was one of the reasons why the creation of the new province was approved.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ YAWN

MettaDoc. Spot On.

Agreed...that, with only approx 300 countries, principalities, Dem Repubs, etc actually ON our little blue planet.....

I was also thinking that we had roped in lots of other inhabitants 'Off-World' (?) to help swell the people populations:

"ET - New Home?"

"

Beep.

regards from an amused terrestrial'ish Brewsta :o)

5555, wondering how many ppl live there if there are 399,233 populations.....must exceed the population of TH.... :-)

"The new province will be comprised of eight districts and will have 399,233 populations"

The new district hall cum Provincial Hall is still in the same place at the end of town. Now has a lawn.

Province court. The province hall is supposed to be built a bit away from those two within the wetland area - anyone have the coordinates of that plot of land?

My question is what happened to the proposal to make Hua Hin a province?? I though it was suppose to be province number 77?

That one was shelved quite fast, it was one of the last things PM Thaksin initiated, so after the coup it was not further considered. As it was intended as a "birthday gift" to HM the King on his 80th birthday, with that date now long over this main reason for that province has disappeared. I blogged about it some time ago: http://tambon.blogspot.com/2008/02/cancelled-new-provinces-hua-hin.html

Another province creation aborted was Nakhon Suvarnabhumi, also started by Thaksin and then shelved after the coup. http://tambon.blogspot.com/2008/03/cancelled-new-provinces-nakhon.html As far as I know, none of the other provinces suggested in the recent past have gone as close to being created as these two, but there are/were several plans for news provinces: Fang, Mae Sot, Phra Narai (by splitting Lopburi), Phu Wiang, to name just the one I know about.

In addition, government officials concerned have prepared 870 rai (348 acres) of land to build a provincial hall.

I wonder how much and whom they paid for that little lot.

I am sure it will be utilized efficiently. It is, after all, much smaller than the Pentagon with its 583 acres. And as the Pentagon has around 23.000 people working there, this new Thai province headquarter, should be able to harbor around 13.800 hard working thai bureaucrats. Just imagine what they could accomplish! Anyone?

Another darn Red province. No good for Dems.

Can't we just sever the North above Petchabun and South at Sonkla and call it South, Mid and North Thailand - then we could have passports, borders and police all the way - keep the Mulsims in the South, the Reds in the east and North and the yellows with the pinks in the middle... That'll work huh.gif

So what's it gonna be : "Bueng Karn" or "Bung Kan" ?

On the traffic signs บึงกาฬ is probably spelled Bueng Kan, since that is the RTGS standard transcription. In an earlier version of the standard, it would have been Bung Kan, and "Karn" is just another inofficial but relatively popular way to transcribe a syllable closed with a N sound.

I never see the point of using a K when it is a "g" sound. It should be Bueng Gan, or Bueng Garn.

It's not a /g/ sound. 'G'is voiced, 'k' isn't. In Thai that letter is the same as the /k/ in 'skin.' Not like /g/ in 'good.'

<snip>

The new province will be comprised of eight districts and will have 399,233 populations.

<snip>

The prospective province is located on the bank of the Mekong River with an area of 833.85 square kilometers and a population of 86,162.

I'm confused.

<snip>

The new province will be comprised of eight districts and will have 399,233 populations.

<snip>

The prospective province is located on the bank of the Mekong River with an area of 833.85 square kilometers and a population of 86,162.

I'm confused.

The writer of the article at the Public Relations Department was apparently confused as well - 86,162 is the population of the district Bueng Kan (and 833,85 square kilometer its area). But this district will just become the Mueang district of the new province, the other 7 districts were totally forgotten in that article. So except the nonsense "s" The Nation had it right.

On the traffic signs บึงกาฬ is probably spelled Bueng Kan, since that is the RTGS standard transcription. In an earlier version of the standard, it would have been Bung Kan, and "Karn" is just another inofficial but relatively popular way to transcribe a syllable closed with a N sound.

I never see the point of using a K when it is a "g" sound. It should be Bueng Gan, or Bueng Garn.

It's not a /g/ sound. 'G'is voiced, 'k' isn't. In Thai that letter is the same as the /k/ in 'skin.' Not like /g/ in 'good.'

I can see you know what you are talking about. However, following this argument, how do you differenciate between kai and gai (egg and chicken)? My point is that if you use a "k" and not a "g" this makes rather a difference. When I use a g sound in bueun karn instead of a "k" to thais this sounds correct. By your argument how would you write karn with a koh kai initial consonant?? Then how would you transliterate that into english and avoid my chicken and egg situation?

• 5 months later...

How about a third choice... one word, Bungkan...

New Province Approved by MPs Meeting

Members at an MPs' meeting have approved an act to establish the new northeastern province of Bungkan, after concern was raised over the vacancy of senators if the deliberation was delayed.

At the MPs' meeting at Parliament yesterday, MPs, especially the opposition, expressed concern over the senator quota for the 77th province of Bungkan.

They said if the act to officially legalize the status of the province is delayed, there will be no senator election until 2020, as the senator proportion stated in the Constitution is fixed at merely 150.

Those at the Parliament stated that if the senator selection process is not completed by April 19, the elected senator seat for the province will be vacant for at least the next nine years.

However, a related committee stressed that the process will be done in time, and those at the session finally agreed to vote unanimously to give a green light for the new province to be established.

The process now is up to senators as they will meet to consider the act soon.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-01-27

footer_n.gif