Applying For A Thai Driving License

pichai

You can extend your visa at the Chiang Mai immigration office for 30 days only at a cost of 1,900 baht or you can go the cheap way and cross the border at Mai Sai and when you walk back across you will get another 30 days.

I am guessing no on the drivers license as I had to show my work permit to get mine.

:o

You can extend your visa at the Chiang Mai immigration office for 30 days only at a cost of 1,900 baht or you can go the cheap way and cross the border at Mai Sai and when you walk back across you will get another 30 days.

I am guessing no on the drivers license as I had to show my work permit to get mine.

Two years ago I bought and registered a car while only on the 30 day tourist visa with no problem. I don't remember if I bothered to get a license or not. Probably not as I had an international drivers license and a valid US license.

It also used to be easy to arrange for a private "agency" to have your passport processed at a border crossing so that you did not need to waste the time and gas money going yourself. The cost was around 1100 - 1200 baht. Maybe now that you can do it completely legally for 1,900 baht this service is no longer available. Ask around.

Two years ago I bought and registered a car while only on the 30 day tourist visa with no problem. I don't remember if I bothered to get a license or not. Probably not as I had an international drivers license and a valid US license.

It also used to be easy to arrange for a private "agency" to have your passport processed at a border crossing so that you did not need to waste the time and gas money going yourself. The cost was around 1100 - 1200 baht. Maybe now that you can do it completely legally for 1,900 baht this service is no longer available. Ask around.

There were major crackdowns on people handing their passports to there visa run agencies a few years ago, and trying this route now is extremely risky. Many of the agencies offering such services actually never took the passports to the border, but used their own fake/copied border stamps and visas. These fake stamps and visas were traced, identified and the agencies shut down, and people who had used such services in the past suffered dire consequences.

Do NOT use any such service - even if they are still available. Stay in control over your passport and travel documents.

There are often cases where you will be able to slip through the net and bend the rules - by luck, negligence or through paying tea money. This is reality, but every time you do any such thing you are also making yourself vulnerable, and if you value having a future in Thailand, it is not a good path to take.

There were major crackdowns on people handing their passports to there visa run agencies a few years ago, and trying this route now is extremely risky. Many of the agencies offering such services actually never took the passports to the border, but used their own fake/copied border stamps and visas. These fake stamps and visas were traced, identified and the agencies shut down, and people who had used such services in the past suffered dire consequences.

Do NOT use any such service - even if they are still available. Stay in control over your passport and travel documents.

There are often cases where you will be able to slip through the net and bend the rules - by luck, negligence or through paying tea money. This is reality, but every time you do any such thing you are also making yourself vulnerable, and if you value having a future in Thailand, it is not a good path to take.

meadish_sweetball - I agree. Not worth the risk, especially now that a safe convenient option is availabe.

I remember the crackdown that you are referring to. There was however one reputable service that survived (at least until 2 years ago), that did actually take the passports to the border. I and many other conservative long-timers continued to use them as the 1,900 baht option was not yet in place or at least not known. For me the hassle of going to Mae Sai every month was too much of a pain. :D

pichai - If I were not coming back on a long-term visa I would now choose the 1,900 baht option myself, but if you have never done it then going up to Mae Sai may be the best thing for you (once or twice). If your budget is tight then I guess keep doing it until you tire of going up there. And next time be sure to enter Thailand with a longer type visa if you plan to stay for any length (see the Visa Run postings for good suggestions).

You can drive up in your own car or take the 800 baht tourist trip up there. I believe there is or was an express bus of sorts to Mae Sai and one back, but that was not workable as you needed to first go to some sort of Thai govt office some Kms before Mae Sai, prior to crossing the border. But maybe that has changed now. Does anyone know if you can now do that part in CM before going up? If you take the tourist trip they stop there for you before going to Mae Sai, if they know you are doing a visa run. Have fun and good luck.

:D

i applied for my driving license a few months back in chiang mai and got one with my immigrant b visa, which is the minimum, and my international license and then filled out a few forms and then crossed their palms with baht and got the license. its not possible to apply for a driving license with a tourist visa, but if you have an international license then that will suffice for your needs.

meadish_sweetball - I agree. Not worth the risk, especially now that a safe convenient option is availabe.

I remember the crackdown that you are referring to. There was however one reputable service that survived (at least until 2 years ago), that did actually take the passports to the border. I and many other conservative long-timers continued to use them as the 1,900 baht option was not yet in place or at least not known. For me the hassle of going to Mae Sai every month was too much of a pain. :D

pichai - If I were not coming back on a long-term visa I would now choose the 1,900 baht option myself, but if you have never done it then going up to Mae Sai may be the best thing for you (once or twice). If your budget is tight then I guess keep doing it until you tire of going up there. And next time be sure to enter Thailand with a longer type visa if you plan to stay for any length (see the Visa Run postings for good suggestions).

You can drive up in your own car or take the 800 baht tourist trip up there. I believe there is or was an express bus of sorts to Mae Sai and one back, but that was not workable as you needed to first go to some sort of Thai govt office some Kms before Mae Sai, prior to crossing the border. But maybe that has changed now. Does anyone know if you can now do that part in CM before going up? If you take the tourist trip they stop there for you before going to Mae Sai, if they know you are doing a visa run. Have fun and good luck.

Actually I had bought a car and intend to stay in Chiangmai longer after my 2 months visa expired. I also procured an international driving license. I had drove to Mae Sai before but never cross the border, I think, will cross the border this time round.

Thanks for the info. :D