ฺAtm Withdrawal Limits

T_Dog

Every once in a while, the 150 baht bandits only let you take 10,000 baht and not 20,000 baht per day. Anyone know why this is the case? In talking with friends, K Bank, Bangkok Bank, and Siam Commercial are limited to 10,000 baht for the last two days. Anyone know what is up?

• Like 1

A few months ago my wife and I managed to get an increase on the amount we can withdraw from ATM for Bangkok Bank from 25,000 to 100,000 a day. We were in the process of buying a new car, and after finding out how much the down payment was, I told my wife I forgot the bank book and only had the ATM card. She told the dealer, who offered to call Bangkok Bank and see if they could get the limit raised. After about 15 minutes, and handing the phone to my wife to verify some information, the bank approved the limit to 100,000, but it had to be done in 4 withdrawals of 25,000 each. Last week I took out 40,000, with one of 25,000 and one of 15,000. So you might want to call them and see if you can get that done as well.

Then again, my account is with Bangkok Bank, not a foreign account, so that probably makes a major difference. Just thought of that.

Edited by Just1Voice

t dog .

re ....Every once in a while, the 150 baht bandits only let you take 10,000 baht and not 20,000 baht per day .

ive had well over 800 thousand baht in tmb airport plaza chiang mai for the last four years .

three months before for my yearly permission to stay stamp was due

and the daily limit they set me was 20 thousand baht a day !

ive never asked them to increase it coz ive never needed that much in one go.

but they might have if id asked

thats how tmb ..... with my 8 years tmb account history work with them ... others may differ ?

dave2

"Every once in a while, the 150 baht bandits only let you take 10,000 baht and not 20,000 baht per day. Anyone know why this is the case? In talking with friends, K Bank, Bangkok Bank, and Siam Commercial are limited to 10,000 baht for the last two days. Anyone know"

I think, just me thinking, it is to make life difficult for the Red-shirt pay master who need to withdraw cash from Dubai account to pay the 500 Baht/head thing.

I am just joking. I think it got to do with month end. A lot of people withdraw cash,, so the bank set a lower limit to manage the refill run.

Edited by chantorn

"Every once in a while, the 150 baht bandits only let you take 10,000 baht and not 20,000 baht per day. Anyone know why this is the case? In talking with friends, K Bank, Bangkok Bank, and Siam Commercial are limited to 10,000 baht for the last two days. Anyone know"

I think, just me thinking, it is to make life difficult for the Red-shirt pay master who need to withdraw cash from Dubai account to pay the 500 Baht/head thing.

I am just joking. I think it got to do with month end. A lot of people withdraw cash,, so the bank set a lower limit to manage the refill run.

Good to see that you have a sense of humour. Yes, payday weekend, so many people withdrawing cash to enjoy the weekend. :jap:

I have a account at Siam. Once a month I go in and use my credit card [visa] and withdraw enough cash for the month. It cost me $5 Canadian and I then put it in my Thai accounts. I always get a better exchange rate than the one posted.

I then go on line and transfer the money so there is no interest charged.

Edited by jayjay0

I have a account at Siam. Once a month I go in and use my credit card [visa] and withdraw enough cash for the month. It cost me $5 Canadian and I then put it in my Thai accounts. I always get a better exchange rate than the one posted.

I then go on line and transfer the money so there is no interest charged.

Might work for your credit card, but I'd be very careful with that. Many credit cards charge you a lot when you take out cash. I suppose if you instantly transfer the money after they can't get you on interest. But there might be other fees.

If you have a debit card, it's very simple, just use any ATM, you get the current exchange rate, plus a few $ for the withdrawal. It's the only way I ever get money when I am in a foreign country other than Thailand. Since I live here, I just wire in large batches at a time.

As for ATM limits - very easy to have the limits lifted, just talk to the manager. I was building a house so I had the limit raised to 250k at some point, and it still is. Comes in handy now and again. You can still only ever get 25k at a time, and it seems on "other" ATMS I can only get 20k? Not sure, BKK bank ATMs are everywhere so I rarely use others.

A few of you mentioned withdrawing very large sums of money from ATM. Although, I have not needed to do this, I thought with a passport and a debit card, some banks allow you to make a counter teller withdrawals and there is no ATM fee.

20,000 baht per day is the limit at Siam Commercial. but if you call the main office with your passport number, the limit can be raised.

At Kasikorn, they told me my daily limit at the ATM was 400,000 baht per day :)

Bangkok Bank has always limited withdrawals to 25 "bills," that is 25,000 bt if they have an adequate supply of 1,000 bt notes. Sometimes the machine would be out of 1,000 bt notes and they'll issue 500 bt notes, which means the max would be 12,500 bt. Once they were down to 100 bt notes, but that's rare. I assume the OP is talking Thai bank ATM cards. Using, say, a US card may put the max even lower, depending on the US bank's daily limits (converted to Thai baht). If your bank limit is, say, US$300, you wouldn't even be able to get 10,000 bt.