Rottweiler

cmjantje

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Rottweiler is born at a large kennel in Petchbury/Samut Songkran area. There are also some breeders in Surat.

Getting one more rottie puppy, you get yourself some hard work training them to be humanized and social/non aggressive

Come and look at mine (4 years old)

I know about dogs, believe me!

We got ours from the chap on the super-highway across from Big C. We met both her parents who were both very friendly and healthy and, although she's still relatively young at 18mnths, she's fantastic with everyone and everything. We trained and socialized her properly which is very important as you obviously know already. She doesn't have pedigree papers but those with papers are around 20k baht +++ and we paid 2000 baht.

We didn't choose a Rottweiler, we just wanted a dog and the fact she was a Rottweiler made no difference to us, my neighbour had one when I was a kid and it was the sweetest dog you'll ever meet so all the nonsense you see in the media and negative opinions (that are usually based purely on stereotype) didn't put me off. She is great with kids and other dogs, all she wants to do is play and has never shown ANY aggression to anyone or other dogs, when she encounters a dog who wants to fight instead of play she cowers behind me. People will always have negative opinions of Rottweilers but hopefully some will change their mind when they meet my Hollie, our neighbours already have as have other people who have met her and, despite their initial fear, they now know her and love the licks she gives them. And just today I took her to the vet for her twice monthly heartworm jab and the new guy who works there wanted to put on a muzzle while she had the jab but the vet and other staff said mai pen rai because they know her. She actually ended up having three injections as she needed two booster shots and, as usual, she showed no aggression to the vet even though she's not his biggest fan.

Like cmjantje said, there are no bad dogs just bad owners so please don't judge the breed, judge the deed! Sorry for the rant but it really p1sses me off when people make a judgement about a dog just because of the breed and it happens far too often!

Here's a pic of my dog which is a much more realistic image of the breed than the previous one.

post-61039-083805500 1281172406_thumb.jp

Unfortunitly with this breed of dog one has to generalize and there are some very good reasons why.

I'm sure both the dogs in question are great, friendly and wouldn't hurt a fly but, this breed and others, for example pit bulls are banned in many states of American and in some countries.

They are great guard dogs and will if, trained properly protect you and your family.

They are however the second most likely dog to attack humans.

In a nutshell thay cannot be trusted.

Sorry for rant but having had a family member attacked by a""friendly family rottweler" does make you extreemly cautios.

Skyblustu's dog is indeed a Lovely dog, I't came along on a Hash once. They always remind me of a Labrador on steriods.

When I pat a dog, I usually for some uknown reason , play with its mouth, I've never been bitten , and I've done this with hundreds of dogs, the Dog realises I'm just playing and acts accordingly.

I once did this with my uncles Rottweiler who was also a lovely dog, and I regretted it. It was painful, The dog literally didn't know its own strength. It should go without saying, but the strength in the dogs jaw is just unbelievable. Most owners will probably keep this fact in Mind. It has to be taken seriously I'm afraid.

Dindong, what is it they say, 99% of all statistics are made up on the spot? But I'm sure if you did some research on reported dog attacks then Rottweilers would be quite high up on the list but then if you delve deeper than you would find out the reason for this. I'm not going to try and explain more though as it's usually the case that when someone has made their mind up about something like this then they stick to it no matter what so I'd be wasting my time.

But part of the reason is something similar to this....Imagine that black Toyota Fortuners were one of the most popular cars on the road today but there were also quite a few movies where the bad guy drove a big, black Toyota Fortuner and people were killed/injured by it. Now imagine that the media (who make money by selling stories, many of which are made up or exaggerated, to ignorant and easily led people) highlighted every single incident involving a black Toyota Fortuner but didn't do the same with black MU7's or CRV's or even a little, cute Yaris or Jazz. Are you with me so far? Good. And because of these movies, as well as normal, responsible people owning black Fortuners, many stupid and irresponsible people without a driving license also got one (because of the perceived image it gave them) and drove while intoxicated or on drugs which resulted in some serious injuries and deaths which, naturally, resulted in more media hype about the big, bad, black Toyota Fortuner. So then, after a while of this happening, the majority of people had a totally irrational fear of every black Fortuner they saw even though most of them were being driven by responsible people. Hopefully you will understand what I'm trying to say, if not then mai pen rai.

And Jubby, if you insist on running out into the road in front of every car you saw then I'm sure, every now and then, one might accidentally hit you and if it's a Fortuner you're more likely to remember it more than a Nissan March. But, rest assured, next time you see my Hollie you can play with her mouth all you want, if she bites you (hard) I'll buy you a D-Tracker.

(Reason for edit, my dog licking my feet so I couldn't concentrate)

Edited by skybluestu

A D-Tracker Stu. Can you put an order in for me tommorow . I'll have a black one thanks. She'll bite me hard . I'm sure of it. I'll have tears in my eyes , just you wait and see B)

[/quote

OK, black one it is, that's my favourite too although I'm also quite fond of the new 'KTM' orange. But how will you ride it with only one hand?!

I sat on the ER6n and started it up that's for sale in the bike shop here in CR, beautiful bike and I can't get it out of my head. Guess I should hurry up and get the D-Tracker before I change my mind, if I saw a used 2010 ABS model I'd be mighty tempted!

Skybluestu, where I come from, we reckon there's hardly ever smoke without a fire.

Toyota Fortuner don't rip up little kids.

Most people will admit that these dogs are a dangerous breed that can be trained to be a family pet but as a parent I don't and won't gamble with the safety of my kid.

Skyblue, you wrote a beautiful story.

The main opinion about a Rottweiler is about the Thai family who bought who got two Rottweilers from the same pack... they already had one R and thought they knew about dogs.

After two or three days they left their one year old baby alone with the dogs.. I mean how stupid can you be? Of course they played with the baby and at the end it was killed. Who is to blame? The dogs or the owners? tomorrow I will make a picture of mine, just look what a sweet dog she is.

And right... play with her... grab her in the mouth... she never hurted me. I had boxers all my life.. Tigerd where you got yours?? I am sure Boxers and Rottweilers go together very well!

Didong... if you give as much attention to your dog as with your family, I mean see it as a part of a family without thinking that it is "your baby" It is and stays a dog... The dog will never hurt or harm your family.

Skyblue, if you have a tel nr. Please PM me!

these dogs havee a very bad reputation in england many owners and children have been mauled by them fact.

i just dont see why people take the chances with these dogs especially around children.

yes they can be trained for a pet but you never know what could set them off on an attack, i like dogs but am always wary around rottys

'According to the FCI Standard, the Rottweiler is good-natured, placid in basic disposition, fond of children, very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work'. That seems like quite a good quote to start my final replyon this thread.

Dindong and taninthai, you both say they can be trained to be a family pet whereas it's acually the other way round, they naturally make great family pets and need to be trained to be vicious, aggressive dogs but unfortunately there are idiots who do this. Their natural temperament is actually very calm and friendly and they are very very intelligent dogs. But because they are so intelligent and easily trained, together with their size and strength, it means that some people get them for the wrong reasons and that is when problems occur.

They are not fighting dogs, they were initially used many years ago by the Roman army to herd and protect their cattle while they conquered Europe as they have a strong natural protective instinct which is why people often get them as guard dogs but they are very sociable and intelligent dogs and need to be around people and/or other dogs. If they are left chained up all day with no social or mental stimulation then they aren't going to be the happiest dog are they!

I'm not sure Dindong understood my Fortuner story so I'll try and explain again but this time a bit simpler. Rottweilers are very very popular dogs, there are a lot of them living with families all around the world and they make fantastic family pets. But because there are so many of them the chances of one biting someone are higher than another dog that isn't so popular. If there were 100 black Fortuners and only 50 Blue ones then the odds are that the Black one would be in more accidents. Also, if a Rottweiler attacks then it makes a good front page story for newspapers because of the reputation they have but you don't read anything about a poodle that mauled a baby to death (true story) or any of the other hundreds of dog attacks that take place on a daily basis and people are also more likely to report a Rottweiler attack then if a Labrador or Dalmation bit them.

If you look into the background of each reported dog attack, like many organisations have, you will find that there is often a history of abuse and neglect concerning that dog and very little training/socialization done when it was a puppy. Many are un-nuetered males as well which makes that dog a bit more feisty. This is true of every dog, not just Rottweilers, and people shouldn't be so ignorant to these facts. Rottweilers are used in a positive way the world over for many things including search & rescue, guide dogs for the blind, police dogs and are also taken to hospitals to visit sick people.

But like I said in an earlier post, people often make a decision or form an opinion about something and are unwilling to change it regardless of what others say (so I'm more than likely wasting my time writing this) and unfortunately their opinion is often based on a stereotype and undeserved reputation. There are still far too many people who think every Muslim is a terrorist, that every black man is going to rob them, that every gay man has HIV and that every Thai female is a prostitute!

Time to walk my dog.

Edited by skybluestu

The differene is breeding. In the UK and probably esleweher too - Rotties were used as fighting dogs (Bull Baiting, Dog Fights, Bear Baiting etc). They were bred for their aggressiveness. Even with the best will in the world and loads of love and training, its simply not possible to remove thousand's of years of selective breeding. Of course, it may be that these dogs were used elsewhere for other reasons historically and were not bred for aggressiveness, but I doubt it - most non European dogs would come from European stock at somepoint - and not too distant.

They are safer as single animals too - packs (even as small as 2) seems to bring out their natural (if 'natural' is the right word here) traits especially with respect to playing and hunting. Can your dog not have a playmate that is not another of its kin?

Didong... if you give as much attention to your dog as with your family, I mean see it as a part of a family without thinking that it is "your baby" It is and stays a dog... The dog will never hurt or harm your family.

I know some people really care for a dog but treating it the same as your child..........I don't think so.

I'm not sure Dindong understood my Fortuner story so I'll try and explain again but this time a bit simpler.

There are still far too many people who think every Muslim is a terrorist, that every black man is going to rob them, that every gay man has HIV and that every Thai female is a prostitute!

i did understand your story but comparing it to an attack on a child by a ferocious breed of dog doesn't make sense.

also I ask, would you let your child be cared for, by a gay man with aids, a muslim from Afganistan or a prostitute from Nana?

I am sure your dogs are great but the truth is, they can be dangerous and I would not like to take the risk.

I know some people really care for a dog but treating it the same as your child..........I don't think so.

I'm not sure Dindong understood my Fortuner story so I'll try and explain again but this time a bit simpler.

There are still far too many people who think every Muslim is a terrorist, that every black man is going to rob them, that every gay man has HIV and that every Thai female is a prostitute!

i did understand your story but comparing it to an attack on a child by a ferocious breed of dog doesn't make sense.

also I ask, would you let your child be cared for, by a gay man with aids, a muslim from Afganistan or a prostitute from Nana?

I am sure your dogs are great but the truth is, they can be dangerous and I would not like to take the risk.

Oh look, there's a wall, I'll go and bang my head against it! I may as well do that instead of reply again about Rottweilers and their temperament but I will reply about your comments above.

There are far too many people in this world who form an ignorant opinion based on a stereotype or undeserved reputation instead of an educated opinion or one based on their own personal experience. Some examples of this are those who think all Rottweilers are vicious child-killers, all gay men have HIV, all black men are criminals, all muslims are terrorists or all Thai females are hookers, these are just a few. Now, although a very tiny % of these stereotypical views may well be true, it is not fair to pigeon hole a whole species or group of people based on this tiny %. Kao jai mai?

And to answer your question, yes I would let my child be cared for by any one of those people, I made the most important word bigger for you so you understand why my answer is yes.

When I lived in Farham Chiangmai, my opposite neighbors had a pack of dogs and amongst them two labradors. I always had Schnapps (the name of my dog) on line but these two L's were always agressive, opened the gate and tried to fight with S.

One day I was sick and tired about that and I let S unlined. The two L's tried to fight S but she just stood there... looking like "what's up doc?" and did not fight at all.

Yes!! Labradors are SOOOO sweet!

I can see how people love their dogs. I am pretty fond of a good dog. I have friends who have had several rotties over the years and their kids grew up with them, no troubles.

At the same time, I have read enough news accounts and seen enough interviews on TV about how the sweetest, most loving, gentle rottie in the world killed the owner's kid or kids or wife or husband or grandmother or whatever. On and on and on those stories go. I just read one today about a rottie that killed a neighbor's kid and the owner and the grandmother of the victim BOTH said that the rottie loved the little boy, the little boy had played with the dog for a long time and they all thought that the biggest danger the dog posed was licking someone to death. Then, the boy was standing on the street, not even knowing the dog was in the area when the dog attacked and killed him. Man, I have seen so many cases where the owners and the neighbors are just in total disbelief about what the dogs have done. That dog was their baby, their friend, their family member. NO WAY that dog did that! But it happened and they saw it happen. And it isn't always kids that get killed. Healthy adults have fallen victim to the same gentle dogs.

So, while it may be great for some to have one, I would never have one. Not when my kids were little, not now that I don't have any of my own kids nearby. I think more of my neighbors than that. It is just not worth the risk and there are too many other breeds out there that don't have that record. Being hard-headed about having a notorious breed isn't worth it. You can always have the dog put down when he screws up but you can't bring back that kid that was killed.

Now, if you know that you're always going to have the dog on a leash in public and that no children can come into contact with the dog on your property and there is no way the dog can EVER leave the property without you going with it, then maybe it is safe.

I killed a neighbor's rottie about eight years ago. I lived more than a mile from the neighbor but I had a bitch in heat and here he came. Huge dog. I called the neighbor, she said he will come home when he gets hungry and not to worry. I told her that he was being aggressive towards me and that my daughter couldn't come out of the house for fear and because I would not let her come out when the aggressive dog was in the yard. She said he won't hurt anyone. I closed the phone, walked outside with a gun in one hand and a pool cue in the other and headed for the dog. He headed for me. I raised the cue in plenty of time to warn him and still he came. One shot, one kill. Loaded him in the truck and took him home and dumped him in her driveway. She asked me what happened. I told her he was hungry now. I normally HATE to shoot a dog but I felt pretty good about that one. I'm a family man. My yard is my yard and my kids aren't going to be kept in the house because of an idiot dog owner.

Tibetan Mastiff. HUGE dog. But one of the very best for identifying what is his/hers to protect and knowing just how much aggression to display or force to use to end a threat. That dog is Man's Best Friend, regardless of the movie by the same name that shows one to be out-of-his mind ferocious. But if you get one, get a female. Males go where the scent is, when it comes. They can't help themselves. A female will stay home and take care of what is hers to take care of. You teach her where the property line is and she owns it after that. Introduce her ONE time to a friend or worker and she will always allow that friend or worker to pass if you're home. She will instantly recognize people she has already met. If a stranger comes, she will position herself between the stranger and you or your loved ones until you introduce her to the stranger. If you do not make an introduction, then she will repeat that performance if the stranger returns later. And if the stranger moves left or right, she moves too, to stay in the center. She isn't paying him any attention that you can discern but she is aware of what every square inch of his body is doing

The truth is, any dog can turn on its owner or neighbors. And just about any human can turn on its family, neighbors or co-workers. But all things considered, we just have to use our experience and knowledge to make the best decisions for our own and our family's safety.

A gay guy with aids is someone that I could take care of, day in, day out. I couldn't turn my back on someone like that. Aids doesn't scare me, nor do gay people. But that gay guy with aids is not going to take care of my kids. I don't know all that could go wrong and I think too much of my family to give it a test run. Same with Muslims in Afghanistan. I have worked with Muslims there and in Iraq. Great guys, great people, will give you the shirt off their backs. Been invited to homes, weddings and all sorts of social events where I really thought that the likely outcome was me getting ambushed and killed; not by my Muslim friends and co-workers but by the "Bad Guys". The Bad Guys spent enough time trying to kill my Muslim friends so I know they would not blink about killing me. I'm all too happy to spend time with the good ones. But NONE of the MEN are going to be watching my kids. I am all too aware of how different their societies are from ours and the things that they see as "okay" to do to children; boys or girls. Muslim women- Yeah, they can watch my kids if I know them. No problem. They are as upset about what the men do to children as I am. Is it a Muslim thing in itself when one speaks of Afghanistan people? I don't know. I just know the culture there and their men babysitting my kids isn't a good thing. Are Christian men in those countries the same as the Muslim men in that debate? I don't know. Never met one.

So, there is no convincing a rottie owner. And there is no convincing someone who is wary of rotties. In that case, perhaps it is best to follow the advice of the rottie experts. Look VERY far into the heritage of your almost new dog before you make the purchase. If you cannot trace the history of the dog back through many generations of gentle ancestors, then the risk of getting a bad one outweighs buying one. Wait until you can find one that is proven to be from gentle breeding, many generations.

But to answer the original question, I have no idea where to buy a rottie. Try a PM to Scea. I think he is a dog guy and even if he isn't, he knows lots of folks around here and where to find lots of stuff.

Edited by kandahar
  • Like 1

I don't often feel nostalgic when reading TV but I do today, I used to love Jackanory!

I've been bitten a couple of times and almost bitten many times by dogs in the UK, Australia, India and Thailand and none of them were by a Rottweiler. They were mainly mongrels but also a Collie, Golden Retriever, Jack Russell and a Great Dane. My dog, almost on a daily basis here in Thailand, has dogs either bite or try to bite her and they have ranged from Golden Labradors and Poodles to Dalmations and Alsations. She has never, not once, tried to fight back and has never, not once, shown any aggression to anyone. She has met many of my students, neighbours kids and kids while out on her daily walk and on the hash here and there has never been a problem. Sure, everyone has read about a Rottie killing a kid, dogs do unfortunately sometimes kill people but you'll only read about it if a Rottie or Pit Bull does it! Of course if a big dog bites someone then the damage will be greater than a smaller dog but only a very small % of Rottweilers attack people, much less so than most other breeds. Applied Animal Behaviour Science recently conducted a study on the most aggressive dogs, here are the results and a link to some more interesting reading.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2254479/Sausage-dogs-are-the-most-aggressive-dogs.html

10. German Shepherd

9 Border Collie

8. English Springer Spaniel

7. Beagle

6. Pit Bull

5. Australian Cattle Dog

4. Akita

3. Jack Russell Terrier

2. Chihuahua

1. Dachshund

So, while it's been an interesting discussion with some great points of view, I will continue to let my dog meet people/kids and walk her off the leash as I have done every day until there is a reason (apart from just her breed!) not to.