Ban Phe And Rayong Bars

Rayongy

Visit in Ban Phe - Bedrock guesthouse bar / grill, or christies - Both are great watering holes- located opposite the pier in Ban Phe, these are my favorite 2 bars, why not pop over to koh samed some great bars located here for a day out & pub crawl - Buddy bar in saikaew / lamp bar in Ao Phai / Baywatch bar in vongduern - then get the last ferry home. visit http://kohsamed.net a great resource for this area.

enjoy

Edited by mallorca284673

• 2 weeks later...

Visit in Ban Phe - Bedrock guesthouse bar / grill, or christies - Both are great watering holes-

enjoy

Seconded. Both have good food and good company in the bar. My preference leans to Mark & Aom at Bedrock.

Ban Phe is dead - both bars seem to have noone in! And what a bunch of mardy XXXX the locals farangs are. They seem to have caught that desease....the 'its mine all mine, I dont want to see another farang' afflication.

As I am walking into Tesco, I say Hello to an obvious brit, totally balnks me, ignores what he just heard then tries desperately to say hello to two middle aged women flogging mobile phones who obviously don't know him or indeed recognise him! Strange fruit indeed! Another xxxxxis walking his dog, trying desperately to talk in terrible Thai to a couple of boat ticket sellers. They just try and flog him a ticket whilst he is wildy attempting acceptance by the local commuity - of course, he blanks me when I give him a smile and my nephew says 'welcome to Ban Phe'. Hey well. I guess its just me, 3 Somchais and a bottle of Mekong then.

I like my relatives but I do tire of the Ban Phe native conversations.

Edited by Rooo
Removed expletive. Rooo.

Ban Phe is dead - both bars seem to have noone in! And what a bunch of mardyxxx_the locals farangs are. They seem to have caught that desease....the 'its mine all mine, I dont want to see another farang' afflication.

As I am walking into Tesco, I say Hello to an obvious brit, totally balnks me, ignores what he just heard then tries desperately to say hello to two middle aged women flogging mobile phones who obviously don't know him or indeed recognise him! Strange fruit indeed! Another xxxxis walking his dog, trying desperately to talk in terrible Thai to a couple of boat ticket sellers. They just try and flog him a ticket whilst he is wildy attempting acceptance by the local commuity - of course, he blanks me when I give him a smile and my nephew says 'welcome to Ban Phe'. Hey well. I guess its just me, 3 Somchais and a bottle of Mekong then.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Right now not many people in town so thats why not many people in the bars. I like Ban Phe myself i guess depends what the individual is looking for.

Cheers Mark :D

Edited by Rooo
Removed expletive. Rooo.

• 2 weeks later...

Ban Phe's fine, a bit small but decent grub in the Christie Bar. Jim, the owner of the Christie Bar has a book shop right beside it with a couple of 1000 titles.

Never been to Bedrock but met the owner- Mark, and had a couple of beers with him, good guy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ban Phe is dead - both bars seem to have noone in! And what a bunch of mardy XXXX the locals farangs are. They seem to have caught that desease....the 'its mine all mine, I dont want to see another farang' afflication.

As I am walking into Tesco, I say Hello to an obvious brit, totally balnks me, ignores what he just heard then tries desperately to say hello to two middle aged women flogging mobile phones who obviously don't know him or indeed recognise him! Strange fruit indeed! Another xxxxxis walking his dog, trying desperately to talk in terrible Thai to a couple of boat ticket sellers. They just try and flog him a ticket whilst he is wildy attempting acceptance by the local commuity - of course, he blanks me when I give him a smile and my nephew says 'welcome to Ban Phe'. Hey well. I guess its just me, 3 Somchais and a bottle of Mekong then.

What's ones mans poison is another mans meat... Having been going to Bhan Phe for years now, I can say I have never encountered any unfreindly behavior from expats, infact in my expeiriences in both Christies and Bedrock I've had a good time with the locals and find them to be quite a nice group of people, okay sometimes not many people are out and the place can be quiet, but hang on a minute, thats why I go, no hussle and bussle, I like it quiet at times, it's relaxing....Nice to be away from Bangkok or the likes of Pattaya, a refreshing change..

Hey well yes, maybe it is just you.

• 4 weeks later...

They seem to have caught that desease....the 'its mine all mine, I dont want to see another farang' afflication.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's not just Ban Phe but anywhere you encounter expats in Thailand, there are always a few who act like they want to avoid other Westerners like the plague. I always try to smile and nod at falangs I see at Tesco, but often get ignored. I don't know, maybe they feel threatened by other Westerners? It's a mystery to me. :blink:

As for Rayong bars, Wizards is your best option. It's the only thing close to a falang bar in Rayong. The former "Sit & Drink" is now called Goy's Bar or something similar, named after the owner who is a friendly hostess. It's just down the street from the Rayong City Hotel. It's a very ,very quiet place, not a place to go for excitement. There's another bar one block over, just around the corner from Sabaii Sabaii restaurant, called Bar Kru. It can be fun some nights. The hot clubs/bars among the young Thais are The Cozy Corner, Loft Bar, Bliss and Rayong Brew, all located on Rad Bumrung (sp?) Rd, the main strip for bars in Rayong .

• 1 month later...

@ <SPAN class="author vcard">HarryLime i know what you mean i have just experience it was on the strip for some lunch as its father day no one is serving alcohol so i ask a expat here he just looked at me like crap so i asked some black guy who was at one of pub at the end of the street samething again what the hell is wrong with people today

Edited by bangchangnicky

• 1 month later...

The former "Sit & Drink" is now called Goy's Bar or something similar, named after the owner who is a friendly hostess. It's just down the street from the Rayong City Hotel. It's a very ,very quiet place, not a place to go for excitement. There's another bar one block over, just around the corner from Sabaii Sabaii restaurant, called Bar Kru. It can be fun some nights.

A little update for anyone interested:

-Was at Goy's Bar the other night. Very slow. There was just Goy and her niece working. I was the only customer in the place for about an hour. Bought the niece a drink. When the bill came I noticed an extra 100 baht charge on the bill. Goy is now charging for a girl to sit with you, just like the karaoke places! Beware.

-Started going to a bar I like called Y33. It's on the main drag (Radbumrung?) across the road and down a bit from the Love Club. Nice laidback atmosphere, and I think a big Leo is only about 70-80 baht. A few girls hang out there, but no pressure for drinks.

-Bar Kru is a hit-or-miss depending on the night. Boom, the owner, is a really fun lady. She sometimes has attractive female friends helping her. One night there were two cute ladies who wouldn't give me the time of day. Went back a couple of nights later and drank with a group of Thais who were lots of fun.

-Wizards is still your best falang-bar option in Rayong, located at the Star Night Market right next to The Florida Cafe. BTW, Florida is one of those very loud dance/karaoke/hostess type clubs. I always see lots of hotties going in and out but I've never set foot in the place.

• 2 months later...

Stay away from Goy's too many hidden charges. I stayed in Rayong for the last 3 months working in Maptaphut. Spent alot of time at Y33. Count your change and be careful. The staff is skilled at short changing you if they think your drunk. Also they quit watching any sports on the telly. The owner said it caused too many problems with the customers. ??? Stopped going there. Then I found Wizards. Its adequete. A little bit dark and dingy.They have a one armed bandit there that the girls use and they constantly pester the customers for spare change to feed it. Very annoying. I saw a couple fights break out , mostly between thais ,one with a falang,the poor bloke was jumped by about 7 thais. Really there are no good places in Rayong. The best place I found is called Joy Bar and its more of a restaraunt. Around the corner from Wizards in front of the Star Hotel. They have good food ,football games on the telly . Ended up spending alot of time there with my co-workers. Never had any problems there. And the prices were cheaper then the other places.

After spening the past 3 months in the Rayong area , I have to agree with you about the farangs in Ban Phe. They are not welcoming and seem a bit too proud of their litle association. Although the owner of the bedrock was most friendly and accomodating as was the help. There just seemed to be a few falangs who semed to think they own the place and you need to be accepted by them to be welcomed in 'their' community. Not worth the headache of dealing with A**h***s.

• 1 month later...

Wow! I see this today and register for the forum just to agree. I have friends near Ban Phe all the year around and I went with my wife to visit with them after Christmas. We had a very good time mostly. But sometimes, I don't know, the British drunks in Ban Phe bars are too much. Bad language I do not mind so much but not shouting when there are women in the bars. Bedrock bar was nice with good people working and taking care of everybody with smiles and good personalitys but then the drunks arrive and take over! My God!

So we went to Christy's Bar the next day. Good. And then the same guys they arrive and again get drunk and threatening. So we go again. Next place okay. Then they come in the bar again. Enough! No more. Now it is not funny but was never funny before anyway. Once, okay. Twice not good, Three times. No. Thank you but I will stay away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i ask a expat here he just looked at me like crap so i asked some black guy who was at one of pub at the end of the street samething again what the hell is wrong with people today

They are mostly bitter old drunks who want to stay in their clique, unfortunately the guys in the clique are the biggest bunch of backstabbing knobs the World has ever known.

the drunks arrive and take over! My God!

Yes, I know what you mean. They're just a bunch of miserable old expats who think they've found a place to be accepted while they rub each others egos.

• 3 weeks later...

All in all if u dont live in ban phe how do u quickly make these assumptions and based on what 1 or 2 sessions in any of the pubs in phe.

Its easy to cast doubt behind the cover of a forum.

I love ban phe and the people in it. I am not perfect but it sounds like you are !!!!!

Mark Bedrock