Loei

ukdog

Yep, how long is a piece of string, :D I know? But can anyone give me a ball park figure per rai for standard land not adjacent to any major road or in town.

Anyone able to indicate how well land sells that far north? (Indian Country :o )

dog

Edited by ukdog

My northern base is Namsom north west of Loei (massive upgrading of what was a small dirt track over the very scenic hills has made Loei a much easier destination for me recently)

Land prices are all over the place from 8000b a rai to I million baht a rai dependant on a whole raft of factors not least a farang might be interested.

Land you describe could be in the range of 100k -150k for land that could be built on near or in a village.Down to 15k-35k further out could double if rice land.

Best thing is find out what similar land is fetching locally.Ask at the small local village shops they know everything thats going on and can often put you in touch with people trying to sell land.Its usually worth a small commission to introduce a sale!

Edited by chaiyapoon

Yep, how long is a piece of string,   :D  I know? But can anyone give me a ball park figure per rai for standard land not adjacent to any major road or in town.

Anyone able to indicate how well land sells that far north? (Indian Country  :o )

dog

Too many variables to give price on any price of land. In the wife's village (Udon area) they are asking ridiculously high prices because some idiot falang a few years back paid well over the odds, 10x its value IMO, now they all want the bloody same and nobody wants to drop the price unless they need cash quick.

My Advice to any falang wanting to buy land is to find out what the locals pay in that area, don't let them know its for a falang. Also compare prices within a wide area because there can be big fluctuations as in the case of my wifes village, its over priced but a few kilometers up the road in the next village its more realistically priced. TIT.

Land in the middle of nowhere with no road or electric same advice applies, but 15K maybe 20K baht per rai. If you want to keep it for rice or other crops talk to the guys that work the land, Mother-in law has rice field that is sh*t 3 or 4 fields down they get some really good crops cos its near the river.

S&M

Edited by Steve&mem

although as other posters mentioned there are too many variables, from what i have recently seen/checked round Loei, you could be having a good choice with less than 200k.

I'd check

http://www.krungsriproperty.com/

and

http://www.kasikornbank.com/GlobalHome/TH/homepage.html

as a starting point , plenty of repossesed land there, should give you an idea

be well

costas

My girlfriend found 11 rai of land for 200,000 baht. It is on a dirt road and has no electricity or water. It appears to be fairly good rice land. As soon as the farang went and looked at it the price went to 300,000. I told my girlfriend to tell the owner that there will be no negotiation and that at this point I refuse to pay even 200,000 baht.

The correct answer is that the land is worth whatever another person is willing to pay for it. A friend of mine is paying 500,000 for 3.2 rai located near Chum Pai. :D

Yep, how long is a piece of string,  :D  I know? But can anyone give me a ball park figure per rai for standard land not adjacent to any major road or in town.

Anyone able to indicate how well land sells that far north? (Indian Country  :o )

dog

I think Ray23 did some research on land in Loei.

Land around the border crossing is becoming very popular and I remember reading that it is now worth about 10 times what it was.

I'm not sure if the border is open or not - my brother-in-law was working on building the friendship bridge - and all the buildings are in place. But the Laos authorities have asked the Thais not to send over anyone as the roads on the Laos side are in a poor state.

I think Ray23 did some research on land in Loei.

Land around the border crossing is becoming very popular and I remember reading that it is now worth about 10 times what it was.

I'm not sure if the border is open or not - my brother-in-law was working on building the friendship bridge - and all the buildings are in place. But the Laos authorities have asked the Thais not to send over anyone as the roads on the Laos side are in a poor state.

Alleta is right I did research the area and many more as well. Truth is if you want a good buy, you have to be the first farrang in the area, a newbie will drive the costs sky high and not even realize he is doing it. They keep thinking about what land costs in thier home country, not what the value is here.

You want a good price your Thia connection, wife/ girlfriend is going to have to find it. You have to stay out of the picture. This one is not easy, if the neighbors even see you and her together the entire village will know you are supplying the money.

Thias sell to Thais at the correct prices they won't sell to a thia who is connected to a farrang at the proper price. I think the key is patience, don't get angry if a Thia raises the price, thats just how it is, adapt. If you really want the place barter, if you don't then move on. I promise you're not going to teach them fair business practices.

Finding a motivated seller and having cash is important a friend just bought six ria about 5 KMS out of Udon, land just down the street was selling for 300K a ria and was being purchased. The guy needed money to run for public offfice in the village, they pay thier tea money too, it sold for 125K a ria.

So with those thought in mind I would have to say that there is really no fair pice established anywhere. You just got to keep searching for what is right for you in any area you go to. In the meantime keep paying these terribly high rents mine is 3500 a month I think I will survive.

Edited by ray23

In the meantime keep paying these terribly high rents mine is 3500 a month I think I will survive.

Patience is certainly a virtue to be had when looking for property here.You can easily drive yourself mad with the goings on surrounding a purchase.