Uk Embasy Domicile Interview

Hi

I have an appointment at the UK embassy next week for an interview to establish my “domicile” status or put another way, my continuing connection with the UK in order to get a UK passport for our daughter. I am a UK citizen my wife is Thai and we want our daughter to have the advantage of UK citizenship.

What kind of questions should we be expecting at the interview? Somebody told me that it was just a formality but has anybody actually been to one of these interviews and can give us the info on what to expext?

Thanks. :o

oops.. sorry, misread your post and thought you wanted info about a thai getting a visa to go to UK... did post a link, but it was useless for what you wanted

Good Luck..!

totster :o

Edited by Totster

hi there...we had our interview last week,nothing to worry about!

both you and youre wife will need to sign a paterniy form which the embassy will do for you and you need to fill out the domicile questionaire,some of the questions are stupid but you have to do it and it costs a bit.but its cheaper than getting youre child a visa!

i am now waiting for my sons passport it takes upto 6 weeks!

lee

In my case in Chiang Mai there was no interview. Just both signed the parental forms in front of the consulate staff and I took home the domicile questionnaire and filled it in. Some daft questions like, 'where do you want to be buried' etc, but don't worry, it's harmless enough. Costs an extra 9,000 baht or something, include the parental declaration form signings, but worth it to get the passport.

As an aside, if anyone else out there is having a kid with a Thai and plans to take them back to the UK (not sure about other countries), make sure you get married before the baby's born or you will have to go through the extra hassle and expense as us three have. :o

Hi

Thanks all for the info. It didn’t seem anything to be worried about but no harm in getting as much advance info as possible. We have already filled out the domicile questionnaire and I agree some of the questions a bit weird, afraid left most of mine blank will need help at the interview if they really want to fill in all the answers.

Why would they assume everybody has been married several times before? If I remember there was space for details of about four previous failed marriages. Not very encouraging is it :o

I agree with jackr if you are going to have a baby get married before it arrives, saves extra hassle.

Beachcomber.