Was It Better In The Old Days?

svenivan

I was reading some old posts in this forum and wonder if it was more fun and interesting then when people did not saved their hot words about each other.

A very good example that also gives a lot of information about restaurants in Chiang Rai.

The topic was closed because of ... you can find out yourselves.

Interesting topic !

:P:bah::annoyed:

Who's saving there 'Hot words' Sven. We use our 'hot words' now, but maybe we are just Joking. A few more smileys may have saved the restaurant topic , maybe , I don't know.

I do hope that you never catch me argueing the toss over the best knoodle shop in Chiang Rai though :)

Who's saving there 'Hot words' Sven. We use our 'hot words' now, but maybe we are just Joking. A few more smileys may have saved the restaurant topic , maybe , I don't know.

I do hope that you never catch me argueing the toss over the best knoodle shop in Chiang Rai though :)

Maybe the sheriff was trigger happy.

sheriff.jpg

I like it peaceful, there's places on ThaiVisa where abuse can be hurled in moderate quantities, I personally choose not to go there on most days.

I dislike it when people are ridiculed for trying to offer help to others and have been known to fire a few warning shots in retaliation.

I find the easiest way to avoid confrontation or just plain boredom is just not to read some people. I have a sort of mental block on certain board names.

I like it peaceful, there's places on ThaiVisa where abuse can be hurled in moderate quantities, I personally choose not to go there on most days.

I dislike it when people are ridiculed for trying to offer help to others and have been known to fire a few warning shots in retaliation.

I find the easiest way to avoid confrontation or just plain boredom is just not to read some people. I have a sort of mental block on certain board names.

The example Sven gave didn't seem bad at all to me, but I guess it wouldn't.

Interesting to see something from Soap and Joel barlow. I know soaps around but not sure about Joel. Its a shame we don't have their contributions anymore. Soaps a great Guy, and I'm sure Joel was/Is too.

I remember Brahmburgers used to contribute quite a lot too, Not heard anything from him in a while.

Oh by the way, This comment is to the other 2 people on here, just in case Scea's doesn't read me :D

I think 'Warning shots' are good, we can't always see that the conversations are heading in the wrong direction especially when we're on a roll . I haven't received mine yet .

Be interesting to have a Moderators Point of View here

I was talking in general terms rather than referring to Sven's example. There have been far worse moments in the Chiang Rai sub-forum than that I can assure you.

I suppose you will always have conflict between those who see it as a social networking site and others who would prefer to keep it as a source of information only.

I'm ambivalent myself, what seems like a good idea today will usually have the wheels come off tomorrow.

VF with a blog, Facebook, Twitter and photo galleries, is clearly in the social networking camp. Just look at the bottom of this page with all the links to Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Buzz, Del.icio, Stumble and it is pretty clear that TV wants to be part of the modern social networking trend. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is plenty of space for everyone here and there is no need to choose sides. None of us can have everything our own way, nor can we bask in the glory of our past laurels. Contribute what you can and don't be too peeved if others are interested in different things. That only helps to broaden the scope of offerings on our little sub-forum. I always like things the way they are now and have never been one for nostalgia. Perhaps I'm just not old enough to be nostalgic yet. ;)

I was talking in general terms rather than referring to Sven's example. There have been far worse moments in the Chiang Rai sub-forum than that I can assure you.

I suppose you will always have conflict between those who see it as a social networking site and others who would prefer to keep it as a source of information only.

I'm ambivalent myself, what seems like a good idea today will usually have the wheels come off tomorrow.

Ain't that the Truth. I've just taken some wheels off my Quad today. Took them to have a slow puncture repaired and when immersed in water they show several punctures, infact they are positively Porous. Strange but true. made in China. Anyway, I digress . Sorry

Here's something to remember. NO person is going to agree with EVERYTHING you post. SOMEONE who doesn't like you is going to disagree with EVERY post you make. Someone is probably going to occasionally strongly disagree with something you post. Fence sitters aren't going to say much. Others, who have strong opinions, will say enough. And yeah, sometimes some people will run to a mod. I never have, never will. The mods will do their jobs without me crying to them. If someone says something on here that passes muster with the mods, then that is that. I'll take my lumps. You win some, you lose some.

Most of us need to remember, if you can't take it, don't dish it out. And some need to remember, veiled dishing is still dishing and someone just might come back with something not so veiled. GOOD!!

At the same time, if anyone thinks he/she can run to a mod and others shouldn't be able to, then they are wrong. Anyone that wants to be a crier needs to know it is okay when someone else cries about them. Fair, is fair. What's fair for one is fair for all.

I have had a few posts deleted. This one might get deleted. I'll live and post again.

I have struck in a bad way at a few that have posted disparaging comments about CR and the folks who live here. Those threads get closed, of course, because it degenerates into virtual fisticuffs. So be it. I'm still here.

I think this is a social networking site. And I think it is a source of info. And I think it is a source of fun, humor, ribbing and orneriness. I like all that it is.

This forum is a lot of things to me. I am grateful to have it. I have met so many people because of the forum and have made some really good friends because of the forum. I'm counting on it to continue that way.

I don't know anything about the "old days". I just know that someone, in ten or twenty years, will be wondering if the forum then is like the forum we are having now, in these "old days" of the future. Somehow, I think we are having more fun than they will be having.

• Like 1

VF with a blog, Facebook, Twitter and photo galleries, is clearly in the social networking camp. Just look at the bottom of this page with all the links to Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Buzz, Del.icio, Stumble and it is pretty clear that TV wants to be part of the modern social networking trend. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is plenty of space for everyone here and there is no need to choose sides. None of us can have everything our own way, nor can we bask in the glory of our past laurels. Contribute what you can and don't be too peeved if others are interested in different things. That only helps to broaden the scope of offerings on our little sub-forum. I always like things the way they are now and have never been one for nostalgia. Perhaps I'm just not old enough to be nostalgic yet. ;)

I agree ! ( Man , It Hurts , But I agree :whistling: ) :D

I agree ! ( Man , It Hurts , But I agree :whistling: ) :D

I know that must have hurt. :D You will get over it, though. ;)

orneriness !? Kd . your going to have to explain that to me over a coffee in the not too distant future.

ORNERINESS ..... Sounds like something VF would say. Speak of the Devil. ........

I'm going to disagree again. ;) Ornery is a bit folksy for my style. Crotchety, cantankerous, even truculent are more suited for VF's style and manner. :)

orneriness !? Kd . your going to have to explain that to me over a coffee in the not too distant future.

ORNERINESS ..... Sounds like something VF would say. Speak of the Devil. ........

That could be your free word of the day maybe :)

Happy to explain it. And for FREE!!!

Looking forward to that "not too distant future".

I'm going to disagree again. ;) Ornery is a bit folksy for my style. Crotchety, cantankerous, even truculent are more suited for VF's style and manner. :)

Yeah, I'm kind of folksy and not too academic. It shows, doesn't it?

Our online personas, each have their own unique styles. Sure would be boring if they didn't. :)

That could be your free word of the day maybe :)

I was thinking that too. But we'd both be in the Wrong Thread then :D

Our online personas, each have their own unique styles. Sure would be boring if they didn't. :)

Hey, VF. Don't go away, I've got something very Subliminal thats going to appeal to even your sense of Humour :D

...... Just give us a sec... .... There its done. How do you like it ? :lol:

Balls on Sven. Our forum seems to been hijacked by 4-5 folks (many noobs,I think), and the subject thread is usually changed to comment on each others dribble. Tayto, you still out there?

Fair comment. dribble ... Yes. .. Apologies

Balls on Sven. Our forum seems to been hijacked by 4-5 folks (many noobs,I think), and the subject thread is usually changed to comment on each others dribble. Tayto, you still out there?

As long as it is humerous dribble then it is better than the alternative.

As long as it is humerous dribble then it is better than the alternative.

I suspect we're going to go back to the Alternative by popular Vote.

Just before I go, whats Noob !? .... Nob , Knobhead or New Boy ? ...... Just so nothing gets lost in translation

I feel I must also apologise for a ) being a 'noob' and b ) for hijacking 'your' forum. I sincerely hope that, one day, I will be accepted by the most venerable folk who used to argue over which restaurant to go to and stop dribbling. I realise that my continued dribbling will have an impact on my forthcoming performance review and should I wish to attain the lofty heights of acceptance granted by the restaurant critics and relieve myself of the awful stigma attached to my 'noob' status I must be less accepting of those who dribble, must not comment on dribble and, most importantly, argue my point from a more rigid personal viewpoint without humour or apology. ( I just broke rule #2, sorry....oops and rule #4!)

Yeah, I guess that I too have been out of line on this forum thing. My apologies. I'll be at the coffee shop tomorrow so I can compare my Big C and Tops shopping cards to the rest of them out there. I want to see if everyone has the same size, color and bar-codes that I have. Looking forward to seeing all of you TV folks there and doing something sensible and grown up for a change. After that, we can all go get our vinyl records and reel to reel tapes converted to 8-track tapes. Should be a lot of fun.

When the converting thing is finished, don't all of you run off. I will be passing around a petition to get a "Grumpy, Old, Bitter Men" sub-forum added to the CR forum. We need one. And if we get it, I promise to NEVER, EVER look at it or post on it.

Now, where are those hot words I have been meaning to use on here.............. Let me see..... Where did I put those?

Personally I find this whole new/old thing a bit confusing. More than 30 years in Bangkok but only 3 in the Rai. Guess that makes me a little of both. I better stop before my dribble spills out upon the page. ;)

Nope. You're a newbie here. Stop with the dribble.