Airport Taxis

sceadugenga

A common request here is "how much is a taxi from the airport to...."

Another is about alternative transport.

In 5 years and possibly 50 flights in and out of the airport I have never seen a tuktuk, independent taxi or songtaew working out of Chiang Rai airport. It's the airport taxi or walk out to the road.

These prices were current 1st August 2010.

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looked like about 1 km to the main road from the terminal, and about 9 more to downtown.

Many moons ago in Chiang Rai we had an occasional visitor who was sometimes referred to as "Uncle Mushroom". Lovely fella in his 70's, I believe. On a whim .. maybe a bet(?) .. he once walked from the airport to downtown. I can't remember how long it took, but it sounded impressive at the time.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick question about the taxis,

A friend of mine is arriving on the late flight from Bangkok (arrives 21:30 I believe?) I've arrived on this flight before but I was picking up a hire car and I can't remember if the taxis are still available at that time of the evening.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Biff

Biff, the Taxi's should be there at that time as well as those touting Taxi service due to many departing passengers arriving by taxi to catch that same plane.

Should be 200-300 into the main part of Chiang Rai.

That is not bad sonsidering what it scosts me in my own vehicle to come and go to the airport, plus I have to pay for the vehicle and insurance.

Taxi's are pretty cheap considering. That is only $6 - $9

Thanks :) I thought they should be there but you never know! :lol: I have some vague memory of the taxi office not being open when I last came in on the late flight, hopefully completely wrong but I don't want to tell my friend " yeah it will be fine" and it isn't! He'll be heading up to or house in Chiang Saen so it will be a while for him to wait for us if we have to borrow a vehicle and come get him!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

200 thb to downtown is for 1 person or 1 taxi with 2 persons ?

Anyway it's too expensive and they are cheaters, at for 10 kms it would cost only 100 thb in Bkk !

They do give you the option of walking and dragging your luggage, if you prefer.

No guarantee's on the office being open, should be, but there will always be the guys offering Taxi service right there as people come out of arrival baggage claim.

They were open :) price was quoted on the board as 800 baht, seeing as we're 5km further than Chiang Saen itself, actual price was 900 baht, seeing as there were 4 people, that's not so bad.

As for the fare downtown, it may be cheaper in Bangkok but there's more competition, I agree there should be more options at Mae Fah Luang, but there aren't, so it's 200 baht, which still isn't much really.

I got a Song Taew the other way, from the old bus station to the airport for 150 btw .

• 2 months later...

According to the board in the OP, Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai is 2900baht.

If you have time to spare and you don't want to pay that, it's 200 from the airport to the bus station.

Not sure what the bus fare to Chiang Mai is.... 300B?

I assume the return trip would be similar for bus and taxi.

You could try asking at a hotel or guest house, there may be a minibus service.

Failing that you could try asking in the Chiang Mai forum... B)

The Green Bus is fine we have used it several times.

Plus the local bust to the White temple, then we hailed a songthaew back to Chiang Rai

You get a songthaew, just ask at the office they will tell you where the songthaew is, it will be close to the office, it is only a small cost, you have to wait till it is full, so make sure you leave plenty of time to get to the other bus terminal, from the local city bus terminal in Chiang Rai to the bus terminal where you get the bus to Chaing Mai.

I hope this of help as i have had help in the past and these fella in Chiang Rai forum will help as much as they can.

The Chiang Mai forum people are just the same.:)

• 3 months later...

Downtown is 300 now. In a rambling old Toyota car, music was good though.

That's a lot of money and a lot of raise within one year. Can't help but feel cheated especially as there is no other way to get into town.

Where I come from I have a choice, I can take a bus or a train, for a lot less then 300 Baht.

Besides I stopped comparing prices with where I come from, instead I compare costs of things with prices in general here.

• 2 months later...

re Going to the Airport the beautifully named Wangcome Hotel downtown 200m west of Night Market towards Clock Towe does a mininbus I think 100 maybe 150 per person in time to catch all departures.I have used it both when a guest and not.

To C Mai note the new inter city bus sta is c5 km south of the old city center bus terminal (10 baht in songthaew shared or 150-200 if you buy it ou for sole use) takes about 10-15mins depending on the traffic.Locall runs to M Sai C kong Toeng etc still at old one

As well as normal Green Bus 3 hrs and Govt 99 which stop alot for 280 can go o VIP get drinks caes video/music games console only 3 seat cross one double one single.Big plus is Business clas reclining legroom and 140-160 min journey time .Non stop with toilet on board.Bookable on line if you can read Thai and join their fiddly fidelity prog www.greenbusthailand.com

When driving to Central Plaza have seen a free song thaew advertised not sure where it goes and when ,any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Archived