Airport Taxis

sceadugenga

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found a meter taxi in a petrol station as I was on my way to the airport from Chiang Saen (intending to go to the bus station first) in one of the mini vans that goes to and from the old bus station (this was in May 2013). He told me that it would be ฿600 to Chiang Saen (฿10 per km) and gave me his number so I could call ahead from Bangkok

It seems from what others have posted that they wait outside the airport, but if you're arriving late, might be worth a call.

Glad to see meter taxis in Chiang Rai!

• 3 months later...

There's definitely no taxi rank in the airport.

I just was flying in early last week (middle of Feb 2014) and there was even at nighttime a number of meter taxis waiting outside the airport building. I paid 110 + 40 Baht together. The taxi from the counter inside the buidling was charging 300 Baht.The meter taxis were waiting exact opposite the exit of the building...

Another question for me is, why there is no public transport system in Chiang Rai. The size of the town would justify it.

There's definitely no taxi rank in the airport.

I just was flying in early last week (middle of Feb 2014) and there was even at nighttime a number of meter taxis waiting outside the airport building. I paid 110 + 40 Baht together. The taxi from the counter inside the buidling was charging 300 Baht.The meter taxis were waiting exact opposite the exit of the building...

Another question for me is, why there is no public transport system in Chiang Rai. The size of the town would justify it.

They wait outside the Airport as they will not pay the fees the AOT wants.

• 2 weeks later...

These fares accurately reflect the distance of the 3 legs of the journey? 700B to fly to Chiang Rai - 300B for the counter taxi to the old bus station - 50B for the mini van right back past the airport and the rest of the 9/10ths of the way to Mae Sai? Great. Does anybody ever walk the 1.6 miles out to the 1?

You can see a Farang on Street View with a backpack. Looks like he walked from the airport all the way to the 1 and then heading back toward Chiang Rai- He's just approaching Makro on the East side. Lol

Fact of the matter is that the taxis at the airport charge over twice the price of a normal taxi. Walk out of the airport and across the street and there will be half a dozen taxis waiting to take you into town for 120 Baht instead of the 300 the airport charges.

• 3 weeks later...

Those metered taxis are now inside the airport compound. Just need to pay 30THB airport charge additional. Just notice, the taxi has factored in the return leg for them in the charges. Booked a taxi from mae sai back to CR airport and the charge is the same.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

anyone took taxi from airport these days? I took one on 2nd and the taxi and the guy who took care of the taxi queue was there. But today I flied and they weren't there and had to take one that just dropped off passenger.

anyone took taxi from airport these days? I took one on 2nd and the taxi and the guy who took care of the taxi queue was there. But today I flied and they weren't there and had to take one that just dropped off passenger.

Seems they are pretty busy at the airport. The last time I took one I had to wait for one to arrive but the wait was less than five minutes. If you're among the first out of baggage claim you likely won't have to wait at all though.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Can anyone tell me if the larger, Toyota Innova minivan taxis are also available curbside at the airport? I have a group of six or seven that I'd like to take from CEI to Mae Sai and would rather that we ride together instead of splitting across two taxis. Any information on rates or availability for this type of vehicle would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

HeyNow

Archived