Makro- Chiang Rai

kandahar

Not sure we need this topic in the Rai but here it is anyway.

We shopped there today. Today was the first time I have found can openers there. Have looked many times and always none, but today they have four different models. I bought a decent one.

They still don't have any cheese cutters/slicers.

Brian had recommended some frozen pizzas from there. I am not sure that we found what he mentioned but I bought a box of three that are "pre-cooked" and can be heated in the microwave. Have seen them before but was always afraid to try them. Today, 159 baht for the package of three 9 inch pizzas. Tried one of them already. It was better than the pizza at several of the pizza establishments in town. I won't name them here. These frozen ones would be a little better if I had an actual oven and if I added a few mushrooms or other items but still was plenty good for Thailand. I'll add green peppers and mushrooms to the next one. Cooking time is 13 minutes at 200 watts for a fully frozen pizza, less if it is partially thawed.

Edit: Changed cooking time from 3 minutes to 13 minutes to correct my typo.

Edited by kandahar
  • Like 1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They come out pretty well in the 990 baht fan forced oven they sell. Though why would you want to cook in ChiangRai. The Rimkok resort we ate at yesterday will stop us eating for at least 24 hours.

Glad to hear that you tried it, Harry and glad that you liked it. And the price of the buffet is right too, isn't it?

I might buy the little oven you speak of and see how I like it.

All this talk of pizza is making me dribble!

Well, you know the rules here in the Rai. Choose your thread wisely! whistling.gif

Rules! What rules? The only reason I moved to CR is because it was lawless, I'm off!

Well, it is good to see that you are following the "I quit" rule, if not the others.

But I'm sure you observed the dribble rule being put into place yesterday.

However, it is raining cats and dogs here right now so I'm not sure exactly how the "Dribble" rules applies.

I'm a fan of Macro, for newcomers to it, go to the counter as you enter and ask for a temporary card.

Kandahar, I've seen cheese cutters made from a board and a piece of piano wire that works as well or better than any bought one.

I'm sure a man of you mechanical ability could knock one up in ten minutes. :)

Well, you know the rules here in the Rai. Choose your thread wisely! whistling.gif

Rules! What rules? The only reason I moved to CR is because it was lawless, I'm off!

Well, it is good to see that you are following the "I quit" rule, if not the others.

But I'm sure you observed the dribble rule being put into place yesterday.

However, it is raining cats and dogs here right now so I'm not sure exactly how the "Dribble" rules applies.

Yes I did, I'm just jesting as I'm sure you know. I'm actually quite fond of a bit of dribble myself, my baby dribbles, my dog dribbles and, after a couple of Chang, even I dribble.

I'm a fan of Macro, for newcomers to it, go to the counter as you enter and ask for a temporary card.

Kandahar, I've seen cheese cutters made from a board and a piece of piano wire that works as well or better than any bought one.

I'm sure a man of you mechanical ability could knock one up in ten minutes. :)

I'll try. Let me find a piano first.

Then let's all agree to throw the dribble rule out, unless it is a serious thread. Who votes which way?

Hear, hear.

Okay. That's one hear, hear from Stu and the same from me. The count is two to zero. The polls are closed. Back to the old (newer) way. Sorry mumbo.

I think I've found a piano. I'm going to make several cheese cutters. It is part of my hobby work here at home. First one goes to Scea, whose idea it was and the second to my wife. If anyone else wants one, let me know on here, by e-mail on my profile page or by PM. I'll let you know when they are ready. If I can get jubby or VF to buy just one at the right price (wink, wink), the rest of you folks will get yours for free.

Edit- Oops! This thread is still on the home page of the Nation. So, sorry to say, this applies to the Chiang Rai TV gang only. My wife would beat me up if I started actually shipping things across Thailand and so would the government.

CM Harry, if you stop by again, ask me about cheese cutters.

Edited by kandahar

CM Harry, if you stop by again, ask me about cheese cutters.

I like my cheese in slabs. :rolleyes:

Next time we are there we will have to round up the neighbourhood kids and go to eat the buffet. On mother's day went there with the mother in law and a couple of nieces. The little one (8 yrs) ate free......They may charge double after having seen what she can eat. Not bad...5 people for 560 baht and the mother in law got a pot plant too....no not that kind of pot plant.

Edited by harrry

Stu do you have a doctor close by, get it fixed buddy...ASAP ..!!! :lol:

Welcome back Garry, must be nice to see the family again. I am a Dr, I self-diagnose and then self-medicate, all fixed now you'll be glad to hear. The dribble comment was actually just a little jest, if you keep reading the CR forum for a while you'll see why.

Kd, did you happen to notice the price of air con units in Makro? The reason I'm asking is that last time I was over we went and had a look because, in some thread somewhere on TV there was a post about how much cheaper they were there, but when I looked they were priced 'same same' as our local air con shop in Chiang Saen. Maybe they have special offers sometimes, not sure. If they do have specials from time to time, I might grab one when the price is low.

Cheers,

Biff

Welcome back Garry, must be nice to see the family again. I am a Dr, I self-diagnose and then self-medicate, all fixed now you'll be glad to hear. The dribble comment was actually just a little jest, if you keep reading the CR forum for a while you'll see why.

Hi Stu, knew you were talking about pizza...its like the Nation newspaper, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story :lol:

Kd, did you happen to notice the price of air con units in Makro? The reason I'm asking is that last time I was over we went and had a look because, in some thread somewhere on TV there was a post about how much cheaper they were there, but when I looked they were priced 'same same' as our local air con shop in Chiang Saen. Maybe they have special offers sometimes, not sure. If they do have specials from time to time, I might grab one when the price is low.

Cheers,

Biff

No, I didn't even see any. I wasn't looking but still didn't notice any.

Edited by kandahar

Hi Stu, knew you were talking about pizza...its like the Nation newspaper, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story :lol:

No honestly I wasn't, I hate pizza (and beer).

Edited by skybluestu

Cheers,

Biff

No, I didn't even see any. I wasn't looking but still didn't notice any.

Ah ok mate, have a look for me next time you're in there? :)

I like the bakery in Makro especially almond slices and danish pastry. I go for the 2 lit red wine at 4.35 - plonk really but drinkable. Just downed a couple of big glasses so have a bit of difficulty posting this.

Tried their so called Cumberland sausages - Yuk mai alloh!

Mrs Lman sells at the Thurs market at Bandu and I often pop into Makro for a few items. Check-outs 1 and 2 are for 10 items or less and even yesterday - mum's day holiday the place was seething with people but I got though the quick check-out very quickly.

I like the bakery in Makro especially almond slices and danish pastry. I go for the 2 lit red wine at 4.35 - plonk really but drinkable. Just downed a couple of big glasses so have a bit of difficulty posting this.

Mrs Lman sells at the Thurs market at Bandu and I often pop into Makro for a few items. Check-outs 1 and 2 are for 10 items or less and even yesterday - mum's day holiday the place was seething with people but I got though the quick check-out very quickly.

I don't speak Thai. What is Yuk mai alloh? I bought Cumberland thin today. Never had them before. Just wanted to try my luck.

I don't speak Thai. What is Yuk mai alloh? I bought Cumberland thin today. Never had them before. Just wanted to try my luck.

not delicious