Dog Meat Trader?

toybits

On the way to Tessaban 6, I saw this pickup truck that had a sort of covered cargo carrier. What caught my attention was a dogs tail and paw sticking out through the gap. I took a closer look and noticed several dogs inside. Took out my camera and took photos. I must have spooked the driver because as it was heading from the airport toward this superhighway, it stopped near that beer garden (Chom Duean). I believe these dogs were destined to become dog-meat.

post-21351-008781600 1281935126_thumb.jp

They probably come from Sakon Nakhon, the people in that province is known to eat dogs.

We were visiting my brother in law in Nong Bua Lam Phu when a pickup slowly drove through the village with at least 20 dogs on it.

- Oh, they are selling dogs, I asked my BIL.

- No, buying.

- Why ?

- For eating!

Must be a good place to live if you do not like streetdogs.

:bah::o:bah:

It looked as if these dogs were on their way to the Burmese border or to Chiang Saen...

They probably come from Sakon Nakhon, the people in that province is known to eat dogs.

We were visiting my brother in law in Nong Bua Lam Phu when a pickup slowly drove through the village with at least 20 dogs on it.

- Oh, they are selling dogs, I asked my BIL.

- No, buying.

- Why ?

- For eating!

Must be a good place to live if you do not like streetdogs.

:bah::o:bah:

I read a story on this somewhere. Apparently they catch stay dogs and export to Cambodia (or Laos - don't remember which.)

Granted, poor Thais do eat dog meat, but it's not really their things which is why it is primarily for export.

Snapped this pic when out cycling on Saturday - the 'dog man' collects stray dogs, and takes away unwanted ones in exchange for plasticware (see bowls etc on top of truck). They are a bloody curse around here, disappointed I was 15km from home when I saw him or I'd have been busily helping him round some up.

I was here last year, first visit of 2010 I asked where all the dogs from last time had gone. Told they all got sick and died. Some time after found out the reality . . . 'dog man' had been around. Am told they are for Cambodian workers - either this or their side of the border which isn't far away from us (Sa Kaeo province).

I doubt its illegal. My Neigbours ate one of my dogs after it ran under the school minibus which was travelling at slow speed. he cooked it first I understand, washed down with lots of Low Kow.

We had a pack of dogs which killed a Goose and about 20 chickens at our place a couple of months ago. The Dogs had to go. The woman could get 100 baht or was it 200 , for each dog and give us the money , we told her to keep the money.

The dogs went either to the bucket man or the neighbours.

Dogs are on a par with Chickens in most places.

Snapped this pic when out cycling on Saturday - the 'dog man' collects stray dogs, and takes away unwanted ones in exchange for plasticware (see bowls etc on top of truck). They are a bloody curse around here, disappointed I was 15km from home when I saw him or I'd have been busily helping him round some up.

I was here last year, first visit of 2010 I asked where all the dogs from last time had gone. Told they all got sick and died. Some time after found out the reality . . . 'dog man' had been around. Am told they are for Cambodian workers - either this or their side of the border which isn't far away from us (Sa Kaeo province).

My wife said not fair...only one bucket for the dog!

They eat dogs in the Prachinburi region too (just on the other side of the hills, south of Korat), but people who does are usually kind of lo-so without many other choices....i guess if they all need to put Lao Khao on the meat or lots of chillies it must taste terrible even for them, did any westerner tried this local "delicacy"? i have also seen croc meat in many big supermarkets like Big C or Villa Market (or was it Friendship supermarket? maybe both).

They eat dogs in the Prachinburi region too (just on the other side of the hills, south of Korat), but people who does are usually kind of lo-so without many other choices....i guess if they all need to put Lao Khao on the meat or lots of chillies it must taste terrible even for them, did any westerner tried this local "delicacy"? i have also seen croc meat in many big supermarkets like Big C or Villa Market (or was it Friendship supermarket? maybe both).

I believe I tried it once but couldn't eat it. Tough as Old Boots. I suspect a few brits have had it unknowingly in Takeaways :bah:

Cooked in a Crock Pot slowly, I'm sure its edible

If you see him again send him to my village.

I like dogs but I'm sick of cleaning up dog sh*t and tidying up where they tear open all the rubbish bags left out for the binmen.

The dog owners should also be rounded up and sent to Cambodia or wherever.

If you see him again send him to my village.

I like dogs but I'm sick of cleaning up dog sh*t and tidying up where they tear open all the rubbish bags left out for the binmen.

The dog owners should also be rounded up and sent to Cambodia or wherever.

Sounds like your problem is your in a High-So Area.

'Lo-So' villages dont feed the Dogs, therefore the sh*t is negligible. No rubbish bags either, they just throw all the garbage next to my farm on the way out to their own farms. Simple innit. Out of sight, out of mind ; or maybe blown out of their minds

I have to go now, I've just heard a comotion and it appears some dog owners are trying to break my wall and the village water pipe with their Etan , trying to get away from the 'Low Kow' fumes that have temporary overcome them I suspect :)

This morning I received by post from a friend in Nongkai (this to keep it on-topic) the movie

Soylent Green, directed by Richard Fleischer (the name says it all for those in command of the

German language) featuring among others Charlton Heston and launched in 1973.

It's about people of New York eating human meat (or should I say flesh?).

I saw it in a cinema in Berlin and I still remember Charlton Heston shouting "soylent green

ist Menschenfleisch!" And that without American accent! I admired him for that.

I didn't see it for many years and am looking forward to see it again.

It will probably a disappointment, but anyhow, I won't bother you with that.

One of the members of this honorable forum (exceptions confirm the rule) once passed

a pick up loaded with dogs on their way to Laos (though they didn't have any voice concerning

their destination). He stopped the truck, made a couple of calls and most of the dogs

live still today. He doesn't even like dogs 555 !

I don't like them too much either. To eat that means. They taste a little bit liverish, though

they have a chewability degree that certainly isn't less than that of cows or pigs.

Thai people call it hot meat sometimes. It makes you 'hot' inside, but I didn't notice myself.

They, our Thai friends, at least some of them also say that dogs will feel that you have been

eating dog meat and show less friendliness towards you, yes, even stronger: try to avoid you.

But if, and that is luckywise mostly the case, there is another option, then I prefer to chew

on pieces of pigs and cows. Also with chicken I have no problems. Not to talk about fish.

Talking about that: I prefer fish-sticks as there are no bones in them. That was before I got

addicted to rolmops and herring.

(do yourself a pleasure and try the noodle soup 'kweetiau pla sen jai or whatever sen' at the famous

duck restaurant a hundred meters up the Sankong Noi from Den Ha, left side: Superb, but for the

cheap charlies among you I have to add that it is not less than 30 Baht!).

What I like about meatballs is that they don't have animal shape though I know they are made

of animal flesh, meat or whatever you wish to call it. They are round like any other ball, they don't

have ears or noses, they don't smile, they don't look at you. In another life they might be apples.

Or re-appear on Wimbledon's centre court, yellow that means (if from Thai origine).

Also the Chinese kitchen tends to be willing to hide what we eat: No knives and forks on the table.

The pieces of meat are cut into small chewable pieces already in the kitchen and this make you unaware

that you are eating pieces of animal. The British ramroasting is of course a remnant of an old past.

Not to talk about a pigs head on the table with an apple in its mouth.

That's why shopsticks will do eating Chinese. They have been ahead of us for a long time.

To discuss if they would still be would be completely of topic.

(For those interesting in eating habits as signs of civilisation development: Norbert Elias! To be more

precise his 600 pages 'Ueber den prozess ...' 1938, part I and part II)

No wonder that when the Chinese authorities tried to force knives and forks on the people they reacted

by saying that they didn't want to eat with the sword and hayfork.

But what I really want to know is where Choedsack and Cooper shoot their "Chang, a drama in the wilderness"

in what must have been 1925 and -26. Northern Thailand (Siam) yes, but I don't know where.

I heard about Nan. Does anybody know more about this?

I got the version that was aired by Swiss television about ten years ago.

Am I right Dr. Pong (if you still might visit this slowly but sure chatboxery forum)?

I still look forward to the tour with your speedboat. Long time ago it was that I was dobbering around

on the canals of Amsterdam)

I got it from you and distributed it among the National Museum Volunteers in Bangkok, so

it must have found its way over the world., Nowadays you can order it or download it at many

sites. It remains amazing to look back more than 80 years here in Thailand (Siam at the time).

As I know that your French is excellent I offer you Le (La?) Grand Bouffe in French.

Want it, send me an e-mail and you got it.

Sorry to all the readers of this forum to be off topic on essential parts of this posting, but

things aren't anymore as they were before 555!

Limbo :yohan:

The first 9 minutes of what might have been and still is one of the oldest films shot in Siam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ZqP6mw8p4

Limbo its nice to have you back from your honeymoon.

Your the man, or should I say the 'Mutts nuts' to keep it on topic.

I'll read your post fully tomorrow when I have more time.

Your not suggesting that you prefer the non-chat good ol' days are you.

This morning I received by post from a friend in Nongkai (this to keep it on-topic) the movie

Soylent Green, directed by Richard Fleischer (the name says it all for those in command of the

German language) featuring among others Charlton Heston and launched in 1973.

It's about people of New York eating human meat (or should I say flesh?).

I saw it in a cinema in Berlin and I still remember Charlton Heston shouting "soylent green

ist Menschenfleisch!" And that without American accent! I admired him for that.

I didn't see it for many years and am looking forward to see it again.

It will probably a disappointment, but anyhow, I won't bother you with that.

One of the members of this honorable forum (exceptions confirm the rule) once passed

a pick up loaded with dogs on their way to Laos (though they didn't have any voice concerning

their destination). He stopped the truck, made a couple of calls and most of the dogs

live still today. He doesn't even like dogs 555 !

I don't like them too much either. To eat that means. They taste a little bit liverish, though

they have a chewability degree that certainly isn't less than that of cows or pigs.

Thai people call it hot meat sometimes. It makes you 'hot' inside, but I didn't notice myself.

They, our Thai friends, at least some of them also say that dogs will feel that you have been

eating dog meat and show less friendliness towards you, yes, even stronger: try to avoid you.

But if, and that is luckywise mostly the case, there is another option, then I prefer to chew

on pieces of pigs and cows. Also with chicken I have no problems. Not to talk about fish.

Talking about that: I prefer fish-sticks as there are no bones in them. That was before I got

addicted to rolmops and herring.

(do yourself a pleasure and try the noodle soup 'kweetiau pla sen jai or whatever sen' at the famous

duck restaurant a hundred meters up the Sankong Noi from Den Ha, left side: Superb, but for the

cheap charlies among you I have to add that it is not less than 30 Baht!).

What I like about meatballs is that they don't have animal shape though I know they are made

of animal flesh, meat or whatever you wish to call it. They are round like any other ball, they don't

have ears or noses, they don't smile, they don't look at you. In another life they might be apples.

Or re-appear on Wimbledon's centre court, yellow that means (if from Thai origine).

Also the Chinese kitchen tends to be willing to hide what we eat: No knives and forks on the table.

The pieces of meat are cut into small chewable pieces already in the kitchen and this make you unaware

that you are eating pieces of animal. The British ramroasting is of course a remnant of an old past.

Not to talk about a pigs head on the table with an apple in its mouth.

That's why shopsticks will do eating Chinese. They have been ahead of us for a long time.

To discuss if they would still be would be completely of topic.

(For those interesting in eating habits as signs of civilisation development: Norbert Elias! To be more

precise his 600 pages 'Ueber den prozess ...' 1938, part I and part II)

No wonder that when the Chinese authorities tried to force knives and forks on the people they reacted

by saying that they didn't want to eat with the sword and hayfork.

But what I really want to know is where Choedsack and Cooper shoot their "Chang, a drama in the wilderness"

in what must have been 1925 and -26. Northern Thailand (Siam) yes, but I don't know where.

I heard about Nan. Does anybody know more about this?

I got the version that was aired by Swiss television about ten years ago.

Am I right Dr. Pong (if you still might visit this slowly but sure chatboxery forum)?

I still look forward to the tour with your speedboat. Long time ago it was that I was dobbering around

on the canals of Amsterdam)

I got it from you and distributed it among the National Museum Volunteers in Bangkok, so

it must have found its way over the world., Nowadays you can order it or download it at many

sites. It remains amazing to look back more than 80 years here in Thailand (Siam at the time).

As I know that your French is excellent I offer you Le (La?) Grand Bouffe in French.

Want it, send me an e-mail and you got it.

Sorry to all the readers of this forum to be off topic on essential parts of this posting, but

things aren't anymore as they were before 555!

The first 9 minutes of what might have been and still is one of the oldest films shot in Siam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ZqP6mw8p4

Thanks for sharing vid'very interesting and good quality.

Thanks Jubby!

Simply because there is a need for it, it should change.

So it is good that chatting becomes part of this forum as it simply

belongs to its members (but please with respect to those who visit it).

And the one member is not better than the other, though there are always

those who will disagree. Some people think they are better than others,

like in the old communist countries where many thought that they were more

equal than others to justify their wealth. That will remain, that's human.

That's why forums have moderators, to see that they with their personal

mental complexity don't disencourage others from participating and contributing.

It's a pity that now every thread seems to be used to start a chat.

I know, that many of the newcomers in Chiangrai are looking for a way

to manifest themselves. To show their muscles so to say. Don't do, most of us

respect you the way you are!

Show your inbetween ear masculinity by showing respect to others.

Stop with it, dear friends, don't underestimate those who were here a little bit

longer than you. They are not better than you but also not worse.

Respect newcomers, who might seem naive in your eyes and remember that you was one

of them yourselves. Would you like to be ridiculized? Don't do it to others!

The difference with before is that this forum was an instrument for networking, so

most of its contributors knew each other personally. Many projects originated in

this forum and brought people together.

Now it seems sometime as if this forum in the yeses of some is a vehicle for egotrips,

creates animosity, as if this forum is an instrument for foreigners to turn their back

to Thai society and this while I meant it to be instrumental in a better understanding

of Thai society, yes, even in participating in it.

So my request to everybody is to chat as much as you wish, but respect others.

Why is it necessary to use rude language and to confront others?

Thai people cultivated a way of respecting each other that we could learn of.

For many of us the Thai culture is the reason that we love this country and chose

to live in it.

Out of respect for the country we live in we should honour its principles.

And one of these principles is based on respect: don't confront!

Be positive! It's unbelievable how much personal frustration, anger, hate,

lack of satisfaction and general negativism has passed in the columns of this forum lately.

I know that psychotherapy is not available in Chiangrai. I wrote about the alternatives

in another posting that was removed on the request of one of our fellow members.

It is not clear if he wanted to reserve the information for himself alone, but it

is a pity that this information didn't become availabele to the other members of this forum.

We should share and not be selfish.

Trust!

Thanks Jubby!

Simply because there is a need for it, it should change.

So it is good that chatting becomes part of this forum as it simply

belongs to its members (but please with respect to those who visit it).

And the one member is not better than the other, though there are always

those who will disagree. Some people think they are better than others,

like in the old communist countries where many thought that they were more

equal than others to justify their wealth. That will remain, that's human.

That's why forums have moderators, to see that they with their personal

mental complexity don't disencourage others from participating and contributing.

It's a pity that now every thread seems to be used to start a chat.

I know, that many of the newcomers in Chiangrai are looking for a way

to manifest themselves. To show their muscles so to say. Don't do, most of us

respect you the way you are!

Show your inbetween ear masculinity by showing respect to others.

Stop with it, dear friends, don't underestimate those who were here a little bit

longer than you. They are not better than you but also not worse.

Respect newcomers, who might seem naive in your eyes and remember that you was one

of them yourselves. Would you like to be ridiculized? Don't do it to others!

The difference with before is that this forum was an instrument for networking, so

most of its contributors knew each other personally. Many projects originated in

this forum and brought people together.

Now it seems sometime as if this forum in the yeses of some is a vehicle for egotrips,

creates animosity, as if this forum is an instrument for foreigners to turn their back

to Thai society and this while I meant it to be instrumental in a better understanding

of Thai society, yes, even in participating in it.

So my request to everybody is to chat as much as you wish, but respect others.

Why is it necessary to use rude language and to confront others?

Thai people cultivated a way of respecting each other that we could learn of.

For many of us the Thai culture is the reason that we love this country and chose

to live in it.

Out of respect for the country we live in we should honour its principles.

And one of these principles is based on respect: don't confront!

Be positive! It's unbelievable how much personal frustration, anger, hate,

lack of satisfaction and general negativism has passed in the columns of this forum lately.

I know that psychotherapy is not available in Chiangrai. I wrote about the alternatives

in another posting that was removed on the request of one of our fellow members.

It is not clear if he wanted to reserve the information for himself alone, but it

is a pity that this information didn't become availabele to the other members of this forum.

We should share and not be selfish.

Trust!

Well I guess theres something in there for everyone.

I'm not sure any of us really need any psychotherapy, I personally am just having a laugh, yeah theres a lot of dribble but I do try to make positive contributions when I can.

Yeah, Thai Culture . Its fascinating to say the least.

The Little bit of 'Thai culture' that has just removed his farm vehicle from the ditch I dug to protect my wall will never cease to amaze me , but ofcourse I'm only jesting. They were Indeed , frantically trying to get away to avoid confrontation and I shouldn't have used hot words on them.

But Surely we are allowed to comment on the negatives as well as the positives , afterall they are there. And they can be entertaining or so I'm told.

Seriously though, Maybe we should just have a Chat or dribble thread and try to keep all the others more serious.

I can certainly stop my dribble, I started using my dribble when the forum was particularly Quiet, we could go for days without a single post. So I thought I'd try to offer some entertainment to get a few more people posting. I've failed miserably, but such is life. I know some people prefer a quieter forum , but I cant see the point of having a forum thats quiet. Maybe I'm wrong , It wont be the first time.

What happened at the Football on Saturday ?

Maybe we should just have a Chat or dribble thread and try to keep all the others more serious.

What happened at the Football on Saturday ?

I had high expectations of your psychotherapy thread! It could have become a second

home for 'those' among us.

Many people do want to write funny one-liners. For some it is even the limit.

Some are always funny, some are sometimes funny and some simply never are:

Not everybody would fit in Monty Python's Circus.

And an exhorbitant drive for self manisfestation isn't a good start either.

On the contrary!

I think it is very simple: my rule has always been that ten percent off-topic postings

keeps the forum oiled.

But somebody who posts wants to be taken seriously so I believe that, unless you are

blessed with the talents of a Tommy Cooper, it is a matter of politeness to react on-topic

on the subject of somebody else.

Also concerning the forum as a whole I would opt for less then ten percent off-topic.

It is and remains a Chiangrai Forum.

Those who think that 'networking' never has been part of this forum are seemingly

not aware of all the collective activities of foreigners here (and foreigners here together

with Thai) that originated in this forum or were facilitated by it.

We are loosing too many members!

Please all, try to stay on-topic and don't use offensive language.

The football was great! 555!

Pretty good advice from an older CR forum hand. That almost felt like the gentle touch of a moderator. It has been a while since we had anything deleted or closed here. I hope it lasts.

Edit: But, of course, in the wrong thread. That's just how we are here in CR.

Edited by kandahar

Yeah makes sense Limbo.

maybe you can tell us more about the Football in the designated thread. Results would be nice, accompanied by some photo's maybe .

Something about the Chang video would be interesting to me also, maybe we have a suitable thread for that too.

I'm not sure I understand the 'Self manifestation' bit, I certainly didnt just manifest, I've been here in my current manifestation for about 45 years as have most of us I suspect. maybe you can explain it further over a cool german Beer sometime.

Yeah, we've lost two many members, I suspected we almost lost you at one point.

Edited by jubby

At this point it almost seems off topic to talk about dogs. ;) I for one would find it quite difficult to eat dogs. Dogs are pets, or even family members in our case, and as such will remain off the menu.

Seems to me things are looking up on our little forum. More new members. More interaction and participation. Less offensive language than in the glorious past, under different management. Less pettiness, less groveling, less ostentatious rules and an ever expanding understanding of what this forum can be. We have a great moderator who doesn't try to run this place like is own little fiefdom and only gets involved when absolutely necessary.

Some have difficulty adjusting to changing times but hopefully even the most reluctant and antipathetic among us, will come around to a more inclusive and tolerant way of thinking and acting with time. I'll say it again, there is room for everyone here, especially now that we finally seem to be growing and broadening our horizons. :)

Personally, off topic and chats causes me not one iota of discomfort as long as it done in good sprits. Personal attacks and negativity, now that is another issue. Guess I am too much of a newbie to understand the issue. I guess I have a low level of irritability.

At this point it almost seems off topic to talk about dogs. ;) I for one would find it quite difficult to eat dogs. Dogs are pets, or even family members in our case, and as such will remain off the menu.

Seems to me things are looking up on our little forum. More new members. More interaction and participation. Less offensive language than in the glorious past, under different management. Less pettiness, less groveling, less ostentatious rules and an ever expanding understanding of what this forum can be. We have a great moderator who doesn't try to run this place like is own little fiefdom and only gets involved when absolutely necessary.

Some have difficulty adjusting to changing times but hopefully even the most reluctant and antipathetic among us, will come around to a more inclusive and tolerant way of thinking and acting with time. I'll say it again, there is room for everyone here, especially now that we finally seem to be growing and broadening our horizons. :)

Wow, I agree with you too. Again.... Its not so much painful now, more a mild ache. I guess my current manifestation is destined to remain on that Fence . It would be nice to see you two agreeing on a few things too.

Your both very intelligent Guys and have a lot of things to contribute here, I'm sure.

Hey, dont get me wrong I'm not asking either of you to sit on a fence or anything :)

Wow, I agree with you too. Again.... Its not so much painful now, more a mild ache. I guess my current manifestation is destined to remain on that Fence . It would be nice to see you two agreeing on a few things too.

Your both very intelligent Guys and have a lot of things to contribute here, I'm sure.

Hey, don't get me wrong I'm not asking either of you to sit on a fence or anything :)

That fence sitting thing sounds painful to me. You will have to show me how it is done. ;) As for the other stuff, I wouldn't hold my breath.