Homage To Foreign English Teachers

Limbo

I know an English teacher who is teaching young Thai children to speak English and this not without an Irish accent :o .

He has 22 teaching hours a week which leaves him not much time for preparation and development of learning materials.

Many (free?) Saturdays his presence is required at school meetings. His task then is to sit and to act as if he is listening (sitting straight on an uneasy chair with wide open eyes, suggesting attention). And he actually might be listening; To the sound of a language he doesn't understand.

And this might go on for some hours.

The school has about a thousand students (prathom and matayom suksa) and he teaches them all, one hour a week. So he teaches 22 different classes a week.

And the average number of students in his classes is, as the mathematical geniuses among us already figured out, between 45 and 50!

The class rooms have shutters which are open to let in air and light. They also let in the sound of the traffic outside. The school is close to the super-highway. A little bit noisy!

Some of his colleagues in the adjacent class rooms solve this acoustical problem by using a microphone, connected to an amplifier which in its turn is connected to loudspeakers. A little bit noisy!

Teachers have the right to skip classes to go to the bank, to the doctor and other destinations. The children, sorry students, hang around in their class room or on the corridor which connects the class rooms. A little bit noisy!

But he manages and the kids love him.

My respect!

Limbo

About salaries for foreign teachers in Chiangrai area....

These are my rough estimates for full time teachers:

Private pre-school and primary schools (Montessori and AMEC) about 20.000 to 25.000 Baht a month.

Government primary and secundary schools (Damrong, Sammakhee and the Catholic Santi) about 12.000 Baht a month.

University teachers (Rajabhat and Mae Fah Luang) about 25.000 Baht a month.

As far as my information goes, teachers who work hourly-paid (NAVA, ECC and AUA) will receive about 200 to 300 Baht an hour. Their monthly income is however not always predictable.

Thai teachers earn less. Normally they start with 7.300 Baht and this salary is raised by about 500 Baht each year. Their secundary conditions offer some advantages foreign teachers mostly don't have.

Thai university teachers start with about 12.000 Baht a month.

(please, correct me where I am wrong)

The public esteem for teachers is generally high in Thailand, at least among the Thai population.

Let's join them in this!

Limbo (voluntered four years in a village school, but only one afternoon a week)

I also teach 22 different classes a week. I am the first foreign teacher they have ever had in their 40 year history. I have to make my own lessons. My salary is 23,000. I am 25 so I am satisfied. After college in America during the recession, it took me 8 months to get a minimum wage job. Now I have to turn down offers.

are you in CR Limbo? I teach in Phayao but come to CR whenever I can. In the P, being the only farang can be draining since everybody feels obligated to speak to you and say the only things they know in English.

I used to teach at Mae Fah Luang. DON'T GO THERE!!!! When they gave me the fired with explanation scheme, I was actually happy. I started there 11 months ago and only about two teachers that came before me are still there.

:D:D:D

yep, crying now... Probably cause your friend is getting more than I was, working less, and generally living a very cushy life... ( I was a teacher in Trat and Kanchanburi in the past)

:D

All the same shit, different school... Gave up free time, gave up holidays, etc..etc..

It was a wonderful character building experience for me, as well as for my lovely kids... Don`t need no pat on the back for doing something I CHOOSE to do.

It`s all about life. Live it.

:D:o

:D  :D  :D

yep, crying now... Probably cause your friend is getting more than I was, working less, and generally living a very cushy life... ( I was a teacher in Trat and Kanchanburi in the past)

All the same shit, different school... Gave up free time, gave up holidays, etc..etc..

It was a wonderful character building experience for me, as well as for my lovely kids... Don`t need no pat on the back for doing something I CHOOSE to do.

:D    :o

Guys

I am looking at possibly moving to CR and teaching in about 18 months time

Any advice on the DO's and DON'Ts

tung tsz

Don't expect it to be easy, do expect a lot of headaches, Don't let it get to you, do enjoy every moment of it that you can. It can be great fun at times, i have 760 students a week, and there are times when you wish to hug the little buggers and times i wish to throw them out the window, i have resisted both options to date! :o

Don't expect it to be easy, do expect a lot of headaches, Don't let it get to you, do enjoy every moment of it that you can.  It can be great fun at times, i have 760 students a week, and there are times when you wish to hug the little buggers and times i wish to throw them out the window, i have resisted both options to date!  :D

LOL :D

Thanks Boatabike

Been there before in Farangland but as we all know the

good usually outweighs the bad in teaching

Only the management are the unknown factor :o

Any schools to be avoided ?

tung tsz

For three years I had a yearvisa based on the fact that I was volunteering in a government school (in a village about seventeen kilometers from Chiangrai Town, matayom 1,2 and 3).

With a letter of the headmaster to the Provincial Educational Office for their letter, then to the Office of the Governor for his letter and with the last one to the Immigration Office in Maesai. Full co-operation from all sides.

But I worked only one afternoon a week and at a certain moment it was found out that the regulations required that you had to volunteer at least fifteen hours a week to qualify for a visa.

This was about three or four years ago. Maybe some changes occured in the mean time.

You could go to the Soh Paoh Tjoh (spelling? pronunciation?), the provincial educational office at the corner of the Sanambin Road and the Sankongluang Road. If you take the entrance at the Sanambin Road the main building at the left, first floor to the left.

It might be a good suggestion to ask if you could divide your hours eventually over three smaller schools and concentrate on pronunciation and conversation. Some of the hours should be used for preparation of materials you could use at more than one school.

Good luck!

Limbo

Mr. Kayo wrote.

OK Mr. Kayo, then you get the pat on the back for choosing to do what you did.

:o

Limbo