Thailand Blocks Access To WikiLeaks Website

webfact

Any further discussion of bypassing government blocks will result in formal warning and/or posting rights suspension. Also, any links to specific pages on wikileaks that are forbidden subjects in Thailand will result in suspension. Any negative or inappropriate comments on the Royal family will result in suspension or banned.

Last warning.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is part of what Thai authorities don`t want us to see at Wikileaks, what is wrong with the world?

It`s an absolute disgrace. This should be available for anyone.

if you read through the other posts, they are not blocking it because of this.....

Yes, Boater, I know. This is a thai issue. But the result will be the same if the site is fully blocked. Stories like these will be undiscovered here in Thailand, and that`s a shame.

Wikileaks does a very good job, and should not be blocked by any country in the world, for any reason.

Same file that was doing the rounds at least 3 years ago..

I remember some TG's watching at at my villa looking around over their shoulders as they watched it.. One said "whoever make this video.. He die now".. Funny seeing how freaked out by it they were.

Thailand never claimed to have real freedom of speech or any other freedom for that matter. People forget that this is essentially a feudal country with traditions and laws that are feudal. I'm not criticizing it because the people seemed satisfied to live under such circumstances.

The govt thinks it has the right to block this site - whether or not they are so stupid that you can get round it is irrelevant - they are basically applying censorship - totally unacceptable -

Are they? It seems most people on here are having no problem accessing it without any special maneuvers.

they are censoring about 20,000 web sites so far and there is no place for behaviour like this in a functioning democracy.

Just the sort of stuff I was just posting about.

A few posts back on Post # 19, the claim was 110,000 websites were. :ermm:

The wild claims are all over the place.

The distortions seem as reckless as the blocking itself. <_<

what an utterly facile comment!

The fact is that whether it's 20k, 110k or one it is censorship and symptomatic of this governments ( and previous) attitude to civil rights - if you consider this OK then you are as despicable as all the people down through history who think they can suppress others for their own advantage.

I never said I considered blocking was OK (more distortions?) :rolleyes:

I'm simply in search of accurate reporting of it, with an example of this thread's claims, which seem overwhelmingly inaccurate based upon the majority of responders.

The only thing that is apparently being suppressed is accuracy and the truth that emerges from that. <_<

Yep still works in Issan no problem with AIS but then agian i might be using one of the bypass servers i use for all my ban dodging access to all things unsavoury! thing about governments and banning any material is just like telling criminals they cant have access to weapons and such its going to happen and the tighter you squeeze your hand the more people will slip thru your fingers and eventually there will be nothing inside your hand !! i think the whole world has had enough of being dictated too by anything or anyone, time will show what the out come will be and its not going to be pretty, the words collision course come to mind.

This is quite old news.

They have been blocking the site for about 2-3 weeks. I can't say exactly, although I am a regular user of the site and was unable to get in about 3 weeks ago. The CENSORED gvmt logo came up

This country has so many good things going for it. I just pray that it can all get sorted out.

Eddy

Edited by pauleddy

It's still working. I conclude the following:

Either:

1) The government misspelled the website upon entering the site name to the 'block' list, or

2) The government left it open to track which naughty Thai-based individuals went to the site thereby blacklisting all of us for future use or blackmail.

Take your pick.

It's still working. I conclude the following:

Either:

1) The government misspelled the website upon entering the site name to the 'block' list, or

2) The government left it open to track which naughty Thai-based individuals went to the site thereby blacklisting all of us for future use or blackmail.

Take your pick.

I'd go for the first option. The second one implies some sort of intelligence, not normally associated with governments anywhere.

they are censoring about 20,000 web sites so far and there is no place for behaviour like this in a functioning democracy.

If you read the wall street journal article, the thai government freely admits to blocking 40,000 sites to date. Outside groups put it higher, up to 110,000.

.org is blocked but .com is not blocked.

Both .org and .com are not blocked here.

Ha, org is blocked but not com here.

Needless to say, the Powers That Be, if they read this, will soon oblige us with a shutdown of .com

yes, if you write wikileaks.org it is blocked. Try writing the w's in front and it is not.

If you read the wall street journal article, the thai government freely admits to blocking 40,000 sites to date. Outside groups put it higher, up to 110,000.

Is there a published list of the 110,000 or the 40,000?

or because there are videos there of some pretty powerful people in Thailand in some compromising positions.

Yeah, probably the pooch's party. Funny, I've never looked at wikileaks.org before so when it said it was blocked I checked. It doesn't seem to be.

I have a TOT DSL connection around Udon Thani and could not read wikileaks two weeks ago.

Anyway, I am in Farangland for a few days more, what do I need to look up and report for your censored people?

I just read about this on the news. Makes you wonder if news of Thailand blocking Wikileaks hits CNN and other websites ..and them posting the reason behind it. What an embarrassment for Thailand this will be. What every Thai already knew, now everybody around the world will know too.

Is there a published list of the 110,000 or the 40,000?

Because you think there is someone out there in some government office who knows how many they blocked???

I don't know. Do you? But even government number aside, do these "outside groups" know which ones are blocked to constitute their 110,000 figure or are they just pulling that number out of thin air?

Edited by Buchholz

maybe there's something in 88.80.17.21 (ip address)

Slack work for the powers that be because they've done a half job as usual.:D

It's not all of Wikileaks that they are trying to ban. Just a particular article.

If you go to any of the mirror sites, you can probably still read a lot of articles ... but probably not the "offending" ones.