Thailand Blocks Access To WikiLeaks Website

webfact

I never said I considered blocking was OK (more distortions?) :rolleyes:

I'm simply in search of accurate reporting of it, with an example of this thread's claims, which seem overwhelmingly inaccurate based upon the majority of responders.

The only thing that is apparently being suppressed is accuracy and the truth that emerges from that. <_<

As I mentioned a few posts before this one:

Two weeks ago I could not access Wikileaks from Udon Thani on TOT DSL with the usual Thai police screen you get when you're too curious for the Thai authorities, I forgot about wikileaks since, having other issues on my mind...

Is that accurate enough?

And BTW, That incriminating Thai dog birthay video was accessible 3 years ago in Thailand, if this video is the motive :whistling:

And you'll have to wait until next monday when I get back home and try to access wikileaks again...

Edited by tartempion

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read about this on the news. Makes you wonder if news of Thailand blocking Wikileaks hits CNN and other websites ..and them posting the reason behind it. What an embarrassment for Thailand this will be. What every Thai already knew, now everybody around the world will know too.

The embarrassment is that a website that is supposedly blocked, isn't.

I never said I considered blocking was OK (more distortions?) :rolleyes:

I'm simply in search of accurate reporting of it, with an example of this thread's claims, which seem overwhelmingly inaccurate based upon the majority of responders.

The only thing that is apparently being suppressed is accuracy and the truth that emerges from that. <_<

As I mentioned a few posts before this one:

Two weeks ago I could not access Wikileaks from Udon Thani on TOT DSL with the usual Thai police screen you get when you're too curious for the Thai authorities, I forgot about wikileaks since, having other issues on my mind...

Is that accurate enough?

Yes, one user on one ISP in the city of Udon Thani had wikileaks blocked two weeks ago. Thank you for your input.

How do you know in Thailand who does what.

For your old-timers. Remember when Thailand had the monkey face PM and Police Captain Chalerm (and his 2-ganster boys) set up on his own initiative the Media control room with policemen watching TV screens and dragging reporters / announcer in to police HQ.

As Bernard Trink always says, "I don't give a hoot". TIT.

they are censoring about 20,000 web sites so far and there is no place for behaviour like this in a functioning democracy.

Just the sort of stuff I was just posting about.

A few posts back on Post # 19, the claim was 110,000 websites were. :ermm:

The wild claims are all over the place.

The distortions seem as reckless as the blocking itself. <_<

If you read the wall street journal article, the thai government freely admits to blocking 40,000 sites to date. Outside groups put it higher, up to 110,000.

Is there a published list of the 110,000 or the 40,000?

The lists are 'secret' and previous leaks has not been seen with kind eyes. FACT and WikiLeaks (!) published the lists when they got a hold of them before.

Ok, all very interesting...WIkiLeaks is absolutely HUGE here in 'the west' right now (i am temporarily back in the UK)

because there has never EVER been anything on the scale of the normally top secret military information it has made

available to the public - possibly, saying no more than that - possible endangering lives on the front line. However,

it's democratic / anarchistic spirit is fierce - it will take some stopping that's for sure. Its leader is of the 'mad genius'

type ! (but hugely gifted and charismatic). Anyway, related to the precise topic here - i viewed the blocked video containing

a cuddly dog and some aristocratic cherries in a garden-setting, and tried to send a link back tto T'land for a 'friend' to

view, and guess what ? - it got blocked on the way INTO T'land - if that's not heavy snooping i don't know what is. It

is not viewable on a laptop up country in Isaan sent from East Anglia, UK, where it is, of course.

To re-peat myself so it doesn't get lost:

It is not our imagination that WikiLeaks is on a blocking list going out to the ISPs ordering them to block it [or face regulations / loss of license], hence why the campaign for the government to lift it has been going on for a few weeks on Twitter etc.

Many users have had issues reaching the site(s)and daily checks is being done across several locations and ISPs. Enforcement is spotty, yes, and sometimes glitchy - as the actual blocking is implemented on ISP level on instructions from MICT - but to try to claim that there is no order to block is just silly.

What happened today is that a campaign finally paid off as an announcement from a spokesperson lent it enough credence to report in a bigger news-agency.

@TAWP: Maybe, maybe not. What we have is the uncredited report citing an unnamed spokesperson, and spotty blocks that are varying from ISP to ISP, from location to location, and probably also depending on moon phases.

I remember sites pertaining to cycling, gardening, sports and whatever having been "blocked" before in similr matters ... I am not convinced.

@TAWP: Maybe, maybe not. What we have is the uncredited report citing an unnamed spokesperson, and spotty blocks that are varying from ISP to ISP, from location to location, and probably also depending on moon phases.

I remember sites pertaining to cycling, gardening, sports and whatever having been "blocked" before in similr matters ... I am not convinced.

The proof is in the pudding.

Question: Can we show that several different individuals, in different parts of the nation using different ISPs, are redirected to the 'block' page when trying to access WikiLeaks (front-page or articles)?

Answer: Yes.

The reason that not everyone is isn't proof of the absence of a block, only of the status of our ISPs.

I have received some reports on twitter that the block pages in some cases are not hosted at MICT, but rather at the repective ISP's.

So we have reports that some different individuals are redirected to different pages.

Thats what I call a hint for your argument, but I fail to see it as proof.

I have received some reports on twitter that the block pages in some cases are not hosted at MICT, but rather at the repective ISP's.

So we have reports that some different individuals are redirected to different pages.

Thats what I call a hint for your argument, but I fail to see it as proof.

It's all getting a bit Oxbridge aint it ?

The point is, Thais are being prevented by the authorities from free access to material

and from the free expression of their views, end of.

• Like 1

Thailand has removed tens of thousands of web pages from the Internet in recent years, mainly for insulting the monarchy, a serious crime punishable by up to 15 years in jail.

a word is missing from sentence, 'allegedly'.

It is ironic in a way, the dog had clothes on, ya theenk?

I just got through to the site, but what article are you talking about. I did not see any mention of Thailand. Thou....I may need some new contacts :(

I've just tried accessing

http://wikileaks.org/

No can do.

While this will not affect tourism, it is probably a better indicator of the political situation in this country than any amount of Yellow and Red demonstrations.

It is always a sign of the decline of the ruling class when it has to resort to censorship of this kind.

It's all getting a bit Oxbridge aint it ?

The point is, Thais are being prevented by the authorities from free access to material

and from the free expression of their views, end of.

Having now watched the video, IMHO there's nothing there that warrants any further comment other than to say that personally, I was the one who felt ashamed to have trespassed onto something that was very private - and (again IMHO) should have remained private. I am also somewhat disappointed by Wikileaks who comment Re: The Crown Princess wrote that Her Royal Highness "appears to be expected to act in a sycophantic manner". Well FWIW, I certainly didn't get that impression at all. If anything, I was left with thought I've already written about above and additionally, that the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess look like any other couple who still respect and love one another. End of story.

The real story and role for Wikileaks I feel involves disseminating the truth from all the bullsh*t and lies we were fed by the US and (not so) Great Britain - to regime change Iraq as they now try the same, tired old strategy on Iran.

However; "Yes" I agree totally that the point raised here by crazydrummerpauly is the "be all & end all"; and should be the "bottom line".

Edited by marginline

Same file that was doing the rounds at least 3 years ago..

I remember some TG's watching at at my villa looking around over their shoulders as they watched it.. One said "whoever make this video.. He die now".. Funny seeing how freaked out by it they were.

Thailand never claimed to have real freedom of speech or any other freedom for that matter. People forget that this is essentially a feudal country with traditions and laws that are feudal. I'm not criticizing it because the people seemed satisfied to live under such circumstances.

Satisfied or afraid?

The site was initially to shine sunlight into the China situation. Then Assange began heading it in 2007. The Germans raided the home of the German domain holder in the .de realm due to Aussie censorship list release.

Any Chinese in Thailand's hi-so?

Edited by ding

I just got through to the site, but what article are you talking about. I did not see any mention of Thailand. Thou....I may need some new contacts :(

I've just tried accessing

http://wikileaks.org/

No can do.

While this will not affect tourism, it is probably a better indicator of the political situation in this country than any amount of Yellow and Red demonstrations.

It is always a sign of the decline of the ruling class when it has to resort to censorship of this kind.

at leaks org put THailand in there search bar. - feel sorry for the servants, got to keep their clothe on, like the dog, but if modest Thais they must feel worse when get home

I viewed the video total waste of time.

Well, I just watched it and showed my wife also....completely flabbergasted :shock1: and the content is unimaginable and incomprehensible.

Unbelievable....a doggies birthday party....the grandeur...the decadence... :blink:

We see a lot in Europe in the tabloids but this...

LaoPo

I'd say 95% of Thais know about "the dog thing". There's more than just that. I've seen photos sold in Pantip on VCDs a few years ago that make "the dog thing" seem harmless. Most Thais know about that too, probably. Ask some Thai friends about it, or your Thai wife or husband ..but I'm not going to write more than this.

If you read the wall street journal article, the thai government freely admits to blocking 40,000 sites to date. Outside groups put it higher, up to 110,000.

Is there a published list of the 110,000 or the 40,000?

Yes, some of it has actually been leaked to wikileaks.org.. (oh, the irony)

Also, according to the WSJ article, the Thai government has recently hired a staff of 120 workers to patrol the internet, and block websites. If they're doing their jobs, 110,000 blocked sites isn't really that high of a number.

From what I can see of the articles on wikileaks the ban is justified on the grounds of good taste, rather than some evil Machiavellian political plot.

If some of the items were published in the UK press or media there would probably be injunctions or a libel suits ensuing.

blocked here.

Never would have cared if they hadn't announced it was blocked.

I've read that the principle fellow of WikiLeaks is suspected to be feeding propagandist (black-ops?) intell to the global internet.

Have you heard of any such reports?

Regards