Oven Vs. Dishwasher, Effect On Resale Value For Beach City Condo

I don't even know if it possible yet but in my current small kitchen I have a full sized built in oven I haven't even used one time and no automatic dishwasher. There is no room for a dishwasher. If did manage to fit in a dishwasher and haul out the oven, would that be much if any of a hit on potential resale value? Personally, the lack of an oven wouldn't stop me from buying a condo I wanted anyway or really value it less, but like I said I don't use ovens, and many home cooks do. Any thoughts?

Edited by Jingthing

I have booth in my small kitchen but donot use dishwasher for only two people just clean dishes as they are used. In the states for the value it helps to have booth and more sq. footage. In Thailand probaly helps value but more than likely sq. meter more important. Look at there kitchens even in a new house more cooking out side.

Were I live in the states if no stove and oven not a kitchen, no dishwasher no problem

Edited by moe666

Yeah I agree in the US an oven is required. However, in a Thai beach city, my feeling is that most people don't do very much cooking, that people use microwaves a lot, and that for Thai cooking, a western oven is really not needed at all.

But what I think doesn't matter to the question. The question is does anyone know if a lack of an oven would lower the resale value of a condo here, and if so, by approx how much? Markets have their own logic.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, I definitively think that you won't gain any resale value, by ripping the Oven out and installing a Dishwasher. I have seldom seen the need for one. Thais don't have a clue when it comes to their use. It might give you a clue if you look around for supplies for a dishwasher such as rising agent and detergent. Hard to find and extremely expensive.

Same pretty much goes for an Oven. Proper baking supplies are hard to come by, but are easier to find than Dishwasher supplies A combination Microwave and Convection Oven seems to fill the bill. A full size Thai European Oven can't compare to a full size American Oven.

Besides this is not the US. Here most cooking is done in a wok. A simple two burner cook-top along with a small microwave, seems to suffice in a very small kitchen in a studio condo.

I think my Oven got use in my View Talay Villa twice in 5 years. The dishwasher was used only once (which was to test it),

Doubtful if any other extras add enough enough 'added value' to pay for it.

Edited by BB1950

Goes to show, different strokes and all that.

An oven is a must for me, don't use it everyday but a few times a week. I then leave the dishes in the sink for the maid who comes in the morning (she only works a few hours a day, and doesn't cook).

I don't think either would add value, per sae, but desirability - I don't think I would have rented either house I have lived in over the last 5 years if they didn't have proper kitchens with ovens.

No, the actual question is whether the LACK of an oven would decrease value and if so a lot or a little. Objectively to the general market, not subjectively. For example, objectively if you're condo for sale didn't have a toilet, that would objectively greatly reduce the market value 55555.

Edited by Jingthing

Live your life the way you want, not limited by the resale value!

If you want a dishwasher get a dishwasher, who cares if in years down the road it knocks the price of an oven off the resale value? Think of how many dish you will have had to have hand washed in the time between then and now.

I doubt that the lack of an oven will affect your resale value as most flats here, and houses even, don't have an oven, not even new build.

My flat here does have an oven and it is used a lot whereas a dishwasher would not be used. The oven was not a main selling factor but if it didn't have one I would have put one in anyway when refurbishing the kitchen. I consider a clothes washing machine to be more important myself.

Having said that I am having a single drawer dishwasher put into a flat in Ha Noi http://www.fisherpay...9A2C88537805167 this type is ideal for small kitchens and their website gives their local agent as Power Buy, Pinklao in Bangkok.

In Seoul I have also seen mini dishwashers that sit on the kitchen worktop and are ideal for small numbers of dishes but have not seen anything similar here.

I am married with a kid so my priorities would be somewhat different than a bachelor / couple in a studio for example.

Edited by PattayaParent

I doubt that the lack of an oven will affect your resale value as most flats here, and houses even, don't have an oven, not even new build.

My flat here does have an oven and it is used a lot whereas a dishwasher would not be used. I consider a clothes washing machine to be more important myself.

Having said that I am having a single drawer dishwasher put into a flat in Ha Noi http://www.fisherpay...9A2C88537805167 this type is ideal for small kitchens and their website gives their local agent as Power Buy, Pinklao in Bangkok.

In Seoul I have also seen mini dishwashers that sit on the kitchen worktop and are ideal for small numbers of dishes but have not seen anything similar here.

We bought one of these mini dishwashers (SIEMENS) for our beach condo a few years ago in Cha Am. Think it was THB 10,000 or so. Sits outside on top of the washing machine. Don't want to miss it.

^where did you get it from CNF?

And are they any good?

In Cha Am - small shop past the traffic light on the left hand side as you drive back to Bkk.

Bought it 4 or 5 years ago, never had a problem. Fell off the washing machine once, the housing a bit dented but still works like a charm. Noothing heavy duty but more than adequate for our weekend stays.

There was a countertop mini dishwasher at a stand downstairs from Lotus across from Future Park Rangsit last week. I think it was just over 10k.

Personally, I wouldn't consider moving into a place without an oven. JT may not use it, but the rest of us farangs surely do. I can always wash the dishes by hand, but there is simply no way to make lasagna or a pizza without an oven.

If I saw a kitchen with a dishwasher where the oven was supposed to be I'd laugh myself silly. Who would even think to do that? There are other ways to clean your pots and pans.

To answer the original question, yes Jingthing, my opinion is doing this would definitely lower your resale value. I would pay 0 for a dishwasher, but an oven has value to me. In fact, I'd offer less because of the hassle of having to dispose of the dishwasher.

For a beach condo, I'd choose something else. I think that a dishwasher would be used less than an oven - certainly in my household - and an oven only used infrequently. On the other hand, many farangs, including myself, don't like the idea of sending out laundry, and hanging wet clothes on the balcony. My choice would be a combo clothes washer/dryer. The new ones are "condensing" meaning you don't need to have duct work for the dryer. Since they're about the same size - and requires similar electrical power - as an oven, it'd be easy to install.

The cheapest tabletop dishwashers I could find in Pattaya are 25K, about the same as full sized ones. They are also very small, you can't do pots and pans. It is hard for me to imagine a combo washer/dryer that fits the same size as my oven. Already have a washer in the bathroom but if I could replace with a washer/dryer in the same spot, that would be cool.

In my case I would use a dishwasher A LOT more than an oven. Yes, this varies according to user. I suppose people looking for an oven would not be happy not to see one, etc. etc.

BTW, to the greenies out there, an automatic dishwasher is actually greener than doing dishes by hand. If you don't believe it, look it up.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...
The cheapest tabletop dishwashers I could find in Pattaya are 25K, about the same as full sized ones.

I may be interested in a countertop dishwasher -- hadn't really considered them. Where did you find them in Pattaya, if I may ask?

I recall in Japan seeing some that were truly portable: they were light enough to put out of sight in a cabinet, and haul out when needed, with quick-connect to the faucet. Do the ones here in Thailand fall into that category, or do I need to sacrifice countertop space permanently?

Just got home from Tesco Lotus in Pattaya on Sukhumvit, and in the row of vendors just after the cashier counters, was a display with several home appliances, including a counter-top dishwasher much like the one in the Numchai link above. I asked the price. Get ready for this: B60,000 (!).

I reconfirmed the price by holding up 6 fingers and tracing four zeros in the air with my finger. B60,000.

Just got home from Tesco Lotus in Pattaya on Sukhumvit, and in the row of vendors just after the cashier counters, was a display with several home appliances, including a counter-top dishwasher much like the one in the Numchai link above. I asked the price. Get ready for this: B60,000 (!).

I reconfirmed the price by holding up 6 fingers and tracing four zeros in the air with my finger. B60,000.

I v got one.Brand new, never connected/used. Electrolux as I recall. 40 k baht including shipping if anyone interested