BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Jingthing

Oven Vs. Dishwasher, Effect On Resale Value For Beach City Condo

^from a chain store (PowerBuy? Robinson?) or just some local shop in the area?

Sorry, just some local shop.

Thanks for the link, I was going to check Numchai.

Saved myself a trip now.

Found out that HAIER also have a table top model - should be a lot cheaper.

There was a countertop mini dishwasher at a stand downstairs from Lotus across from Future Park Rangsit last week. I think it was just over 10k.

Personally, I wouldn't consider moving into a place without an oven. JT may not use it, but the rest of us farangs surely do. I can always wash the dishes by hand, but there is simply no way to make lasagna or a pizza without an oven.

If I saw a kitchen with a dishwasher where the oven was supposed to be I'd laugh myself silly. Who would even think to do that? There are other ways to clean your pots and pans.

To answer the original question, yes Jingthing, my opinion is doing this would definitely lower your resale value. I would pay 0 for a dishwasher, but an oven has value to me. In fact, I'd offer less because of the hassle of having to dispose of the dishwasher.

For a beach condo, I'd choose something else. I think that a dishwasher would be used less than an oven - certainly in my household - and an oven only used infrequently. On the other hand, many farangs, including myself, don't like the idea of sending out laundry, and hanging wet clothes on the balcony. My choice would be a combo clothes washer/dryer. The new ones are "condensing" meaning you don't need to have duct work for the dryer. Since they're about the same size - and requires similar electrical power - as an oven, it'd be easy to install.

The cheapest tabletop dishwashers I could find in Pattaya are 25K, about the same as full sized ones. They are also very small, you can't do pots and pans. It is hard for me to imagine a combo washer/dryer that fits the same size as my oven. Already have a washer in the bathroom but if I could replace with a washer/dryer in the same spot, that would be cool.

In my case I would use a dishwasher A LOT more than an oven. Yes, this varies according to user. I suppose people looking for an oven would not be happy not to see one, etc. etc.

BTW, to the greenies out there, an automatic dishwasher is actually greener than doing dishes by hand. If you don't believe it, look it up.

Edited by Jingthing

The cheapest tabletop dishwashers I could find in Pattaya are 25K, about the same as full sized ones.

I may be interested in a countertop dishwasher -- hadn't really considered them. Where did you find them in Pattaya, if I may ask?

I recall in Japan seeing some that were truly portable: they were light enough to put out of sight in a cabinet, and haul out when needed, with quick-connect to the faucet. Do the ones here in Thailand fall into that category, or do I need to sacrifice countertop space permanently?

Just got home from Tesco Lotus in Pattaya on Sukhumvit, and in the row of vendors just after the cashier counters, was a display with several home appliances, including a counter-top dishwasher much like the one in the Numchai link above. I asked the price. Get ready for this: B60,000 (!).

I reconfirmed the price by holding up 6 fingers and tracing four zeros in the air with my finger. B60,000.

Just got home from Tesco Lotus in Pattaya on Sukhumvit, and in the row of vendors just after the cashier counters, was a display with several home appliances, including a counter-top dishwasher much like the one in the Numchai link above. I asked the price. Get ready for this: B60,000 (!).

I reconfirmed the price by holding up 6 fingers and tracing four zeros in the air with my finger. B60,000.

I v got one.Brand new, never connected/used. Electrolux as I recall. 40 k baht including shipping if anyone interested