Norwegian Falls For ATM Scam In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing sounds like a lot of rubbish to me, as most people know their are limits on the amount you can get out of a cash machine at any given time.

The only way you can get that amount is going inside the bank with the card and then you would have to arrange in advance to get that much money out and need more id.

so something does not seem wright?

i've never been able to take out more than 20k baht a day. though never tried 25. tried 30, but no go.

20,000 max per transaction, max 3 transactions per day, max 50,000 per day.

That's how mine is.

If I want to get my hands on 100,000 I must wait until 10 minutes to midnight, get the first 50k, wait until midnight and get the other 50k. Simple.

The whole thing sounds like a lot of rubbish to me, as most people know their are limits on the amount you can get out of a cash machine at any given time.

The only way you can get that amount is going inside the bank with the card and then you would have to arrange in advance to get that much money out and need more id.

As far as I see, there is noone saying the 200000 bath amount was withdrawn at an ATM.

This could very well have been done over the internet, all you need is the number and the information on the card. The huge amount should be no problem there, as long as the card covers it, and it wouldn`t take more than a couple of minutes.

My guess is that`s what happened.

In Norway we usually have the same strict limit as you guys in here, my card has a 9.900 NOK limit a week. But I have a Mastercard with three times that limit, so it varies from bank to bank, and card to card. Also you can make a request and change it, up or down, no problem.

A recent change in Chicago IL., insert card, enter pin, retrieve card, enter the amount you wish to withdraw, collect cash and receipt.

Grumpyoldman highlights a problem with Thai ATMs. They dont eject your card until the very end of the transaction, so it is very easy, when preoccupied with putting your money into your wallet, to walk away and forget your card. Especially if you r not feeling 100% for any reason. In the UK, this cannot happen as ATMs, give u your card back, and u must take it, before u get your cash.

We should lobby the banks to modify future Thai ATMs. Anyone know email address for Thai wanke_rs, sorry bankers, Association?

Well done for the honesty GOM -sets a good example.

ATM's in the USA are the same as here, when you are finished with your transactions, they ask you if you want a printout. You push; yes or no, then the card comes out. They are probably even made by Diebold in both countries. Never seen an ATM that was any different, in NZ, Australia, US or Thailand. I guess it's just Europe that gives your card back before you are finished using the ATM...

No it isn't mate you should get out more..If you have a healthy account you can ask the bank to increase the 24 hour limit and they shall do so without question.

I see we got the usual Thais ripping off foreiner moans....No doubt his card would have a visa facility on it and if the guy acted as dumb in a European country he'd have bought a new wardrobe, a car, a yaught and a years shopping out of every supermarkets the thief could find by now.

Makes my blood boil wen idiots make out the Thais are any worse than the scum you come across back home.

For one so stupid he got off light.

All ATM cards can have there limits per day extended. My kasikorn ATM is set at 1000000 bt per day while I built my house here, just by a simple telephone call to the call centre and it was arranged. I used this way to pay installments. Don't beleave me,call the automated call centre and listen to the options. Overseas ATM cards generally are set between 20000-50000thb as the min per day and of course all can be adjusted to very high levels opon request.

A card that allows you to take 200.000 THB? I think I can take max 50.000 a week. If I need more, reset the maximum for an hour os so.

Mine is 50,000 per day, or 3 transactions per day.

I'd like to lower that limit.

Is that a foreign ATM card or a Thai ATM card? My foreign ATM card I can take 25,000 Baht per 24 hour period. With my Thai ATM I can get repeated 25,000 Baht pulls, one right after another. As others have said their limit is lower...

ATM's in the USA are the same as here, when you are finished with your transactions, they ask you if you want a printout. You push; yes or no, then the card comes out. They are probably even made by Diebold in both countries. Never seen an ATM that was any different, in NZ, Australia, US or Thailand. I guess it's just Europe that gives your card back before you are finished using the ATM...

A recent change in Chicago IL., insert card, enter pin, retrieve card, enter the amount you wish to withdraw, collect cash and receipt.

According to Siam Commercial Bank I can withdraw up to 200,000 baht per day with my atm card

see: http://www.scb.co.th...ps_bc_atm.shtml but I have to use a SCB machine. Loads of those around.

They are talking about a Siam Commercial Bank ATM card, not a foreign bank ATM card on this link... By the way I can only get 20,000 baht at a Siam Commercial Bank, per pull on my Bank of America ATM card or my Siam Commercial ATM card. B of A limits me to one pull per 24 hours, Siam Commercial doesn't. Same at Bangkok Bank, only I can get 25,000 Baht per pull. This was a tourist we are talking about. He didn't have a Thai bank account. He didn't understand how to use an ATM in English apparently either. I don't think there are any Norwegian language ATM's around here...

Edited by Jimi007

As far as I see, there is noone saying the 200000 bath amount was withdrawn at an ATM.

This could very well have been done over the internet, all you need is the number and the information on the card. The huge amount should be no problem there, as long as the card covers it, and it wouldn`t take more than a couple of minutes.

My guess is that`s what happened.

In Norway we usually have the same strict limit as you guys in here, my card has a 9.900 NOK limit a week. But I have a Mastercard with three times that limit, so it varies from bank to bank, and card to card. Also you can make a request and change it, up or down, no problem.

Also this was a Norwegian card, so I can`t really see a thai asking for a limit of 200000 bath in a thai bank. This is of course not up to that local bank, but the bank in Norway, so the transaction will be denied.

If the amount was withdrawn at an ATM due to the Norwegians increased limit, then the Norwegian and thai bank will see which ATM, time and even a photo I guess, from the local camera. Not that this would do much good, but will at least add more to the story then.

All ATM cards can have there limits per day extended. My kasikorn ATM is set at 1000000 bt per day while I built my house here, just by a simple telephone call to the call centre and it was arranged. I used this way to pay installments. Don't beleave me,call the automated call centre and listen to the options. Overseas ATM cards generally are set between 20000-50000thb as the min per day and of course all can be adjusted to very high levels opon request.

You will have to extend the limit with your own bank, in this case in Norway, not a bank here in Thailand. I understand this is a Norwegian card, so a thai bank are not able to "help" you here.

When I opened my last account here I was offered 100k/day, but said standard 50k was fine. I can always use the bankbook to get out more in the branch - why risk more? See no reason to get out more than 50k via ATM - big bills (school fees for example) are easier handled in the branch.

Someone mentioned getting the limit out either side of midnight, my understanding is that it is a 24 hour period, not a calendar day - certainly is with the banks I have had accounts with here. I gave up on UK bank cards here long ago - never seem to work for me (even after talking to bank helpdesk).

Why not set a maximum limit on your card that can be deducted in one day so that someone doing this kind of thing can't run your card for 200,000 baht if they do get hold of it?

My ATM card (from the US) has a $500 daily limit. The guy must have tons of money to be able to withdraw that amount in a day!

According to Siam Commercial Bank I can withdraw up to 200,000 baht per day with my atm card

see: http://www.scb.co.th...ps_bc_atm.shtml but I have to use a SCB machine. Loads of those around.

They are talking about a Siam Commercial Bank ATM card, not a foreign bank ATM card on this link...

Yes. I know. What's your point?

I have a SCB atm card as I have a SCB account. I also have UK accounts and cards. Foreign bank card limits are normally set by the issuing bank.

I would think he waited a week before reporting it otherwise I doubt they could have withdrawn that much in 1 day.

Maybe he thought the card was safe since as far as he knew it was in the machine.

A lesson for us all.

Why not set a maximum limit on your card that can be deducted in one day so that someone doing this kind of thing can't run your card for 200,000 baht if they do get hold of it?

Does anyone recognize the scumbag in the photo? If so, report it to authorities right away!

Anyone can be duped. Even those who consider themselves ultra-savvy can be duped, particularly when they're in a different environment. Scandinavians are generally more trustworthy (and therefore more trusting) than most other groups of people. Before you jump up and down and start yelling 'racist!' - take a look at surveys done for countries which have the least business corruption. Scandinavian countries always come out on top of such lists.

Edited by brahmburgers

well, I can't get any more than 15,000 out in one day from my Uk bank cards. Even with my Thai bank cards I can't get 200,000 out in one day. This doesn't make too much sense.

No, it doesn't make much sense. How could it have taken him an eternity to not notice? Did he fail to mention he was intoxicated or blind or what?

I was thinking the same thing. The maximum I can get per 24 hour period is either 25,000 Baht or less, depending on the bank's ATM. I wonder if he did call the bank right away or waited a week or more... Another tourist that will tell his friend's how wonderful the Land of Smiles is...

My gosh, is this the ADD forum or what? How many people can read the same information and start making the same gross assumption with zero basis in fact? Where does it say the perp withdrew 200K in one transaction? "But, I thought..." No, you didn't think. If you want to indulge in mindless assumption then here is what really happened. The guy spent 200K on gambling and ladies for him and his son for a week and it dawned on them that mom and the wife would blow a gasket over the unexplained 200K hole in the account, so they cajoled an innocent bystander to lend a hand. Here;s how you know your new assumption is spot on. Any real thiet would know not to stand facing the security camera. It took a week to draw down that much money. Now you know...the rest of the story.

I dont think ATMs here are allowed to dispense that amount of money within a few minutes.. the whole story is gotta be fabricated by that Norwegian guy. I think he lost that amount of money over bars and girls and used his company or wife's money to spend it. Who knows? The other guy who conned him is probably his bar buddy. And have you ever heard of a sucker who fell for that con have his picture posted in the news? If I was that sucker I wouldn't want my face all over the news. I guess this whole story is MADE UP so that he can show it to whoever owns that money from the ATM, and he wont have to be responsible for it. Or maybe he signed up with some kind of THEFT insurance and he's just keeping the 200k just to get some extra cash. There's a lot of mystery to this story.... :P

My gosh, is this the ADD forum or what? How many people can read the same information and start making the same gross assumption with zero basis in fact? Where does it say the perp withdrew 200K in one transaction? "But, I thought..." No, you didn't think. If you want to indulge in mindless assumption then here is what really happened. The guy spent 200K on gambling and ladies for him and his son for a week and it dawned on them that mom and the wife would blow a gasket over the unexplained 200K hole in the account, so they cajoled an innocent bystander to lend a hand. Here;s how you know your new assumption is spot on. Any real thiet would know not to stand facing the security camera. It took a week to draw down that much money. Now you know...the rest of the story.

Apparently you have not learned to read by your response! You are assuming, and posting your assumption! The article quotes "Mr Farseth returned to his room at the Tropical Garden Resort and called the bank to report the card missing, but it was too late: bank staff told him 200,000 baht had been withdrawn from the account. “The guy probably stole my ATM card,” Mr Farseth said sadly." So much for your ASS SUM TION. Try again without your inflammatory remarks...

I dont think ATMs here are allowed to dispense that amount of money within a few minutes.. the whole story is gotta be fabricated by that Norwegian guy. I think he lost that amount of money over bars and girls and used his company or wife's money to spend it. Who knows? The other guy who conned him is probably his bar buddy. And have you ever heard of a sucker who fell for that con have his picture posted in the news? If I was that sucker I wouldn't want my face all over the news. I guess this whole story is MADE UP so that he can show it to whoever owns that money from the ATM, and he wont have to be responsible for it. Or maybe he signed up with some kind of THEFT insurance and he's just keeping the 200k just to get some extra cash. There's a lot of mystery to this story.... :P

While your post makes a point, which may be true, it hasn't been confirmed by the police. There have been many reported thefts to the Kathu Police by foreigners wanting to collect on their travelers insurance. A few have been caught! As he waited to report it to the police it may raise some suspicion!

I just can't help but wonder at people sometimes.

What person capable of handling a bank account and managing international travel think they would need help working an ATM?

And what bank allows 200,000 baht withdrawals? My bank starts getting real nervous if I pull over 1000 pounds a day. Once I needed a fairly large sum and withdrew 750 pounds on my ATM card and then a similar amount on my credit card. By the time I got home, there was an email from the bank sitting in my inbox.

Maybe he should have left his ATM card back at home with his brain.

Mr Kjell told police the man, wearing sunglasses and a black cap, offered to help him conduct the transaction when he was having problems with the machine on the morning of August 9.

What the hel_l's wrong with some farlangs? Would he have done this in Europe? I guess not. The story smells like old fermented fish........... :ph34r: