Norwegian Falls For ATM Scam In Phuket

webfact

Is that a foreign ATM card or a Thai ATM card? My foreign ATM card I can take 25,000 Baht per 24 hour period. With my Thai ATM I can get repeated 25,000 Baht pulls, one right after another. As others have said their limit is lower...

My one is a Thai bank's ATM card. I really must ask them to lower the limit. Mind you, I have left my card in the machine on 2 occasions, never got it back, but no withdrawals made. But it did cost me 150 baht each time to get a new card. :(

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one is a Thai bank's ATM card. I really must ask them to lower the limit. Mind you, I have left my card in the machine on 2 occasions, never got it back, but no withdrawals made. But it did cost me 150 baht each time to get a new card. :(

Sorry you left them in the ATM, but at least they didn't have your PIN number! I've never left mine behind, but I probably shouldn't carry all four of my ATM cards with me. As I said earlier, it must be a British or European thing, that your ATM card is returned to you before taking your cash! But at least you were only out 300 Baht! It could have been worse...

Why not set a maximum limit on your card that can be deducted in one day so that someone doing this kind of thing can't run your card for 200,000 baht if they do get hold of it?

I was thinking the same thing. The maximum I can get per 24 hour period is either 25,000 Baht or less, depending on the bank's ATM. I wonder if he did call the bank right away or waited a week or more... Another tourist that will tell his friend's how wonderful the Land of Smiles is...

I can get THB 40,000 per day from ATMs, but still: The total amount stolen appears to be excessive.

Why not set a maximum limit on your card that can be deducted in one day so that someone doing this kind of thing can't run your card for 200,000 baht if they do get hold of it?

well, I can't get any more than 15,000 out in one day from my Uk bank cards. Even with my Thai bank cards I can't get 200,000 out in one day. This doesn't make too much sense.

Ok, then you have choosed aq bank wihch tell you when you can use your money or not.I can withdraw the amount I wich, but I`m an Norwegian.

it took a while for me to get used to the fact that the atm machines gave me the moeny before giving the card back. I left one card behind once and when i arrived first i walked away only to hear the beeping on several occasion.

My mate back home had a similar expierence, he laughs at how stupid he was now. he went for a meal with his g/f but forgot cash so he left the restaurant and rushed to the nearest atm, he entered his pin and got no cash twice, then a nice lady said she had the same problem and she had to enter her pin a couple of times so he tried again, (this is where he laughs at how stupid he was) he called the women up to look at him entering the pin and told her "look i am putting in the correct pin and no cash", he gave up and left to go back to the restaurant, they got about 500 euro i think.

I used to work in bank and when a card was skimmed they would take 500 just before midnight and 500 just after to beat the daily limit. getting 1000 euro. before i left they had got smarter. they would take out 500 and lodge a forged cheque for the same amount. the person wouldn't notice their balance dropping (only their available balance would drop, and most people don't understand what that is). they could do this for at least 5 days before the first cheque bounced getting 2500 euro instead of 1000.

If this scam is only coming to Phuket now, its done well to avoid it for at least the last 10 years.

It is a bit strange to me. He uses the ATM machine on Monday 9th August at 16.38 local time. (see picture right top corner). Then he walks back to the hotel and calls his bank. Time in Norway is 5 hours earlier. Say 12.00 local time. That means within almost 30 mnts THB 200 000 has been taken from his account????? If I use an ATM Machine, I can only get THB. 20 000 out of it (max). Then 10 days later he reports it to the police. I think for insurance reasons.

I was thinking the same thing. The maximum I can get per 24 hour period is either 25,000 Baht or less, depending on the bank's ATM. I wonder if he did call the bank right away or waited a week or more... Another tourist that will tell his friend's how wonderful the Land of Smiles is...

I can get THB 40,000 per day from ATMs, but still: The total amount stolen appears to be excessive.

Hey Tom, is this with a foreign ATM card or a Thai Bank ATM card? Two different things... Just curious...

Once again a contradictory report.

Did he wait a week before reporting the matter - or did he return to his hotel and call the bank.

Surely somebody should check what information goes out. makes the authorities and Thailand look so stupid!

He went back to his hotell and called his bank, but waited a week to report to the police.

well, I can't get any more than 15,000 out in one day from my Uk bank cards. Even with my Thai bank cards I can't get 200,000 out in one day. This doesn't make too much sense.

Ok, then you have choosed aq bank wihch tell you when you can use your money or not.I can withdraw the amount I wich, but I`m an Norwegian.

Ah, that explains the question we have all had. There are security precautions on most ATM cards when in another country. But Norway will let someone empty your bank account by a scam artist and it's no one's responsibility, other than the card holder... Good system, if you can afford to take the loss personally. sad.gif

Edit: Are you in Norway or Thailand?

Edited by Jimi007

poor guy .. i feel sorry for him ... :(

Well remember, he is a Norwegian, and he doesn't seem too fussed about it. (I had better stop here .... ) He'll replace it quickly enough.

But yes, the comment about leaving the card at home? "Maybe he should have left his ATM card back at home with his brain." (yep)

Well, as I have lived in Norway for many years, the experience is with ATM is that: 1 the transaction is requested, it is processed, 2. the card is ejected, 3. the money comes out, and 4. finally a receipt if you have asked for one.

Things are a bit different in the UK. However, and wherever, it sure pays to do some research before venturing out. That is where the value of this website is absolutely 'top shelf'. But Norwegians are notoriously hopeless when it comes to reading the instructions on anything. Most think they know more than ... (here I go again, sorry, I'll shut up)

I'm sorry, but I find it very hard to feel sorry for this guy. Has he been living under a rock? He is 52 and doesn't know how to work an atm?? Doesn't know to never give out your card, pin number, etc?? This is atm 101 people.I'm on guard if someone is standing too close when I use the atm. This rule applies everywhere. Home, vacation, everywhere. If you don't even know how to use the atm here's a hint...don't use it. If you are stupid enough to give someone your card and pin number you deserve what you get.. Why not just write the thief a check and make it easier. I'm sorry guys I can't "feel sorry" for this guy. He's an idiot. I'm sure he's a very nice guy, but an idiot just the same.

... Another tourist that will tell his friend's how wonderful the Land of Smiles is...

dont't blame any country on bloody ignorance about anything financial

People are strange. (Jim Morisson.) :unsure:

This can easily be avoided.

In Thailand I always opened two bank accounts at the same bank. One account was linked to the ATM card, the other was not but was linked to the other account for online banking purposes. I never transferred money into the ATM account unless I need to withdraw it.

If someone steals your card, they can only get the money in the atm account, not the other account that you control online.

I suggest also not using internet cafe's for your banking, only use your own laptop.

Problem solved.

i've never been able to take out more than 20k baht a day. though never tried 25. tried 30, but no go.

20,000 max per transaction, max 3 transactions per day, max 50,000 per day.

That's how mine is.

If I want to get my hands on 100,000 I must wait until 10 minutes to midnight, get the first 50k, wait until midnight and get the other 50k. Simple.

With Thai ATMs I can get 20k baht or 40k baht depending on the bank or machine (Never tried multiple transactions), if I want more I go into a bank show them my passport - they make a couple of phone calls and I get my money, card limit, NO problems.

Australian ATMs give you your card back first. When you take the card the cash comes out, lastly the balance check(if requested)

My daily limit for ATM withdrawal is now 9,000 baht. Due to a further drop in the value of the euro it was reduced from 10,000 daily.

I feel sorry for the poor guy. With hindsight I would expect he is very annoyed with himself. :huh:

Yes 15000 for uk banks, 20000 for thai bank accounts unless!! you change the amount personaly

My gosh, is this the ADD forum or what? How many people can read the same information and start making the same gross assumption with zero basis in fact? Where does it say the perp withdrew 200K in one transaction? "But, I thought..." No, you didn't think. If you want to indulge in mindless assumption then here is what really happened. The guy spent 200K on gambling and ladies for him and his son for a week and it dawned on them that mom and the wife would blow a gasket over the unexplained 200K hole in the account, so they cajoled an innocent bystander to lend a hand. Here;s how you know your new assumption is spot on. Any real thiet would know not to stand facing the security camera. It took a week to draw down that much money. Now you know...the rest of the story.

You are entitled to your opinion, and so are other members of this forum, criticising their views in the way you did is inappropriate,

Moreover, your expressed view can not be factual since you don't know the precise happenings either, and thus your view is based on fantasy, somewhat similar to the novel by Jeffrey Archer ... "Not a penny more, Not a penny less".

this happened to in Spain about 6 years ago. Machine wasnt working , nice looking girl offered to help, suggested I try pin one more time (while she watched), it didnt work.

I walked halfway down the road going to call my bank and then I knew that Id been done. Ran back, card and girl were gone. Called bank and they advised that Id taken my limit out that day anyway so they didn't get a sausage which was cool. They use to use some hi tech comp device on the card part which manipulates the screen display etc.

Funny thing was when the card wasnt working, the last time, some warning did flash up but I had no idea what it said, it was in Spanish :-)

Norway's got a huge pile of oil money and an enviable budget surplus. 200,000 baht is a lot of money for this retired expat but in a country that has the most expensive Big Mac in the world and Starbucks grande he'll get over it.

There is no Starbucks in Norway, but you are correct about the Big Mac...cool.gif

:wai: :wai: Thanks. I was on a roll and just couldn't stop at the end of my knowledge. No Starbucks? Hm, kudos to the land of the north way.

From working in the banks there are loads of different techniques. One is to place a small camera to see your pin and a simple card catcher over where you enter your card. The card catcher and the person helping looking over your shoulder is also common. I have seen ones where they have put a complete new screen etc. on top of the actual machine. I usually used one had to cover when i enter my pin. it a good thing to do.

MAYBE IT WAS 20000 baht not 200K ?

That would make more sense to me. Somethings wrong with this story I think.

on my foreign ATM VISA cards I can withdraw 6-700k baht/day (usd 20k/day) in LOS and on my Thai ATM VISA cards I can withdraw 200k/day and my Thai CC VISA has no limit/day. Whats wrong with 200k in an hour?

on my foreign ATM VISA cards I can withdraw 6-700k baht/day (usd 20k/day) in LOS and on my Thai ATM VISA cards I can withdraw 200k/day and my Thai CC VISA has no limit/day. Whats wrong with 200k in an hour?

Now you're just showing off.

:D

This Norwegian must have had special arrangements with the bank, I have never been able to withdraw cash more than 25.000 bath at any day, except when shopping.