BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Norwegian Falls For ATM Scam In Phuket

poor guy .. i feel sorry for him ... :(

I feel sorry for him too, but really, what country in the world would you give your ATM card to a complete stranger?

Once again a contradictory report.

Did he wait a week before reporting the matter - or did he return to his hotel and call the bank.

Surely somebody should check what information goes out. makes the authorities and Thailand look so stupid!

Do they need OUR help for that then?

ATM's in the USA are the same as here, when you are finished with your transactions, they ask you if you want a printout. You push; yes or no, then the card comes out. They are probably even made by Diebold in both countries. Never seen an ATM that was any different, in NZ, Australia, US or Thailand. I guess it's just Europe that gives your card back before you are finished using the ATM...

i have done this before, normally when i am first back from England and on the piss, as usally after you get your money from the ATM you walk away as you already have your card

Did he wait a week before reporting the matter - or did he return to his hotel and call the bank.

Surely somebody should check what information goes out. makes the authorities and Thailand look so stupid!

He returned to his hotel and called the bank. A week later he reported the theft to the authorities. I see no contradiction there.

... Another tourist that will tell his friend's how wonderful the Land of Smiles is...

dont't blame any country on bloody ignorance about anything financial

Unfortunately Thais continue to rip off foreigners whether it be Thai Women or Men. Thailands' reputation in the world as a place to visit is getting worse day by day. Ranked 58th as far as nice countries to visit.

... Another tourist that will tell his friend's how wonderful the Land of Smiles is...

dont't blame any country on bloody ignorance about anything financial

I agree, ignorance is no excuse. But I was thinking about the tourism in Thailand and what he will say. Will he say; I was stupid? Or will he say; I was ripped off by a scammer in Thailand?

Odd happenings here, Alright the chap was rather careless whilst at the ATM machine with this thieving Bloke, but If he did report this to the bank as soon as he got back to his hotel then in a normal way the bank would immediately stop his ATM connection, why was this not done ?

Moreover, how could the thievish bloke extract the 200K so rapidly, perhaps Norwegian banks have no daily limit restriction on their ATM's, but this hard to believe in terms of banking security.

If the card was retained into the ATM (as stated) then why did he not go to the nearest 'appropriate' bank in order to have matters dealt with and the a/c secured, there is something rather strange here, the very fact that he waited six days before informing the police is also rather odd.

Notwithstanding the above one feels sorry for the chap coming her on holiday with his son to experience such a problem, but on the other hand should he be a Norwegian oil magnate (there are many) then the matter will have been of little concern for him, which might be reflective of the way he dealt with it.

He waited for more than one week before reporting the case to the authorities. While he was informing his bank after returning to his hotel.

Authority stands here for Police and Bank stands for Bank. Not so stupid after all. But one needs to be not too stupid to read.

If that's really what this is, someone is REALLY stupid and it's not the reader. He calls the bank to report the problem, finds out he got ripped off by 200K, then waits one week before reporting the matter to the police?

That doesn't make any *** sense.

For the withdrawal upper limit, 200K is the upper limit for most Thai banks on Thai cards held by foreigners (needs to be requested). And there are a lot of people who wouldn't put up with a £300 a day max.

One thing that bugs me is that the thieve was not arrested. To withdraw the money so fast, he had to do so at a local ATM.

The transaction should be easy to track and it should be easy to see on the ATM's camera who did the transaction. Given a picture of the guy as well as his exact location a few hours earlier, it shouldn't be too hard for any competent cop to identify and arrest the culprit.

Oh, wait... I think I see the problem.

The only logical explanation is that it took him a week to get back to his hotel.

Probably left his sense of direction with his brain at the airport.

Grumpyoldman highlights a problem with Thai ATMs. They dont eject your card until the very end of the transaction, so it is very easy, when preoccupied with putting your money into your wallet, to walk away and forget your card. Especially if you r not feeling 100% for any reason. In the UK, this cannot happen as ATMs, give u your card back, and u must take it, before u get your cash.

We should lobby the banks to modify future Thai ATMs. Anyone know email address for Thai wanke_rs, sorry bankers, Association?

Well done for the honesty GOM -sets a good example.

If you walk away and leave your card in the machine, it will eat it back up if no one takes it (I know - I did this one time when brain was in neutral). If someone does take it, they can't use the card in the machine because you have to put the pin in again (tho' of course they can try going shopping with it if they can get away with your signature and being a Thai called 'Malcolm' ohmy.gif).

A card that allows you to take 200.000 THB? I think I can take max 50.000 a week. If I need more, reset the maximum for an hour os so.

Mine is 50,000 per day, or 3 transactions per day.

I'd like to lower that limit.

in the land of smiles a Thai with 200,000 worth of a big smile

You think the guy looks Thai?