Any Advice?

My son who is 17, will be traveling to Bangkok, Thailand in September to spend a month with our family members currently residing there, and I am wondering if there are any suggestions you could offer as to how to be safe while there, and whether there will be any problems with him getting into Thailand alone...?

Does he need to have a signed letter from me giving him permission to go to Thailand, to show to customs in Thailand and get his U.S. Passport stamped and be allowed to enter the country?

Are there any other things he should expect other then a culture shock?

Edited by bigeastie2

I don't think there is much to worry about here, but can offer these tips (I assume he is coming in on a 30 day stamp, no visa):

Conservative dress and haircut.

Put the relatives address on the customs card as the place he will be staying, and if they ask, he can say I am staying with relatives.

Carry the return air ticket.

Have evidence of some funds in cash and/or travellers checks.

Provide the dreaded parent/son drug and sex lecture as it can be confusing here with many things seemingly easily available but can have very serious penalties. Don't even consider doing any kind of drug here as the risk is just too great. AIDS is also a serious problem but there are also many other less serious so don't take unnecessary risks.

The drinking age is 20 here and that applies to everyone. Although not likely to result in years in jail is also can get him arrested.

Everyone has to carry photo ID at all times. He should carry passport to be 100% safe but would not be paranoid about that unless during terrorist alert. If he has drivers licence or some other photo id would be good to carry.

My 18 and a half year old son came over to visit me alone last year for 1 months. The only problem he had wa that I went to meet him at terminale one and he arrived at terminal 2. The Thai airport staff helped him and anounced over the pa for me to pick up an airport phone and bingo we got to the right terminal. So do not worry, he will be fine. :o

Everyone has to carry photo ID at all times.  He should carry passport to be 100% safe but would not be paranoid about that unless during terrorist alert.  If he has drivers licence or some other photo id would be good to carry.

Technically, he should be able to show his passport when asked - but, in practice, it's generally regarded as better to carry a good photocopy and keep the original safe where he's staying. If you/he decide that he will carry his actual passport, at least keep a photocopy where he's staying.

Technically, he should be able to show his passport when asked - but, in practice, it's generally regarded as better to carry a good photocopy and keep the original safe where he's staying. If you/he decide that he will carry his actual passport, at least keep a photocopy where he's staying.

I would suggest that the copy of the passport should be accompanied with a copy of the TM card and entry stamp.

I would suggest that the copy of the passport should be accompanied with a copy of the TM card and entry stamp (and visa if applicable).