Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

no info on the mantrina hotel restaurant limbo,but what might interest you the sign for the mantrina says hotel and art gallery

Just found this.

www.themantrini.com

Thanks Soap, I appreciate that you steer my nose in the direction of art-related happenings.

Please continue doing so!

Thanks Tayto too for the good work.

I noticed today that they were putting big letters on the front glasswall of the future artgallery.

They weren't ready yet, but I think they announced the opening of the restaurant The Laft.

I will go and have a look to-morrow and report back.

The Project Manager gave me a guided tour over he premises some weeks ago. It is indeed a super modern concept with a sharp eye for even the most subtile detail. Everything is worked out very thoughtfull. The design of the rooms is excellent, no, brilliant. Chiang Rai is finally entering the 21th century with a building like this.

Aside from some cathedral-like mastodontic showrooms of car dealerships this is the first building of Chiang Rai where glass is applied in a functional and at the same time pure esthetic way.

It gives the buildings a refreshing transparency. And it is this transparency which in its turn gives the buildings their unique character. These buildings breathe, they are light and open. Their inner spaces are integrated with their immediate environment. Walking through the main building into the beautiful garden you don't notice if you are (or were) in- or outside.

The architectural concept is revolutionary for Chiang Rai.

Look at the buildings in this town, at least at those which are not hidden behind billboards.

Cheap bastions to hide within, with small windows to let in some light.

Is this need to lock oneself in a symptom of fear for the outside world?

And please, don't talk me about this matchbox architecture crowned by a 'galae' and suddenly the building supposedly is 'Lanna style': Pak chi, or windowdressing as we might call it, spiritual poverty, architecture designed by building contractors.

The Mantrini building is the herald of fresh winds, referring to new times to come.

My respect! It is possible in Chiang Rai after all!

Limbo :o

post-6305-1152970409.jpg post-6305-1152970433.jpg post-6305-1152970669.jpg

Edited by Limbo

Hubbie and I are coming up to stay at the Legend this weekend for some R&R. We are both avid foodies but every time we go we only seem to go to the main strip near the night bazaar and eat at that Italian place. Would love to have some suggestions of any new or good restaurants. We like good atmosphere, good wines (but happy to bring our own) and great food. We eat Thai here in CM regularly, so would like something alternative, though a great Thai restaurant that is different and has something new to offer woulod also appeal.

Cheers.

If you are staying at the Legend, why don't you try their restaurant one night?

I did more than a year ago. I arrived a little bit late so my friend was there already with two beautiful girls. He had ordered some special drinks to them and already choosen the wine.

We had a great dinner, we had the dinnerbuffe. After coffe, cocnac, some sweet etc etc it was time for the bill.

"Oh, sorry", my friend said. "I've forgotten my wallet!".

The rooms are not cheap there and the bill was in the same class.

Walking around Chiang Rai today, I met a very friendly American gentleman , who told me about a new dining/hotel enterprise coming to Chiang Rai.

Named Starbright, it is under construction opposite Edison Dept. store. Due to open in December.

Having got a sneak view at the menu, I think we are in for a culinary explosion in Chiang Rai.

With all the new eating places here, I can see many extra kilos on the local farang.

Bon Apitit.

Speaking about the Mexican restaurant by the Overbrook Hospital, don´t eat there unless you´re a big fan of microwaves popping open or if you have a cold and can´t taste anything.

I say this because it´s ridiculous to pay Bangkok prices for a meal that you can easily make yourself, put in the freezer and 6 months later heat, eat and experience the true essence of what this restaurant has to offer.

If you have never tried Mexican food you probably won´t be disappointed (because you don´t know what to expect) but I´m sorry to say that the linguistic abilities of the lady has nothing to do with the quality of the food.

Why not wait until next time you´re in Bangkok on a Tuesday and try out Bourbon Street on soi 22 which has a buffet for about 250 baht with REAL Méxican food. Just a tip, you won´t get disappointed.

Actually, the western restaurants in Chiang Rai are very mediocre compared to what you can get elsewhere. Even The Old Dutch that used to be a very good restaurant in Bangkok seem to have lost every bit of sizzle after moving to Chiang Rai. Is it the quality of meat and veggies in Chiang Rai or what?

Sure, the Dutch almost have a monopoly on restaurants along the Nightbazaar street and one or two are quite alright.

I was happy though that there is a Lebanese restaurant next to the Thai Airways office that has ok food for ok prices.

Saying that Da Vinci is the only Italian restaurant in Chiang Rai is a pure lie since if you continue south on the same road and turn right at the next intersection AFTER the Meuang Tong restaurant you will find another one. Haven´t eaten there so I don´t know if I should recommend it or not.

Another tip is the Japanese restaurant that if you continue south on the Phahonyothin Road until you almost reach the super highway will be found on the left hand side with some typical kitch decoration so it is easy to see. It is owned by a Japanese who also cooks the food himself. It is good, better than Oishi or Fuji which is Japan´s answer to McDonalds.

For a good Khao Soi close to Chiang Rai, Khao Soi Nang Lae is the place. At least there has been another farang every time I´ve been there which probably means it´s good or that they have menus in English (I don´t know if they have that). Left hand side and if you can´t read Thai you will probably miss it or you can start looking after the Pepsi factory.

Can someone recommend a good moograta? Korean hotpot that is. The only one I´ve been to so far is the one across from Big C which has good naam chim but not so much more than that.

Edited by goski

Even The Old Dutch that used to be a very good restaurant in Bangkok seem to have lost every bit of sizzle after moving to Chiang Rai. Is it the quality of meat and veggies in Chiang Rai or what?

Saying that Da Vinci is the only Italian restaurant in Chiang Rai is a pure lie since if you continue south on the same road and turn right at the next intersection AFTER the Meuang Tong restaurant you will find another one. Haven´t eaten there so I don´t know if I should recommend it or not.

I will talk with the owner of The Old Dutch about it. I know he had problems with finding and training a good cook for a while. The last time he has been rather busy building the Thai style place aside of the main restaurant, the deli and the guesthouse on top.

I know that he is looking forward to engage himself more in the kitchen department.

It might have been a while ago that you have been there. I think it is quite good nowadays.

Concerning the Mexican I regret that I have to agree with you, but my experience is only based on one visit.

The Italian you mention is OK, not directly more but also not less. Also here the prize is promising, but if this promise is kept is a question which everybody has to answer for himself. Lovely Grappa's and pleasant wines.

Another Italian in the soi from the main road (next to Bangkok Grill) to the nightmarket. After twenty meters at the right side.

Another little Italian one, good from hear-say, is in the Wangcome street between the main road and the Wangcome Hotel, at the side of the department store next to the massage parlours.

A Swedish friend is enormeous enthousiastic about the Italian dishes and pizza's of the (open)restaurant on the corner opposite Wat Kliang Wiang (spelling and wording ???) on the street from town towards the police station.

You are absolutely right: The Da Vinci is not the only one, but as many seem to agree, a very good one.

And Chiang Rai has a Pizza Company as well. The advantage is that they deliver, the disadvantage lies in what they deliver.

I agree, on most things you say :o

As a former Bangkok resident I actually enjoyed the possibility to not have to engage in an afternoon of planning how and when to go to a certain restaurant and actually order from Pizza Company. In Chiang Rai it is useless. You can buy two take-away pizzas from Da Vinci for about 300 baht where a set delivery menu from Pizza Company ends up at around 400 baht. Ridiculous considering that they are competing with a place that has a real pizza oven.

I remember that before Da Vinci existed, I lived close to the Mae Fha Luang university and ordered a pizza from Pizza Company. Problem is that they don´t deliver that far so we made a deal that I would wait by the sala after the Rajabhat University (shouldn´t be called a university btw). The pizza guy came and the transaction was done in front of many a curious thai that were wondering why a 1.90 m tall farang was doing dodgy culinary deals out in the middle of nowhere :D

Actually, speaking so much about food and these tips about italian restaurants makes me consider this day to be a gastronomic one :D Thank you for those.

Talking about Italian rest and pizzas....

I said it before and I will say it again:

Santiburi Golf Club has one of the best restaurants in Chiang Rai (OK, it's 8 km from the city)

AND they also have pizza there. Try the Four Season Pizza. Not too big but delicius. And they also have a Seafood pizza.

BUT you go there for the very good Thai food. And prices are very reasonable!

At the same time you have a wonderful view over Northern Thailands Best Golf Course!

:o:D:D

I noticed today that they were putting big letters on the front glasswall of the future artgallery.

They weren't ready yet, but I think they announced the opening of the restaurant The Laft.

The Project Manager, Khun Pathaithep, gave me a guided tour over he premises some weeks ago. It is indeed a super modern concept with a sharp eye for even the most subtile detail. Everything is worked out very thoughtfull. The design of the rooms is excellent, no, brilliant. Chiang Rai is finally entering the 21th century with a building like this.

Aside from some cathedral-like mastodontic showrooms of car dealerships this is the first building of Chiang Rai where glass is applied in a functional and at the same time pure esthetic way.

It gives the buildings a refreshing transparency. And it is this transparency which in its turn gives the buildings their unique character. These buildings breathe, they are light and open. Their inner spaces are integrated with their immediate environment. Walking through the main building into the beautiful garden you don't notice if you are (or were) in- or outside.

The architectural concept is revolutionary for Chiang Rai.

The Mantrini building is the herald of fresh winds, referring to new times to come.

My respect! It is possible in Chiang Rai after all!

Dear Dr Limbo,

I passed the Mantrini yesterday and after reading your words about this fantastic building I was very surprised to see those big, big, ugly letters on the big, big window! :D

It looked like <deleted>, so cheap and so "thai". It must be that the Project Manager, Khun Pathaithep are away on a long holiday because he cannot be responsible for this, or? :D

I hope they find another way to advertise their restaurant.

So when is the hotel open and when can we go and have meal in their restaurant? someone that knows?

I agree, on most things you say :o

As a former Bangkok resident I actually enjoyed the possibility to not have to engage in an afternoon of planning how and when to go to a certain restaurant and actually order from Pizza Company. In Chiang Rai it is useless. You can buy two take-away pizzas from Da Vinci for about 300 baht where a set delivery menu from Pizza Company ends up at around 400 baht. Ridiculous considering that they are competing with a place that has a real pizza oven.

I remember that before Da Vinci existed, I lived close to the Mae Fha Luang university and ordered a pizza from Pizza Company. Problem is that they don´t deliver that far so we made a deal that I would wait by the sala after the Rajabhat University (shouldn´t be called a university btw). The pizza guy came and the transaction was done in front of many a curious thai that were wondering why a 1.90 m tall farang was doing dodgy culinary deals out in the middle of nowhere :D

Actually, speaking so much about food and these tips about italian restaurants makes me consider this day to be a gastronomic one :D Thank you for those.

Thats a very flippant, untopical remark about Rajabhat University.

Rajabhat colleges had the great honour of being bestowed with the title University a few years ago by Royal decree.

Do you have a problem with this or would you like to critize it?

Rajabhat is Thailands middle class University where ordinary people can get a degree, without having to grease the palms of other so called Universities .

Edited by tayto

Dear Dr Limbo,

I passed the Mantrini yesterday and after reading your words about this fantastic building I was very surprised to see those big, big, ugly letters on the big, big window! :D

It looked like <deleted>, so cheap and so "thai". It must be that the Project Manager, Khun Pathaithep are away on a long holiday because he cannot be responsible for this, or? :D

I hope they find another way to advertise their restaurant.

So when is the hotel open and when can we go and have meal in their restaurant? someone that knows?

Dear Svenivan,

The message on the gallery/cafbuilding, which happens to be still under construction, is pure informative and on top of this temporary. The way it is done draws the attention, which with all reason could be considered the meaning of it. That it even worked for you, a person who's observational skills I consider to be beyond all doubt, shows that it actually couldn't have been done better :D.

I don't know your connotation of the word 'thai' as you use it, so I can't comment on it.

Many arrogant 'farang' would have called it 'thai' if the letters would have been very thin and small:

'How do they expect me to be able to read it from the other side of the super-highway?', or 'how do they expect me to be able to read it when I pass by in my car?'.

Of course these letters had to be fat and big!

Concerning the restaurant 'The Lafs' ( a compilation of 'Lanna' and 'fusion') I am happy to be able to inform you about the following:

The restaurant is open between 11 and 2 for lunch and between 5 and 10 for dinner.

For the time being only 'a la carte' and Thai. Prized 150/250 Baht.

A very good selection of wines (1100 to 1700 Baht) and an excellent cappuchino for which you can drop in anytime (65 Baht).

The ambiance however is priceless and for free!

The name Mantrini (the last syllable is stressed) refers to a Sanskrit word, meaning a perfect magic lady. The article The refers to the uniqueness of this hotel, a viewpoint I fully subscribe to.

A limited number of rooms are available, for the time being at reduced rates (2500 Baht).

The spa and fittness aren't ready yet.

At your service.

Hello and Hi!

I must sadly go back on what I said about the Japanese restaurant about a week ago. The restaurant has changed owners and the Japanese man has gone back to his ancestral land with his Thai wife. Fair enough. But, really it isn´t because he took some of the quality and charm with him and what use is that for the present owner?

They still have a good Miso soup and a decent California Maki but when the Sashimi is frozen and the Yamamori mixed with Phu Khao Tong (PKT is a salty soy sauce for those who don´t know the brand) is doesn´t feel right at all. Sake not there, menu items have "not arrived yet" and so on.

Well, it would just like to say that it was better before. Does anyone else know about a decent Japanese restaurant in the vicinity? I saw that there is a Japanese food shop now at the intersection before the bridge going towards Mae Sai. I can always try to poison myself while attempting a Sushi on blowfish.

I hope our house-aesthetician :D considers revising his opinion: Look at the choice of color and the position of the letters and this against the background of their temporary function.

post-6305-1152968973.jpg post-6305-1152969009.jpg

It might be very well the case, that Svenivan is going to enjoy pleasant moments in this front building of The Mantrini.

In the future there will be an art gallery behind these letters (ok the letters might be gone by then) and below this art gallery there will be a modern cafe with a library, good music and a space for art-related workshops.

This annexe will be like a natural connection between the hotel and the town, as its users will be from both sides.

Sounds like an excellent idea to me!

Speaking about the Mexican restaurant by the Overbrook Hospital, don´t eat there unless you´re a big fan of microwaves popping open or if you have a cold and can´t taste anything.

I say this because it´s ridiculous to pay Bangkok prices for a meal that you can easily make yourself, put in the freezer and 6 months later heat, eat and experience the true essence of what this restaurant has to offer.

If you have never tried Mexican food you probably won´t be disappointed (because you don´t know what to expect) but I´m sorry to say that the linguistic abilities of the lady has nothing to do with the quality of the food.

Why not wait until next time you´re in Bangkok on a Tuesday and try out Bourbon Street on soi 22 which has a buffet for about 250 baht with REAL Méxican food. Just a tip, you won´t get disappointed.

Actually, the western restaurants in Chiang Rai are very mediocre compared to what you can get elsewhere

If you are looking for the taste of authentic Mexican food, then no, the place by Overbrook isn't it. But if you're longing for something that tastes almost Mexican, then it's O.K. I'm sure there are many good Mexican cuisine restaurants in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but we're talking about Chiang Rai. Anybody know of anywhere that serves good Mexican-style food in Chiang Rai? Yes, we CAN cook some Mexican dishes ourselves, and occasionly do that, but the whole point is to have someone else cook it.

Kay's restrurant is not real Mexican food, but i like it. Her pizzas aren't really pizzas, but i like them. One thing she really makes good is the salsa. I keep telling her to jar it and sell it. Anything different in this town is ok with me. :o

Ah, the best way is as usual to go somewhere by yourself to experience it. Trusting people on a web forum sometimes tends to be biased, especially for small towns like Chiang Rai but nevertheless bigger cities as well.

Doesn´t matter, as long as people like what they eat or experience it´s fine.

I would just like to add something. If the whole thing is that someone else makes the food, shouldn´t it be at least as tasty as you can do it yourself and reasonably priced? Otherwise, what´s the point?

Tried out the new night bazaar in Bandoo last night.

Terrible selection of food, nice music and setting but nobody there.

Left and went back to the original in Chiang Rai. The food is ok there but when we arrived, we had as usual, great difficulty getting a seat.

Eventually someone left and we got a table. But what a mess, sea shells all over the place, beer bottles, plates and fish bones under the table.

The waitress cleaned the table with the dirtiest rag I ever saw. I asked her to clean under the table but she said it wasn't her job and walked away.

Where do you complain? nowhere.

No, no problems with that. In fact I hardly care but you do and that´s fair enough with me. I´m well aware of Rajabhats history and the western teachers there. Back to topic perhaps?

Goski,

please do tell us more about your wise crack on Rachapat University.. It is a very good University and I happen to know many students that go there and they are all intelligent people. I also know a few of the western teachers that teach there during the terms (not summer courses) and they are good teachers.

I really dont want to digress of the topic but it has me absolutely baffled how one can make a statement like that.

As for culinerary delights. I like the Pat Thai at ha yak. If you are going towards the statue from the police station you need to stay on the right side of the road when the road splits into 2. you will pass a few stalls on the sidewalk and than will see an open air restaurant (about 30 metres from the statue), immediately beside that is in my opinion the best Pat Thai in town. opens in the afternoon.

enjoy

Edited by In the Rai!

No, no problems with that. In fact I hardly care but you do and that´s fair enough with me. I´m well aware of Rajabhats history and the western teachers there. Back to topic perhaps?

Goski,

please do tell us more about your wise crack on Rachapat University.. It is a very good University and I happen to know many students that go there and they are all intelligent people. I also know a few of the western teachers that teach there during the terms (not summer courses) and they are good teachers.

I really dont want to digress of the topic but it has me absolutely baffled how one can make a statement like that.

As the O.P and though I agree with you maybe this is off-topic.

Why not start a new thread..........Chiang rai schools/ Universities.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, why not? I won´t reply to that anyway since I don´t understand why it is so tremendously important that jokes/sarcasm have to be explained in the most intricate way before someone actually can take it for what it is.

Rajabhat, Chulalongkorn, Mae Fha Luang etc. They are universities and let´s keep it at that then.

If you are looking for the taste of authentic Mexican food, then no, the place by Overbrook isn't it. But if you're longing for something that tastes almost Mexican, then it's O.K. I'm sure there are many good Mexican cuisine restaurants in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but we're talking about Chiang Rai.

There are VERY few good Mexican restaurants in Asia, but Chiang Mai has recently been blessed with Miquel's which is authentic California style Mexican food which is many people's favorite.

The gracious host is Mike who started the famous Mike's Original Hamburger chain here in Chiang Mai. He often recites poetry, quotes the philosophers and plays classical music to keep the customers entertained. :o

If you are looking for the taste of authentic Mexican food, then no, the place by Overbrook isn't it. But if you're longing for something that tastes almost Mexican, then it's O.K. I'm sure there are many good Mexican cuisine restaurants in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but we're talking about Chiang Rai.

There are VERY few good Mexican restaurants in Asia, but Chiang Mai has recently been blessed with Miquel's which is authentic California style Mexican food which is many people's favorite.

The gracious host is Mike who started the famous Mike's Original Hamburger chain here in Chiang Mai. He often recites poetry, quotes the philosophers and plays classical music to keep the customers entertained. :o

If His mexican is anything like his hamburgers it is sure to be great food. The burgers were fantastic!

I believe he has sold the burger joint though is that correct anyone?

Has anyone been to a relatively new restaurant on the way into CR from the airport on the lefthand side. It is a 2 story building before you get to the bridge. It is all lit up and it always seems to have a lot of people in it....

Can anyone comment on this or have heard about it?

cheers In The Rai!

If His mexican is anything like his hamburgers it is sure to be great food. The burgers were fantastic!

I believe he has sold the burger joint though is that correct anyone?

Talking about burgers.... Me and John were out on the bikes today and stopped at Barrys golfclub (the old airport) for hitting some golfballs and for lunch.

Barry has a new girl there that makes fantastic burgers with good bread, chips and a fantastic sallad!

Best burgers in Chiang Rai that I have had, I might even say the best burgers I have had in Thailand :o:D:D

:D I had the opportunity to go to the Chiangrai Resort? To find it you pass hamburger 1 in Bandu and Sinthanee 5 and keep going towards the mountain for about 7km's your will see a sign in red and white locating the Resort. I had the Pork Chops and WoW they actually prepared them properly!

Everyone enjoyed the Food and the service was good. They have a really big fish bond full of fish, if you ask they will give you food to feed them.

The place is off the beat and track but it's darn good food :o

:o You can complain at the Main office for the whole complex, they have english speaking staff and they do care! If you had gone there and pointed out the girl in question she may have changed her tune when she saw the managment. Sorry you had to sit near a mess, hope the food was ok :D

Tried out the new night bazaar in Bandoo last night.

Terrible selection of food, nice music and setting but nobody there.

Left and went back to the original in Chiang Rai. The food is ok there but when we arrived, we had as usual, great difficulty getting a seat.

Eventually someone left and we got a table. But what a mess, sea shells all over the place, beer bottles, plates and fish bones under the table.

The waitress cleaned the table with the dirtiest rag I ever saw. I asked her to clean under the table but she said it wasn't her job and walked away.

Where do you complain? nowhere.