Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

:o Pat's guest house has a killer burger! almost 1 lb of beef! Good for 2

Having lived in Chiang Rai for over 3 years, it is surprising sometimes to hear of a restaurant you did'nt know about.

One I know , The Family Bakehouse serves the finest steak ever.

Do you know of any good restaurants?

• 2 weeks later...

We just came home from a very nice, good, tasty and not too expensive meal at a rather new Vietnamese restaurant.

You can find it on the Main Road, almost opposite where you turn left on the Disco Street (Sperm Club, Par Club etc etc).

We just came home from a very nice, good, tasty and not too expensive meal at a rather new Vietnamese restaurant.

You can find it on the Main Road, almost opposite where you turn left on the Disco Street (Sperm Club, Par Club etc etc).

Good news. I love po pia.

By the way, svenivan can u pm me with the details on your avatar? I can't see it. and thanks for the pai post. good stuff. :o

Svenian,

The main road you are referring to is that the (super highway) that Big C is on or (Phahanyothin) the other side of that soi the par club and sperm club are on? I am very happy about this. I love Vietnamese.

Cheers.

Also Thomas,

Pats guesthouse is where in Chiangrai. Sorry I have no idea but always happy to try a new burger..

In The Rai!

Edited by In the Rai!

Svenian,

The main road you are referring to is that the (super highway) that Big C is on or (Phahanyothin) the other side of that soi the par club and sperm club are on? I am very happy about this. I love Vietnamese.

Cheers.

Also Thomas,

Pats guesthouse is where in Chiangrai. Sorry I have no idea but always happy to try a new burger..

In The Rai!

What we call the Main Road is the one starting at the Superhighway beside Little Duck hotel and ends at the policestations.

If you stand at the busstation then you can take Busstation road to the left to Superhighway or to the right to Main Road.

I heard someone said that Pats guesthouse is close to Overbrook Hospital.

Having lived in Chiang Rai for over 3 years, it is surprising sometimes to hear of a restaurant you did'nt know about.

One I know , The Family Bakehouse serves the finest steak ever.

Do you know of any good restaurants?

There is that restaraunt on the main road: I think it is owned by a Dutch man and his Thai wife. It serves thai and western food and, man, they have the best tacos there. Very unique how he does it. Serves good portions of food at a good price. Also, you can get an American breakfast there at a nice price also. I want to say something like the "Dutchman's House"? I think I am very wrong on the name of course...any help out there? The establishment has a Dutch maritime atmosphere going for it. This is driving me crazy. It also has an itty bitty internet shop you can use for free if you eat there.

There is that restaraunt on the main road: I think it is owned by a Dutch man and his Thai wife. It serves thai and western food and, man, they have the best tacos there. Very unique how he does it. Serves good portions of food at a good price. Also, you can get an American breakfast there at a nice price also. I want to say something like the "Dutchman's House"? I think I am very wrong on the name of course...any help out there? The establishment has a Dutch maritime atmosphere going for it. This is driving me crazy. It also has an itty bitty internet shop you can use for free if you eat there.

What about " Old Dutch" ? :o

Svenian,

Cheers.

Also Thomas,

In The Rai!

What we call the Main Road is the one starting at the Superhighway beside Little Duck hotel and ends at the policestations.

If you stand at the busstation then you can take Busstation road to the left to Superhighway or to the right to Main Road.

I heard someone said that Pats guesthouse is close to Overbrook Hospital.

Thank you kindly Svenian,

I am very keen to try this place out.

In The Rai!

• 2 weeks later...

There is an Italian Restaurant, Anto and Chatchada, that has very good real Italian food. We tried soup, sallad, spaghetti and pizza and everything was delicious.

You can find this restaurant on Sathanpayaban Rd, the road that passes the Goverment Hospital. If you go Main Road south from busstation then you turn right at first trafficlight. It is on your left side after 50 meter.

It is a small restaurant but very nice inside and the food is very good. They have a good variety of nice Italian vines but I could not try any of them because of this ####### Khao Panzaa.

But I will next time!!

:o:D:D

Been to a new restaurant again. It starts to be a bad habit.

We had Pan Pak Rouan, Tom Yam Khung and an Isaan dish with pork, chilli and Thai herbs. And of course soft drinks and water.

The food was very, very good, service was excellent and the bill was low! :o

There was live music and also Thai Traditional Dances.

I can recomend The Teak House!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum and have only been in town for a few months but on the advice of this conversation i tried out a few resturants this week. - First was the golf course resturant for a 'big bear burger'. it is the best part of a kilogram of meat on an oval shaped bun. All the add ons as well (except beetroot) - It was good and I managed to finish the monster. About 300 baht. Next was the Mexican accross from Overbrook - again a monster serve quesadilla and burito for my girlfriend. about 250 B ea.

Next was the chicken stand near the old clocktower. I have to throw the best value ribbon at this one - 15 B each for some big bits of fried chicken.

I'll have a couple of nights on vegetables before i put in another update.

I'm new to this forum and have only been in town for a few months but on the advice of this conversation i tried out a few resturants this week. - First was the golf course resturant for a 'big bear burger'. it is the best part of a kilogram of meat on an oval shaped bun. All the add ons as well (except beetroot) - It was good and I managed to finish the monster. About 300 baht. Next was the Mexican accross from Overbrook - again a monster serve quesadilla and burito for my girlfriend. about 250 B ea.

Next was the chicken stand near the old clocktower. I have to throw the best value ribbon at this one - 15 B each for some big bits of fried chicken.

I'll have a couple of nights on vegetables before i put in another update.

Loving your work TheBastshirt.. keep it up.

Just a quesrion though. Would you rate the burger at the golf course the bast you have ever had? It's on his card thats all.. :o:D

The buffet of the Wiang Inn (11 - 14) is very recommendable.

I would call it excellent. Many good salades, fine dishes (western and Thai) and great cakes and icecream.

140 Baht. Clean, relaxed, upmarket atmosphere.

If you usually are dressed in an old T-shirt, wearing short pants and flipflops I can recommend the buffet of the Rimkok Hotel (11 - 14). Very laid down atmosphere and (mostly too loud) live music. A much bigger choice than the Wiang Inn. 130 Baht.

I must have had a much more simple hamburger at Barry's golfcourse, less in size and price (175 Baht) and I thought this was a giant already.

I am curious if Thebastshirt will try out the Bakery (after about two kilometer to the left from King Mengrai on the road to Panjamorn/Wiang Chai - big yellow sign) for its gigantic and really excellent steaks (beef, pork, oistrich and salmon).

Between 180 and 240 Baht.

<deleted>, I had the buffet at the Rimkok today and as usual I had to try most of the dishes. It's now five hours later and I still hardly can move.

Limbo :o

Yes, Wiang Inn has a very nice buffet where you can spot me almost once a week (it´s easy to do regarding my size nowadays). Isn´t the Bakery about 500 meters into that road? 2 kilometers seems too far.

I have never tried Rimkok, is the selection actually bigger there? People say so at least.

Yes, Wiang Inn has a very nice buffet where you can spot me almost once a week (it´s easy to do regarding my size nowadays). Isn´t the Bakery about 500 meters into that road? 2 kilometers seems too far.

I have never tried Rimkok, is the selection actually bigger there? People say so at least.

It really is almost two kilometers. It is at the end of the soi to the left about fifty meters before you have the last soi to the left leading to the stadium (sanaam kila). After that you have the open fields.

Yes, the selection is bigger, but if this is an advantage is up to everybody to decide for him/her self.

I personally prefer the quality of the Wiang Inn.

For me personally (I am Dutch!) the Rimkok is desastrous.

Yes, the selection is bigger, but if this is an advantage is up to everybody to decide for him/her self.

Limbo :D

Been told by a couple of friends that the Rimkok is better and dif-my lew. :o

Edited by mumbojumbo

It really is almost two kilometers. It is at the end of the soi to the left about fifty meters before you have the last soi to the left leading to the stadium (sanaam kila). After that you have the open fields.

Isnt it called the family steakhouse or something like that...?

:D:D

Having lived here for 8 years, my main observation is the lack of variety. Easily 90% of the thousands of restaurants serve blah Thai food. Of the handful left over, my favorite is the tiny Muslim place. To get there, stand in front of the 7-11 that's 1 block west of where the old clock tower was - walk 1 block north down that small road - and it's on the left, adjoining the Moslem temple. Best chicken and the only yellow rice in town worth mentioning - all for 30 baht! Excellent, every one of the hundreds of times I've been there!

Chiang Rai is still awash in MSG - especially the Chinese run places which comprise at least 50% of all places. It's rare to find a wash basin with a piece of soap, and if so, it's probably a tiny sliver. The muslim place mentioned above is one of the extremely few places with a bar of soap bigger than a pine nut.

Still no Indian food. Only one or two Mexican places - neither of which does the job satisfactorily. Mexican dishes are a hundred times healthier than Thai food, and with all the ingrediants being low cost and available, it should be relatively cheap. I wind up cooking for myself - because frankly there just aren't many decent choices here for eating out. The only place I've found that can fry a decent egg is Chian guest house - and their fries are good also. I challenge anyone to find any restaurant in Thailand that can make an omelette with just eggs - gently fried in a bit of oil or butter - no spices, no sugar, no MSG. It's simply not possible. 100% of Thai cooks insist on slathering eggs in oil, and stuffing the same type of things in the omelette: raw onions, bits of gristled pork, and maybe a couple slices of tomato that taste like wax. Perhaps in 10 to 20 years, some Thai cooks will wake up to the exciting, tasteful and healthy possibilities of for omelets. Until then, get used to old oil dripping down your chin.

Dear Brahmburger,

The Bamboo House in Chiang Khong would be an excellent reason for you (and anybody else) to make a culinary tour to Chiang Khong. Mexican food, omelettes (!), homemade bread and excellent (cheap) Chilean wines.

Terrace with view over the Mekong and perfect, not too loud music. A great ambiance.

About sixhundred meters from the boat pier.

Please try it out next time you are there. Superb! You will be surprised!

A new 'Muslim food' place has opened on the Rimkok Raod, not far from the most famous fish restaurant of Chiang Rai, the Ek Oh Cha (opposite side of the road, about fivehundred meters west). I am very curious about that one.

And yes, in the rai, the name of what is probably the best place for steaks in Chiang Rai is 'Family, bakery and steakhouse'.

Tomorrow I will go for the chicken in the place you described. Looking forward to it.

Thanks!

I was happy though that there is a Lebanese restaurant next to the Thai Airways office that has ok food for ok prices.

Saying that Da Vinci is the only Italian restaurant in Chiang Rai is a pure lie since if you continue south on the same road and turn right at the next intersection AFTER the Meuang Tong restaurant you will find another one. Haven´t eaten there so I don´t know if I should recommend it or not.

I have found 4 italian restaurants in ChiangRai and they are located not very far from the Night Bazaar.

One is The DavinCi,not sure if it's the best one but I love its 'pizza salmone affumicato(or whatever they call it)'.

Another one is the one that goski talked about,I can't remember its name exactly ...'Pirate'...maybe.My italian friend took me there and ordered me the pasta that came with parmesan cheese..well..it's really 'pasta and parmesan cheese'...Just that!I didn't like it as much as I expected but I'm not saying that it's not a good restaurant.You just have to order the right thing and never let your vegetarian italian friend order your food if you are a meat eater.The restaurant is running by an italian guy and his wife;they seem nice and their banana pancake sounds cool enough to visit the restaurant again.

The third restaurant is located next to the Edison and the massage place(which I never take a glimpse long enough to notice its name).I haven't been there yet so I can't say anything about it.

The 4th restaurant is on the SankongRoad not very far from the new tutor center called 'The Brain'.I heven't been there yet.

• 8 months later...

Ok when McG and I come up to Chiang Rai we will probably arrive on Friday afternoon and leave Sunday. So in between we will be looking for places to eat and the odd beer or two :o

What are your suggestions? I have read the thread but want to make sure we don't pick a great sounding restaurant and find out is has closed up.

thanks

CB

Ok when McG and I come up to Chiang Rai we will probably arrive on Friday afternoon and leave Sunday. So in between we will be looking for places to eat and the odd beer or two :o

What are your suggestions? I have read the thread but want to make sure we don't pick a great sounding restaurant and find out is has closed up.

thanks

CB

KFC at Big C looks good. Might have to BYO beer though.

CrowBoy is a gourmand, who favors pickled larks tongues in aspic, a nice watercress salad, accompanied with a Puligny Montrachet, well chilled. Don't know if KFC will work well for him.... :o

I like som tam Isan style, the spicier the better; 15 B is my upper price limit. And I favor night markets, lite by kerosene lanterns......

I'm sure we'll find a happy median in CR, and we both look forward to our visit!

McG

The restaurant in Night Bazaar in front of the stage is not bad . (Not the Yellow tables even if that is quite a good place too.)

You can have bottle of wine or BYO, the menu is a an inch thick so it takes some time to order but food is good and if you are lucky you will be entertained by beautiful women dancing and singing on the stage. If they are not there it will be traditional thai dancing by beautiful girls!

And from there it is only 50 meters to Reggie Bar that also is located inside Night Bazaar. Not open every night and never before 8.30-9.00. But a good place to meet some locals and listen to good music.

:o:D:D

Hullo everyone, I will be arriving on 6th October for another ten weeks in paradise,my third in Chiang Rai and reading these threads has started my taste buds watering.

I was suprised no-one mentioned Mogatan(spelling) as I frequented the establishment just along from the mengrai statue on the left with pine benches, is it no longer there?

I must say this was a pleasant discovery in Jan 06 for me as I like b.b.q. and cooking.

I am also a frequenter of the Rimcock Buffet and would enjoy to hook up for social gatherings time by time.

P.s. this is my first forum and computer