Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

That's a very interesting aspect Brahm. Generalizing that because a cheap eatery is full it must mean that most Thais are cheap. Not even a single circumstance as well like what age group, time of the day, weekend etc etc. Doesn't really fit well logically in my book. Fair enough that western owned places shut down, that happens all the time and Chiang Rai is not a place for western food unless you're aiming at coach tours, e.g Ayes etc. We all know that. Well, we should anyway.

I could probably mention that every time I go to a more expensive Thai restaurat, there are alot of Thais in there but I don't say that means all of them have alot of cash. Simple logic and much more correct since Thailand is as any other country in the world with both people with a little money, and those with alot. And they of course, choose their place accordingly.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If anyone else misses their surkål I can give them a tip. Go to the market and buy either white or red cabbage. Boil it with a little bit of water and vinegar, salt, whole pepper corns and maybe a bay leaf or two. Basic cooking for the farangs with some spare time, about 30 minutes.

If anyone else misses their surkål I can give them a tip. Go to the market and buy either white or red cabbage. Boil it with a little bit of water and vinegar, salt, whole pepper corns and maybe a bay leaf or two. Basic cooking for the farangs with some spare time, about 30 minutes.

Sounds exciting, boiled cabbage with a vinegary taste. Thanks for the tip Goski. :)

Well, it's not a Swedish recipe and looking into some from your own pitch we have culinary disasters as "cullen skink", "herring in oatmeal"and of course the highly technical "claggum" with the explanation: "It is a very simple recipe and MAY be suitable for younger adults to make IF THEY ARE SUPERVISED". Ingredients: One teacup of cold water and two teacups of black treacle.

Well, it's not a Swedish recipe and looking into some from your own pitch we have culinary disasters as "cullen skink", "herring in oatmeal"and of course the highly technical "claggum" with the explanation: "It is a very simple recipe and MAY be suitable for younger adults to make IF THEY ARE SUPERVISED". Ingredients: One teacup of cold water and two teacups of black treacle.

Takes years of experience to get that one just right. Also used for sealing roofs.

Edited by chang35baht

• 4 weeks later...
Big C has a nice South African Shiraz, Mont Claire Bin 9 Reserve at 285B a bottle that is very drinkable.

I stayed at Laliuna resort and hotel on Sannambin Road near the old airport prior to eventually moving here and they have a great selection of steaks, as well as a delicious Butter Chicken-get down there!

Big C has a nice South African Shiraz, Mont Claire Bin 9 Reserve at 285B a bottle that is very drinkable.

Following your rec I picked up a bottle of the Bin 9 today at Macro, 285B...typing this now with nice wine buzz. For about a year I hoarded 'Red Center' Merlot/Cab (Australian) from Macro at about 400B a bottle...great stuff but no longer available. This is nice...very peppery/ripe, but you get what you pay for. Thanks for the rec. A great bottle for the price.

Edited by KhaoDam

• 1 month later...

This section needs some real upto date information . Many of the places are no longer and as someone said , no sooner some farang owned places open up , they soon close. Mainly due to competition in the area and also the lack of tourism . The local Expats tend to go to the best places that are also the cheapest and to keep your bread and butter customers is most important as without the locals , trade dies and places close. Rent is HIGH for building rentals in the centre of town , 30k bht per month on average and add that to the cost of equiptment , staff, electricity etc etc , the profit margin is zero unless your packed out every day .

If your seriously thinking of opening somewhere here , its best to come and do your homework . check the place out , see what the trade is like in the area at all times of the day, otherwise you will be throwing your money away .

Bars are equally dire here at the moment . Rentals per month can range from about 5,000 bht per month , with no key money required but you have to

set the place up (dont forget all the legal paperwork from the police ) .

Bars also already set up can cost anything from 5-30k per month and generally Key money for the intereior assets / goodwill is required. Again , at the moment the trade is dead , I would think near on every bar in the area are either at a loss every month after all deductions or possibly breaking even . Those bars making a profit ? Does anyone want to lose face ? Thai or Foreign owned or run.

• 3 weeks later...

On approaching the traffic lights at Den Ha from the market direction , on the right hand side of the road is a car wash and coffee shop. The Muslim Thai people who own and run it also do CURRY. Beef , Chicken or my favourite LAMB. Served with yellow rice, roti and sweet cucumber side dish and mint relish.

In my opinion the best curry for miles and only about 60 bht for the lamb inc.

Deeeeeeeeelish.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds exciting, boiled cabbage with a vinegary taste. Thanks for the tip Goski. :D

Me too, thanks Goski :D

I tried out the new one next to the veterinarian at San Khong Luang, called 'Steak Lovers'.

Prices inbetween 50 and 100 Baht. Nice ambience, food good.

Had the fish with the white sauce. Little bit too sweet, but absolutly good.

I was on my way to have a pat thai at the Akha ladies place, but they were closed.

And I wasn't hungry enough for Barry's smashing/bombing hamburgers, so I cultivated my experimental mood.

Barry's hamburgers number one,

Rico's hamburgers number two.

So far everybody agrees.

On the way home I picked up a couple of beers and some pays (pai's, pastries) at Tic's, Jason's lovely wife, on the San Khong Luang.

I went to the Chat House before to try their hamburgers, but when I arrived the place was full.

Hi everybody, still there?

Limbo :)

On approaching the traffic lights at Den Ha from the market direction , on the right hand side of the road is a car wash and coffee shop. The Muslim Thai people who own and run it also do CURRY. Beef , Chicken or my favourite LAMB. Served with yellow rice, roti and sweet cucumber side dish and mint relish.

In my opinion the best curry for miles and only about 60 bht for the lamb inc.

Deeeeeeeeelish.

I tried the place last Friday. Very friendly lady and pretty daughter. Kao Man Gai Muslim style was good. On a par with the muslim restaurant just of Tanalai Road next to the mosque. Same quality food, Denha a shade dearer.

The place was empty and I haven't seen anyone eating there whenever I pass by.

They said they had Wi-fi and they gave me the password. Couldn't get a signal, they said the transmitter was in their house, I think not a good output although it was quite near.

Sounds exciting, boiled cabbage with a vinegary taste. Thanks for the tip Goski. :D

I tried out the new one next to the veterinarian at San Khong Luang, called 'Steak Lovers'.

I was on my way to have a pat thai at the Akha ladies place, but they were closed.

And I wasn't hungry enough for Barry's smashing/bombing hamburgers, so I cultivated my experimental mood.

So far everybody agrees.

On the way home I picked up a couple of beers and some pays (pai's, pastries) at Tic's, Jason's lovely wife, on the San Khong Luang.

I went to the Chat House before to try their hamburgers, but when I arrived the place was full.

Where the Akha Ladies place? I like Pad Thai for lunch! Can't stand bergers!

Try the soups at the Chat House Tom Yum and Tom Kah Gai are delish, The breakfasts are still good, English Brekie with fresh coffee -80 baht, nice friendly well run place.

So far everybody agrees.

Went to "Steak lovers" with my family. I had the fish, wife - pork streak with tasty sauce and our boy had a good size chicken steak. All delish, none was tough as it is so often in Thai Steak places.

Agree, nice ambience and very pleasant couple running it. Cost just over 200 baht for the three of us.

• 1 month later...
Where the Akha Ladies place? I like Pad Thai for lunch! Can't stand bergers!

Try the soups at the Chat House Tom Yum and Tom Kah Gai are delish, The breakfasts are still good, English Brekie with fresh coffee -80 baht, nice friendly well run place.

Of course you know the place that engages the waitresses with the most beautiful belly-buttons in town, the restaurant at this little lake, with the music playing on a raft that slowly moves over the water, Kumchaonang, Soi 6 of Sang Kong Luang, famous for its seafood and fish.

Let's say that you went there with friends that are allergic to the view of belly-buttons. So you go out of the place, go to the left, pass the estate of Khun Kaj, the owner of the only Rolls Royce in town (a Corniche cabriolet) and reaching the T-crossing at the end of this soi the ladies run their restaurant on the right corner.

If they would be closed, continue to the right, take to the left 'on top' of the road (crossing Wat Doi Kwai) and you will find Barry's golf course at your right after five hundred meters.

As we all know, Barry and Rico make the best ones in town. Hamburgers with french fries of course!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to recommend a place we ate at tonight.

Just off the corner of route 1211 and Sankhongluang Road heading towards the hospital on your right. (The first set of lights coming into town on the old CM road).

Great garden setting, we had a couple of starters, green curry chicken and sweet and sour shrimp then a platter of big bbq shrimp for 3; 2 large Leo beer for the visitor, soda waters for me and the Mrs for a total of around 750B.

The staff were young and enthusiastic rather than professionally skilled... we had to ask for the bill twice, and the visitors eyes nearly fell out of his head when he saw a couple of the mini-skirted "hostesses" :)

Agreed, there are cheaper places around but this is worth a look for a special meal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Went to "Steak lovers" with my family. I had the fish, wife - pork streak with tasty sauce and our boy had a good size chicken steak. All delish, none was tough as it is so often in Thai Steak places.

Agree, nice ambience and very pleasant couple running it. Cost just over 200 baht for the three of us.

It is the new style of Thai owned steakhouses: clean, new, well designed interiors and food that tickles not only the palate but is a pleasure for the eye as well (sorry for my English).

And this in combination with polite, adequate and efficient service. At very modest prices as well.

I love places like "Steak Lovers" and it feels good to support young and dedicated Thai entrepreneurs.

• 3 weeks later...
Of course you know the place that engages the waitresses with the most beautiful belly-buttons in town, the restaurant at this little lake, with the music playing on a raft that slowly moves over the water, Kumchaonang, Soi 6 of Sang Kong Luang, famous for its seafood and fish.

hi there...can you please give more directions as to how to find the belly button place? if i were standing in front of the big estate house looking at the house which way would i go?...is it located right on the lake? are you talking about dancing shrimp? thanks for any help....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Chiang Rai seems to be lacking more that a few decent Farang eating places. :)

If you saw the size of some of the local farang here, you would disagree about that statement.

Some of the better places are disguised with only Thai writting to keep out the farang.

Hello my friends

You are right about Farangs in Chiang Rai and do suggest to the owners of Better places for Menus in English then welcome all Farangs. Remember most of farangs are very nice. Only few Farangs are ugly. Farangs allow Thais to earn their living in Farang countries...some even own business and homes... I myself was able to live in Farang country for so many years...thanks for posting your honest opinion. My take.

• 3 weeks later...
Chiang Rai seems to be lacking more that a few decent Farang eating places. :)

If you saw the size of some of the local farang here, you would disagree about that statement.

Some of the better places are disguised with only Thai writting to keep out the farang.

Hello my friends

You are right about Farangs in Chiang Rai and do suggest to the owners of Better places for Menus in English then welcome all Farangs. Remember most of farangs are very nice. Only few Farangs are ugly. Farangs allow Thais to earn their living in Farang countries...some even own business and homes... I myself was able to live in Farang country for so many years...thanks for posting your honest opinion. My take.

what do you say?

So far everybody agrees.

Hi,

Can you pls advise the location of this Steak lovers restaurant. It sounds like just the place for me. Moving to Chiang Rai in about 2 weeks from now.

Thanks

Tim