Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

Kae's Mexican Restarant is now at the Night Bizzare Market.

Souht-West corner of the Food Stalls next to the WCH Hamburger stand in there (not confuse with WCH on the main road).

Open from about 6:30pm til about 8 or 9pm or until she runs out of food.

night bazzare thats near the old bust station right?

was that bus station or bust station....

I saw a farang there once who looked like he had been busted.

He was being put on the Bangkok bus by three senior police officers and seemed to be recovering from a VERY hard night.

They stood there and watched it drive off too, weren't taking a chance on him sneaking back off. :lol:

I saw a farang there once who looked like he had been busted.

He was being put on the Bangkok bus by three senior police officers and seemed to be recovering from a VERY hard night.

They stood there and watched it drive off too, weren't taking a chance on him sneaking back off. :lol:

That's how I ended up in Bangkok, that time? :unsure:Holy, moly...I have been wondering about that for so long, now. Thanks for the memory jog! PP

Was introduced to ' il pirato ' on the old Chiang Mai road (about 250 m before you reach Deana Plaza) by friends on Saturday eve. Tiny little place which looks like a converted small business shop and can seat maybe 10 people at a squeeze. Not overwhelmingly high in ambience, but....! Apparently the owner - a gentleman from Verona - used to run a larger scale business near the Night Bazaar. Now provides a small menu focusing on pasta and pizza. Between us we tried 4 types of pizza - all were excellent. Paper thin crust/bases, prime cheeses and meats. I had a great 12inch pizza called 'bunga-bunga' which featured black olives, crisped courgettes etc and was the nicest pizza I've eaten here. Think he is only open in evenings.

If you want a quick and tasty lunch in Central and haven't tried the Food plaza upstairs then we recommend you try them out. One booth called ลีนา ( Lina) does a nice chicken or beef mince dish with cherry tomatoes, rice, condiments and lemon grass clear soup for about 40 bahts, another we have tried does good beef or pork noodle soup.

Ideal for that pre or post cinema meal.

• 4 weeks later...

The Italian 'Restaurant Da Vinci' (at the T-crossing of the Pahonyothin Rd and the road to the busstation) starts to attract more Thai local customers than tourists and expats.

It is the only Italian restaurant with a stone-oven fired by wood.

The Thai Chiang Rai people know the difference between a carton pizza and a real one. And more and more expats are catching up with them.

At the international restaurant 'Aye's Place' (fifty meters further, next to the Seven/Eleven, you can order from their menue as well.

I only tried the lasagna and it was perfect!

Limbo, at your service.

Hey Limbo I started to believe your postings until you mentioned the 'Italian 'Restaurant Da Vinci' which, I have had the displeasure of visiting twice over the past 3/4 years. If you like pizza that tastes like cardboard with a topping so thin it could be butter spread on it then that's the place to go man! This also applies to the international restaurant 'Aye's Place where, any reference to food was made by accident! As a general guide if you want good Western food in Chiang Rai then drive (or take a green bus) to Chiang Mai!

The Italian 'Restaurant Da Vinci' (at the T-crossing of the Pahonyothin Rd and the road to the busstation) starts to attract more Thai local customers than tourists and expats.

The Thai Chiang Rai people know the difference between a carton pizza and a real one. And more and more expats are catching up with them.

At the international restaurant 'Aye's Place' (fifty meters further, next to the Seven/Eleven, you can order from their menue as well.

Limbo, at your service.

Hey Limbo I started to believe your postings until you mentioned the 'Italian 'Restaurant Da Vinci' which, I have had the displeasure of visiting twice over the past 3/4 years. If you like pizza that tastes like cardboard with a topping so thin it could be butter spread on it then that's the place to go man! This also applies to the international restaurant 'Aye's Place where, any reference to food was made by accident! As a general guide if you want good Western food in Chiang Rai then drive (or take a green bus) to Chiang Mai!

Did you notice the date? i.e. 2005

Limbo, at your service.

Did you notice the date? i.e. 2005

As I hope they do not serve 6 year old pizzas it is still a relevent post. Thanks for the heads up.

Personally I think Don's Cafe does a good a range of Western food at a reasonable price as you would find in the north but how's any tourist going to find that?

His Tacos are definitely better than those at the Chiang Mai Saloon.

Don's is Tex - Mex, and Kae's is Baja Style Mexican food. Both are good in their own right. Just depends on a person's preferred taste.

Nice to have the choices and style options of Mex food here in CR.

I like Don's western food. But must admit when I am there, I usually only eat the Tex - Mex. :Dave:

Just need a Mariachi Band :guitar:

Superb: Manee Dheva

Trafficlight at Ban Pasang (three kilometer north of Mae Chan),

the road to Doi Mae Salong, after ten kilometer at your left.

High quality Thai kitchen and a great ambiance in the most

beautiful surroundings you can dream of.

Highly recommended!

Limbo :yohan:

post-6305-0-02677900-1320453013_thumb.jppost-6305-0-43271800-1320453038_thumb.jppost-6305-0-59231900-1320453068_thumb.jppost-6305-0-93893700-1320453211_thumb.jp

Limbo, wasn't it you wrote that that restaurant toward Mae Jaan, across from the Cosmo station, had good breakfasts?

Not so, in my opinion. And the sign says open 9:00 a.m., but at 9 the 2 workers there said 9:30,

and somehow I get a strong impression they don't care if they have customers or not.

Did they really want clientele, maybe they should've built nearer Ban Du...

or, I know, put up a sign for Coffee Boran!

Went to Manee D's after seeing Limbo's post - Thanks. It's just as nice as the pictures. We had so-so local food for lunch. They're not shy about the prices. According to the waiter, there will be an open house on the 24th of Nov... 3-10,000 baht per person!

Limbo, wasn't it you wrote that that restaurant toward Mae Jaan, across from the Cosmo station, had good breakfasts?

Not so, in my opinion. And the sign says open 9:00 a.m., but at 9 the 2 workers there said 9:30,

and somehow I get a strong impression they don't care if they have customers or not.

Did they really want clientele, maybe they should've built nearer Ban Du...

or, I know, put up a sign for Coffee Boran!

I don't think it was me Joel. Actually I'm sure it wasn't me.

I never had breakfast there and I wouldn't write about a breakfast

if I never would have tried it. So it must have been somebody else.

So please (serious tone!), if there is anybody around here who wrote

a good word about the breakfast of the 'restaurant towards Mae Jaan',

show yourself accountable for your judgements :blink:

I suppose you mean the Teak House.

That is indeed about ten kilometers before Mae Chan. About three kilometers

(yes Yoel, it might be three and a half) after the traffic lights in front of

Mae Fah Luang University you will see a Cosmo gasoline station at your left.

A couple of hundred meters further there is a U-turn.

If you turn there you will find the Teak House after twenty or thirty meters.

It's not in the central reservation, but at your left.

Excellent kitchen I can say now, as the judgment is not longer based on my

judgement alone but on the opinion of many other foreigners living here.

It's not a fast food place, so it takes some time before you are served.

I chose for the option to ask their telephone number enabling myself to order

by telephone (indeed, you guessed that already:) to shorten the waiting time.

I order 'take-away', if that is correct English.

Thanks for telling us Joel that it doesn't seem to be the right place to

have a breakfast shortly after nine. Anybody in the room who actually had

a breakfast there? How was it? And could you give us an estimate of the

waiting time?

If I read Joel right, he was even refused breakfast. I hope you wasn't too hungry

Joel and that you made it to Mae Chan (lovely pat thai place after about fifty

meters at your right turning into the road next to the post-office.

For a second time serious now!

Joel's remark about staff that doesn't seem to want to sell anything, is

very interesting. From the viewpoint of foreigners you find it in many

places, car dealerships not in the least. But that would be another topic.

Is it true or not?

Dear Rijb,

I'm happy that your over-all experience was good at the Manee Dheva, but so-so

is not good enough. Please, if you have ideas for improvement or even complaints,

send me a personal message and I will forward it to the owners.

I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Edit: my excuses Rijb, of course you can, probably even should, contact the owners directly.

Edited by Limbo

I had posted that their food was fairly good. But I never commented about breakfast there, and I don't think anyone else did either.

There was some discussion a few months ago about the Teak House having a very good hamburger.

I have not tried the hamburger there. Had a Nice Steak and Mia had a Thai dish which was excellent.

Last visit there, they Do Not make Thai Food anymore. Only Western Food and Coffee.

I did not find their staff disinterested, but not imposing on their clients when eating and drinking.

I found the staff and atmosphere unobtrusive and pleasant for Thailand.

My Teak House experience was very good. Great Cheeseburger for Thailand and I ended up carryout their special of the day (three varieties of sausages and mashed potatoes) which was also very good.

Edited by scorpio1945

My Teak House was very good. Great Cheeseburger for Thailand and I ended up carryout their special of the day (three sausages and mashed potatoes) which was also very good.

Their pasta arriata (? spelling) is also v. good - lots of black olives and nice dressing - a nice light luncheon.

• 2 weeks later...

A reply to a question concerning the location of the Salungkham Restaurant in another thread.

'Salungkham Restaurant'

The restaurant is situated next to the Catholic Church of Chiang Rai

at the same super highway where, about 20 km to the north and at

the same side, the Mae Fah Luang University is situated.

The restaurant is nowadays famous in Chiang Rai for its grill and for genuine

northern and Thai food. It's sausages are, by the Thai public, considered to

be among the best in town.

After the 'Bierstube' of Karl-Heinz it was one of the first restaurants

that served steaks, when the 'knife-and fork' problem still was an obstacle

of the first order for many. Khun Damm, the owner, had been living abroad

for many years and did the same what Khun Puminn would do many years later

in his now sadly enough closed Family House: to introduce quality western

food to the people of Chiang Rai.

It has a good ambiance supported by a well-balanced rustique style and you

can choose to sit inside the restaurant or outside in the garden.

Nice to hear that you discovered and enjoyed the quality of its meat products!

Sorry to say, but I haven't been there for several months so I don't have

the latest information on what kind of products they sell over the counter.

The location of the Roman Catholic Church you can find in this thread:

Me and my better half were to Eak Pho Channah (or something similar) and had great Thai food. The fish soup were the best I have had in Thailand and the schrimp (khung) in yellow curry was great.

The place is not the most beautiful restaurant in town but the food is the best genuine Thai food. And prices are very reasonable.

I added it on our Map with Restaurants in Chiang Rai

;)B):)

Me and my better half were to Eak Pho Channah (or something similar) and had great Thai food. The fish soup were the best I have had in Thailand and the schrimp (khung) in yellow curry was great.

The place is not the most beautiful restaurant in town but the food is the best genuine Thai food. And prices are very reasonable.

I added it on our Map with Restaurants in Chiang Rai

;)B):)

Eak-O-Cha

My compliments Sven! The name you mention, Eak Pho Channah, is well conceived.

For those that are in the process of opening a restaurant it could be a usefull

suggestion :lol:

Fish soup, shrimp curry, good Thai food and reasonable prices in a dull restaurant,

that points in the direction of a fish restaurant. It sounds, even the name, on all

points similar to Eak-O-Cha. That's why I first thought that you meant it.

Looking at the map I realized that it wasn't.

Eak-O-Cha is north of the river and Eak-Pho-Channah south of it on the road to

Wiang Chai. Is it in a big wooden Lanna-style house, close to the old now defunct

swimmingpool, formerly famous for its snakes?

Eak-O-Cha, also worth mentioning, however is situated at the Ban Mai Road

opposite the St.Mary School.

The Ban Mai/Rimkok Road is the first road to the left after crossing the bridge

on the 'Superhighway'. Let's say it is in the middle between Civit Thamma Da and

the Rimkok Hotel. Coming from town one can also take the new 'illuminated' bridge

to the north and then a few hundred meters to the left at the first traffic light

as this is the same road.

The sign of the restaurant is a big iron wire fish if I remember right.

It's an open air restaurant, but it also has a few big aircon rooms.

These rooms are equipped with televisions and the obligatory karaoke machines.

I'm not sure, but I think they charge five hundred or thousand Baht for using

the aircon room (for twelve to forty people I guess). You certainly wouldn't

be the first foreigner who celebrated his birthday there.

Hmmmm, fish curry :)

Lena House. At Ban Mueang Klang

When you guys go to MaiSai on your return stop at a little place 7ks before MaeChan. You will be suprised at the quality of the food offed. His pizza is great and his home made pies are to die for. Took 10 home with me they are as good as you will get any where in any country. Best I have had. If you dont go you wont know.

Its very hard to spot as its on a straight road but look for the pie sign. Its well worth the visit.

An investigation was made of the Mexican food rumoured to be available in Chiang Khong.

We found it of excellent quality and made with very fresh ingredients. Things like salsa and salads had obviously been prepared on the spot.

We were prepared to wait, we had been warned accordingly but the nachos arrived quickly and the rest of the food not long after we had finished them.

Some would say the food was expensive but we found it well worth it.

6422499953_e2780a03e5.jpg

6422499923_3a99c6c459.jpg

6422499939_833b105d8a.jpg

6422499941_6e992f035a.jpg

The decor left something to be desired, the more fastidious may wish to take their own table cloth.

After problems with Picasa I'm using Flickr to post photos and haven't worked out the editing process yet which explains the hairy elbows intruding in the photos.