BANGKOK
tayto

Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai.

have also italy restaurant around chiang ray? never seen..

There are, as far as known to me, six restaurants in Chiang Rai that prepare Italian food.

Some are said to be better than others.

One of these restaurants is supervised by a Dutchman.

It is called Da Vinci.

Two of these restaurants are supervised by Italians.

One is called Corleone and the other Il Pirata.

All located in the Wangcome area (Paholyothin Road, Night Bazaar, Wangcome Hotel).

Many like Da Vinci best (it has a real stone oven fired by wood). It is most famous among

tourists and local Thai people (it has an airconditioned part as well).

Il Pirata might be the most popular one among expats.

Il Pirata is in the soi 'behind' the nightmarket next to Scorpio, Top Ten and Thierry's.

We all know that 'Il Pirata' is a famous opera (listen to Montserrat Caballe) :

but the Italian gentleman who supersises this restaurant is a former bicyclist, so the name refers in

this case to Marco Pantani:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofijQUF8vHQ

Welcome to Chiang Rai Morris!

And Tim:

Steak Lovers, the little, sympathic, clean restaurant run by a very nice and welcoming young Thai couple

is located at the Sankhongluang Road, inbetween the headquarters of the Puea Thai Party and the most

wellknown veterinarian of Chiang Rai, next to Sankhongluang Soi 3.

Sanknongluang Road is the outer, northern, parallel road to the more known Sangkhongnoi Road inbetween the Regional Hospital and Den Haa.

Enjoy your meals gentlemen!

Limbo :)

PS: In the Wangcome area you find at the Paholyothin also a place called Pizza Company where meals are offered that supposedly are inspired by a famous Italian first course, though many Italians deny this.

Many people like the pizza's of Three House very much, the open restaurant on the corner opposite the Wat Klang Wiang, twohundred meters before the police station.

Opposite this restaurant is the little Swiss managed 'Delicatessen', that serves among others an excellent lasagna (with three kinds of cheese).

Edited by Limbo

I went down there the other Saturday night on your recommendation Limbo but we couldn't get a park within miles of the place so the guy who was driving decided we'd eat Thai instead. I noted the deli opposite... were you one of the guys sitting out the front? and went back the following morning to check out the bread and cheese etc but the wretched place doesn't open until 1pm.

Maybe this week, I don't mind a slice of lasagna.

I went down there the other Saturday night on your recommendation Limbo but we couldn't get a park within miles of the place so the guy who was driving decided we'd eat Thai instead. I noted the deli opposite... were you one of the guys sitting out the front? and went back the following morning to check out the bread and cheese etc but the wretched place doesn't open until 1pm.

Maybe this week, I don't mind a slice of lasagna.

Last Saturdays 'Walking Street' must have attracted thousands of visitors. I was told it was 'packed' all the way and that you only could move at snail's pace. After 5 o'clock one should be a little bit carefull from where to approach the area by car; before you know you could be trapped. I mostly park at the police station, as they are widening the road there now.

I wasn't there last Saturday.

I am sorry (but happy) that I can't offer you such an excellent Weihenstephaner beer there anymore ...

Anything else maybe? An original English cider maybe?

Oj's lasagna is 'heavy' like a brick, more than enough for two, and has a tin layer of this spectacular blue-ish cheese on top.

I took one home last night, consumed it and have still problems walking ... :D

have also italy restaurant around chiang ray? never seen..

There are, as far as known to me, six restaurants in Chiang Rai that prepare Italian food.

Some are said to be better than others.

One of these restaurants is supervised by a Dutchman.

It is called Da Vinci.

Two of these restaurants are supervised by Italians.

One is called Corleone and the other Il Pirata.

All located in the Wangcome area (Paholyothin Road, Night Bazaar, Wangcome Hotel).

Many like Da Vinci best (it has a real stone oven fired by wood). It is most famous among

tourists and local Thai people (it has an airconditioned part as well).

Il Pirata might be the most popular one among expats.

Il Pirata is in the soi 'behind' the nightmarket next to Scorpio, Top Ten and Thierry's.

We all know that 'Il Pirata' is a famous opera (listen to Montserrat Caballe) :

but the Italian gentleman who supersises this restaurant is a former bicyclist, so the name refers in

this case to Marco Pantani:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofijQUF8vHQ

Welcome to Chiang Rai Morris!

And Tim:

Steak Lovers, the little, sympathic, clean restaurant run by a very nice and welcoming young Thai couple

is located at the Sankhongluang Road, inbetween the headquarters of the Puea Thai Party and the most

wellknown veterinarian of Chiang Rai, next to Sankhongluang Soi 3.

Sanknongluang Road is the outer, northern, parallel road to the more known Sangkhongnoi Road inbetween the Regional Hospital and Den Haa.

Enjoy your meals gentlemen!

PS: In the Wangcome area you find at the Paholyothin also a place called Pizza Company where meals are offered that supposedly are inspired by a famous Italian first course, though many Italians deny this.

Many people like the pizza's of Three House very much, the open restaurant on the corner opposite the Wat Klang Wiang, twohundred meters before the police station.

Opposite this restaurant is the little Swiss managed 'Delicatessen', that serves among others an excellent lasagna (with three kinds of cheese).

thank you :D i try next month..

"Oj's lasagna is 'heavy' like a brick, more than enough for two, and has a tin layer of this spectacular blue-ish cheese on top.

I took one home last night, consumed it and have still problems walking"

Sounds like a glowing recommendation to me!

I'll try one when I'm up in the Rai next week....:)

"Near" is relevant. Maybe this isn't close enough to the night bazaar to suit you but I'll throw it out there anyway. Walk out of the night bazaar main entrance and turn right. Continuing away from the night bazaar and walking towards the river on the main drag, proceed to the third traffic light. Maybe a ten minute walk for me, tops. On the nearest corner on your right at that light is a great cafe. They serve Thai dishes. But they also serve some western food with a leaning towards Italian. I eat there often and they have really good food. It is one of the few places I have found that serve several dishes with cheese in them. A rare treat for me in CR. I recommend the calzone. They offer a few but the one with sausage in it is special. The seafood salad is good, too. They serve several seafood dishes, with the salmon steak being the stand-out dish in that category. I believe they have some steaks. They have decent pizza. I don't think they have burgers. Can't recall the entire menu but they offer a lot. I think they offer beer but not sure about other adult drinks.

We generally go with several people, order lots of different things and everyone just helps themselves proportionately to the different dishes. Great way to sample a lot and try to decide what one would order if he/she went there alone. Have never had a negative comment from our companions and they end up being return customers.

The cafe offers a big dessert selection but I haven't found anything yet that suits me. The desserts aren't made with the type of ingredients I prefer even though the stuff looks especially appetizing. Hard for me to find a decent western dessert in this town.

Service is great, toilets are clean, staff is friendly and knowledgeable, plenty of seating and tables outside for the smokers. The place almost always has customers but isn't crowded. I think maybe it is just "undiscovered" at this time. Serving time is always quick.

I think they are always closed on the last Thursday of the month. Not sure of any holiday closing schedules.

I hope this helps. If this place isn't western enough for you, I can't help you any further. I really don't care much for the offerings on the main drag near the night bazaar and don't have any recommendations closer than this.

I think we had a topic on this place, it's opposite Wat Klang Wiang with the Swiss deli on the other corner.

Hard to get a park in the evening.

Yeah, that sounds like it. I can never remember the name of the place but several guys have told me about the deli across the street.

I never notice if there is parking for cars available at that place. We usually go on motorcycles. But when we do go anywhere in the car, I usually park several blocks from my destination and walk from there. I have parked at the park a few blocks from that restaurant before and walked to several nearby restaurants.

I have a friend that will only park right in front of the places he wants to visit and he will drive around the block for a long time, waiting for a spot to open. I grumble at him about driving in circles when I go with him. When he rides with me, I park even farther away from where we're going, just to hear him grumble about walking so far. Often, when we arrive at wherever we're going, there is an open space nearby and THAT really gets him going. Good fun.

I'm appreciating all the advise here. All good stuff Thanks

Steak Lovers - This might help someone find the 2 roads mentioned earlier (thanks for that)

Sanghongluang and Sanghongnoi roads are both labelled here on the leftmost side of this map

http://www.real-estate-insider.com/maps/chiangrai-area.jpg

I am very sorry, but "Steak Lovers" closed in the mean time.

It was a nice little restaurant with very nice food, a good ambience and lovely people running it.

It sounds a little bit cynical to mention it, but next month a pet shop will open there.

You can bring your dog for a haircut and similar things.

As far as I know the same people who had the pet-nursery before (about hundred meters further on the left

after dr Anon's veterinarian happening) will try to make ends meet there now.

Thanks Julesdick for sharing your information with us!

For central European dishes like goulash en typical German 'househusbands meals'

I mostly refer to the Swiss delicatessen, diagonally opposite the Wat Klang Wiang

(inbetween the postoffice and the policestation at the crossing with the traffic light and

the excellent Tree House restaurant, famous for its Swedish 'plankstek' and its pizza's).

We don't talk this time about the Pumpernickel of almost 2 kg for 240 Baht.

Last week it was French fries time: Excellent, better I never had in Chiang Rai!

Perfect they were! The skin was closed and slightly bulging and inside there was pure

cooked potato with no fat. The temperature of the fat or oil must have been between 190 and

200 degress Celsius, the way it should be and the fries must have entrusted to it with the most

meticulous care, as required for an optimal result.

The color had this warm yellow complexion, that is so typical for the Belgian 'frites' that next

to these in the southern Dutch provinces (bordering Belgium) are considered the best of the world.

They were medium sized, thus offering a pleasant grip as well, because, as the connaisseurs

among you undoubtedly know, French fries should be eaten with the fingers.

The sensation of a softly expanding crescendo of taste gets a little bit lost when the frie is already

perforated by a fork, let alone that it would have been exposed to a knife.

The ladies created a plate of masterpieces, not more and not less! My compliments!

See the concentration on the faces of the ladies while they are testing the quality; the taste, the colour,

the 'bite' and last but not least of course the substance of the potato itself.

. . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1263708667_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1263708682_thumb.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1263709085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

Songkorngluang is SOUTH of Songkorngnoi road. Other than that, terrific advice and recommendations...

Songkorngluang is SOUTH of Songkorngnoi road. Other than that, terrific advice and recommendations...

Thanks 'chmike'!

Last night I had dinner at a place that I have mentioned so many times being my favourite that

I don't dare to do it again.

The only thing I want to mention is that the owner is one of the staffmembers who help the young

hilltribe gentlemen of WEAHRADIO in Maechan to get their station going and that he is the best

badminton coach of Chiang Rai. The rest is easy to find out 555!

Several of his players won regional and even national tournaments.

The picture was taken after the salads and bread had disappeared already, so I leave those to your fantasy.

Including the bottle with a good Australian Chiraz Mourvedre 2007 the bill was 800 Baht.

The place has a great ambiance and you are served very quickly and correctly.

. . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1266983114_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1266983141_thumb.jpg