Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

Swiss Deli Kurt and his wife Oy always have good sausage, meat, and cheese selections. As well as Yummy Sourkraut.

A few years back, thier stuff was the only option.

Now more competition, but still a sure thing if wanting good Deli products.

Swiss Deli Kurt and his wife Oy always have good sausage, meat, and cheese selections.

As well as Yummy Sourkraut. A few years back, thier stuff was the only option.

Now more competition, but still a sure thing if wanting good Deli products.

Absolutely right! My latest discovery is his 'hunting sausage' (Jaegerwurst?).

There is a little bit mustard seed in it, if my taste organs don't play games

with me. Also the traditional topper, the sliced smoked salmon, is back again!

I noticed that many people still have problems finding the Swiss Deli.

At least visitors to this forum shouldn't have as Svenivan put the address on the

Google restaurant map of Chiang Rai: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206684512096090299188.0004a87bcb21dd86576cd&msa=0&ll=19.895994,99.856834&spn=0.003526,0.006518

Going from the police station to the post office it is a few meters around the corner

opposite the temple.

Anyhow, I heard that coming from the north (why not Mae Sai?), many foreigners nowadays

prefer the VR-restaurant above the splendid cuisine of the Teak House for a nice meal

on the way home. Some are even said to drive up there just for its excellent steaks.

Coming from the north it is at the left somewhere in the middle between the Mae Fah Luang

University and the Chiangrai Rajabhat University.

I guess it's about five kilometers north of the Saharot Soup Restaurant that is located

in the same building as Angkritgallery and Herebookafe - or the other way around of

course). Talking about the Saharot: sadly enough they stopped serving their brilliant Yok egg

porridge, but they are thriving very well on Gaw Laow and Guay Tjap. Together with the

other two locations with the same name, one about fifty meters west from the new clocktower

and the other at the first U-turn south of Mae Korn junction, it is known to every Thai in

town. Sometimes you even see one and a half foreigner meditatively scooping a soup there.

VR carworkshop/coffeeshop and ...Steakhouse?

The VR carbody workshop has been at this location for ages and many foreigners living

in Chiang Rai and the north knew to find it. It is known for its reasonable prices and

good service. The owner has been living abroad and his English is good. A couple of

years ago a friend went there to replace the engine of his old Toyota. They connected

one by one three engines to a battery and he could pick his favourite by its sound.

Including work they charched something between thirty and forty thousand. The engine

still runs smoothly.

The workshop is about fifty meters from the side of the superhighway and there is a big

light blue sign with the letters VR on it. I was rather surprised to see that they opened

a coffee shop along the road about a year ago and now the latest development seems to

be a restaurant with the accent on steaks.

The interesting thing is that its female cook is said to have been responsible for a couple

of years for the steaks in the kitchen of an American restaurant-owner close to town.

It is very well possible that her steaks even improved as she has the freedom now

to pair American style with local insights and knowledge about processing meat.

Worth a try, that's for sure!

Limbo :yohan:

Anyhow, I heard that coming from the north (why not Mae Sai?), many foreigners nowadays

prefer the VR-restaurant above the splendid cuisine of the Teak House for a nice meal

on the way home. Some are even said to drive up there just for its excellent steaks.

Coming from the north it is at the left somewhere in the middle between the Mae Fah Luang

University and the Chiangrai Rajabhat University.

VR carworkshop/coffeeshop and ...Steakhouse?

It is very well possible that her steaks even improved as she has the freedom now

to pair American style with local insights and knowledge about processing meat.

Worth a try, that's for sure!

The 'VR-Restaurant' has a name of its own: "Isarn Inter"

And, as could be expected, the lady in charge as well: Khun Chompu

She indeed has been learning the finesses of the Mexican and American 'cuisine'

under supervision of the owner of Don's Place. As far as I know she worked there

until a couple of years ago. As she opened her shop at the opposite side of town

about 25 kilometer from her former employer one hardly can say that she competes

with him directly. He will feel honored by the fact that his former employe became

an employer herself.

I think therefore that I speak also on his (and any many of his customers) behalf

when I wish Khun Chompu good luck with her restaurant!

I shall certainly give it a try one of these days.

I'm very curious of the Isarn-Mexican-American fusion :licklips:

post-6305-0-37109800-1324267413_thumb.jppost-6305-0-46507000-1324267441_thumb.jppost-6305-0-44944600-1324267479_thumb.jp

Reason for editing: Just noticed that her sign surprisingly mentions the European instead

of the American cuisine. The location is indeed about six kilometers north of the Rajabhat

(CRU) at the right side, about hunderd meters before a U-turn.

Edited by Limbo

Thai/Tex Restaurant near Chiang Rai Stadium does some excellent food both Thai and Western. On Christmas Eve and Day they have a special Turkey Christmas Menu at 300baht. Lannaman will be there Christmas Eve.

Christmas culinary ...

Also at Rico's, as usual, a Christmas Buffet takes place.

If I remember well he limited the number of guests to sixty

last year, so those who are interested should pass by one of

these days or give him a call.

The buffet of Kurt (of the Swiss Deli, but the buffet is elsewhere)

is already fully booked :ermm:

Limbo will be there.

I'm sure there will be one at Don's restaurant as well.

Those who prefer a little bit more of a religious touch to the whole

and don't want to celebrate the Birth of Christ by eating too much

are welcome at the First Church Friday night, December 23 at 7 pm.

Free food and snacks and live music.

Among others Khun Chanon will play guitar, accordion, ukelele and

violin, supported by the other members of the orchestre of the

First Church.

Those who prefer the Catholic approach have to take into account

that the night mass might start at ten o'clock at Christmas Eve as

many of the attendents come from far. This of course at the church

at the superhighway next to the Santi school.

The musicians of the First Church, artistic leader khun Chanon at the right:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-0-09692600-1324299960_thumb.jp

Picking up on Harsu's recommendation in the "where to drink coffee" thread I went out to Rai Boon Rawd Farms this afternoon. Was surprised at how far off the road the restaurant was but when I got there it was explained. The location was picked for its scenic beauty, not easy access. I think it maybe the most scenic, nice restaurant, view in the Rai. The restaurant is open air and the food appears good and reasonably priced considering everything, Only had the phone camera so the following Pics will have to do.

I should mention that there is still quite a bit of construction going on with the road and restaurant and the staff are being trained but nothing of consequence.

post-72121-0-10868300-1324304934_thumb.j

post-72121-0-19537400-1324304979_thumb.j

post-72121-0-76145800-1324304984_thumb.j

post-72121-0-50133900-1324304998_thumb.j

post-72121-0-79551400-1324305004_thumb.j

post-72121-0-54431000-1324305011_thumb.j

post-72121-0-90510400-1324305017_thumb.j

post-72121-0-45981300-1324305024_thumb.j

post-72121-0-84564400-1324305031_thumb.j

post-72121-0-90685200-1324305038_thumb.j

Edited by scorpio1945

Indeed a very good tip! Thanks for the pictures Scorpio!

I went there yesterday and certainly didn't regret it.

Phu Bhirom Restaurant

With Boonrawd Farm we now also have a real nice agro-tourist site in

Chiang Rai province. It for sure has the potential to become as succesfull

as Chockchai Farm in Nakhon Ratchasima.

The mountainbikers among us have known it for years as the International

Mountainbike Challenge of Chiang Rai passed through this beautiful area

for more than ten editions of it already. It is an enormous farm, comprising

three tambons, more than 200 rai land and it has all kinds of crops, not only

those related to the brewing of beer. More than a quarter of a million trees,

including the rubber trees I suppose. Around the restaurant you see mainly

tea plantations.

You take the old road to Chiang Mai, pass the villages Nong Moh and Mae Korn

and after some kilometers you will see the old Boonrawd shop at the right side

of the road. There you can, if you so wish, park your vehicle and proceed to

the restaurant by an electric open shuttle bus. You can also pass the open

field next to it with the big golden Singha lion and drive to the restaurant

yourself.

If you want to tour the area you pay 20 Baht (motorbike) or 50 Baht (car).

If you visit the restaurant it's free.

The name of the restaurant, Phu Bhirom, derives from the family name of

the owners of Boon Rawd (brewer of Singha and Leo). Beer Singha was founded

in 1933 by the father of the present Chairman Khun Chamnong Bhirom Bhakdi.

On the picture we see the present Vice Chairman of Boon Rawd Brewery, Khun

Vapee Bhirom Bhakdi together with the Chairman of the Chao Phya Abhai Raja

Foundation in Mae Chan (among others founder of the Chiangrai Hills Stadium).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-0-53151600-1324439875_thumb.jp

The farm is great for walking and bicycling!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-0-48557100-1324440291_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

La Cuisine, International Food is set to open 1st February at 3 of the 4 locations of WCH Hamburgers following the split between Barry and his investor (Frank). WCH continues at the old air force golf course and LC at Funny House, Night Bazaar and PTT station halfway to Chiang Mai. I have tasted half a dozen or so of their proposed dishes (pizza's, pasta's, steaks, burgers, chicken etc) and it was good. Prices are expected to be cheaper than all competitors as they are aiming for volume, rather than premium. Also likely to be a discount scheme for local Farang's & Thai's to keep it busy in low season. Looking good!

Best "restaurant" I have found so far is the little Thai restaurant at the Mae Suai dam. Every item including vegetables has fresh fish from the lake in it. Beautiful setting, too.

Worst restaurant is the Italian outlet at Le Meridien. No question.

• 1 month later...

I tried La Cuisine on the main street,opposite the Wiang Inn, this evening.

I had the mushroom burger which was nice.

Not a huge burger, but at 90 baht it was good.

The meat patty was quite tasty and not dry or over-cooked.

It came with nice fat crinkle cut fries (which I personally prefer to thin french fries) that were cooked just right (ie. not left in the fryer too long so they turn dark brown).

It wasn't as good a burger as the one at Teak Cafe on the way to Mae Chan (which is also 90 baht), but it's a lot more conveniently located.

Also, I got free warm popcorn from the popcorn machine they have there to munch on while I was waiting for the burger which was a bonus.

I'll go back to check out some of the pasta dishes too, which were similarly priced (the Thai dishes start at 30 baht for Pad Krapow)

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the Teak House near Mae Fah Luang.

Similar experience to Joel Barlow.

Wife and I drove in at 11.45 for lunch(didn't demand immediate service)

They told us at the door

in no uncertain terms that they didn't open until 12

Grudgingly offered us a coffee

We left and went up to the next place

Sweets and Stuff I think it is called where the staff were

very welcoming-they got our money

Suggest that you try the fillet steak at Don's where you will be seated in a lovely sala between two lakes. If you like Mexican food or burgers there is a good selection. The take away frozen foods are portion cut and vacuum packed in the Don's Foods factory in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thai/Tex Restaurant near Chiang Rai Stadium does some excellent food both Thai and Western. On Christmas Eve and Day they have a special Turkey Christmas Menu at 300baht. Lannaman will be there Christmas Eve.

Is this place still open? Exactly where, is it? Thanks for any leads. ett

Is this place still open? Exactly where, is it? Thanks for any leads. ett

The Tex-Mex restaurant was on the same road as Pat and Tony (eyebrows') Bar.

The restaurant is still there but I dont think it opens very much now if at all due to the Farang who ran the place

now has a bar (BUNNY BAR) on the side road next to the Wangcome Hotel , nestled in amoungst the massage shops.

He has taken his menu with him and serves food at his bar with the occassional specials being advertised on a board

just at the entrance to the bar. The food is ok but the bar lacks practically everything .

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I checked out the Vietnamese place near the Wiang Inn today, it had a reasonably busy Thai lunch crowd and was obviously popular.

Vietnamese was my first real Asian food and I know it quite well, having eaten it in Australia which has a very large ethnic Vietnamese population and also in Vietnam.

Here's the shop, just behind the Wiang Inn hotel

7374245548_2131f25632_z.jpg

The menu consisted of a small book of photos and seeing the serves looked small we ordered up big in true farang style. There didn't seem to be any English spoken there.

First up was a rice dish steamed with minced pork, very similar to what I have eaten in Lao.

7189011025_7899d1e5b3_z.jpg

It came with minced pork in vine leaves that were chewy but tasty, posted the wrong way round but I'm sure you'll work it out.

7374242464_85cb005d19_z.jpg

Cold rice paper rolls are always a favourite and they quite nice.

7189011113_c046884269_z.jpg

It was a bit down hill from there, an interesting looking dish consisted of a sort of a deep fried rice paper omelette sandwich.

7189011337_03b6f3e0a5_z.jpg

And the deep fried banana bits were... what can i say?

Deep fried banana bits. I ate one to be polite.

Could be me, I'm off deep frying.

7189011415_ffb7f4faff_z.jpg

The sauces were a disappointment, I'd have chopped the ingredients a bit finer to blend the flavours.

And more chilli.

The price was fantastic, five courses and two soft drinks for less than 300 baht.

I'll definitely go back, my friend wasn't keen on any of it but I found it interesting and definitely different.

I want to try their soups, no time yesterday and we wanted to share.

If you're driving don't continue on eastwards hoping to get to the Super Highway, it was a bit tricky turning around in the narrow lane way to get out when I got to the dead end.

• Like 1

A friend and I checked out the Vietnamese place near the Wiang Inn today, it had a reasonably busy Thai lunch crowd and was obviously popular.

Vietnamese was my first real Asian food and I know it quite well, having eaten it in Australia which has a very large ethnic Vietnamese population and also in Vietnam.

The menu consisted of a small book of photos and seeing the serves looked small we ordered up big in true farang style. There didn't seem to be any English spoken there.

First up was a rice dish steamed with minced pork, very similar to what I have eaten in Lao.

It came with minced pork in vine leaves that were chewy but tasty, posted the wrong way round but I'm sure you'll work it out.

It was a bit down hill from there, an interesting looking dish consisted of a sort of a deep fried rice paper omelette sandwich.

The sauces were a disappointment, I'd have chopped the ingredients a bit finer to blend the flavours.

And more chilli.

The price was fantastic, five courses and two soft drinks for less than 300 baht.

I'll definitely go back, my friend wasn't keen on any of it but I found it interesting and definitely different.

If you're driving don't continue on eastwards hoping to get to the Super Highway, it was a bit tricky turning around in the narrow lane way to get out when I got to the dead end.

how would you compare it to the vietnamese place on the right just before CR beach?..that place is always packed and everyone seems very happy but i can never quite work out what i should order there....pointing to other people's orders seems the best way to go....

My wife likes this restaurant more than I do but I do enjoy the food whenever we eat there. I find it easier to enter from the Super Highway end by taking the small left fork in the road just past the main hardware stores. That way you are pointing in the right direction to get out without doing a U-turn.wink.png

I'm not aware of this one?

Is it on our map?

if you go on the main road to chiang rai beach it is just past the entrance (on the left) that goes up the hill to wat meng rai..the restaturant is on the right side of this main road...no english sign and mostly residentail section but you will see a busy place and it is definitely a vietnamese place ...no english menu either as i recall...never been at night but they do a big lunch biz there most days.....not sure if on map but pretty easy to find...

I have updated the Map for Restaurants in Chiang Rai Province with some Vietnamese Restaurants

https://maps.google....003526,0.006518

We go to nbr 1 and nbr 2 and both are very good, some dishes better in nbr 1 and some better in nbr 2.

For nbr 3 I made a guess for the location from Sceas Photo.

Years ago, two or three, there was another Vietnamese Restaurant further in on the same road as nbr 3. It was very good

but for some reason it slipped out of my memory so we have not been there recently. That is nbr 4 on the

Map so if someone knows better, please post or PM me.

rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifblink.png

Edited by svenivan

• 2 weeks later...

have a nice family run place open up on San Kong Noi at about soi 4 just down from le petit cafe called PIZZA TERRACE.

the food is delicious the dough is fresh there are no frozen pizzas here

the price is also good pizzas fro 150 to 200 baht

pasta from 80-100 baht

there is a large parking area next to the place and the atmosphere is open warm

anyway check it out

have a nice family run place open up on San Kong Noi at about soi 4 just down from le petit cafe called PIZZA TERRACE.

pasta from 80-100 baht

anyway check it out

Can’t remember the last time I went to a pizza place. Pizzas just seem entirely too unhealthy to have more than a bite or two. Good luck anyway, I’m sure there must be a market for pizza.thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

pasta from 80-100 baht

anyway check it out

Can’t remember the last time I went to a pizza place. Pizzas just seem entirely too unhealthy to have more than a bite or two. Good luck anyway, I’m sure there must be a market for pizza.thumbsup.gif

The 30-Day Pizza Diet was created by none other than pizza shop owner Matt McClellan, who owns Tour de Pizza, an award-winning pizza restaurant in Florida. Matt decided to embark on this experimental diet because he kept getting hassled by his gym for giving out pizza coupons. Due to most diets viewing pizza as one of those off-limit foods, he decided to show people that pizza could be healthy.

In 30 days, Matt was able to lose 24 pounds and lower his body fat percentage by 10 percent. He was also able to lower his cholesterol, blood pressure and lose inches from his body. On the diet, you eat nothing but pizza for 30 days. Each day about eight slices are allowed over a 12-hour period totaling about 2,500 calories. Toppings include chicken, broccoli, avocado, pineapple and mushrooms along with skim milk cheese. Red meat and pork are not allowed.

pasta from 80-100 baht

anyway check it out

The 30-Day Pizza Diet was created by none other than pizza shop owner Matt McClellan, who owns Tour de Pizza, an award-winning pizza restaurant in Florida. Matt decided to embark on this experimental diet because he kept getting hassled by his gym for giving out pizza coupons. Due to most diets viewing pizza as one of those off-limit foods, he decided to show people that pizza could be healthy.

In 30 days, Matt was able to lose 24 pounds and lower his body fat percentage by 10 percent. He was also able to lower his cholesterol, blood pressure and lose inches from his body. On the diet, you eat nothing but pizza for 30 days. Each day about eight slices are allowed over a 12-hour period totaling about 2,500 calories. Toppings include chicken, broccoli, avocado, pineapple and mushrooms along with skim milk cheese. Red meat and pork are not allowed.

Now that I have read this here on TV I am sure it must be truewink.png but it does have me wondering what kind of shape Mr. McClellan must have been in prior to embarking on his experimental pizza diet.shock1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

And more chilli.

I like this post and wish we had many more of similar quality.clap2.gif