Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

Bamboo Mexican House Restaurant - Located on main street next to MeKong river in Chiang Khong - I enjoyed the food at this little cozy place. This mom and pop style restaurant makes homemade whole wheat bread which is also tasty. Word to the wise, the food is not cheap, so if your on a beer budget you probably need to press on down to the local noodle shop.

post-42806-0-06190000-1356049966_thumb.j

post-42806-0-72054600-1356050113_thumb.j

• Like 1

An excellent place to enjoy a good meal.

The genial proprietor has a "cheap" menu as well with other dishes, in fact he often keeps the Mexican menu behind the counter and gets it out on request to customers he considers able to pay the higher prices.

Mind you, I was there the other day with two other people and we ate to fulfilment for about 600B.

The home made soup got the thumbs up as well.

Mexican Food Restaurants Update....

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all....

So can anyone tell us what is really available for those of us that really miss Mexican Food (good or bad...preferably good) in the CR area? Is Kae's Burritos still around? How about those places up near MFL U? I know the Bamboo Hut in Chiang Khong is still there and very good, I might add....but is way the heck out in the middle of?huh.gif....somewhere. Handy if you are going to do the river trip to LP, Laos. It sure would be nice to make an hour drive to CR for Mexican food as opposed to the 2 hour drive to CM. Thanks for any and all input...and Feliz Navidad. pe

True Countryside Dining, reproduced from the Nation. Nice to see Chiang Rai getting written up for something other than drug busts and murders.

"About 30 minutes' drive from downtown Chiang Rai on Den Ha-Dong Mada Road, the hillside restaurant Bhu Bhirom is an ideal place to enjoy good food with a glorious sunset. Without any annoying buildings blocking your eyes, the al fresco dining area with comfy sofas upholstered in colourful shades is a relaxing perch for dinners overlooking scenic green and yellow agricultural lands stretching out as far as the eye can see.

Bhu Bhirom is located on 8,600 rai at Boonrawd Farm in Chiang Rai that is now showcasing itself as a spectacular agro-tourism attraction. Since late last year, the public has been able to visit the farm that's now known as Singha Park to learn about agricultural production through a daily farm tour that's free of charge.

Before dinner, it's best to take the sightseeing car for the tour, which runs daily from 10am to 5pm and comes complete with a guide. The farm is home to para rubber trees, jujube fruits, barley fields and mulberry trees, as well as strawberries, star fruit, mushrooms and salad vegetables and the fresh produce is also used at the restaurant.

A visit to the site reveals that the well-known beer maker Boonrawd Brewery is also a large exporter of loose oolong tea with a 600-rai tea plantation, and you can tease your palate with fresh tea leaves.

Only the terminal buds and three young leaves are plucked by gentle hands to get the premium tea and the tempting dishes also use these top three leaves for cooking. Among the best choices are fried fresh tealeaf with spicy sauce for Bt90 and spicy tuna with fresh tealeaf for Bt100. The tealeaf is cooked without leaving any bitter and smelly taste in the mouth.

Next is sour sausage for Bt90 that is lightly coated with breadcrumbs before fried until golden. It is served with chopped green onion, coriander, shallot and garlic and chilli. Another delectable dish is grilled chicken for Bt220 that is marinated with herbs like pepper and garlic, rosemary and thyme and shallots before grilling to give a favourable taste.

The East-meets-West dish is spaghetti with Northern-style sausage for Bt120 where al dente and hot merges. But don't worry, you won't be reaching for the ice water to calm sore mouths burning with fiery flavour.

For Western foods, the star here is steak in different cuts for Bt550 for 300 grams including sirloin, T-bone and fillet mignon. Other choices are pork chop with apple sauce (Bt350), German-style deep-fried pork knuckle (Bt350) and mixed sausages (Bt350).

Opened late last year as a relaxing spot after a farm tour, the all-day dining Bhu Bhirom can accommodate about 120 diners with Thai cuisine, particular Northern dishes, and European foods. Thanks to its beautiful panoramic view, it's quickly become popular for both locals and tourists so that the restaurant plans to move a hundred metres from its previous site - but still in the same compound - to a more spacious area in April next year."

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the restaurant Casa De Tapas ?? Its a new restaurant behind the bowling alley . The menu is very western and has a good selection , they even have pickled herrings served with garlic bread. I will let you know what its like as soon as I have been but maybe someone has been already ?

Walk out of the Wiang Inn and turn left....the Thai place on the corner does a very mean red curry.....not quite a panaeng due to the absence of coconut milk....which is how I prefer it. Other dishes were also excellent.

In Mae Salong towards the bottom of the hill is a restaurant almost hidden from view.....walk through the local market of nick nacks and it is at the back.

Superb roast pork and duck....the sauce served with the duck is worth a trip on its own. Sorry can't remember the name.

Edit: Don't forget the Chinese buns to mop up the sauce!

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A small restaurant near the corner of the super hwy at the Rajabat U turn off. It's open again, after being closed for several months. I think it's owned by an absentee farang, but have never seen him there. The farang food there is quite good and medium priced. Salmon steak with mashed potatoes, includes small salad and small garlic bread, not real cheap at Bt.190, but worth it. It's not on a busy street, so there's little auto exhaust or noise. Specific directions; go east from the intersection mentioned above (away from the U). It's on the left, about 200 meters. Sorry, can't recall name.

also: a complimentary re-mention of some other places which have been mentioned earlier in this thread...

Baanchivitmai Bakery: their large chicken salad is BIG, tasty and low cost!

Chat guest house (50 m west of Overbrook Hospital): big portions / low prices / no street noise/fumes I order their American breakfast (a.k.a. chlorestoral special)

Chian g.h.: Also good sized portions, low prices, away from busy streets, nice atmosphere. the only place in town which I've found can fry an egg 'over easy' just right.

none of the places mentioned above use MSG. All have french fries.

Edited by maidu
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A most enjoyable lunch in Casa de Tapas today.

The nicely sized Spanish tapas dishes were about 150-200B each and we devoured six between two with a little squeezing.

Two soft drinks and a coffee brought the bill to a 1000B which may be a little rich for some but is fine for a taste of something different once in a while.

Very good selection of vino on display and attentive staff with a very pleasant attitude.

I took some photos but their Facebook page shows it better.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Casa-De-Tapas-Chiang-Rai/1487253114747287

Easy to find, it's behind the bowling alley on the highway.

I think it's important that the people who complain about the lack of variety in Chiang Rai restaurants patronise this sort of place to encourage those brave enough to set them up.

• Like 2

I think it's important that the people who complain about the lack of variety in Chiang Rai restaurants patronise this sort of place to encourage those brave enough to set them up.

I will take your hint and mention it to the little woman. She tends to like places like that so she will probably be interested in giving it a try, on your recommendation.wink.png Edited by villagefarang

• 3 weeks later...

New Italian style restaurant in Bandu. It is very classy and the Pizza is outstanding. The menu has much more to include spaghetti and Italian dishes. It is called Dui Dui and is located between Sintanee 5 and Sintanee 7, off of Pongphrabat road. I am sold on the quality of food and good service.

Lets see if I can better explain, it is kind of out of the way. Taking Phahon Yothin road (Route 1) going towards Mae Sai, Turn Left on Phongphrabat road (1511), drive 1.15 kilometers, turn left on Ban Du Soi 4 (not marked), it is the Soi before bright Orange convenience store. On Soi 4 Drive approximately .21 kilometers and it is on the left. Unfortunately, just street parking. Next to Wat Ban Rai. Had Spaghetti last night for 35 Baht, Medium Pizza 65 baht and a glass of wine for 60 baht. Too bad the location is out of the way, because the food and prices are reasonable and the ambiance is relaxing. I like the competition and variety of these business ventures popping up in the Rai. Hope they get the customer base to stay in business!

Telephone: 052-020413

I'm embarrassed to report I've tried twice to find the restaurant, to no avail. I can't even find 1511!

Some added information, the owner used to have the Dutch restaurant downtown Chiang Rai city which is now closed.

New Italian style restaurant in Bandu. It is very classy and the Pizza is outstanding. The menu has much more to include spaghetti and Italian dishes. It is called Dui Dui and is located between Sintanee 5 and Sintanee 7, off of Pongphrabat road. I am sold on the quality of food and good service.

Lets see if I can better explain, it is kind of out of the way. Taking Phahon Yothin road (Route 1) going towards Mae Sai, Turn Left on Phongphrabat road (1511), drive 1.15 kilometers, turn left on Ban Du Soi 4 (not marked), it is the Soi before bright Orange convenience store. On Soi 4 Drive approximately .21 kilometers and it is on the left. Unfortunately, just street parking. Next to Wat Ban Rai. Had Spaghetti last night for 35 Baht, Medium Pizza 65 baht and a glass of wine for 60 baht. Too bad the location is out of the way, because the food and prices are reasonable and the ambiance is relaxing. I like the competition and variety of these business ventures popping up in the Rai. Hope they get the customer base to stay in business!

Telephone: 052-020413

I'm embarrassed to report I've tried twice to find the restaurant, to no avail. I can't even find 1511!

Some added information, the owner used to have the Dutch restaurant downtown Chiang Rai city which is now closed.

How about a google map display?

• 2 weeks later...

Any comments / feedback on the Leelawadee or the other Thai places located very close to the Le Meridien? Have not been to any but I see the Leelawadee got a very good review on TripAdvisor.

I really like the F&B at the Le Meridien, but of course it is on the pricey side so if I am staying there a few days would like to try some local places too.

Yesterday I tried the restaurant Maidu Ken recommended. It's just east of the NamTong road where on Sunday and Tuesday evenings there's a "Walking Street" (Tuesday much, much bigger). The salmon steak was great.

The other steak restaurants in Ban Du are not (the Mu KaTah just south of the open area on the east side of Hwy1 is pretty good, 'though more costly than FahSai).

I didn't catch the name, but hope it'll get sufficient patronization to survive (the Mexican place just past Hang Dong is more likely to do so - deservedly). The menu is only in Thai, but there are pictures.

My wife is just back from a visit to her grandmother half-way between Tachilek and Keng Tung. The situation there is horrible, with extreme poverty and malnutrition, rampant drug use, mixing poisons (including rat and insect poison) with the speed and heroin being manufactured (she has somewhat distant relatives who have been working doing the mixing) and animal disease (frothing at the mouth).

Meanwhile, on to the important stuff: the restaurant Ken maidu mentioned is called EU. The good Ban Du mu-ka-tah is Saen Fang. Chiangrai Cafe, just north of the road to Rajapat Gets #1 (west side of Hwy 1 near the walkover) is much the same as EU (fast due to microwave) but with good brownies too.

Had lunch yesterday at a place recommended on the other forum. It is called DD Resturant. It serves MEXICAN, breakfast, Thai and Western. It is not much in the way of ambiance and you have to be patient since she is a one man (woman) act BUT she makes GREAT Mexican food for the price. It is located on the way to Don,s. On the right just past the turn off to the prison. http://goo.gl/maps/4Mb3m Heard she makes great breakfast also.

post-72121-0-74083100-1365926774_thumb.j

Had lunch yesterday at a place recommended on the other forum. It is called DD Resturant. It serves MEXICAN, breakfast, Thai and Western. It is not much in the way of ambiance and you have to be patient since she is a one man (woman) act BUT she makes GREAT Mexican food for the price. It is located on the way to Don,s. On the right just past the turn off to the prison. http://goo.gl/maps/4Mb3m Heard she makes great breakfast also.

Thanks for the heads up mate.

That's not that far from where I am so I'll give it a crack

after Songkran.

Regards

Will

• 2 weeks later...

See attached map for Dui Dui restaurant in Bandu. See my previous post for details.

The map appears to have south at the top - is that right? Where is it in relation to the big recycle yard? (no relation to the food, I'm sure).

Is 1511 the road which goes west to the hot springs place and then further to end at the park?

I looked at the map. There was a red teardrop mark and a green arrow at different places. If it's the red marker, then it appears to be about 250 meters south of the Mae Kok river at Pattaya Noi a.k.a. Chiang Rai Beach. I wish I could find a place which delivers, but I'm off the beaten path, just nw of Chiang Rai, in Hoy Plakang village. Mexican b'fast sounds mouth-watering.

Thanks for the heads up mate.

That's not that far from where I am so I'll give it a crack

after Songkran.

Regards

Will

Will will give it a crack, God willing. Once the enemy is within sight, the Coalition of the Willing can fire at will, but don't fire at Will, as he's on our side, and Will will bleed unwillingly.

See attached map for Dui Dui restaurant in Bandu. See my previous post for details.

The map appears to have south at the top - is that right? Where is it in relation to the big recycle yard? (no relation to the food, I'm sure).

Is 1511 the road which goes west to the hot springs place and then further to end at the park?

Yes past the big recycle yard on the way to Pongphrabat road going to hot springs

Pad Ka Pow, (Spicy Basil Stir Fry with Fried Egg) w/white rice on side, yum yum - Taste wonderful after 18 holes of golf at Santiburi Country Club in Chiang Rai. Oh yea, must have an Ice Cold Beer...... Tally Ho

post-42806-0-99311700-1367300900_thumb.j