Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

Finally have a Sports Bar away from Jedyod road that caters to the Farang populace here in the Rai. Coconut Sports Bar and Restaurant II. Same good food as Coconut 1 and cold beer. Located on the right, approximately .25 kilometers from King Mengrai Monument going East on (1232) heading to Wiang Chai. Great English breakfast, Chili con carne, English chips and Fish and Chips meal. Plus great place to meet friends and watch the games.

post-42806-0-31298600-1369613225_thumb.j

post-42806-0-73198400-1369613283_thumb.j

post-42806-0-67936000-1369613425_thumb.j

post-42806-0-14438400-1369613468_thumb.j

post-42806-0-78022400-1369613509_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I second Chivit Thamma Da as a great place for coffee, food and atmosphere.Posted Image

Posted Image

We went to this place on recommendation of our hotel owner.

To be honest its more of a coffee shop than restaurant....a ladies who lunch kund of place.

Nice spot though not our kinda thing really.

Not knocking it for what it does well. :)

I second Chivit Thamma Da as a great place for coffee, food and atmosphere.smile.png

Chiwit++004.jpg

To be honest its more of a coffee shop than restaurant....a ladies who lunch kund of place.

Not knocking it for what it does well. smile.png

I guess I am a ladies who lunch kind of guy.biggrin.pnglaugh.png

• Like 1

I second Chivit Thamma Da as a great place for coffee, food and atmosphere.smile.png

Chiwit++004.jpg

Not knocking it for what it does well. smile.png

I guess I am a ladies who lunch kind of guy.biggrin.pnglaugh.png

I prefer to lunch with the ladies.

• Like 1

Our ladies were there.....but they seemed unintwrested in the German style sausages eventually served to our group.

Lots of scrutiny of the menu and "No have".

We left hungry....the company was great....beers cold.....service....well ummm....patchy. :D

My wife and all the other girls we have taken there (our friends) enjoyed it but my wife has tried to invite her university classmates and they show no interest.

Their salad in good and last time I tried something called egg in a hole which I enjoyed. My wife liked the egg in a pan (gata) dish, as we were both having breakfast.

If the women folk are looking for somtam or larb, then they would indeed go hungry. The clientele is markedly Thai and Asian, it should be noted, with many fewer Farangs.

I agree the place might be OK for light lunch or cakes but we arrived hungry at 4 pm and wanted some more substantial food.

They have an impressive menu yet couldn't manage to serve us any of it as they had no ingredients.

Beer was good...thats all I had.

Liked the view as well! :)

I don't mind the picture size. But, the ice in the beer is a different story. smile.png

A bit of ice is unlikely to spoil Thai beer.

And that Smokie feller..........he gets everywhere, can't keep up with him at all.

• Like 1

I don't mind the picture size.  But, the ice in the beer is a different story.  Posted Image

A bit of ice is unlikely to spoil Thai beer.

And that Smokie feller..........he gets everywhere, can't keep up with him at all.

I love the Rai. :)

• Like 2

Had lunch yesterday at a place recommended on the other forum. It is called DD Resturant. It serves MEXICAN, breakfast, Thai and Western. It is not much in the way of ambiance and you have to be patient since she is a one man (woman) act BUT she makes GREAT Mexican food for the price. It is located on the way to Don,s. On the right just past the turn off to the prison. http://goo.gl/maps/4Mb3m Heard she makes great breakfast also.

Trend Setters

Popped into DD's today for lunch.

Received one of the best hamburgers I've had whilst in Thailand.

As with any burger, the meat makes or breaks it and the beef patty

in this was superb. Basically a seared beef patty, lettuce, onions and tomato.

If you like the gourmet style burger, topped with avocado and elephant's balls,

this probably isn't for you, but if you like the old style burger, do yourself a favour

and try one.

Regards

Will

Had lunch yesterday at a place recommended on the other forum. It is called DD Resturant. It serves MEXICAN, breakfast, Thai and Western. It is not much in the way of ambiance and you have to be patient since she is a one man (woman) act BUT she makes GREAT Mexican food for the price. It is located on the way to Don,s. On the right just past the turn off to the prison. http://goo.gl/maps/4Mb3m Heard she makes great breakfast also.

Trend Setters

Popped into DD's today for lunch.

Received one of the best hamburgers I've had whilst in Thailand.

As with any burger, the meat makes or breaks it and the beef patty

in this was superb. Basically a seared beef patty, lettuce, onions and tomato.

If you like the gourmet style burger, topped with avocado and elephant's balls,

this probably isn't for you, but if you like the old style burger, do yourself a favour

and try one.

Regards

Will

damn, they have Chaing Doi Hoi burgers? Well I have been missing out ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A most enjoyable lunch in Casa de Tapas today.

The nicely sized Spanish tapas dishes were about 150-200B each and we devoured six between two with a little squeezing.

Two soft drinks and a coffee brought the bill to a 1000B which may be a little rich for some but is fine for a taste of something different once in a while.

Very good selection of vino on display and attentive staff with a very pleasant attitude.

I took some photos but their Facebook page shows it better.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Casa-De-Tapas-Chiang-Rai/1487253114747287

Easy to find, it's behind the bowling alley on the highway.

I think it's important that the people who complain about the lack of variety in Chiang Rai restaurants patronise this sort of place to encourage those brave enough to set them up.

My experience at Casa was very good. (and then we went bowling, but that's another story! lol)

The food was quite good although the salsa a little sweet for my taste. Not a big deal because the home made Jalapeño peppers are excellent!!!

In fact, most of the sauces and garnishes are home made. (ie: steak sauce, etc)

The service both times was exceptional and the owners made a point of meeting us and chatting a while.

Truly nice people.

To compliment the good selection of wine are a few varieties of beer that I had never tried before. (But that is soooooo last week! burp.gif )

They are also looking to start up a Scotch tasting night. Single malt's I believe.

My wife took a gazillion food pic's, but I'll check their FB page first. Thank's for the heads up Scea. thumbsup.gif

I would certainly recommend a try for those that want some Mexi food.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch at the Wiang Inn today, a marginally reasonable buffet at 200B a head.

I would say that it would be fine for those looking to fill up midday and then be satisfied for a sandwich for their evening meal.

There was a creamy carrot soup for starters that was ok, my dining companion said he saw some Thai soups that I missed.

Three of four stir fries and plain and fried rice to go with it.

Round the other side you could make up a plate of fish and chips with salad fairly easily, what was labelled "fish fingers" was actually small crumbed fillets.

Deserts were ok, several choices, small enough to take a selection. whistling.gif

Two young chefs were doing something with noodles up the far end but I never investigated.

I'd go again to take hungry guests.

• Like 1

GLUTEN FREE PIZZA.........Stopped...by chance, at Gil's pizza shop (going north it is on the left about 100 meters afore you get to the road that will take you to Mae Fah Luang).

The man said he could make a gluten free pizza. Yeah right, and I like eating cardboard I says to meself.

Well, that man can and is it ever good. If I were to have said what was on my mind at first I would have had hat in hand apologizing. It is done well and it IS delicious and will change your view of sticky rice....seriously.

For me and my gluten allergy it was a welcome experience which I will share with folks, likewise denied a pizza fix, in YM on other topics.

Be sure to insist that pizza was first made in Herculaneum as he needs to be told.

I have a hard time coming to grips with foreigners setting up restaurants in ramshackle accommodations which would have a hard time selling 15 baht Thai noodle dishes. How do they expect to make a living selling to such a small base of costumers from such an uninviting environment? They are unlikely to attract Thais or tourists and with many local expats unable to afford eating there more than once a month, where is their potential costumer base?

Sometimes you are sitting just feet from traffic, inhaling the exhaust of each passing car. Perhaps you are looking down on a “pond” which looks more like a Bangkok klong, the banks strewn with rubble and near lifeless fish staring up at you, sucking air, unable to get oxygen from the stagnant water.

Yesterday we were invited by friends to a small husband and wife place. Parking on the highway, construction next door, it was hot and I found myself looking at the owner’s unmade bed just a few meters away from the dining area.

It ended up costing 300 baht per person for our group, though I have found better ambiance in 15 baht noodle shops. The food was not bad but my wife asked if we could stop someplace else afterward so she could get something else to eat, as she was still hungry.

Ended up stopping at the new Art Bridge place across from Makro for desert. Now that is a lovely place and setting, and the two pies we tried were quite good.

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across good Pizza place on way to Mai Sai on route 1 going North. Di Angeilo Pizzeria on left just before the cut off going to Mae Fah Luang University. Have not tried the spaghetti yet, next time. Owner if very friendly, moved business up to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai.

post-42806-0-33375600-1378436898_thumb.j

post-42806-0-19078700-1378436999_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed your tendency to loiter at the desert table at Le Meridien.

Not sure that you're a reliable source when it comes to deserts. whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

I swear, you have the memory of an elephant.laugh.png I can’t even remember the last time my wife and I were able to attend the Sunday Brunch at the Meridien.
In my opinion the lemon meringue was better than what we had at Charin.smile.png