Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

One of my mates had a huge tree on his property.

You've never been in the shit until you've gone home after eating about a bucketful in your white school shirt.

You were even more in it if you said....A bit of Persil will fix it! sad.png

Le Meridien has a Sunday brunch, kicks off about 11am.

Current prices are 699B, extra for alcoholic drinks.

It's not something I'd do every day but as a decent lunch every couple of weeks it fits the bill nicely.

If you become a regular get a Starwood Preferred Guest for disounts as well as Le Meridien Brunch Booklet which gives you aevery tenth meal free.

• Like 1

Tried a new restaurant/coffee shop today along the lines of Chiwit Thamada. It is called Melt in Your Mouth and is on the opposite side of the river from Chitwit. Very modern and beautifully decorated with comfortable chairs and tables indoors on two levels. Outside there is a large patio with tables for al fresco dining. Because it is new (opened Jan 1 of this year) there are not many mature trees to provide a cooling shade for outdoor seating.

I had a hot latte and it was excellent. Two of us ordered one pasta with mussels (big mussels, spicy and a bit sweet for my taste) and one sandwich (very tasty and generous) which came with side salad. Later ordered a macadamia cheesecake to eat there and a brownie cheesecake to take home. The mac cheesecake was soooooo good. Plenty of nuts with a delicious caramel topping over a very tasty cheesecake, not too wet, not too dry! The prices are a big high for CR. Our lunch came to 700 baht even. But, the water was cold and free! ! !

Easy to get to. Heading into the city from the north I crossed over the bridge that is on the old CR road heading to the police station. Made my first left off of the bridge (not the u-turn road, the next left). I was surprised to see that there were ample signs announcing the distance to the restaurant as soon as you made the left. The restaurant is at the end of the promenade that follows the river bank.

Good menu, good food, great coffee, killer desserts!

No, I am not affiliated in any way shape or form with this establishment!!!!

Photo thumbnails below (from iPhone - sorry):

post-171103-0-80223400-1393919276_thumb.

post-171103-0-88586700-1393919296_thumb.

post-171103-0-87343500-1393919316_thumb.

post-171103-0-91756200-1393919352_thumb.

post-171103-0-06955600-1393919371_thumb.

post-171103-0-86139500-1393919384_thumb.

post-171103-0-96826100-1393919398_thumb.

post-171103-0-89725700-1393919412_thumb.

post-171103-0-53277600-1393919425_thumb.

post-171103-0-53036700-1393919438_thumb.

post-171103-0-03813500-1393919454_thumb.

post-171103-0-14723100-1393919466_thumb.

post-171103-0-79251500-1393919479_thumb.

post-171103-0-39133300-1393919495_thumb.

post-171103-0-87193800-1393919509_thumb.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'd heard a couple of reports about this place so when we noticed it yesterday near the prison decided to call in.

IMG_2904.jpg

The menu was comprehensive but we were informed there was no steak, the supplier had let them down.

I ordered a Mexican selection while my companion went with the spareribs.

I'm not really familiar with American style spare ribs but they were moist and tender with a tomato sauce that did not appeal to me but the other side of the table gave it the thumbs up.

IMG_2907.jpg

The french fries were appalling, hard, cold and dry.

However the ribs turned out to be the highlight of the meal; a burritto and enchilada weren't bad, the sole stuffed chilli tasty while the taco serve a disappointment, the beef filling cold and tasteless in a cold shell with rather ordinary salsa.

The Mexican rice, something I usually enjoy was over dry. (Reheated?)

We waited nearly an hour even though there was one other couple before us, now this normally doesn't bother me on a lazy Sunday lunch in Thailand but the food, unfortunately, was barely worth the wait.

Nice friendly service that makes up for a lot.

Hopefully it was just a bad day, maybe a temporary cook working.

Any other experiences there?

• Like 1

I'd heard a couple of reports about this place so when we noticed it yesterday near the prison decided to call in.

The menu was comprehensive but we were informed there was no steak, the supplier had let them down.

I ordered a Mexican selection while my companion went with the spareribs.

I'm not really familiar with American style spare ribs but they were moist and tender with a tomato sauce that did not appeal to me but the other side of the table gave it the thumbs up.

The french fries were appalling, hard, cold and dry.

However the ribs turned out to be the highlight of the meal; a burritto and enchilada weren't bad, the sole stuffed chilli tasty while the taco serve a disappointment, the beef filling cold and tasteless in a cold shell with rather ordinary salsa.

The Mexican rice, something I usually enjoy was over dry. (Reheated?)

We waited nearly an hour even though there was one other couple before us, now this normally doesn't bother me on a lazy Sunday lunch in Thailand but the food, unfortunately, was barely worth the wait.

Nice friendly service that makes up for a lot.

Hopefully it was just a bad day, maybe a temporary cook working.

Any other experiences there?

Scea, as you know this place isn't that far from me.

The hamburger was recommended and it didn't let me down,

I really enjoyed it.

The waiting times to tend to be a problem. As the place has received good reviews,

it got quite popular so going at midday meant a long wait.

Being a "one man band", if there's more than a few tables, it's going to be a while.

Maybe not so long if you order Thai food.

It's good for me though as it's convenient but I admit to not going for a while.

• Like 1

I think the mexican platter is the best around here (lived in Texas 8 years), the burger very good and the breakfast very good. I like the fries. The only think the mexican rice is not for me. All bets off if there is a crowd. Does the best she can.

• Like 1

I'll definitely give the burger a try; she certainly struggles with multiple orders, maybe we should have suggested the food be brought out as it was cooked rather than all together.

I'm not sure how ribs are cooked, maybe they had to be baked which would have slowed things down.

As I said there was nothing resembling a crowd, only a guy and his wife and I'm think she had Thai food.

Next time!

• 3 weeks later...

Good grub at Le Meridien yesterday, I was particularly impressed with a baked tortilla slice that brought me back for seconds, seriously restricting my desert intake.

Nice baked "single" fish pies as well.

Seafood lovers will still not be disappointed here and the cheese platter was well up to standard.

• 3 weeks later...

Gang, was reading on another forum the other day about a new Western style restaurant in the city called Hungry Wolf's.

Have not been as yet but the place has been getting very good reviews.

It's located in the old Kai Sing Shabu Shabu building which is right across the street from the northeast corner of Edison's.

There are 2 entrances to Edisons Shopping mall. Hungry Wolf's is opposite the entrance on the street coming back from Wiang

Come Hotel.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like Dukes in Chiang Mai. Western style food and portions.

The pizza's and burgers especially, have been getting good comments.

Will visit shortly and report back.

Edited by Support
Post is allowed by admin
  • Like 1

Thanks for your 'report'. I will try their food and maybe meet some helpful people.

It's always nice to make new 'ties' with Chiang Rai Thais (foreign and domestic).

• Like 1

Gang, was reading on Chiang Rai Ties the other day about a new Western style restaurant in the city called Hungry Wolf's.

It's located in the old Kai Sing Shabu Shabu building which is right across the street from the northeast corner of Edison's.

There are 2 entrances to Edisons Shopping mall. Hungry Wolf's is opposite the entrance on the street coming back from Wiang

Come Hotel.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like Dukes in Chiang Mai. Western style food and portions.

Deja vu all over again!

• Like 1

Gang, was reading on Chiang Rai Ties the other day about a new Western style restaurant in the city called Hungry Wolf's.

Come Hotel.

Guys, while usually open for lunch (1130- 2100), they're having some scheduling issues so the current

opening times are: Mon-Fri hours are 1700 - closing (21:00 normally) and Sat-Sun hours are 11:30 to closing (21:00 normally).

I will report back with any changes and a review soon, I promisesmile.png

Edited by Rooo
Post OK
  • Like 1

Come Hotel.

Guys, while usually open for lunch (1130- 2100), they're having some scheduling issues so the current

opening times are: Mon-Fri hours are 1700 - closing (21:00 normally) and Sat-Sun hours are 11:30 to closing (21:00 normally).

I will report back with any changes and a review soon, I promisesmile.png

I'm alway looking for a good pizza. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Rooo
Post OK
  • Like 1

Gang, was reading on another forum the other day about a new Western style restaurant in the city called Hungry Wolf's.

Come Hotel.

Hungry Wolf's.

Gave this place a go a few days ago.

Phoned and ordered 2 medium pizza's and a Greek salad

for take away.

The pizza's, Seafood and My Big Fat Greek were great.

The best pizza I've tasted so far in Thailand.

Prices for the mediums, which are 40 cm are approx. 450 Baht.

There was nothing wrong with the Greek salad either.

Some may think they're expensive, but IMO, you generally get what

you pay for and I found them to be really good.

Be aware that the food takes a while. I ordered 30 minutes

ahead and still had a 20 minute wait. No biggie for me but

if you're pressed for time, maybe order a bit earlier.

It may just of been a one off though.

The place reminds me a bit of Dukes from CM.

IMO, a really good addition for CR. Western style food and portions.

Do yourself a favour and give it a crack.

• 1 month later...

I will second that the "My Big Fat Greek" Pizza is delicious. I get it every time I go. It does take a while, but they hand-toss the dough, and cook it in an oven. All fresh! So delicious! I don't eat meat, so I can't really say anything about the burgers, other than they are HUGE. The onion rings are pretty good too. I had fries the other night that were well beyond cooked, so that disappointed me a bit.

If you are looking for something fun to do on a Tuesday night, they also have a quiz night! its 50baht entry per person, and teams of no more than 4. First place gets like 75% of the winning pot and second place takes the rest. (It is in the form of hungry wolf dollars though). We start at 7:30 (not quite Thai time, but close). So if you know a lot of random things and want to show off how many random things you know, come join us on Tuesday nights!

• 4 weeks later...
Had lunch at Fuji yesterday and found they had a new menu. Lots of new dishes and the presentation has been upgraded on all the old standards.

The new Shabushi restaurant where Sixth Sense used to be is packed everyday with long lines hanging about in front of Starbucks. Not my favorite kind of restaurant but very popular, nonetheless.

Not sure if it is a good thing but it looks like the shorts and flipflop brigade have found the Meridien and no longer consider it too sophisticated for their taste. Progress marches on in good old Chiang Rai.

Had lunch at Fuji yesterday and found they had a new menu. Lots of new dishes and the presentation has been upgraded on all the old standards.
The new Shabushi restaurant where Sixth Sense used to be is packed everyday with long lines hanging about in front of Starbucks. Not my favorite kind of restaurant but very popular, nonetheless.
Not sure if it is a good thing but it looks like the shorts and flipflop brigade have found the Meridien and no longer consider it too sophisticated for their taste. Progress marches on in good old Chiang Rai.

The staff at the Meridien are polite and accommodating to all their customers, even judgmental snobs. Not sure if that's a good thing.

The whining about ‘actual’ restaurants and/or comments has hit upon an interesting point.

Does the city consider food stalls an ‘actual’ restaurant?

I see numerous vehicles lined up by the side of the road, next to a rice field, with people eating in a make-shift dining room. Is that an ‘actual’ restaurant, according to the city?

The original Op (in 2005!) asked for ‘good’ restaurants. One could interpret that as ‘good’ food’, or ‘good’ service, or ‘good’ environment, or all of the above.

And up until now, many posters have been happy to provide their opinions about what they think is a ‘good’ eating establishment.

But, off-topic demands for ‘actual’ restaurants and/or comments will pull this thread into a complex legal discussion.

Let’s stick to ‘good’ restaurants and let the city decide what is an ‘actual’ restaurant.

Has anybody tried the hot dog’s at 7-11?

Speaking of hot dogs. The best hotdog I have found in CR is at tbe airport Dairy Queen. Not found in Central though. No where as good as a Nathan's 100% kosher beef but good . Are 7_11's as good as cheap American hotdogs?

Bandu Pizza Garden - Was old Dutch restaurant in Chiang Mai city back when.

Located on road going to Pong Phra Bat waterfalls after Bandu Market. 1.15 kilometers from Hwy 1. Have to take small exit Soi.

post-42806-0-83992400-1407924264_thumb.j

post-42806-0-53355700-1407924351_thumb.j

post-42806-0-30487500-1407924411_thumb.j

post-42806-0-14822700-1407924895_thumb.j

post-42806-0-14041400-1407925113_thumb.j

post-42806-0-53846700-1407926301_thumb.p

Edited by bobbyd1
  • Like 2