Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

Sorry we missed you at Le Meridien Scea but we celebrated my wife’s birthday at Rai Boon Rawd yesterday with friends so two days in a row of dining out would have been a bit much.

I miss the old management at Le Meridien because they were always around and so hospitable but I have never even seen the new crew, even though they have been around for quite some time now.

Went to Le Meridien today, the price has gone up about 100B but the menu expanded to include oysters and Alaskan King crab.

Still a good lunch, regulars should get the Starwood hotels membership card giving you not only a discount on the meal but every tenth one is on the house.

What is the price now?

• 4 weeks later...

Had an enjoyable meal here. If you are looking for a balanced meal and not overeat, this is an excellent place to try out. Located in Bandu. Take Highway 1 going north. Turn right at four-way intersection (Rajabhat University cross road). Continue on just pass big overhead Market sign - turn right at first street and the restaurant is on the left, at corner, about 15 meters or so. See attached photo
Hours: 10:30 am to 9 pm. Closed on Tuesday - Prices run 80 to 120 baht per selection. Wine was very good.
“Bon Appetite “.

post-42806-0-75953400-1440120957_thumb.jpost-42806-0-32374500-1440120975_thumb.jpost-42806-0-67800800-1440120999_thumb.jpost-42806-0-69506600-1440121018_thumb.jpost-42806-0-88939500-1440121044_thumb.jpost-42806-0-25015400-1440121067_thumb.j

• Like 1

I was traveling with friends in the region last week, and when eating in a couple of restaurants were asked the "hot, medium or mild" question.

In both cases the food was good but the medium was mild and the hot less spicy than the medium in the first establishment.

I was wondering if the local nosh shops reduce the chili automatically for farangs, the only experience I can recall that reduced me to a tearful nose running wreck was a place out near the old airport that seemed to be full of students.

That was a few years back and I no longer seem to be able to find the place.

When we've gone to a new restaurant, my wife always states in the order tamada (original), when the staff look my way. Normally that will bring smiles to their faces when my wife explains to them that I'm used to Issan style cuisine and they can just make it as per the norm.
  • Like 1

I wish we had an area similar to Nimmanhaemin in Chiang Mai. The quality of hotels, restaurants and coffee shops in that area is so much better than anything we have here. Instead of sameness of tacky little shophouses, there are tree lined sois with converted houses and purpose built establishments with design elements one doesn’t see here. Then again, it does give one a good excuse to drive over the mountains from time to time.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the restaurant called 'Casa de Tapas' on the left hand side of the main road a few minutes after you pass Big C? Some authentic tapas sounds very appealing and a nice change, but I've had enough terrible Western food here to be a little wary.

Has anyone tried the restaurant called 'Casa de Tapas' on the left hand side of the main road a few minutes after you pass Big C? Some authentic tapas sounds very appealing and a nice change, but I've had enough terrible Western food here to be a little wary.

We have only been there once for lunch and we were the only patrons. I am guessing they are more of a dinner place. The food was okay but we haven’t been back, if that says anything. It is probably worth a try so you can form your own opinion.

• Like 1

We hit there for Sunday lunch a couple of times, the first was a great success, the second and third a little disappointing.

There seemed to have been a staff change, I have the beef shaslik and at that price expect the chef to have a better understanding of concepts like rare, medium etc.

I don't think I'll go back until I see a positive review.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Trend Setters

There's a newish, well it's new to me anyway, place that serves

Muslim food, near the Den Ha traffic lights opposite Tesco Lotus.

Popped in today for the first time. Had the goat with yellow rice and it was delicious.

Also tried the naan bread with bean curry and it was delightful.

I've heard their coffee's are really good but didn't try one this time.

They also have parking at the front which is a bonus.

Do yourself a favour and have a look.

This place has recently undergone a revamp and is now called Mariny by Marina Indian Restaurant.

A whole new menu is in force and the opening hours are 1000 - 2000.

By all reports, the menu is a hit and the food is as tasty as ever.

Parking at the front is also a bonus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch at Chiang Rai United cafe near the airport today.

Got off to bad start, the coffee was not good so we switched to iced tea.

Ordered 5 small courses the highlights of which were the chicken and cashew nuts in which I counted 20 dried chilies and some fried meatballs that were light and tasty.

The fried shrimp were ok as well.

600B with two coffees and two large iced teas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Le Meridian is having a New Year's function?

I was at the one last year. It was okay but nothing great. Then again I could care less about New Years. The entertainment was okay but I found the whole thing to be pretty dull. There might have been 50 people there. We will not be going this year. Odds are just staying at home.

We also did Christmas last here and will be at both the one on Christmas and Christmas Eve. That was great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow 29 pages that goes back years....maybe time to start a new updated pinned topic on restaurants?

Anyway.....one called 71 degrees celsius serves nice bbq pork ribs as well as fish/chips and many other dishes.

It is located just down from Den Ha near the military plant nursery on the corner...

Big portions, reasonable prices, excellent service. Mostly thai but scattering of farangs. Our server spoke decent English and they have menu in English as well.

• Like 2

They do a great Christmas Eve and Christmas meal as well. We will be there for both this year!

Don't plan to cook for the holiday. The Le Meridien Christmas Eve looks great. I guess we could go back for Christmas day lunch. But are any of the other hotels doing Christmas dinner?