Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

Just read the most recent stuff.

To be fair most people want to read interesting or informative posts on this forum but no one wants to contribute or share their own experiences. A forum is not some magical entity, it is simply a bunch of people sitting at their computers from time to time. Some people are great at tearing it down and getting themselves banned because of their bad behavior but very few want to make a positive contribution. I don’t believe it is realistic to expect more from the forum than one is willing to give.

Edited by villagefarang

Chivit Thamma Da Coffee House, Le Meridien, Bhubhirom Restaurant, Leelawadee, Art Bridge, Larb Sanam Gila, and a few restaurants and stalls at Central Plaza come to mind off the top of my head but we live an hour drive from town and usually only eat lunch in town. People who live in town and eat out more often are in a much better position to post about where they eat.

I'm in a similar position, I wouldn't eat an evening meal in town once a year on the average.

I'm interested in the new restaurant being built on the lake about a km off the old Chiang Mai road going out of town.

There was a good place for Thai food on the same site there in the past.

On the western side of the lake is another restaurant that is always packed at lunch time that I keep meaning to try.

Chivit Thamma Da Coffee House, Le Meridien, Bhubhirom Restaurant, Leelawadee, Art Bridge, Larb Sanam Gila, and a few restaurants and stalls at Central Plaza come to mind off the top of my head but we live an hour drive from town and usually only eat lunch in town. People who live in town and eat out more often are in a much better position to post about where they eat.

I live out of town as well. But when in town shopping I always like to treat myself to a nice lunch. This is a helpful list of places to track down as an alternative to the Central Plaza places.

• Like 2

I live out of town as well. But when in town shopping I always like to treat myself to a nice lunch. This is a helpful list of places to track down as an alternative to the Central Plaza places.

If you really want to find new places to eat, a simple Google Search for Chiang Rai Restaurants will present you with a ton of options. These days we are spoiled for sources of information about Chiang Rai. Social media, travel sites, online magazines, newspapers and plain old search make forums like these almost irrelevant as a source of information. Some people will repackage information for you but I always prefer going to the source.

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got round to trying that Casa de Tapas place last night. Pricey, but we really enjoyed the food and will go back. My wife's lamb was great, my chicken in red wine sauce was falling off the bone, and our son's prawn and pesto spaghetti was great too. They also have a nice selection of wine and beer, and some great desserts. Well recommended.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of the nieces got married yesterday and they held the ceremony and reception at the hill top Boon Rawd Farm (Singha Park) Restaurant.

Certainly a good spot for this type of occasion; the food was quite good and we were kept well supplied with soft drinks and water by an attentive staff.

We'll go back for a proper meal some time and repeat the fresh tea leaves deep fried in a light batter and the whole shrimp in a chili sauce that was just short of the pain barrier.

• Like 2

There was a fine display of fruit and other produce next to the marriage ceremony stage and I casually mentioned to a family member how much I like the Som-O/Pomelo that was represented by two magnificent specimens and how hard they were to find at this time of the year.

They were delivered to my door with the compliments of the bride just now.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had an afternoon meal at The Barn Pizzeria at Boon Rawd Park.

Pizzas, calzone and starters were fine... quite large at around 300B and draft beer was available in pitchers and by the glass.

No wine by the glass which I thought a bit strange but bottles were around 1000B.

Tables had been set up outside for the evening and live music was being got ready.

The house music was 70s pop.

We barely ate half the order but they cheerfully boxed the remainder up for take out.

Friendly and quick service.

• Like 1

Another enjoyable Chiang Rai experience at Melt In Your Mouth today.

I've seen the signs for a while, just north of the new bridge, and decided to take coffee there with a view to checking it out.

Coffee was great, but the food looked first class, fresh and well presented.

Prices on a par with the other other river front eateries.

post-38081-14638985159999_thumb.jpgpost-38081-14638985750296_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We only had a piece of cake which i thought was above the usual CR coffee shop standard.

The pasta seemed to be very popular and my friend got very excited when he saw Dutch style croquettes being brought out.

We finally made it to the Chivit Thamma Da Coffee House over the weekend and were suitably impressed, we can highly recommend.

We also spent two nights at The Legend, the restaurant of which we cannot recommend.

• Like 1

Found a little Thai place just a couple doors down from HomePro. Have driven right by countless times and never noticed it, but a friend recently took us there. The name is Ban Luk Sao (according to my wife), but no English sign. Attractive modern style building. We have stopped for lunch a few times now after leaving HomePro. Food and service very good. Som tom excellent. Menu has a lot of interesting seafood items that seem to be more geared to the dinner crowd. Well worth a try, you just have to slow down after HomePro to find it.

• Like 2

Found a little Thai place just a couple doors down from HomePro. Have driven right by countless times and never noticed it, but a friend recently took us there. The name is Ban Luk Sao (according to my wife), but no English sign. Attractive modern style building. We have stopped for lunch a few times now after leaving HomePro. Food and service very good. Som tom excellent. Menu has a lot of interesting seafood items that seem to be more geared to the dinner crowd. Well worth a try, you just have to slow down after HomePro to find it.

I know it, we've been there a few times. Nice food, and they have a trampoline which our son loves :D

• 2 weeks later...

Who likes can enjoy a really italian pizza made from someone professional.

Before have notorious restaurant for more than 10 years in Koh Samui.

The name of the restaurant is

Chef Zaza near Wiang inn hotel night bazaar Chiang Rai.

I still not try the food but friends who did say

in something for the town

we still cannot believe really exist.

After decades where the western food in chiang rai

was a really big problem

finally we resolve.

The success of the place is under eye of everybody

also if is still low season.

Edited by siriweith

Sasa

Who likes can enjoy a really italian pizza made from someone professional.

Before have notorious restaurant for more than 10 years in Koh Samui.

The name of the restaurant is

Chef Zaza near Wiang inn hotel night bazaar Chiang Rai.

I still not try the food but friends who did say

in something for the town

we still cannot believe really exist.

After decades where the western food in chiang rai

was a really big problem

finally we resolve.

The success of the place is under eye of everybody

also if is still low season.

• 2 weeks later...

Had an afternoon meal at The Barn Pizzeria at Boon Rawd Park.

Pizzas, calzone and starters were fine... quite large at around 300B and draft beer was available in pitchers and by the glass.

No wine by the glass which I thought a bit strange but bottles were around 1000B.

Tables had been set up outside for the evening and live music was being got ready.

The house music was 70s pop.

We barely ate half the order but they cheerfully boxed the remainder up for take out.

Friendly and quick service.

My wife and I were there last week I had the pepperoni pizza and it was one of the best in the area. My wife ordered the cheese pizza and was very disappointed. It came with 3-4 scopes of butter on top. Who puts butter on pizza.[emoji30]. We also ordered an appetizer, tomato and mozzarella cheese with olive oil and vinegar. Forgot the name but it was very good. We'll be back

I was sitting in a hotel 24 hour bar/restaurant in another country at 4am one Christmas morning (don't ask) and a very drunk German came in and order a pizza "with bacon".

When it arrived he sent it back and insisted that the bacon had to be raw. rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been posted before... Kazuki Yakiniku (Translated as Grill Meat or BBQ Meat). Near Mae Fah Luang market or you can check the name in FaceBook...

Very satisfying dinner for my family of 3, check bill 1'000 Baht. Open from 5pm - 10pm.

Enjoy !

post-42398-0-20682700-1467044002_thumb.jpost-42398-0-19044200-1467044004_thumb.jpost-42398-0-00796200-1467044005_thumb.jpost-42398-0-07578600-1467044024_thumb.jpost-42398-0-93309000-1467044024_thumb.jpost-42398-0-81182200-1467044025_thumb.jpost-42398-0-52788000-1467044026_thumb.jpost-42398-0-24111100-1467044027_thumb.jpost-42398-0-12980400-1467044034_thumb.jpost-42398-0-39979100-1467044035_thumb.jpost-42398-0-32590700-1467044036_thumb.jpost-42398-0-35786100-1467044037_thumb.jpost-42398-0-40357900-1467044038_thumb.jpost-42398-0-09020300-1467044019_thumb.j

Edit = The only complain that I have : Table too SMALL (size)... I ordered a lot of items... Food was great !!! (at least for me) The New Zealand mussels was a steal. (Green Shell ? Then why is it so Affordable ? Owner must have some good contacts !)

Edited by RedBullHorn

Had a great lunch at the Canary Lodge resort on the Khun Korn waterfall road yesterday.

We ordered the Northern Thai selection, four dishes with a side of spicy rice noodle salad, the name escapes me, for three people and all were excellent examples of local cuisine without being too heavy on the chili.

The kitchen is Tai Yai so some influences there as well, the padthai tai yai is worth trying.

Price would have been well under 500B total for food.

We were told that they have a new, more comprehensive menu underway, just waiting for pricing from head office.

• Like 1

Good meal at Jatujak restaurant this week on one of my rare evenings in town.

A shared plate of horses doovers and four other dishes... spicy grilled beef, crisp fried pork, etc with two local beers, a glass of wine and a soda water came to a fraction over a thousand baht.

Nicely presented, the chef appears well trained.

Nice staff, the waitress was learning the trade but very keen and attentive.

We were asked if we were ready for the next courses..

Most here would have walked past this place a number of times, you leave the Doi Chaang Coffee shop walking south over the intersection and it's the one with the full glass window.

No lunches, opens at 5.

I'd recommend it for a quiet meal when in the mood for a little bit of a classier ambience.

Edited by sceadugenga

last night we went in one new pizzeria inside singha park

spaghetti with panna and salmon was incredible good portion not too much but was not expensive 160 thai baht

the cheese in the pizza is not real mozzarella

but pizza is not bad for sametimes 2 3 time a year

2 pizza 1 pasta 2 dessert 1 draft bear 3 soft drink 1200 baht

the place is beautiful and for to be friday nobody 2 3 table only

perfect for relax open 11 am and close soon around 21 o clock

no price in the list of pizza and i think this is expensive in the total bill

dessert 55 baht each one soft drink 15 thai baht

draft bear small 100 baht but i buy big

Edited by siriweith
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...