Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

The Condotel restaurant has been closed for a while so we called in yesterday for coffee and maybe lunch when we drove past and saw it had reopened.

Much to our surprise we were presented with a menu offering a selection of Maltese dishes.

I was more than willing to try the pasta or a pizza but my dining companion would not consider it.

I can only assume that the Maltese must have invaded his part of Europe back in Medieval times and he holds a grudge.

He never appreciated my "how do you make a Maltese Cross" joke either. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The Art Bridge restaurant is under new ownership, and the food is much worse off for it. It's now a 'Lanna Fusion' restaurant, which seems to just be northern Thai food. That would be fine if the new chef was as good as the old one, but it wasn't very nice. A shame, because we used to love it there.

• Like 1

Recently discovered a great little restaurant called Barrab.

It's about 100 meters from the Golden Clock Tower, heading West on the North Side of the Street.

The owner is really helpful, she lived in Australia for about 10 years so it's to be expected:)

Their Hang Lay curry is absolute heaven.

Do yourself a favour and have a look.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/07/2016 at 6:48 PM, Bardeh said:

The Art Bridge restaurant is under new ownership, and the food is much worse off for it. It's now a 'Lanna Fusion' restaurant, which seems to just be northern Thai food. That would be fine if the new chef was as good as the old one, but it wasn't very nice. A shame, because we used to love it there.

We ate there today and didn't think the food was too bad.

Granted as first timers we had nothing previous to compare it to.

I'd certainly take people there to try Lanna food in small serves and well presented dishes at a reasonable price; 5 dishes and 4 coffees, 600B.

A bit surprised to see grated carrot in the SomTan, I suppose that was the fusion bit.... B)

• 4 weeks later...

As I suspect the etiquette may be to introduce oneself, hello, I am new to this forum.

I lived in Thailand a couple of decades ago and am visiting as I consider retiring here. The wife, who is Thai - but now a westernized one - is not as enthusiastic about this thinking as I am. I suspect some of you have been down this path.

Cheers,

DL

Edited by LD Lee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LD Lee said:

As I suspect the etiquette may be to introduce oneself, hello, I am new to this forum.

I lived in Thailand a couple of decades ago and am visiting as I consider retiring here. The wife, who is Thai - but now a westernized one - is not as enthusiastic about this thinking as I am. I suspect some of you have been down this path.

Cheers,

DL

Welcome.  

Be sure to check out the other forums.  It will be worth your time.

Good luck on your visit.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LD Lee said:

Village Farang, Looks tasty. Would those be sun dried tomatoes in that salad? 

9 hours ago, LD Lee said:

Cheers,

DL

They do look a little like dried tomatoes but it is actually bacon.  Romain, cheese, cherry tomatoes, croutons and bacon with a Cesar dressing.

Your wife’s hesitation is very understandable, especially from someone who made a life for themselves overseas.  Reverse culture shock can be hard to overcome.  Thailand has modernized considerably but a woman will still feel some restraints and may find it hard to find friends who understand her life experiences.

While forums like this can provide some relief for you, they do absolutely nothing to help your wife.  I am sure that together you will work out something that works for both of you.

Welcome to Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LD Lee said:

Cheers,

DL

Welcome to the forum.

Your wife may find that Chiang Rai has become westernized as well in the last two decades so it could work out.

Mine lived in Europe for a number of years, speaks German, English and some French and could not wait to get back here.

I suspect that, at the end of the day, it's all about the food. :rolleyes:

Edited by sceadugenga

• 1 month later...

I'm going to give this (nameless) place another plug, we've known about it's bbq chicken for a while, she sells 80 a day, but today we lunched there.

A chicken, somtan and nam tok moo that we ordered arrived pronto, if there was a menu we did not see one.

All fresh and spicey for 190B

On your right driving out of town on the old Chiang Mai road, opposite the failed supermarket.

You'll see the smoke of the footpath grills.

Don't let the decor put you off.

File 13-11-2016, 1 36 26 PM.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Decided on upmarket today so emailed Le Meridien for a booking.

Brunch is only on the first Sunday of the month now.

So we headed for Chivit Thamma Da  only to be told by the carpark guys to take a number and there was a one hour wait for a table.

So we went somewhere different, I had Salmon Nam Tok, my companion Angus beef....

with fries...

on a bun...

At Macdonalds. :wink:

6 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Decided on upmarket today so emailed Le Meridien for a booking.

Brunch is only on the first Sunday of the month now.

So we headed for Chivit Thamma Da  only to be told by the carpark guys to take a number and there was a one hour wait for a table.

So we went somewhere different, I had Salmon Nam Tok, my companion Angus beef....

with fries...

on a bun...

At Macdonalds. :wink:

No wine?

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:55 PM, sceadugenga said:

Visited this place for take away and it was really good.

Ordered the Capricciosa pizza, Greek salad and Lasagne.

All 3 dishes were great.
Could not fault any of them.
The complimentary bread was a nice touch also.

Wait time was short as well.

Definitely returning to this place.

Located at the orange marker on this Google map-  https://goo.gl/maps/47YHtp6AwxR2

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A lovely new restaurant / coffee shop in town:  Am not sure of its real name, but the sign in front says something like; FOOD / BREAD / COFFEE / TEA.     It's small, very nice interior design, clean, and located right next to Siam Commercial Bank.   West of downtown is Ratyota road, going north-south.   The restaurant is about 80 meters north of the major intersection with Nakai/Sangkongnoi road and Ratyota, on west side.    

The menu is half coffee shop specialties and half Muslim food.   Low prices, quick service, lovely waitresses.

• 1 month later...

Friend just took us to the Wanderer by the river. I was impressed with the food and the variety on the menu. Nice garden setting, but I wonder if the mosquitos are a problem in the evening. Now I have a new lunch alternative to Chivitt.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This place looks interesting.

This is Chiang Rai's most exciting restaurant opening in forever

Chiang Rai's most exciting restaurant opening in a long, long time, Locus Native Food Lab showcases chef Kongwuth Chaiwongkachon's dedication to local produce and unique takes on familiar Thai dishes.

Known for his time in Japanese kitchens like Thonglor's defunct Kaguya and Chiang Mai's Ren at Dhara Dhevi, the chef is now taking an altogether different path at his new restaurant. “Everything changed after I took a trip into Hin Lad Nai forest where I saw the balanced way the hilltribe people there live with nature. Now I cook for a reason—to show people how local wisdom is important to all of us,” Kongwuth said. 

Here at Locus, it’s all about native products, and it's not limited to the food. From the first glance at the hybrid clay-concrete house with its cogon grass roof to the mat of plaited yang plant, the owner's appreciation of local craftsmanship becomes apparent.

Each night, Kongwuth serves only a single group of diners (from 1-20 people), attentively telling the story behind each dish in the 10-course tasting menu (B950/person).

Spotlighting Northern Thailand’s abundant produce, the chef remakes traditional dishes with no-frills techniques—no sous vide, no foams, no faux caviar or any modern gastronomy gimmicks—yielding textures and depth while retaining familiar flavors. While dining, you might see him at work using old-school equipment, like the steaming cloth-top pot for making kao kriab pak mor (steamed rice dumplings) or a vintage ice shaving machine.

Kongwuth's take on the traditional sa ba tang cucumber spicy salad comes in the form of a light and refreshing lemongrass chiffon cake, spicy cucumber sorbet and crispy nam pu (crab sauce), while his namprik orng (tomato and mince relish) comes simply plated among a variety of blanched veggies.

The chef also employs some Japanese techniques he has mastered through his career, resulting the tender pork chashu in his kua kae (stir-fried curry with veggies).

171/5 B. Santarnlhuang, T. Rimkok, A. Muang, Chiang Rai, 086-881-7299. Open Tue-Sun 6pm-late. Reservations only

• Like 2