Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

7 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Thanks for this!

Hope I can find it!

charlie

Charlie, If it is "All about Sweet" then I am sure I have seen it in this area (red ring in the pic). 

I will try it myself with wife soon! 

/7

AllAboutSweet.JPG

Ah yes, Farmland Chiang Rai!!

I was thinking that might be the area, but I did not remember the name.

Thanks to everyone for chipping in!!

What really interests me is "wood fired pizza". If they do it well it should be excellent.

Any idea of what day they close?

cb

Charlie said:

"What really interests me is "wood fired pizza". If they do it well it should be excellent.

Any idea of what day they close?"

When we were there yesterday for lunch the Pizza oven was running. 

You find a telephone number in the Google Map link so you can ask when they are open/closed. 

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/V8p3NAc4EAD2

I had Spaghetti Carbonara and it was very good, wife had Fried Rice with Fried Fish and she was also very happy. 

Lot of parking if you drive in all the way passing the restaurant.

180611AASweet-7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the Wanderer this afternoon, cup for cup I think it's still one of the best coffees around.

The food is always good but the service was ordinary today.

There appeared to be senior staff/owner absent, we had to ask for cutlery and salt and one meal never turned up so we asked for an extra plate to share.

Still worth a trip though, the pies and cake look fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2018 at 2:04 PM, sceadugenga said:

Driven past this place many times and finally called in today.

The coffee was good and the food cheap and enjoyable.

I had the Vietnamese Wraps off the daily specials board (was warned they took a bit longer) and they were delicious with their sauce and fitted my daily diet plan perfectly.

Uses local organic produce.

Huaen Arharn Baan Cafe

160 Moo 5 Tumbon Maekorn
Chiang Rai, Thailand 57000

Capture.PNG.2166c8a9c517733e29ffd0f2032c112e.PNG

I'll give this place another plug, had lunch there today, all fresh homegrown ingredients, we both had pork in basil... pad kapow?... with a superb omelet to share.

The eggs are from their own chickens so I bought some for take out.

Three dishes, four coffees, ten eggs: about 390B?

• Like 2

The wraps are different to what I've had before, containing only salad ingredients.

The sauce is great.

One of the little food places downstairs at Central appears to still do them but I've only seen her make them on request.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a long story - I was driving in town Saturday and thought I'd grab an early dinner at Central.  After crawling through the carpark I left irritated after not finding an open spot. 

However, I turned left at the light onto San Kok Chang and saw a new place that I've been watching them build just across from the Pro Gym. Wow. It's called Paam Sai Aua. Beautiful large wood building with a Northern Thai menu. But what a menu. It's extensive with everything from fish and meat to frog and ant eggs. It took us a long time to decide what to have as there were so many interesting choices. Prices might be considered a little bit high-side at B150-300 but well worth it. 

We really enjoyed our choices and intend to go back many times to explore the menu.  Sufficient parking in back so I can now forget Central on the weekends.

sign.jpg

menu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried the Roadside Cafe and Bar today after hearing good reports.

Friend had an American style chili-dog which he enjoyed and I had a bowl of chicken curry with naan bread which was nice also, the chicken having been shredded off the bone for 100% consumptionability.

Other items on the small menu looked interesting, including the ribs.

Not expensive.

To find it go out past the Chiang Rai Deli and it's opposite the mini-soccer pitches on your left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

Tried the Roadside Cafe and Bar today after hearing good reports.

Friend had an American style chili-dog which he enjoyed and I had a bowl of chicken curry with naan bread which was nice also, the chicken having been shredded off the bone for 100% consumptionability.

Other items on the small menu looked interesting, including the ribs.

Not expensive.

To find it go out past the Chiang Rai Deli and it's opposite the mini-soccer pitches on your left.

Not familiar with that area. But sounds interesting and worth the effort to find.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Had some business in town today and was persuaded to take lunch at the new Mexican restaurant, Sabroso.

My companion had the chips and salsa, a large serve that he said could have been a little more spicy.

My soft shell chicken tacos, while long in coming, were excellent, the sauce tasty and spicy.

The prices are great, most meals under 200B., 

It's on your left just over the new bridge coming from town.

I hadn't heard of this so thanks for the tip! ? I'll try to find it.  Sorry, but which one is the new bridge?? 

An enjoyable evening at Barn House Pizza in Singha Park tonight.

The weather after the rain was beautiful, cool and with clear views of the mountains.

Thumbs up to the Hof beer, alcohol free (no other choice for me) but very well flavored.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Italian-Restaurant/Barn-House-Pizzeria-1708319972743559/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2018 at 6:37 PM, sceadugenga said:

Had some business in town today and was persuaded to take lunch at the new Mexican restaurant, Sabroso.

My companion had the chips and salsa, a large serve that he said could have been a little more spicy.

My soft shell chicken tacos, while long in coming, were excellent, the sauce tasty and spicy.

The prices are great, most meals under 200B.

It's on your left just over the new bridge coming from town.

Running errands on Saturday and stopped here for lunch. Not bad Mexican food. I dare say best (only) Mexican in Chiang Rai. Nice that they have their own carpark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back Home Restaurant in the Condotel

I was back today for dinner and here is the reason:  See photos ! 
The Special was very, very good and I could hardly eat all. I took the beef one.  
I met many friends there, the place starts to get very popular and I understand why.
The third photo is of Steve, the Chef from England (actually born in Scotland). I had a few words with him, a very nice guy. 
And yes, I will be back! 

RestCondotel-2.JPG

RestCondotel-1.JPG

RestCondotel-3.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hola Everyone!  Some of you suggested that I jump in here and offer a few comments about SABROSO, to answer some of the questions floating around.  So here it goes...  I hope this helps!

My name is Hector, and I'm the chef at SABROSO.  I am from Mexico, born and raised in the city of Chihuahua, and I moved from there to Chiang Rai with my family four years ago.  Most of the recipes we use at the restaurant are my mom's recipes, and she is still helping us "in the kitchen" by sending us many of the ingredients to us from back home!  (Making chorizo and cochinita with only local ingredients just doesn't hit the spot!!)

Some people might notice that our food is a bit different from what they are used to eating as "Mexican."  The main reason, I think, is that most people in international settings are more used to Tex-Mex food.  (Nothing wrong with Tex-Mex.  My wife and I actually like it every now and then, but it's just not what we are about here).  Here are some of the general differences you might notice while eating at SABROSO:

a) Lack of fat Burritos (stuffed with beans, rice, yellow cheese, lettuce, and other things we Mexicans would just never combine in a burrito).  Also, be careful, lest you drop salsa on your lap:  Mexican burritos are not wrapped at the bottom! :)

b) No cumin - we don't use it much in Mexico, while it's in every dish in Tex-Mex

c) Where are the hard-shell tacos?!  First time I ever saw these was at a party in Missouri, USA, and I had to ask what they were or where they came from!  :)  Sorry... not to be found in Mexico at all.

d) Quesadillas.  In Mexico City, a quesadilla is basically a large corn-tortilla taco with meat (the cheese is optional and additional).  In the rest of the country, though, a quesadilla is a big flour tortilla with melted cheese inside (never yellow cheddar, please!!!).  This is the kind we serve at SABROSO, since it's what I grew up eating (and since the word quesadilla comes from the word queso - cheese).  :)  I recommend ordering it with chorizo - super good!

e) Salsa/sauce.  The word salsa in Spanish literally means sauce.  At SABROSO we have several kinds of "salsas" you can choose from, depending on your dish: Colorado (think enchiladas, huevos rancheros), Toreada (our signature roasted-chili sauce), Chipotle (creamy with a mild kick), Casera (think chunky Salsa), and Sofrito (not spicy at all).  All served HOT (cold salsas are good for fast-food joints only)!

f) No added MSG.  In most Tex-Mex restaurants, MSG is added for sauce texture.  At SABROSO we don't use it at all, and we use Natural bullion that has no MSG and no gluten.

g) Chimichangas.  Yes, they are very Tex-Mex... and yes, we serve them at SABROSO :)  It's the one Tex-Mex item we included in the menu, as a nod to my wife's Texan heritage.  However, we skillet-fry them, we don't deep-fry them (which would be an attempt to turn a burrito into a giant french-fry).

h) No sour cream.  Nope, not used in Mexico.  There (and here at SABROSO) we use crema, which is a thick version of cooking cream.  But we can whip it thicker if you'd like, to go better with that chimichanga.

We are open Tuesday through Saturday, 11:00 to 20:00  (11:00 AM to 8:00 PM).  We might open more days in the future, but that's all we can handle for now.  Keep in mind that Taco Tuesdays and Torta Thursdays are good opportunities to eat good stuff at a deep discount.

Location: Just write SABROSO in Google Maps, and it comes up.  We're located right north of the new bridge on Klang Wiang road.  That is, going north from the Night bazaar and Swensen's, you'll go past the police station and then across a bridge over the Mae Kok river.  You'll see us on your left right past the bridge, by the Stone Wall Co-Working and the Today Bar.

I hope this answers some of the questions some of you might've had...  If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to reply here.  Or better yet, come and see us!

Nos vemos pronto!

Hector and the SABROSO team

Food6.JPG

Flautas.JPG

Food2.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

At the last minute decided to go to the Meridian for the Christmas Day buffet dinner. The food was fabulous. Rock lobster, ham, turkey, suckling pig, sushi... all great. I heard they have a new chef. Sure a little pricey, but it was Christmas. Surprised that it wasn't more packed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1