Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

21 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

They have some excellent food there. 

How much was the meal?

I think their weekday breakfast is a great value!

cb

I was disappointed in a couple of the buffets in the past and stopped going. Went to the little Italian restaurant instead. But this new chef is great. All the food was well prepared and delicious. This was a special holiday meal that included a drink and a show for about 1,500. Not sure what the usual buffets cost. Apparently, the hotel advertised the holiday specials on FB, but I only looked at their regular web page and didn't see any mention of it.

• Thanks 1

A group of us who were there last year decided to go elsewhere this year.  If they are finally working on correcting some of their issues, then that is good news.  The problem is, many of us have found better alternatives and it might be difficult to get us back.

I can't say I am surprised there weren't more people there.

12 hours ago, villagefarang said:

A group of us who were there last year decided to go elsewhere this year.  If they are finally working on correcting some of their issues, then that is good news.  The problem is, many of us have found better alternatives and it might be difficult to get us back.

I can't say I am surprised there weren't more people there.

Chatted with the manager and he hinted that the local expat community backs away from his buffet prices that are high relative to other local alternatives. I suppose true enough as I only go there for special occasions such as Xmas, anniversaries and birthdays. 

There's always the Chivit Thamma Da and I enjoy the Rib Co. But what are other alternatives if you want a special occasion dinner? I haven't really tried any of the other high end hotels.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Manassas said:

Chatted with the manager and he hinted that the local expat community backs away from his buffet prices that are high relative to other local alternatives. I suppose true enough as I only go there for special occasions such as Xmas, anniversaries and birthdays. 

There's always the Chivit Thamma Da and I enjoy the Rib Co. But what are other alternatives if you want a special occasion dinner? I haven't really tried any of the other high end hotels.

For those of us who used to dine there regularly, price was not the issue.  Food quality and selection is much more important.  They upped the price and lowered the quality and selection to maximize their profit.

This year a bunch of us went to Hungry Wolf for Christmas.  The food was very good and the owner very hospitable.  Their new location is a big improvement over the old one.

Chivit Thamma Da is of course a favorite and we have had a few private parties upstairs.

The restaurants at Singha Park are very good and the location is beautiful.  There are a few others we have been to with friends but I don’t remember the details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't believe I forgot to mention Chef Kong.  If you are up for something truly amazing and local, an evening at Chef Kong’s restaurant is unforgettable.  Locus Native Food Lab is hard to describe in a few words so checkout their FaceBook Page.  It is a Chef's Table with limited seating and must be booked in advance.

• Thanks 1

When he opened it was 990 baht, I believe, but over time it has crept up to 1500 baht for a ten course meal prepared right in front of you.  It is a set menu which changes each month but he will ask you about allergies and make adjustments where necessary.  He has recently started requiring a deposit when you make a booking.

I have seen as many as fifteen or sixteen people there but that means he has to divide his time between the counter and the main table, which is not ideal.  Six people sitting at the counter, being able to interact with him throughout the meal is perfect.  He is extremely articulate and passionate about what he does (Thai and English) and I always enjoy the conversation as much as the food.

Scroll through the photos on FaceBook to get an idea of the kind of food he serves and whether or not it might appeal to your individual pallet. 

Edited by villagefarang
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

smokie here VF....back in Chiang Rai for a visit!

Had dinner tonight at Chor Charoenchai and have to say every dish was excellent.

Looking forward to some more culinary delights tomorrow. :biggrin:

Well that is truly a name from the infamous past. I’m sure you’re having a great time in  Chiangrai, enjoy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Hi Ronnie,

Chor Charoenchai

Is this a person's name, or...??

How to find out more?

Its on Sanam Bin....can't miss it since it will be rammed with Thais.

They do have an English menu.

• Thanks 1

I can't vouch for the restaurant but this is what I found.

They spelled Khaw Tom wrong for some reason but the map below shows the location.

Khao Tom Restaurant, Charoenchai Road, Chiang Rai
400/11 Sanambin Rd, ตำบล เวียง อำเภอ เมืองเชียงราย Chang Wat Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand
+66 53 712 731
https://goo.gl/maps/vCapELtQhLu

Edited by villagefarang
  • Thanks 2

Thanks VF...we ate there twice in fact.

The mushrooms were especially good as is a prawn and egg dish and the duck.

There are many excellent Thai restaurants however in the Rai as you know you lucky beggars!

Back in Bangkok now so you can sleep easy. :biggrin:

Edit: The eggplant also very tasty.

Edited by smokie36
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A friend showed us a new place I hadn't heard of. Ban Mai Coffee. Way out in the country on a very large lake. Nice coffee and a limited but tasty lunch menu. The view is the feature of the place. Nice destination if you want a pleasant drive in the country. Just google map it if interested.

ban mai.jpg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

I got taken to lunch at Sanfran Burger and Beer today, apparently it moved to that little soi that cuts the corner off by the Clocktower, there's a few night opening bars there.

The burgers were tasty and inexpensive, I think the bill was about 350B for two and two soft drinks.

Not a big menu, a ground beef and a ground pork in two sizes.

Comes with wedges.

I thought it was a good quick lunch option.

Can you please give directions. If it helps i know whare the previous location was.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone missing their Doi Chaang Coffee fix after the demise of the former popular city cafe should get down to the one on Talanai road, just around the corner from the Provincial Court.

Great coffee in very pleasant garden surroundings, a perfect city center break.

IMG20190518111700.thumb.jpg.57917e690c7dc576f23b2f25b5cc1e29.jpg

IMG20190518111710.jpg

IMG20190518112323.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, charliebadenhop said:

About 40 minutes out of town, I believe Regallo is the best. 

Some people have liked Food Wishes, (IF that is the right name) in Bandu. I had a mixed experience there.

Any more info on Regallo? Google is giving me nothing

• Like 1