Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

At the risk of starting a hamburger war, a friend gave Heaven Burger in Jed Yod full marks yesterday.

I agree with your friend.  Great hamburger and I love the onion bun.  Their chicken burger is one of my favotites.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:49 AM, sceadugenga said:

Thanks for the news, we went past a couple of times last year but the hostess was not there.

Will certainly be checking it out in the near future.

Did you notice if she was still selling cheese etc out of her fridge?

Yeah, I did the same last year and took me a while to confirm she was open. Several contact numbers I tried for the same business said it was closed permanently!

Read into that what you want ????, hence I am hear letting everyone know she's open. 

No cheese for sale. 

Popped by Kurts C Rai Deli yesterday, he had loads if that helps.

• Like 1

This morning we had Breakfast at Chivit Thamma Da. 

I had Swedish PyttiPanna and my wife had Fried Rice with Mushroom. 

It was great, we were both very happy with the food. And it is very nice sitting in the garden looking over Kok River.

Link in Google Maps: https://g.page/ChivitThammada?share

ChivitThammaDa-1.jpg

ChivitThammaDa-2.jpg

ChivitThammaDa-4.jpg

Edited by XJ650
Adding a photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, XJ650 said:

We found our favorite Deli-girl in Food Wishes Baan Du the other day.  She was before in the deli behind Da Vinci in the city. 

A lot of good stuff in her new Deli. 

Link in Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/vHEm9MdF1N2HUbHC7

FoodWishes-1.JPG

FoodWishes-2.JPG

I went there Monday, she's moved out of the little shop into the Mexican restaurant next door.

Not sure what the plan is, maybe to put more business the restaurant's way. I looked at a menu while I waited and I must admit it looked tempting.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ribs and Co was busy today and still good value.

Fish and chips, pasta with mussels and a plate of chicken wings with four coffees was under 600B.

Wine buffs may be interested in a current promotion which included an Australian Shiraz for just over 1000B a bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Ribs and Co was busy today and still good value.

Fish and chips, pasta with mussels and a plate of chicken wings with four coffees was under 600B.

Wine buffs may be interested in a current promotion which included an Australian Shiraz for just over 1000B a bottle."

With respect, if you are talking about 1 plate of fish and chips, 1 plate of chicken wings. 1 plate of mussels and pasta and 4 coffees, this may (or may not) be reasonable value but hardly "good value".

As for Oz Shiraz at 1000 baht, do you ever go to TOPS and compare their retail price with the mark up at restaurants? For 1000 baht you could get something much better.

2 hours ago, blackprince said:

Wine buffs may be interested in a current promotion which included an Australian Shiraz for just over 1000B a bottle."

With respect, if you are talking about 1 plate of fish and chips, 1 plate of chicken wings. 1 plate of mussels and pasta and 4 coffees, this may (or may not) be reasonable value but hardly "good value".

As for Oz Shiraz at 1000 baht, do you ever go to TOPS and compare their retail price with the mark up at restaurants? For 1000 baht you could get something much better.

I'm not sure where you're used to eating, but 2 main meals, a side dish and 4 coffees for 600 Baht sounds like excellent value to me.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

BlackPrince- You are remarking on a wine being cheaper in a retail market than in a restaurant. Is there anywhere on the planet where this is not the case?

So yes, of course you can get better value in a retail store... not sure of your point.

AND, a lot of restaurants are lately charging B50 for coffee...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 6:51 PM, Will27 said:

I'm not sure where you're used to eating, but 2 main meals, a side dish and 4 coffees for 600 Baht sounds like excellent value to me.

I'm used to eating in Thailand, not sure about you.

But farang junk food is always overpriced here.

• Confused 1

On 4/5/2021 at 4:26 PM, blackprince said:

???? Handbags at dawn

6 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

???? Handbags at dawn

Had to smile at your handbag quip.

There are a few pics further up the threads that indicate what "fish and chips" and "chicken wings" look like. Definitely nothing like the real thing.

Foodie reviews here have always suffered from snobbery and inverse snobbery, or the search for cheapness or the need to indicate that an individual aspires to the the high life that they couldn't afford back home  - etc etc. But really, I don't get farangs who've apparently been here for decades and are still looking for cheap farang food to write home about. Still it takes all sorts I suppose.

I'm even more amused at one or two persons who crow about helping locals with 10p bags of sticky rice while while extolling the virtues of 1k bottles of wine, and no I'm not talking about the OP.

3 hours ago, blackprince said:

Had to smile at your handbag quip.

There are a few pics further up the threads that indicate what "fish and chips" and "chicken wings" look like. Definitely nothing like the real thing.

Foodie reviews here have always suffered from snobbery and inverse snobbery, or the search for cheapness or the need to indicate that an individual aspires to the the high life that they couldn't afford back home  - etc etc. But really, I don't get farangs who've apparently been here for decades and are still looking for cheap farang food to write home about. Still it takes all sorts I suppose.

I'm even more amused at one or two persons who crow about helping locals with 10p bags of sticky rice while while extolling the virtues of 1k bottles of wine, and no I'm not talking about the OP.

Just having a laugh  ????

To be fair, you can get some really good food here in CR.

If want western stuff ,i generally hit Makro and home cook.

I am nearer to Mae Sai ,so i cant be arsed to travel 1hr + for a western meal.

Most places aren't open at the moment anyhow.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SplitInfinitive said:

Saifon's German Bakery has moved, as patrons have possibly noticed.

She's not too good at giving directions on the phone but I finally found it today.

Coming off of 1211....

IMG_1179 saifon bakery.png

Thanks for the update.  Great fresh bread.  I love the pretzel rolls

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...