Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

We gave Blue Sky a try this weekend. Arrived at 5:25, looked like the place was open, went in, ordered and received the order before 6:00. Quick service. Ordered two styles so we could sample the differences offered, found both on the lower side of mediocre. The wife weighed in with her opinion first and that was "We won't eat here again". The outer edge of the crust is really good but things go downhill after that. Found the toppings to be pretty sparse on both pizzas.

The place was busy enough. Lots of farang live within walking distance of the place and that is a plus for the customers and the shop. Nice to not have to get in the car to find food sometimes, so I think the place will be open for a while.

150 baht per pizza.

Tree House has better pizza for my money but maybe the type and style that Blue Sky has is just what some people like. One of the Blue Sky pizzas even reminded me a little bit of Corleone's pizza and Corleone's was a definite one time deal for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I had the cheesy cheeseburger at "Nice Kitchen" yesterday. For my money, they do the best cheeseburger in CR. The burger is about the closest in CR that I have found to the kind of burger I grew up enjoying. I usually order two and they bring one for me to start on and then deliver the second one about five minutes later. They don't skimp on anything when they build the burger. The burger is a nice step up from the tot-sized burgers that most other cafes in town serve. The fries aren't bad, either. They do serve Thai dishes as well, which the wife always orders and they are very good but I go there for the burgers.

The American breakfast at Nice Kitchen is typical of the CR American breakfast except perhaps it is larger than most. Of course, the American breakfast doesn't include any fried potatoes or any of the sausages that one finds for breakfast in the U. S. Nice Kitchen serves, as do all others that I have found in CR, hot-dog style sausages. So, the American breakfast is about as American as the french fries in the U.S. are French. I think the lunch burger makes up for the mistakes they make with the breakfast.

I do know about the burger at the golf course by the old airport. When it is good, it is good but they aren't consistent. Sometimes it is great, sometimes it is a big disappointment. I hate taking chances on burgers. When I'm ready for a burger, I don't like disappointment. Nice Kitchen never varies on their burger, probably because the owner is the cook; there is no turnover of kitchen staff at the Nice Kitchen. Same quality, same service, every time. "Chance" doesn't enter into the deal at Nice Kitchen.

The cafe is on the pinned Google map. The location is Jedyod Road.

Had a good meal at the first Thai restaurant on the river going East from the Super Highway bridge last night.

Was curious when I saw the Yunan Chinese place further down, anybody recommend it?

I have been to that Yunnan place but 6-7 years ago. Dirty, very lazy and I must say stupid people serving. The food was hardly eatable and the bill was very, very expensive. :)

So then you know why I have not been back!

It is the absolute worst place I have been to in the province!

:D:D:D

Edit: Reading the post I must change: The people was not dirty, it was the restaurant, the tables and the tablecloths that were dirty! But the people serving was lazy, not at all interested and had problem to understand. I was there with a thai lady so it was not just a stupid farang noone could understand.

Edited by svenivan

Thanks Sven, I enjoyed the meal at the Thai place, great ambience by the river and seriously cute waitresses but on the expensive side, 1300B? for three with draft Heineken.

Had a mix of Farang and Thai customers, upper middle class, no backpackers. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I recently tried the food at Coconuts on Jedyod road. The place is located between the Cat Bar and the Siam corner restaurant. My companions ordered different items from the varied menu. Quite a few western style items are available. I had the fish and chips, as well as the ceasar salad. The fish was a large breaded fish-steak. It is the best piece of fish I have had in Thailand. The chips were surprisingly good; not the usual tiny french fries that are offered at so many CR restaurants/cafes. My companions were pleased with their selections. The prices are fair, in my opinion. Our visit occurred in the early evening, prior to "party time" on Jedyod Rd. The only detractor I found in my visit was blaring music from the sound system that seemed intent on informing passer-bys that a huge party was in progress inside. There was no party; only a few people enjoying a meal but having to communicate in loud voices in order to be heard over the sound system.

I will give it another try sometime. The food was too good to not give it another chance. If the music is being played at that volume level again, that will be my last visit. Maybe I should mention to the owner that the music is too loud but a person shouldn't have to tell an owner something like that. The ambience should be well thought out and planned. With that supposition in mind, I think the owner must prefer to allow that style of atmosphere to define his establishment. Those choices will define his clientèle as well.

Edited by kandahar

Do they do lunch? What do you call a reasonable price? Explain yourself man....

The noise wouldn't bother me I'm deaf any way.

Sooooo, you return from your little trip and you're just full of questions. Well, let me try to help you out here.

I have no idea whether or not they serve lunch. But I am hoping that you will find out that answer and post it here.

I used the word "fair" when referring to the prices. Basically, for the quality and the size of the serving, it was a fair price. But I don't recall the prices. The wife says the fish and chips was 150 baht, the ceasar salad was 80 baht and the bangers and mash was 120 baht. She has a pretty good memory for baht-related things. I have to actually make a mental note to remember such things if I want to and my mental notebook didn't have any blank pages that night.

If you can get past the loud noise, or if it is a quieter time when you visit, I think you may well add the place to your list of favourites. I would like to add it to my list but I really believe that the owner thinks that loud music contributes to the experience. It may well do that for some. I'm old and irritable and I don't need to be shouting to enjoy a conversation. I was so impressed with the fish that I will be sorely disappointed if the loud music is standard fare there at that time of evening. Later, it would make sense. A bar full of people perhaps justifies turning up the volume. A few quiet people enjoying an early evening meal doesn't qualify for such treatment.

As for how the place is decorated and laid out, it is pretty standard for that type of establishment in CR. And don't go to asking me to expound on that. I'm trying to do nothing today.

You know the parking situation on that street. But we take the Phantom when we are going to areas like that. A guy can always find a place to park a motorcycle.

Now, what did I leave out? Oh, yeah. Jubby's in-laws were nowhere to be seen.

Edited by kandahar

I recently tried the food at Coconuts on Jedyod road. The place is located between the Cat Bar and the Siam corner restaurant. My companions ordered different items from the varied menu. Quite a few western style items are available. I had the fish and chips, as well as the ceasar salad. The fish was a large breaded fish-steak. It is the best piece of fish I have had in Thailand. The chips were surprisingly good; not the usual tiny french fries that are offered at so many CR restaurants/cafes. My companions were pleased with their selections. The prices are fair, in my opinion. Our visit occurred in the early evening, prior to "party time" on Jedyod Rd. The only detractor I found in my visit was blaring music from the sound system that seemed intent on informing passer-bys that a huge party was in progress inside. There was no party; only a few people enjoying a meal but having to communicate in loud voices in order to be heard over the sound system.

I will give it another try sometime. The food was too good to not give it another chance. If the music is being played at that volume level again, that will be my last visit. Maybe I should mention to the owner that the music is too loud but a person shouldn't have to tell an owner something like that. The ambience should be well thought out and planned. With that supposition in mind, I think the owner must prefer to allow that style of atmosphere to define his establishment. Those choices will define his clientèle as well.

I don't usually frequent bars or eat farang food as I love Thai food too much, but I do go to that bar sometimes to watch sport, and I know from regulars that loud music is not the norm there.

Welcome back Scea, must have that coffee sometime.

• 1 month later...

I just came across this topic a while ago, read up to page 2 and jump straight to the last page.

3 years ago, i complain to my wife's cousin that i couldn't find a decent steak house that serve accounting to what i order. I asked for medium rare, it always comes up well done...sometime roasted ! Then she told me to try Family Bakery House, went there, ordered a T-Bone that cost 150 THB back then....It was near perfect !!! On a iron hot plate, sizzled, i care less for the corn, veg and fries at the side, my eyeballs were fixed on that BIG steak, told the owner : "You better not disappoint me ~ " He smiled and brought the condiment basket.... I inspected the steak, it is more than an inch thick, cut off a piece and it is MR (medium rare ), ffffffffffinally !!!!! Next ! The bowl of brown sauce, tasted it...it's done right too. Contented, i pour the bowl of brown sauce over it and chow away...

Been there about ten times , the place is not at its prime anymore, i could imagine how nice it looks like when it was open 5-6 years ago. The countyard at the back of the restaurant has not been maintain....tall grasses and lot of weeds, untidy and lot of mosquitos too. The price of the T-Bone was raised twice, from 150 to 180 then 200 THB, when i patronized 3 days ago. This time somethings went wrong ! Ordered the T-Bone as usual, the bun was changed to a slice of toast, the brown sauce was change to spaghetti sauce, The steak was down sized from more than an inch to not more that 2 cm, the server was the same untrain girl, know her habit, i reminded her twice - Medium Rare PLEASE ! The steak came in medium to medium well !!! *Sign and let it be ~ But when i went to tell her to pack another T-Bone to take away, i told her medium rare. She repeated my order unenthusiastically saying " 1 Medium T-Bone, take away~" That's when i confirm it was her fault so i went straight to the chef and told her to do my take away order medium rare. The lady chef ask was my previous steak too cook? I told her a big yes ! but i assure her it's not a big issue, just get my other order right this time.

Although they have cut cost, other than the unenthusiastic server, i'd still regard this steak house to the best in Chiang Rai. :)

Edited by RedBullHorn

I just came across this topic a while ago, read up to page 2 and jump straight to the last page.

3 years ago, i complain to my wife's cousin that i couldn't find a decent steak house that serve accounting to what i order. I asked for medium rare, it always comes up well done...sometime roasted ! Then she told me to try Family Bakery House, went there, ordered a T-Bone that cost 150 THB back then....It was near perfect !!! On a iron hot plate, sizzled, i care less for the corn, veg and fries at the side, my eyeballs were fixed on that BIG steak, told the owner : "You better not disappoint me ~ " He smiled and brought the condiment basket.... I inspected the steak, it is more than an inch thick, cut off a piece and it is MR (medium rare ), ffffffffffinally !!!!! Next ! The bowl of brown sauce, tasted it...it's done right too. Contented, i pour the bowl of brown sauce over it and chow away...

Been there about ten times , the place is not at its prime anymore, i could imagine how nice it looks like when it was open 5-6 years ago. The countyard at the back of the restaurant has not been maintain....tall grasses and lot of weeds, untidy and lot of mosquitos too. The price of the T-Bone was raised twice, from 150 to 180 then 200 THB, when i patronized 3 days ago. This time somethings went wrong ! Ordered the T-Bone as usual, the bun was changed to a slice of toast, the brown sauce was change to spaghetti sauce, The steak was down sized from more than an inch to not more that 2 cm, the server was the same untrain girl, know her habit, i reminded her twice - Medium Rare PLEASE ! The steak came in medium to medium well !!! *Sign and let it be ~ But when i went to tell her to pack another T-Bone to take away, i told her medium rare. She repeated my order unenthusiastically saying " 1 Medium T-Bone, take away~" That's when i confirm it was her fault so i went straight to the chef and told her to do my take away order medium rare. The lady chef ask was my previous steak too cook? I told her a big yes ! but i assure her it's not a big issue, just get my other order right this time.

Although they have cut cost, other than the unenthusiastic server, i'd still regard this steak house to the best in Chiang Rai. :)

Forget about steak here!

I've never had a decent one here, let it be one of the treats when you return to the West.

Better to eat delicious Thai food here when eating out, so many restaurants serving nutrition food, eat there 5 times for the same cost as that rotten T-bone.

I made myself a nice steak and onion sandwich tonight. Local killed beef, sliced it thin and gave it a few whacks with the back of the knife.

I find the flavour quite tasty, I've never minded steak a bit tough, cuts like fillet always seem a little bland tasting to me. Have to cook it quick and rare as well.

Local killed beef cannot produced a good steak here simply because it is not hung.

The biggest providers of beef in Chiang Rai are a large muslim family and most of that is sold immediatly.

To produce a really nice steak, beef should be hung for at least a week to 3 weeks in a temperature controlled room but in doing so there is a weight loss and so the price increases.

Although they have cut cost, other than the unenthusiastic server, i'd still regard this steak house to the best in Chiang Rai. :D

Forget about steak here!

I've never had a decent one here, let it be one of the treats when you return to the West.

Better to eat delicious Thai food here when eating out, so many restaurants serving nutrition food, eat there 5 times for the same cost as that rotten T-bone.

:D....true ~ but still better than the stupid shop along the Night Bazaar stretch...ordered a steak, i got beef patty :)

• 1 month later...

Local killed beef cannot produced a good steak here simply because it is not hung.

The biggest providers of beef in Chiang Rai are a large muslim family and most of that is sold immediatly.

To produce a really nice steak, beef should be hung for at least a week to 3 weeks in a temperature controlled room but in doing so there is a weight loss and so the price increases.

"I got nasty habits / I drink tea at three

and the meat I eat for dinner, must be hung up for a week."

. . . . . . .'LIVE WITH ME' The Rolling Stones

I'll pass on the beef, thanks. I don't particularly care for stuff in my gut that takes two weeks to digest. Plus, I's rather see my bovine brothers and sisters ambling around the fields, than sliced up on a plate with blood oozing out.

"I got nasty habits / I drink tea at three

and the meat I eat for dinner, must be hung up for a week."

. . . . . . .'LIVE WITH ME' The Rolling Stones

I'll pass on the beef, thanks. I don't particularly care for stuff in my gut that takes two weeks to digest. Plus, I's rather see my bovine brothers and sisters ambling around the fields, than sliced up on a plate with blood oozing out.

Well done is the way to go.

as another thread says arroy maak maak.

shutterstock_2995311.jpg

if you love masticating red flesh, why not 'kill 2 birds with one stone' and eat some of the untended dogs that r everywhere? Perhaps the flesh is a bit stringy, but that will enhance your tough image, and build up your cheek muscles.

BB, you build up my cheek muscles when you make me smile with your words on here.

I was raised on beef. But I am also an animal lover and have had more than a few calves and cows as friends when I was a kid. I don't relate the two, friends and food..

I see Myanmar is going to allow elections in Nov. Doubt there will be any changes though.

They sure hurt their own economy when they are so strict with tourists

if you love masticating red flesh, why not 'kill 2 birds with one stone' and eat some of the untended dogs that r everywhere? Perhaps the flesh is a bit stringy, but that will enhance your tough image, and build up your cheek muscles.

I agree about the Dogs, Its the Low kow that always seems to accompany this delacacy that always puts me off. I suppose I could try some Daddies or HP instead though. or maybe some red Wine.

I'm confused about 'Brahmburgers' though. I always thought maybe you were fond of a masticating a particular sort of Indian Cow . I was clearly wrong. ............. again ;)

I agree about the Dogs, Its the Low kow that always seems to accompany this delacacy that always puts me off. I suppose I could try some Daddies or HP instead though. or maybe some red Wine.

I'm confused about 'Brahmburgers' though. I always thought maybe you were fond of a masticating a particular sort of Indian Cow . I was clearly wrong. ............. again ;)

no, when I was 24, a Hindu swami gave me the name 'Brahma'. I dropped the name when I moved to Thailand in '98, but thought to use the name Brahmburgers as it has a bit of a ring to it. I can see how it could be construed to convey the idea of eating Brahma cows and bulls. If I have a weakness for any type of food, it's for chocolate. I just found Aung Saung suu ki (sp?) Burma's 1st lady, is a chocoholic also, so I'm in good company. I'd like to sneak over there (maybe swim across the lake to her house) and give her some top quality chocolate. More realistically: I could submit (to her minders) to be a piano tutor, and if she accepts me, I could get to know her that way. Then possibly write a best selling bio about her - then, when she gets re-elected to her rightful place as Burma's PM, she would marry me and we'd live happily ever after. ...is there dopamine in chocolate?

no, when I was 24, a Hindu swami gave me the name 'Brahma'. I dropped the name when I moved to Thailand in '98, but thought to use the name Brahmburgers as it has a bit of a ring to it. I can see how it could be construed to convey the idea of eating Brahma cows and bulls. If I have a weakness for any type of food, it's for chocolate. I just found Aung Saung suu ki (sp?) Burma's 1st lady, is a chocoholic also, so I'm in good company. I'd like to sneak over there (maybe swim across the lake to her house) and give her some top quality chocolate. More realistically: I could submit (to her minders) to be a piano tutor, and if she accepts me, I could get to know her that way. Then possibly write a best selling bio about her - then, when she gets re-elected to her rightful place as Burma's PM, she would marry me and we'd live happily ever after. ...is there dopamine in chocolate?

Your Sh!tting with me Brahms.

What are you smoking these days ;)

If I had to swim across a lake to a lady, I'm sure I wouldn't be thinking about playing the Piano , but I guess I'm a basic Man which would explain why I'm not very popular with the wives of the Guys on Here :D

Chang45 baht , Please tell me he's playing with me B)

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new restaurant in town.

The card is limited, but the food.......

Name of the place?

Sranang

Thanks for sharing!

This will really be an interesting addition to the Chiangrai culinary scene.

The Surinam kitchen, as far as I know it, shows very strong Hindustani influences.

The building of the former big Indian restaurant at the Paholyothin houses now a

modern skin clinic. A real pity that it never got going.

There are many nice small 'Muslim food' Indian restaurants, of which some are highly

recommendable. Ever tried the 'daal' in the restaurant about hundred meters into the

road opposite the entry of Santi Vitthayakom School? Perfect, it is not always

on the menue, but you can order it on forehand.

Though related with the Indian the Surinam kitchen has been developed in Surinam by

Hindu immigrants that mainly came from Java. Very interesting taste palette.

If I not just had a spaghetti bolognaise at the Swiss Deli I would be on my way.

Limbo :yohan:

Chicken Masala (hot chicken curry - Indian style), roti, sweet pork and all for more than reasonable prices.

The place where Il Pirata used to be is now occupied by Karel - a Dutch guy from Surinam origin cooking Surinam dishes.

Name of the place?

Sranang

Il Pirata ? Was that the Pizza-place between Wang Kham and Starbright?

:(:huh::blink:

Chicken Masala (hot chicken curry - Indian style), roti, sweet pork and all for more than reasonable prices.

The place where Il Pirata used to be is now occupied by Karel - a Dutch guy from Surinam origin cooking Surinam dishes.

Name of the place?

Sranang

Il Pirata ? Was that the Pizza-place between Wang Kham and Starbright?

:(:huh::blink:

Nah, thats another Italian place.

The Pirate was between a couple of bars on the other street that takes you to the night bazaar.

The soi across the road from the 'The Skin Clinic' which was formerly the Big Indian restaurant . It was sandwiched between two or three beer Bars, which also seem to have closed down. carry on down that street takes you close to the back of the Night market Toilets and then to the yellow seat area.

He did good Pizza

The Pirate was between a couple of bars on the other street that takes you to the night bazaar.

The soi across the road from the 'The Skin Clinic' which was formerly the Big Indian restaurant . It was sandwiched between two or three beer Bars, which also seem to have closed down. carry on down that street takes you close to the back of the Night market Toilets and then to the yellow seat area.

He did good Pizza

Yes, he was a bicylist and a fan of one of the greatest

Italians ever: Il Pirata!

And he was very lucky that another bicyclist was called

when the raid took place.

But from now on, please don't call me, call skybluestue,

as he certainly aside of his crusade to defend rottweilers

and bikers, will be prepared to defend illegally employed

foreign restaurant owners as well.

Please skybluestue, you have shown to have a big heart and

willingness to help people and I am sure you can shoulder this

task. If you are not sure about the procedures you can always

contact Willy as he seems to be a person who really knows how

to get things done.

I really appreciate the way Skybluestue and Willy are giving

their time and effort to help fellow foreigners to come along.

My respect gentlemen!

He did good Pizza

Yes, he was a bicylist and a fan of one of the greatest

Italians ever: Il Pirata!

And he was very lucky that another bicyclist was called

when the raid took place.

But from now on, please don't call me, call skybluestue,

as he certainly aside of his crusade to defend rottweilers

and bikers, will be prepared to defend illegally employed

foreign restaurant owners as well.

Please skybluestue, you have shown to have a big heart and

willingness to help people and I am sure you can shoulder this

task. If you are not sure about the procedures you can always

contact Willy as he seems to be a person who really knows how

to get things done.

I really appreciate the way Skybluestue and Willy are giving

their time and effort to help fellow foreigners to come along.

My respect gentlemen!

'My respect gentlemen!'

Nothing could be further from the truth! It's obvious you have very little, if any, respect for anyone on this forum Limbo.

Now if we all drove Lamorghini's I'm sure it would be a different story! How is your master anyway? ;)