Phuket Police Auction Seized Motorbikes

webfact

Phuket police auction seized motorbikes

phuket-1-GdPVlpl.jpg

Snr Sgt Maj Chalerm Tantapan solicits bids for one of the 18 motorbikes auctioned off Wednesday.

PHUKET: -- Chalong Police this week took the opportunity to clear out their car park with a public auction of motorbikes seized as evidence in drug-related cases.

It was short work, with all 18 motorbikes sold in an hour on Wednesday.

The proceeds, a total of 100,100 baht, will be handed over to the Ministry of Finance, said Snr Sgt Maj Chalerm Tantapan.

The lowest starting bid was 500 baht for a motorbike that sold for 1,500 baht.

The highest starting bid was 5,000 baht for a bike that eventually sold for 13,000 baht.

Considered among the best buys of the day was a Honda Click in very good condition that sold for 17,000 baht, from a starting bid of 3,500 baht.

About 30 people joined the auction, the first held by Chalong Police in about three years.

“There will be another auction around the end of this year. That one will will have cars and motorbikes up for auction,” said Chalerm.

“Anyone can join the auction, except people directly involved in organizing it,” he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-08-21

• Thanks 1

Of course this wouldnt be pre publicised only after the fact as it would increase the prices for the people in the know to pick up the bargains..

If that was the case the police could have just sold them off to friends at any time surely. I'm sure if you went down and made an offer at any time it would be considered.

Looks like a load of old tat to me.

Of course this wouldnt be pre publicised only after the fact as it would increase the prices for the people in the know to pick up the bargains..

That's what I was thinking :whistling:

I thought that as well at first. Then I thought, why would they announce it in a farang paper, when Thai's need a cheap motorbikes much more. And it's back to the old saying: Thailand is for Thais...