Biltong....... Is It Jerky?

EugeneCloete

Biltong is similar to Jerky.

The strips of meat are prepared with salt, pepper and any other flavour you like, then hung to dry in the sun. Not fried at all!

Spot on !! and is I'm told chiefly South African. :jap:.

Don't know what the English is for what we have here. Fried flavoured beef and Pork I guess. :whistling: .

Actually its South African, nothing to do with Kenya and its cured mainly with Salt & vinagar, not sun dried, its not fried or cooked.

Classic biltong has black pepper corns, but can get Chilli, peri-peri flavours, beef is ok, but Widerbeast, Kudo or Springbok is far better IMHO

Not even close to Jerky.....Jerky certainly comes in a far distant second in comparison with a decent piece of biltong of any variety

:blink:

A good 20 years ago or more I knew a Thai woman with an American boyfriend. She started a small small business herself making " beef jerky" for her friends. She used mainly water buffalo meat, marinated in her "secret" marinade, and then treated with crushed red peppers, various spices, and Papaya juice (cut into strips and coated with the spices/peppers/Papaya by hand). She had 3 or 4 flavors...I remember one was Spicy Shrimp Citrus (a spicy Shrimp/Lemon taste). After being coated with the spice mix the strips were slow dried in an oven. Anyway her business grew so quickly that she had to expand to several ovens. Filled up the whole back yard of her house. She had 6 Thai women working for her, just coating the meat strips at one time. She sold some in stores around Pattaya. It was the best "beef" jerky I've ever had...spicy yet tasty. I used to buy it by the kilo from her boyfriend. My family loved the Shrimp and the Crab taste jerky. Unfortunately she left with her boyfriend to live in Hawaii and I've never had any "beef" jerky like that since then.

If anyone has a recipie for any type of "Biltong" why don't you post it on here?

:lol:

Ok, ok. You got me- gotta try this stuff! Now... who knows where to go for good biltong in the greater Pattaya area (GPA)?

Mine comes every 6 weeks in the post from South Africa, or somebody I know who is in and out South Africa all the time, i.e. the Angola oil & gas guys, bring a few kgs back for me.

Dont know of anyone from Pattaya, but if you know guys working in Angola who pass through jo'berg on a regular basis, ask them to pick you some for you at the airport

There was one guy I got a couple of kgs off a few years ago who making Biltong and Droewors in Bangkok, never seen him again after that ...:realangry:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I would say similar ! Thinly sliced beef slowly fried in oil, some black peper and garlic.

Also thinly sliced dried pork slowly fried in some oil, soya I think & sugar.

Loads of it here in Sukhothai.

Mr. You don`t know what you are talking about!!

Fried in oil?

Where do you come from? Certainly not SA

Biltong is similar to Jerky.

The strips of meat are prepared with salt, pepper and any other flavour you like, then hung to dry in the sun. Not fried at all!

You don`t dry in the sun.

A hot place with a draft is all that`s needed, and you are not correct with the ingredients and method of preparing.

Actually its South African, nothing to do with Kenya and its cured mainly with Salt & vinagar, not sun dried, its not fried or cooked.

Classic biltong has black pepper corns, but can get Chilli, peri-peri flavours, beef is ok, but Widerbeast, Kudo or Springbok is far better IMHO

Not even close to Jerky.....Jerky certainly comes in a far distant second in comparison with a decent piece of biltong of any variety

Now here`s someone who knows Biltong, and true its nothing like Jerky. I have had both and Jerky is a poor 4th best.

Ok, ok. You got me- gotta try this stuff! Now... who knows where to go for good biltong in the greater Pattaya area (GPA)?

Mine comes every 6 weeks in the post from South Africa, or somebody I know who is in and out South Africa all the time, i.e. the Angola oil & gas guys, bring a few kgs back for me.

Dont know of anyone from Pattaya, but if you know guys working in Angola who pass through jo'berg on a regular basis, ask them to pick you some for you at the airport

There was one guy I got a couple of kgs off a few years ago who making Biltong and Droewors in Bangkok, never seen him again after that ...:realangry:

I met a Saffa named Julian [about 50] in Tesco Rama 9 last year who makes the stuff, but it seems he lost my phone #.

Any of you know him.

Its not hard to make and there are good recipes on the web like this http://www.africhef....ong-Recipe.html

and see http://www.biltongmakers.com/

I used to make my own in SA, but I dont have facilities or time here.

If some enterprising sort makes it I`ll buy a Kg a week.

Edited by wanderingstar

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some from http://www.buy-snacks-online.com (sorry if I am not allowed to post urls) which is in Thailand and it is really great stuff.

A hot afternoon with some friends over and a few beers, this place has the best tasting biltong in Thailand.

I'll second that... I got some 'tong and driewors from them. Paid by bank transfer. Good service with delivery by EMS to me in Phuket. Didn't last long!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about the real biltong, but if you go to Pattaya Tai at night, there are lots of market stalls selling all manner of foods. Amongst them are several selling died beef (neua), dried pork (moo) and the almost obligatory sticky rice. Note I'm NOT saying it's the same as biltong or jerky but rather the local equivalent - I love it!

BTW - Pattaya Tai is a long road - find TukCom, stay on the same side and walk towards Walking St and you will see the market stalls between (I think) 6PM and midnight.

Not sure about the real biltong, but if you go to Pattaya Tai at night, there are lots of market stalls selling all manner of foods. Amongst them are several selling died beef (neua), dried pork (moo) and the almost obligatory sticky rice. Note I'm NOT saying it's the same as biltong or jerky but rather the local equivalent - I love it!

BTW - Pattaya Tai is a long road - find TukCom, stay on the same side and walk towards Walking St and you will see the market stalls between (I think) 6PM and midnight.

Thanks, but I've tried a few of the different Thai kinds of dried meats and I've seen pictures and read the description/definition of Biltong... and that ain't it. The Thai stuff isn't bad, it's just not the same thing... I reckon.

• 1 year later...

I bought some from http://www.buy-snacks-online.com (sorry if I am not allowed to post urls) which is in Thailand and it is really great stuff.

A hot afternoon with some friends over and a few beers, this place has the best tasting biltong in Thailand.

Looks like that the URL is not working any more.

Does anybody knows where i can buy this Biltong online in Thailand?

If you have an oven turn the temp to like 150 fahrenheit and leave the door cracked open overnight about 4-5 inches, thats the way dear old dad use to make it, i have a feeling it was similar to the biltong you guys are talking about.