Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link Officially Starts Commercial Services

webfact

Glad they set up the airport checking location at Makkasan, which has no MRT or BTS direct connection... Really convenient and smart planning...

I thought they were going to do some kind of similar airport check-in deal at Phyathai... But guess I'm wrong about that???

Let's think now... got 3 or 4-50 pound suitcases for an international flight. Do I want to lug them from Makkasan on the 10-minute plus walk on a nothing/nowhere street down to the Petchburi MRT station or visa versa... Or if not, take a cab to/from Makkasan... And if I'm going to do that, might as well just stick with a taxi straight from the airport...

I think a bit of psychology needs to come into play here... Living in Thailand, you learn to put up with all kinds of perceived day-to-day nuisances... But when I'm traveling to or from the airport for an international flight, hassles are the last thing I want... No lugging bags down the street. No lugging bags up and/or down staircases at the stations. No transferring from one train to another on the ARL...

I want to dump/stow my bags and then just go... go to the airport.... or go home after a long flight. Not engage is a baggage triathalon navigating multiple rail lines, stairs, and walking down streets in the middle of nowhere...

Glad they set up the airport checking location at Makkasan, which has no MRT or BTS direct connection... Really convenient and smart planning...

I thought they were going to do some kind of similar airport check-in deal at Phyathai... But guess I'm wrong about that???

Let's think now... got 3 or 4-50 pound suitcases for an international flight. Do I want to lug them from Makkasan on the 10-minute plus walk on a nothing/nowhere street down to the Petchburi MRT station or visa versa... Or if not, take a cab to/from Makkasan... And if I'm going to do that, might as well just stick with a taxi straight from the airport...

I think a bit of psychology needs to come into play here... Living in Thailand, you learn to put up with all kinds of perceived day-to-day nuisances... But when I'm traveling to or from the airport for an international flight, hassles are the last thing I want... No lugging bags down the street. No lugging bags up and/or down staircases at the stations. No transferring from one train to another on the ARL...

I want to dump/stow my bags and then just go... go to the airport.... or go home after a long flight. Not engage is a baggage triathalon navigating multiple rail lines, stairs, and walking down streets in the middle of nowhere...

Yes ... agree. I live a 10-15 min taxi ride (average traffic) from Makkasan and still don't think I would use it ... but with check in there, it potentially saves an hour, particularly in peak or rain affected traffic.

What exact kind of "check-in" are they talking about doing at Makkasan???

Luggage check-in? Airline flight check in? Immigration check-out/clearance? Security screening?

Luggage and airline flight check in (apparently not available until the end of the year). You still need to go through immigration and security at the airport.