Non-immigrant Visa Expires Soon

I have a non-immigrant B visa which expires in August, but I have no work permit yet so am unable to apply for a new non-immigrant visa.

If I leave the country the day before the non-immigrant visa expires, will I automatically get a 90-day extension if I re-enter the next day?

Also, once my non-immigrant visa has expired, can I apply for a 60-day tourist visa from a neighbouring country (eg Cambodia) or do I have to go back to my home country (UK)? If I can apply from a neighbouring country, should I go to their Thai embassy or consulate, or can I apply at their airport?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Mat.

Mat -

I am not sure whether you understand the difference between a "visa" and an "entry permit". The visa is the decal or stamp placed in your passport by a Thai diplomatic post outside Thailand. If it was a single entry visa, and is now stamped "USED," then it is dead and gone, and cannot be used again.

If you have a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa that has a "use before" or "enter before" date, then any time you enter Thailand on or before that date, you receive a fresh 90 day entry permit.

You are presently in Thailand on a non-immigrant, 90-day entry permit. Once you depart Thiland, that entry permit is dead and gone, and has no influence upon your next entry into Thailand.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

1. A visa can be single or multi entry - only a multi entry could be used for another entry.

2. A visa is marked valid until or use before - you would need to cross border the day before it expires and return that same day to be in conformance with the English language usage. Not sure this is how immigration reads it but I have had them point out I must return immediately when I have crossed the day before expiration.

3. You should be able to receive a tourist visa at any Royal Thai Consulate. These are located in major foreign cities and normally within Embassies. Not at airports.

Thanks a lot for your help. My non-immigrant visa is multiple-entry, so from what you say I should be able to re-enter the country before the visa expires and give myself another 90 days.

Thanks again,

Mat.

I have a non-immigrant B visa which expires in August, but I have no work permit yet so am unable to apply for a new non-immigrant visa.

If I leave the country the day before the non-immigrant visa expires, will I automatically get a 90-day extension if I re-enter the next day?

Also, once my non-immigrant visa has expired, can I apply for a 60-day tourist visa from a neighbouring country (eg Cambodia) or do I have to go back to my home country (UK)? If I can apply from a neighbouring country, should I go to their Thai embassy or consulate, or can I apply at their airport?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Mat.

There are no rules stating that you cannot apply for a new non-immigrant B visa.

You need all the correct documentation and a feasible reason for needing a new multi-entry visa. I am on my third such visa but will be applying for a work permit this time. My last one was issued in London in May with no questions asked. I do however own a Thai company and am a shareholder in another.

There are no rules stating that you cannot apply for a new non-immigrant B visa.

You need all the correct documentation and a feasible reason for needing a new multi-entry visa. I am on my third such visa but will be applying for a work permit this time. My last one was issued in London in May with no questions asked. I do however own a Thai company and am a shareholder in another.

That's very interesting. I thought you had to have a work permit in order to get a 2nd non-immigrant visa. In any case, I am not really able to go back to the UK next month to apply for it - it would be easier simply to extend this one by 90 days and try to arrange a work permit during that time, I think.

Mat.