Phuket Resorts Lax In Warning Tourists Of Surf Dangers: Poll

webfact

Phuket resorts lax in warning tourists of surf dangers: poll

phuket-1-JCuVXbs.jpg

Riptides, not big waves, are responsible for most of the tourist drownings.

PHUKET: -- Almost 75% of Phuket Gazette readers polled feel that resorts on the island are not doing enough to warn their guests of the potential dangers at beaches during the monsoon season.

The poll was prompted by a recent spate of tourist drownings and a call by exasperated members of the Phuket Lifeguard Club for more cooperation from resorts.

Overall, 74.1% of readers thought resorts were not doing enough to warn tourists, while just 25.9% thought they were.

In a breakdown by demographics, local expat residents were the most pessimistic, with 80% saying resorts weren’t doing enough.

Among voters who identified themselves as Thai, 68% thought resorts weren’t doing enough.

Among tourists and visitors, 63% thought resorts weren’t doing enough.

Overall, 448 readers took part in the poll, which was posted on August 9.

Almost half of those who took part identified themselves as foreign residents.

To view the complete results, click here.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-08-23

Some of the "lifeguards" here can't swim in the surf themselves. I personally haven't seen one of them even enter the water. I was a judge at the Kata surf contest a couple of years ago and at least one Thai surfer had to be rescued by a farang surfer. The way to get out of a "riptide" is to swim parallel to the shore until you are out of the riptide area and then swim ashore. You can see riptides as the water is brown with the sand it is carrying out to sea and waves don't break in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the "lifeguards" here can't swim in the surf themselves. I personally haven't seen one of them even enter the water. I was a judge at the Kata surf contest a couple of years ago and at least one Thai surfer had to be rescued by a farang surfer. The way to get out of a "riptide" is to swim parallel to the shore until you are out of the riptide area and then swim ashore. You can see riptides as the water is brown with the sand it is carrying out to sea and waves don't break in the area.

Of all the topics dear to my heart after six years living on Phuket ( and two years now absent) _ I am sick up and fed of the same old discussions and statistics regurgitated about the lack of surf safety and drownings on Phuket beaches.

When will the resorts and tourism/ safety authorities say "enough deaths already!" - we will tackle this problem now!!! ? Bring in the Bondi Lifesavers if that is what it takes...

Come on Thai people - how many billions more bahts do you need to earn in order to spend some serious money on training and equipment to keep your tourists (dollars) safe from dying on Phuket beaches during the ever-busy, danger-ridden, monsoon season? Do it now ... keep the beaches safe- NOW!!!

:ph34r: